Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189286 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
I like this album. I haven't fallen in love with it (at least not yet), but I do find this an enjoyable album.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2019, 01:44:26 AM »
Wow, just wow...
Now I can't stop reading this in Owen Wilson's voice.
Hahaha was kind of purposeful, dream theater meme edition is so strong !
It's the same way that "what have been seen", we'll hear forever this wow
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Metropolis1928

« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2019, 02:18:22 AM »
I listened to it this morning on my way to work because I could not wait anymore.

It is a great album. I really don't care much for the singles (Paralyzed may be the best one, but still very "ok-ish") but oh my god, the rest of the album. Absolutely fantastic.

Current favourites Room 137, S2N (that JM riff!!!) and... Viper King. (Seriously, I almost jumped out of the chair when Viper King started :rollin, I really was not expecting that at all. Incredibly fun song). I guess that At Wit's End and PBD will need a little bit more time to sink in. Barstool Warrior has great moments but I'm not in love with it yet.

I'm incredibly happy with this album. I will do my ranking too, which right now should be:

SFAM
I&W
6 Degrees
ToT
Awake
FII
D/T
ADTOE
8V
SC
BCSL
DT12
WDADU

(I really cannot place TA, I really like it, but it is so different that a comparison isn't fair)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2019, 02:26:54 AM »
6/10

A step up from The Astonishing and the self-titled which were both 100% forgettable for me. Has a few positive moments like Barstool Warrior (despite its name) and At Wit's End. Has some songs that feel like b-side DT but overall feels like a more collaborative effort than their last few albums. Not quite as good as ADTOE out of the Mangini albums (i'd say that is 7/10).

Probably won't revisit the album but wasn't as hard to get through as the last two.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2019, 02:40:59 AM »
I'm in the solo of Viper King at the end of my first spin through. (I have the day off and this listen is my first business of the day)

I'm absolutely DELIGHTED by this record. So much energy and togetherness. And it sounds great. Massive rush of smiles to the face. Hit all the important spots for me. I've said many times that I want to hear the sound of the band in a room, creating and rocking out together and this is our. I only wish they continue this approach. And take it even further. More room ambience and chatter, etc.

But that's getting off the point. I've been a fan since SFAM but nothing has hit the heights for me since 6DOIT. Until now! Thanks, guys! Amazing job. Welcome back. :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:13 AM »
The part with:
"Deafening, deafening
Shout it out, shout it out
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2019, 02:56:30 AM »
The part with:
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

It does ring a bell for me as well, but I can't point my finger on it. What is certain is that it's one of James' neatest moments on the album (vocal hooks in this song are just great overall).

Offline gborland

« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2019, 02:58:43 AM »
I got the 96/24 hi-res FLAC download from HDTracks. (Use the "NEWHD15" discount code for 15% off.)

Sounds pretty amazing so far.
Graham Borland

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2019, 03:07:26 AM »
The short bit at the end of At Wit's End is live off the floor.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline genome

« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:17 AM »
I got the 96/24 hi-res FLAC download from HDTracks. (Use the "NEWHD15" discount code for 15% off.)

Any noticeable difference between the regular and HD versions? I remember DT12 having a huge difference in dynamic range, it was worlds apart from the regular release (for the better).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2019, 03:11:38 AM »
The short bit at the end of At Wit's End is live off the floor.

Yeah, I read that too. Awesome
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gborland

« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2019, 03:12:30 AM »
Any noticeable difference between the regular and HD versions? I remember DT12 having a huge difference in dynamic range, it was worlds apart from the regular release (for the better).

I don't have a regular version to compare to. (Well, Spotify streaming, but that sounds shit regardless.)
Graham Borland

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2019, 03:15:28 AM »

Yes. Compare this: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159075 (320k mp3 and CD data) to this: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159292 (Hires version)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2019, 03:27:56 AM »

Yes. Compare this: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159075 (320k mp3 and CD data) to this: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/159292 (Hires version)

Could you elaborate on what those number mean? Is a lower number an index of greater or smaller dynamic range?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
Lower number = less dynamics, lower range
Higher number =  more dynamics, higher range

(the higher the number, the easier on the ears)

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:12 AM »
The part with:
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

I get a "Burning my soul" vibe, the lyric arrangement in the chorus(with an octave on the top) feels similar...Which I think is a good thing.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:34 AM »
First impressions.

