Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189479 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #2275 on: October 06, 2021, 07:47:57 PM »
The difference with Octavarium is they still hadn't entered the current phase they're in, of "guys, we have to keep reminding everyone we're a metal band" on nearly every song, which began on Systematic Chaos. 8vm's greatness is also attributed to the meta-album concept, the 5/8 concept, and the title track is the band's greatest musical achievement.

I don't know if I totally agree. Sure TDEN and CM are heavy, but I feel like SC is way underrated in terms of its variety.

After the peak of Score, I feel like DT went into the studio for SC and just winged it. It's a fun album, and they clearly had no blueprint for it.

SC isn't any more metal than SFAM or Awake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2276 on: October 06, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »
The difference with Octavarium is they still hadn't entered the current phase they're in, of "guys, we have to keep reminding everyone we're a metal band" on nearly every song, which began on Systematic Chaos. 8vm's greatness is also attributed to the meta-album concept, the 5/8 concept, and the title track is the band's greatest musical achievement.

I don't know if I totally agree. Sure TDEN and CM are heavy, but I feel like SC is way underrated in terms of its variety.

After the peak of Score, I feel like DT went into the studio for SC and just winged it. It's a fun album, and they clearly had no blueprint for it.

SC isn't any more metal than SFAM or Awake.

SC is way more metal than SFAM and Awake. MP was literally calling for balls and chunk for the entire thing.
I wouldn't even call almost half of Awake metal, is 6:00 metal? Most of Innocence Faded? and much of Scenes isn't metal either (proggy? Yes. heavy? yes)
SC doesn't have songs like The Silent Man, LSOAD, Through Her Eyes, TSCO, etc...

I don't dislike SC, but to me, the flow of the album drops off significantly after TDEN and the album never recovers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2277 on: October 06, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »
The Mirror and Lie are pretty damn heavy. As is 6:00 and Voices. Heck, even Scarred is quite heavy.

Other than TDEN and CM, what is so heavy about SC?

I'd actually call Awake heavier than SC.

And as far as Scenes, Fatal Tragedy is very heavy. Strange Deja Vu and Beyond This Life are also quite heavy.

If you want to talk about song quality, and rag on SC, that's fair, but classifying it as DT going heavy is really a misclassification.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2278 on: October 06, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Wait, Octavarium, which is filled with songs that are derivative of songs by other bands, is greatness, but DT having songs that are derivative of their own is a problem?  That is quite a take.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2279 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:25 PM »
The Mirror and Lie are pretty damn heavy. As is 6:00 and Voices. Heck, even Scarred is quite heavy.

Other than TDEN and CM, what is so heavy about SC?

I'd actually call Awake heavier than SC.

And as far as Scenes, Fatal Tragedy is very heavy. Strange Deja Vu and Beyond This Life are also quite heavy.

If you want to talk about song quality, and rag on SC, that's fair, but classifying it as DT going heavy is really a misclassification.

I never claimed there were not heavy songs on any DT albums. DoT to me doesn't have any of the softer songs or moments that Awake and Scenes have. All DT albums have their heavy moments.

Ranking DT albums for their overall heaviness or how metal the overall album is, would be a different ranking for me to what my general DT top14-15 albums would be. IMO the best DT is when they fuse metal equally with other styles or vastly different moods throughout the album. The exception for me is Train of Thought.

Train of Thought is just DT kicking everyone's ass non stop for well over an hour, with a 2 minute break in the middle for those who haven't perished yet. It comes off as the most genuine of their heaviest albums.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2280 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:31 AM »
Wait, Octavarium, which is filled with songs that are derivative of songs by other bands, is greatness, but DT having songs that are derivative of their own is a problem?  That is quite a take.

I have thought this time and time again after reading Darkshade's posts  :lol The guy has some of the most perplexing opinions and assumptions about DT on this forum.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2281 on: October 07, 2021, 01:58:01 AM »
Honestly, I can remember the simulisten of ToT on MIRC with mike portnoy and loads of comments were like "oh the metallica section" "oh the megadeth section" "DT abused its inspiration corner" and MP went a little crazy about it :D

BTW I was the first one disappointed how heavy it was sounding, rather than proggy like SDOIT and before...But you can't write the same thing over and over I guess !
Or you do ADTOE and people say it's I&W remaster with no inspiration...
It's pretty intense in the community haha.

Honestly, DOT was a grower for me, but as I wrote, barstool and AWE are wonderful, from composition to writing and voice melodies, plus emotion. Pure prog.

