Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187360 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 02:32:27 AM »
Well, I assume one reads reviews of bands he already is a fan of, because there's interest and anticipation. If someone mentions a band I never listened to, it's not that I go looking up for reviews either.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 02:33:50 AM »
I honestly have to say I don't think I've ever seen such universal positivity from the album reviews leading up to a DT release before. I only hope it continues once we've all heard it. Everything about this pre-release build-up has had incredibly good vibes about it, from the way all five members created the album together in the same room, to how involved in interviews all five have been. The hype from this fan has grown even more as a result of this. And we are almost there. It's Album Release Eve, DTF! Who's to say whether this is the last time we experience this with Dream Theater, so let's enjoy it and savour it.
Well said bro!    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 02:40:10 AM »
My Collectors Special Edition is coming today :metal ;D
Carpe diem baby

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 04:54:51 AM »
I have it guys! Bought it at my local store which always has DT albums available one day before official release. I'm gonna listen to track 1. Excited as hell!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 04:58:37 AM »
Lucky you! so I guess I will be basically one of the very last ones to hear the album  ;D tomorrow, during my lunch break (that's very early morning for the americans), I will grab this baby!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 05:05:11 AM »
Lucky you! so I guess I will be basically one of the very last ones to hear the album  ;D tomorrow, during my lunch break (that's very early morning for the americans), I will grab this baby!  :metal

Have just listend to UA. One word : nasty! The opening has a strong sense of déjà-vu, but man, it's really strong! And the sound is great (those drums, baby, those drums!)!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 05:08:07 AM »
I'm staying up for a pseudo-midnight release, where I start the singles at 11:43pm and play the album from Barstool at the midnight release.

Only 35 minutes left :caffeine:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 05:11:53 AM »

Have just listend to UA. One word : nasty! The opening has a strong sense of déjà-vu, but man, it's really strong! And the sound is great (those drums, baby, those drums!)!

B.Lee
Enjoy !!! Let us know !!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 05:14:45 AM »
I'm surprised people still read reviews. Why bother? If you come across a band name, go on YouTube or some other platform and just spend 5-10 minutes listening to their stuff instead of spending the same amount of time reading what someone else thought about it.

Umm...because we're excited and want to grab every little morsel we can about the album?

Jeez...no need to bring the mood down there. Why people feel they have to make everyone else as grumpy as they are beats me...

And there should be rules in place as regards full and open album discussion before most of the world has reached release day.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 05:15:25 AM »

B.Lee
Enjoy !!! Let us know !!

I will (both enjoy and let you know)!  :metal

B.Lee

Edit : I'm going out for the day. Just had time to listen to UA and won't be able to listen to the rest before probably tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:49:29 AM by Bertielee »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:21 AM »
My collector's box thingy just arrived (from Burning Shed). The lenticular cover is unusually good, I must say! The direction the skull is facing turns through several angles.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 05:49:41 AM »
My collector's box thingy just arrived (from Burning Shed). The lenticular cover is unusually good, I must say! The direction the skull is facing turns through several angles.

Cool!

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
Nice.  Since I ordered from Amazon it will not be here until the end of next week or later.  I always wonder why there is such a huge delivery difference from various places.  Burningshed always seems to be the best place to get anything on or before release.

Frank

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 06:21:16 AM »
Amazon (UK) was stating early yesterday morning that the box was going to be delivered on the 26 February. I figured I'd cancel the order and give Burning Shed a go instead for £3 more. Was surprised when I receiving the shipping notification on the same day. Result ;D

Here's my review: yes, it's good.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 07:03:48 AM »
Someone posted the drum track for "Pale Blue Dot" on EZdrummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqHNocfYKw

I Think that this is DT most anticipated album since ADTOE, and the wait is finally over!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 07:17:43 AM »
Someone posted the drum track for "Pale Blue Dot" on EZdrummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqHNocfYKw

I Think that this is DT most anticipated album since ADTOE, and the wait is finally over!
I doubt that this is the real drum part, rather some "mockup" of the thing (since we all know what EZdrummer does)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 07:17:49 AM »
Another positive review