I like it but I don't love it yet.

Notwithstanding the short duration, there's A LOT of stuff in there, will take a long time to digest properly.

Mangini is clearly the MVP, IMHO is best ever drum performance in all DT-History.

So far Paralyzed is my favorite..yeah, it's short and in 4/4 but it's just super cool.

S2N is also cool, and Wit's End has beautiful moments.

Pale Blue Dot is much heavier and sinister-er that I expected...my first listen was really "meeh" but if you set yourself in the right mood is cool.

Overll I lack some melodies...that's what missing to make it a "magic" album.

I would rate it in the middle, above DT12 and all the latest Portnoy stream (ToT-BCSL) but below ADTOE and The Astonishing, and the initial masterpieces.

A lot of interesting guitar stuff to practice though...:)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline genome

« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2019, 03:40:11 AM »

Interesting. Seems like it's a pretty loud album still (RMS around -8 is on the loud side*). And for some reason Pale Blue Dot is louder! But the peaks have come down. It might buy it and see if there's an audible difference in the sound.

The HDTracks version of DT12 had an RMS of about -12 per track which actually made a difference to the sound of the album, there was more separation, everything breathed a little more.

*Death Magnetic by Metallica has an RMS of -3 on some tracks which is hilarious

Offline LTE777

« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:24 AM »
No words to describe how good this album is....DT has been my fav band since FII and right before Scenes was released and although I love every album as its all DT, I haven't had a wow moment in a long while.  This album has certainly changed that but I cant quite put my finger on why.  I am usually disappointed when DT releases a new album and then after the next album is released, I go back to it and it becomes a 'classic' to my ears and as every bit as good to me as SFAM.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:41:57 AM by LTE777 »

Offline efx

« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:01 AM »
I'm always wary of posting initial thoughts when an album is so fresh but so far it ticks a lot of boxes for me. I think the production is really good, listening to the HDtracks version in FLAC and it's quite a bit better than Spotify.
Songwriting wise this feels a lot like an improved version of what they were going for on DT12, an album I really wanted to like because of how it was set up but not something I go back to very often.

Other people have said it already but the stretch of BW to AWE is phenomenal and the strongest part of the album.
I love how there's almost no rhythm guitar during the solos, really cool to hear what's going on underneath those parts and it highlights the solo part even more. And this is by far JP's best melodic writing since the 90's for me. The album has at times a strong FII feel rather than a I&W feel and I think that's due to some of the more sparse and open arrangements.

Overall I'm super pleased with this album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:54 AM »

Interesting. Seems like it's a pretty loud album still (RMS around -8 is on the loud side*). And for some reason Pale Blue Dot is louder! But the peaks have come down. It might buy it and see if there's an audible difference in the sound.

The HDTracks version of DT12 had an RMS of about -12 per track which actually made a difference to the sound of the album, there was more separation, everything breathed a little more.

*Death Magnetic by Metallica has an RMS of -3 on some tracks which is hilarious
and what's odd is that the CD is actually more dynamic than the Hires (that was the case with the TA CD master too) as opposed to SC until DT12

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2019, 04:00:04 AM »
And this is by far JP's best melodic writing since the 90's for me.