Songs like paralysed or invisible monster, even with great guitar solos, feel like a filler song I will not listen again.

My only regrets about DOT are 1) song order, I would have made it totally differently 2) Where the fock is the other half of pale blue dot ? it was nearly dance of eternity level :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline TM172003

« Reply #2282 on: October 07, 2021, 03:48:27 AM »
(someone can correct me if I am wrong here about the time sig being new for the band).

There’s a part of Home in 19/16 I think.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2283 on: October 07, 2021, 04:15:22 AM »
(someone can correct me if I am wrong here about the time sig being new for the band).

There’s a part of Home in 19/16 I think.
That's true.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2284 on: October 07, 2021, 06:05:51 AM »

I have thought this time and time again after reading Darkshade's posts  :lol The guy has some of the most perplexing opinions and assumptions about DT on this forum.

Well, most of his DT posts seem like he adopted the "old DT great, new DT not-so-great" stance, and then it is forming his opinions to reinforce that belief.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but his are often just bizarre.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2285 on: October 07, 2021, 07:46:51 AM »
BSW and AWE are the only two classic DT songs on DoT.
The rest are pretty stock DT tunes.

While those two are indeed phenomenal tracks, sone others are also excellent and far better than “stock DT tunes”. S2N is a ripping song - I love the drum work, the experimentation and sense of fun in that tune. I think Out of Reach is one of the best ballads they have ever done, Pale Blue Dot rocks and Fall into the Light is a terrific track with heaviness, melody and emotion. I actually really enjoy Paralyzed too. It’s a simple metal song executed well. Really solid album and still gets regular play from me…

S2N is a promising track, but I find the chorus is really stock, typical-sounding Mangini-era chorus, and imo doesn't fit the feel of the rest of the song (and the song has a completely unnecessary outro that is all too similar to The Dark Eternal Night's outro (which DID fit the song)

I feel almost the polar opposite. I love the chorus, it’s concise, fits everything well, love the drum work and think it’s a super outro which ends in a great crescendo which works way better the The Dark Eternal Night, because it doesn’t carry on for an eon…

As for the DoT songs sounding derivative, I can’t think of any other songs S2N sounds like. Sure if you wanna look for it you could mention the outro here or a riff there, but to me, it sounds fresh, fun and I love it, so fortunately for me, I’ll just carry on and keep listening to it…

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2286 on: October 07, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »

Well, most of his DT posts seem like he adopted the "old DT great, new DT not-so-great" stance, and then it is forming his opinions to reinforce that belief.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but his are often just bizarre.

It's not "old DT great, new DT not so great" it's that I find the recent output to be repetitive and derivative of itself. The Mangini albums all have a similar thread throughout them. I can barely tell one album apart from another. Despite that, I still find diamonds in the rough throughout the last 4 albums. Octavarium may have had its influences on its sleeves for a few songs, but it was still something different for the band overall, and it wasn't THAT derivative of other bands, outside of 3 songs (TW, IWBY, and NE) and those are probably the least best songs on the album, too.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2287 on: October 07, 2021, 08:01:26 AM »
What can I say? It doesn't sound derivative on AWE. MAYBE a tiny bit of ITPOE in the beginning.. but I find it all works.

Not sure how Octavarium's songs are role players, other than the title track at the end. TROAE works well as an opener, with its build-up intro and all. The other songs follow the concept of changing keys each song.

Meh. Meta album, key changes etc, etc. At the end of the day, all of that leaves us with the very pedestrian Root of all evil, the Answer lies within, These Walls, I Walk beside you and a couple of very Muse sounding tracks, with the lyrics to Never Enough wanting to make me uppercut myself. Hard.

Sure, there’s a couple of nice sounds amongst them, but they are absolutely role players. Regardless of the key they are played in, to me, they just have far better sounding songs from the MM era than any of these. For all the stick The Astonishing cops, I could pick 6 tracks from that album that I would take any day over the first 6 tracks from 8V. The title track is nice, I genuinely like it, but a bit overrated in my book. I would go nowhere near calling it the bands greatest musical achievement. Ah well, it is what it is…
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:07:26 AM by jayvee3 »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2288 on: October 07, 2021, 08:19:25 AM »
Well, I don't think Octavarium is their best album or anything, the point was back then the band were willing to try new things, and didn't always feel the need to play everything as complex as possible. If we're using the word "pedestrian" to describe DT's music, then I would label most post-MP output as such. "Safe" is another word I would use as well, and perhaps more accurate. You can make a song in 51/36 with 1000 key changes and a million notes a second, and it will sound safe coming from DT if they don't do something more original with it, being they have an entire catalog of songs with complex stuff going on, and considering they seem to fall back on a pop structure of ABABCAB in most of their 2010s output.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2289 on: October 07, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »
Well, I don't think Octavarium is their best album or anything, the point was back then the band were willing to try new things, and didn't always feel the need to play everything as complex as possible. If we're using the word "pedestrian" to describe DT's music, then I would label most post-MP output as such. "Safe" is another word I would use as well, and perhaps more accurate. You can make a song in 51/36 with 1000 key changes and a million notes a second, and it will sound safe coming from DT if they don't do something more original with it, being they have an entire catalog of songs with complex stuff going on, and considering they seem to fall back on a pop structure of ABABCAB in most of their 2010s output.