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-review-distance-over-time-dream-theater/

Could it be their best album since Train Of Thought? ;)
I said earlier that I was reviewed out, but I did read this one. It's nice to see that someone was not afraid to give it a 10/10. 
 Usually people will give it a 9.5 even if they feel deep down inside that it's a perfect 10, probably just to make themselves sound more like a critic..  :lol

I find the 10/10 in itself questions the usefulness of the review. What is the reviewer saying, that it is amongst the best music albums of all time? Or is he saying it more DT-centric, that is, this album is better than IAW and SFAM? Judging from the released singles I personally already find that nigh impossible.

I like reviews that put an album in context with previous albums of the same band. No "JR unleashes a cornucopia of shred hitherto unknown" but rather "here is my personal DT album ranking, and here is where I place the new album in that ranking. It combines elements of album X and album Y...". I also like reviews where the reviewer is aware of her own "new car smell" excitement and rather gives a ranking based on how she expects to like the album in a year from now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:30:50 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »
"Cornucopia of Shred" would the quintessential title for an instrumental  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
Repeating what I said above: 

Since the album will be officially released in some countries in a matter of minutes, it is time to let the official discussion begin.  Those that have it legitimately, whether receiving an advance promo, having gotten their pre-order early, or being in a time zone where it is Friday are free to discuss.

As always, discussion of leaks or other illegal means of obtaining the album is prohibited and will result in being banned from this forum.

So...who's excited?  :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:55:59 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
Me! Tomorrow I will reenact the plan of three years ago for The Astonishing - lunch break, visit to the nearby chain store, purchase of the album, and listening in its entirety for the very first time, having avoided all the singles and promo material!

It's a bit like Christmas, the magic of waiting for an album and buy it and listening not knowing it beforehand it's something that I want to let go of  :yarr

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »
I'm excited but I'm afraid the uber-Christmas type excitement I once had for new DT releases no longer exists.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
I will be going to the launch event tonight in NYC. Pretty excited!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 08:09:31 AM »
I'm planning on listening once its out on Spotify.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »
Best DT record since SFAM, at least for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:47 AM »
Looking forward to this  :yarr

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
As feared, it's being released on my wife's birthday. I'm pretty excited.

Divorces are always exciting experiences.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »

Wow, you think it's THAT good, huh? They've released a shit ton of music since SFAM..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
It's a very good album, much better for me than their recent output...

...but (sorry, RoeDent!)... most of the vocals are just kind of there (for better or worse), and the dynamics, once again, appear to have been squished from the recording. (Will try the 5.1 mix at some point and also the vinyl to see if they're any different... here's hoping!)

Quibbles aside, I do honestly think the majority will enjoy the album. And I don't think we can ask for more than that.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »
Just been notified my box-set has been dispatched and is arriving on Saturday! Luckily I can stream the album on Apple Music at midnight, really looking forward to this one. :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2019, 08:32:43 AM »

Wow, you think it's THAT good, huh? They've released a shit ton of music since SFAM..

For me, yes. Read my comment in the now locked thread. It pretty much sums up where I'm at. This was a nice shot in the arm that I needed to be a DT fan again. I was not a fan of the post-Train of Thought material (I liked some of it, but it was really spotty) really until this record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »
EDIT:  Never mind.  I merged in some of the most recent posts from the other thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
Gee thanks Bosk! :lol

I actually read both yesterday (Samsara is always a "must read" in my book  ;)), and just went to the thread to re-read the post.

Sam, you mentioned emotion. I found it in spades all over ADTOE. I'm surprised you don't like that more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
:caffeine:

Spotify, I'm ready!

Offline genome

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »
Best album since Six Degrees. Two of the tracks made me well up with emotion and that NEVER happens.

You guys are gonna be chuffed with it.

Offline rab7

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
Best album since Six Degrees. Two of the tracks made me well up with emotion and that NEVER happens.

You guys are gonna be chuffed with it.

Which tracks?

Also, I don't think there's a single album where I didn't well up with emotion at least once