By a mile, yes.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2019, 04:13:52 AM »
I'm very happy with the musical direction of this album. It's like DT for gym! It's a very guitar oriented album, but it is far from being unidimensional like ToT.
Barstool Warrior, S2N and At Wit's End are classic, perfect DT songs. FITL is a strong single. All the shortest songs on the album also work really well.
In fact, I'm enjoying sooo much Room 137 and Viper King. Totally killer rockers with HEEEAVY rhythm guitars!!! Killer Hammond work by Jordan in Viper King also - Derek Sherinian on steroids! For me, Viper King fits perfectly in the diversity of styles of the album. IMO it could be somewhere in the middle of the album, just like Room 137, which also have that very different vibe for a DT song. However, I thought its bonus track's placement looks great ... a way to end a more serious album in a fun way! As the final credits of the Guardians of the Galaxy 2. But, to me, Viper King is a totally relevant part of the album.
Kind of a "forgotten song" by reviews, I do think Out of Reach is a great ballad. That JP solo in Satriani mode is wonderful and that JLB solo albums vibe is also great! By the way, I think the great melodies happens a lot through the album, maybe the greatest TA influence here!
The only "relative flaws" of this album for me are 3: the premature fadeout of At Wit's End (I know what I said above, still...), which is a crime, considering how it is sooo amazing that final solo, remiding me a lot of Neal Schon at his best; there isn't a truly epic on the album. I think it would really fit this album to have a 15-20 minute epic, more in a energetic style all the way through, like in ACoS original arrangement. In agreement with a review published somewhere here, it could actually have been Pale Blue Dot, with further development. Very good song, great instrumental and somewhat innovative for DT, but apparently with a greater potential; Also I think, although UA and Paralyzed are very good songs, they are a bit more on DT' predicable/safe side.
And finally, Mike Mangini destroys the entire album! But I highlight S2N (also the song itself is a monster!). It is interesting to note that there was a little change on song's arrangement - the hi-hat part - between the final version and that one released as song 10 on Youtube. Anyway, if Mike Mangini's drums did not convince anyone on this album... give it up, his style isn't your thing and that's it (and that's OK, of course).
It's truly a great album!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2019, 04:27:15 AM »
The part with:6
"Deafening, deafening
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

Brace yourselves
Bow down to Nafaryus

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:56 AM »
I got to listen to the first 8 tracks on my way to work. New Dream Theater! For me, it's practically a holiday.

What kills me is that I have to wait ten hours to listen to the last two tracks. Anticipation city! But then, the same thing happened to me when BCASL came out and I had to wait through work to hear TCOT.

The final 12 minutes of D/T await my long journey home.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:42:38 AM by EPIC Outro »

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2019, 04:45:54 AM »
i haven't read any of this thread but has anyone else commented on how barstool warrior sounds like a mike portnoy diss track

Interesting take. I did not get that vibe at all. And based on recent events it seems like there has been a thaw between the DT guys and MP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2019, 04:49:24 AM »
I can't really remember the exact description, and I haven't heard the album yet, but I remember an interview when JP discussed the song, it's about people's fear to actually strive for happiness.

Do you know that Iron Maiden has a song called "Weekend Warrior", about hooligans? because they're only "warriors" when they're at the stadium... in the same way, the "barstool warrior" is someone who's sitting in a bar and talks "oh if only I could do this and if only could happen that, I would show the world how I am good bla bla bla", rather than actually go outside in the real world and take active steps to achieve his / her dreams.

This is what I can remember - don't quote me on this and it's not the way Petrucci explained, but this is what I got being the general theme of the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2019, 04:50:15 AM »
Who is shouting in the beginning of Viper?  :lol

Glad they did that btw, they really have had fun with this track.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2019, 04:51:12 AM »
First listens in and a couple of words come to mind: 

1. Fun. They sound like they're having it again (or perhaps they never stopped having it?)
2. Hope. It sounds like the album I've been waiting for since.... TOT?
3. Thanks. DT for never giving up and striving to make ever better music.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2019, 04:54:48 AM »
This album GROOVES. Full of groove and melody. Probably my favorite since Six Degrees (1st disc).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2019, 04:59:12 AM »
At Wit's End is the clear highlight for me, and one that stands up against some of the other great DT songs from the first 8 albums. Everything else I could take or leave, to be honest.

Though, I also like the direction of a few of the other songs (Barstool, Out of Reach). Even though I wouldn't consider them "great songs" by any stretch, it's nice to see them departing from the "tough metal guy" thing for a few songs.

It's certainly there most interesting album for me in a long time, though! I can't help but wonder if I'd like it more had they spent another few weeks on it. 1 Days is not very long to write an entire album. 

Offline genome

« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2019, 05:00:04 AM »
Who is shouting in the beginning of Viper?  :lol

Glad they did that btw, they really have had fun with this track.

Mangini, I think. Really fun track. Prog Metal Shuffle

Offline Art

« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:23 AM »
First listen done on my way to work (spotify).

I really like the album. Besides the singles, my early favorites are Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End. BW has that totally prog rock feel, it could be on WDADU or IW. At Wit's end is just amazing, that solo in the end could go on forever.

Talking about solos, i LOVE JP's guitar work and tone on this album. The best he has sounded in a long time. And he's bringing his A-game,what a player. I love the lead tones...so beautiful.