The Astonishing would like a word with you…

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2290 on: October 07, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »

what do you mean by 'stock' exactly?

Sounds derivative of other things DT has recorded in the past.

As Mike Portnoy said in a recent interview, "It's called having a signature style.  Get over it."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2291 on: October 07, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »

The Astonishing would like a word with you…

Touche!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2292 on: October 07, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »

As Mike Portnoy said in a recent interview, "It's called having a signature style.  Get over it."

Not when they're repeating themselves album to album since 2011. Their signature style left when MP left, as his drumming was half their sound.
Now they're just recreating IaW's melodicism with SC's balls and chunk with varying results, with a yes-man drummer who's more concerned with technique over substance. I find Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End to be superior pieces of music in the modern era, precisely because it's the band doing what it does best, crafting the best song they can with the musical knowledge they have, with little regard for what genre they're playing in, or what previous DT album they're trying to emulate or romanticize.

and The Astonishing might be something different for the band conceptually, but the execution was not successful to me, it was far too bloated, and musically isn't far off from the albums surrounding it. TA is incredibly safe musically. If they wanted to do something outside the box, they could have written a song within the NOMACs atmosphere, for example, maybe added some electronic type sounds like they teased on ADTOE.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2293 on: October 07, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »

Not when they're repeating themselves album to album since 2011. Their signature style left when MP left, as his drumming was half their sound.
Now they're just recreating IaW's melodicism with SC's balls and chunk with varying results, with a yes-man drummer who's more concerned with technique over substance. I find Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End to be superior pieces of music in the modern era, precisely because it's the band doing what it does best, crafting the best song they can with the musical knowledge they have, with little regard for what genre they're playing in, or what previous DT album they're trying to emulate or romanticize.

and The Astonishing might be something different for the band conceptually, but the execution was not successful to me, it was far too bloated, and musically isn't far off from the albums surrounding it. TA is incredibly safe musically. If they wanted to do something outside the box, they could have written a song within the NOMACs atmosphere, for example, maybe added some electronic type sounds like they teased on ADTOE.

I'll tell you what, you go write a 90 second sound clip of what you would consider "outside the box", post it to YouTube and I will give it a listen and get back to you on whether you hit the mark or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2294 on: October 07, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
...with a yes-man drummer who's more concerned with technique over substance.

Aside from being factually incorrect, that is incredibly insulting.  Given your repeat warnings for bashing band members, consider this your final.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kram

« Reply #2295 on: October 07, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
I'm going to agree with darkshade that up until Octavarium, you never knew what kind of DT album you would get next - they were all substantially different from one another.  For me, it kept the excitement up for the new release.  Since then, with the exception of The Astonishing (I'm disagreeing with darkshade on TA), nothing has really surprised me at all.  I like all of their releases, and think DOT was the best of the "Mangini era" - but nothing has really "surprised" me (except the Astonishing) at all.  I distinctly remember being surprised by the direction of 6DOIT, TOT, 8VM etc.. Hoping this new album can somehow recapture that "magic".

Offline Kram

« Reply #2296 on: October 07, 2021, 12:50:35 PM »
Songs like paralysed or invisible monster, even with great guitar solos, feel like a filler song I will not listen again.
I agree with your take that songs like Paralyzed and IM are forgettable.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2297 on: October 07, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
I'm going to agree with darkshade that up until Octavarium, you never knew what kind of DT album you would get next - they were all substantially different from one another.  For me, it kept the excitement up for the new release.  Since then, with the exception of The Astonishing (I'm disagreeing with darkshade on TA), nothing has really surprised me at all.  I like all of their releases, and think DOT was the best of the "Mangini era" - but nothing has really "surprised" me (except the Astonishing) at all.  I distinctly remember being surprised by the direction of 6DOIT, TOT, 8VM etc.. Hoping this new album can somehow recapture that "magic".