Love JM and MM in the album as well. JM is such a badass.  :metal

I really liked Out of Reach, not a throw away ballad by any means.

Paralyzed is great, i loved it when they released as a single, and it works even better with the rest of the album.

I don't know about the record being better than 6DOIT as some people were saying, but i think it's:

- Easily their best work in the MM era. I mean, BY FAR.
- Probably their best work SINCE TOT. Kind of too early to tell for me.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2019, 05:06:07 AM »
I haven't really been keeping up with news on the album; is the digipak version with the bonus track being sold in stores, or is that a website only thing?

I’d like to know as well.

and by stores I mean actual stores not online stores.

Offline Segue Myles

« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »
Ok, thanks. So, I am clear to discuss it then.

I'll stay vague and just personally reflect on my feelings after listening to it a few times, more because I still want folks to enjoy it themselves the first time and not rely on other peoples' descriptions of each individual songs. Hopefully my comments help pump up the excitement and anticipation for DoT a little more.

I really, really like this album, and its the first one, for me personally, in FOREVER that continues to grow on me the more I listen. The record, for me, clearly has this combination of Images & Words, Awake, SFAM, and Train of Thought going on that hits a sweet spot for me. The songs are shorter, but aren't any less technical. There's a warmth to the recording that really makes it come alive.

A few individual song comments that I'll keep brief: At Wit's End is every bit as good as the hype. The outro solo on it is not overly technical, and repeats the same riff motif, but its SO emotional. It just pegs something musically to match the topic, and I love it. I really enjoyed Barstool Warrior as well. Viper King doesn't really fit stylistically, but it was fun to listen to. It could have fit really well onto FII with the Jon Lord-inspired keyboards.

If you've followed my posts over the years, you know I haven't been a big fan of what Dream Theater has done post-Train of Thought. And that wasn't the heaviness. I am not sure how to describe it, but I felt like the influences of the band came to the surface too much, the songs were more focused on technicality and lost some mood and feeling, etc. I know all of that is really personal to each person, and that's how I thought. Even with the switch to Mangini, I wasn't blown away, and I drifted a bit further from DT.

I'm from Long Island. Lived there the first 25 years of my life, and I still consider myself a Long Islander, and I'm proud of the musicians from my home. I became a Dream Theater fan with ACOS and then FII, going backwards to get Awake and Images. I saw them live for the first time (twice) in 1998 (opening for Deep Purple and ELP, and then the 12/29/98 holiday show in NYC). I've seen them 13 or 14 times total, all across the United States. So, what I'm trying to say is, I beat the drum as a fan of theirs through Train of Thought. And even after that, when I really wasn't a fan of what they were doing, I still was a Dream Theater supporter. But I haven't been a FAN in quite some time.

Thankfully, thanks to DoT, I am again a FAN of what the band is doing. It brilliantly captures Dream Theater's past in a way that makes it completely modern, without sacrificing both technicality and melody. I liken it to the same feeling I got with Fates Warning's Theories of Flight a couple years back. It expertly weaves all eras of the band's sound and presents it in a way that sounds fresh, exciting and inspiring.

My personal favorites (so far):

At Wit's End
Paralyzed
Pale Blue Dot

Thanks Dream Theater. I needed this one. If you're an old school fan that really separated from DT over the last decade or so, give this one a spin. You won't regret it.

Hello! I think this is my first post here, or at least the first in a few years. I have been aware of DT for years, bought 11 of their albums (10 in a box set) around 2015 and have been torn on them ever since. Some stuff amazes me, but for a while the more recent music really came across as you have written.

I am a huge Rush fan and post a lot on a Rush forum. On that forum are many big DT fans, and all of us felt really underwhelmed for this album. The singles too. But we have all been listening too it and I am one of the many that are blown away! This for me is their best album in MANY years, and I liked Black Clouds, ADTOE and the self titled (the less said of The Astonishing the better).
What you have written is exactly how I feel! It has also brought me straight back into the fold. It feels amazing to love and embrace a new DT release! Its the first time since I began to heavily follow the band that a new album has blown me away.

At Wits End, Room 137 and Fall Into The Light are my absolute favourite songs.

I am now revisiting their entire catalogue, and am ecstatic to note I only really dislike three albums. I am close to being a massive fan now! They are growing on me more and more every single time I come back to their music, and Distance Over Time is truly making it easier!