Something tells me that it really will - based on the snippets
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 12:56:00 PM by LKap13 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2298 on: October 07, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »

Name a band 30 plus years into their career where there music was different every album they made.  Just a few really.  Most bands 30 years in don't make albums these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2299 on: October 07, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »
Can you think of any bands that were able to maintain a high level 30 years in? I can only think of classical composers, many of whom produced their greatest works at the end of their careers. In pop/rock it almost NEVER happens... For whatever reason (likely something to do with the commercial aspect of the music industry)

Offline Kram

« Reply #2300 on: October 07, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »

Name a band 30 plus years into their career where there music was different every album they made.  Just a few really.  Most bands 30 years in don't make albums these days.
Oh, I totally agree.  I was just saying I know where darkshade is coming from and I agree with him.  Some of us are just longing for the "glory years" again (as unrealistic as that is)...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: October 07, 2021, 01:18:37 PM »
Totally get that. hat's what happens when you get old.  Right?! :lol  I'm 53.  Always reminiscing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2302 on: October 07, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »
Always reminiscing.

Is this the Little River Band Form?
LRBF?

Offline Kram

« Reply #2303 on: October 07, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »
Totally get that. hat's what happens when you get old.  Right?! :lol  I'm 53.  Always reminiscing.
Yep, same here - 52 in November lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: October 07, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »
Always reminiscing.

Is this the Little River Band Form?
LRBF?

Ear worm.  LOL

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2305 on: October 07, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »

Oh, I totally agree.  I was just saying I know where darkshade is coming from and I agree with him.  Some of us are just longing for the "glory years" again (as unrealistic as that is)...

This board reminds me of the Rush message board. For years fans yearned for the years of 2112 perpetually waiting for the release of 3113 which came in the form of Clockwork Angels. Personally, I just want enjoy the music and the band and DT does that for me more than most bands. I would never want to judge a a piece of any music based on what I WISH it could be - what a waste.

So give up the romance of "the glory years" as there is never such a thing because my glory years are with each album they make because they ain't going to be around forever - like I thought Rush would be....  :(

• PR permission
« Reply #2306 on: October 07, 2021, 06:37:43 PM »
I don't understand the notion that all the MM-era albums are allegedly similar. DT12 was not like ADTOE at all. Do I even need to talk about the Astonishing? I don't like that album at all--to put it lightly-- but the last thing I'd say is that it's derivative of prior DT material or uninspired. DoT was completely different from the Astonishing and ADTOE. Even if you compare DoT to DT12, there are differences in addition to the similarities. DT12 has more of the variety between songs relatively speaking. The way the band described it was 'cinematic' and I agree with that when I listen to the Bigger Picture, False Awakening, IT. The orchestra section in IT literally sounds like it could be part of a movie score. DoT is NOT cinematic, maybe with the exception of PBD. It sounds like that at the end of the day, on Oct 22, we may be saying that DT15 and DoT are the two most similar albums of the MM-era. But to say that the last 4 DT albums are all the same? That sounds totally wild to me. The main difference in my opinion between these albums and the last 3 of the MP era, is that the latter had very obvious attempts to borrow sounds from other bands (Muse comes to mind right away).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2307 on: October 07, 2021, 06:50:31 PM »

This board reminds me of the Rush message board. For years fans yearned for the years of 2112 perpetually waiting for the release of 3113 which came in the form of Clockwork Angels. Personally, I just want enjoy the music and the band and DT does that for me more than most bands. I would never want to judge a a piece of any music based on what I WISH it could be - what a waste.

So give up the romance of "the glory years" as there is never such a thing because my glory years are with each album they make because they ain't going to be around forever - like I thought Rush would be....  :(

Great post.  :tup

• PR permission
« Reply #2308 on: October 07, 2021, 06:59:30 PM »
Is there even any generally agreed upon glory years for DT?

It's not like Metallica, whose most tenured fans tend to think the glory years were everything until (and including) Justice. DT albums have been pretty varied over the years both stylistically and in terms of reception.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2309 on: October 07, 2021, 07:02:53 PM »
Is there even any generally agreed upon glory years for DT?

It's not like Metallica, whose most tenured fans tend to think the glory years were everything until (and including) Justice. DT albums have been pretty varied over the years both stylistically and in terms of reception.

1992-2002

Go to just about any site with rankings and their top four most popular albums will be from that era (I&W, Awake, Scenes, 6DOIT).  That is the consensus.  :)