Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189300 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
Strange how no one is really fussed on the ballad.. I think it’s beautiful, in sections James sounds almost IAW on that track

I liked it.

I really like DT ballads. Love BTS, FFH, AFTR, many on TA, etc.

I like it, too. In fact, I like it more than most of their ballads primarily due to it not feeling quite so saccharine.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »
Finally off of work, at home, and comfortable. Time to dig in  :hat :corn. Reading all of these reactions has me especially excited.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »
Which lyrics is Mangini's?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Is that Owen Wilson saying “Wow” after the instrumental in S2N?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2019, 10:41:43 PM »
James voice sounds so echo'y on this.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
Overall, my thoughts from the other thread are still mostly the same. Barstool Warrior is my favorite track, followed by S2N and then probably AWE. It's a very consistent album overall. And the instrumental section in PBD is still insane!
The bonus track has some killer organ playing from JR, as well. Definitely should piss off SoA :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:25 PM »
James voice sounds so echo'y on this.

That was probably my biggest dig on the album, that and JR sounds just like he has for 6 or 7 albums. Otherwise I was very pleased with the output. At Wit's End, Pale Blue Dot, Fall into the Light, S2N and Barstool are my favorites with At Wit's End taking the best track title. UA, Paralyzed and Out of Reach are meh, and 137 is quite forgettable.

ODTOA is still my fav of the MM era albums, and I'd love to see them shake that chunky sound in favor of something smoother, I think I've had my share of chocolate cake for a while.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »
i haven't read any of this thread but has anyone else commented on how barstool warrior sounds like a mike portnoy diss track
like, the guitar lead in the middle feels like a pretty direct reprise of the best of times and the lyrics seem to reference the 12-step track songs (especially the glass prison) but are also like, super pissed

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:04 PM »
i haven't read any of this thread but has anyone else commented on how barstool warrior sounds like a mike portnoy diss track
like, the guitar lead in the middle feels like a pretty direct reprise of the best of times and the lyrics seem to reference the 12-step track songs (especially the glass prison) but are also like, super pissed

I take the song as more a view of alcoholism from the perspective of the family around them. There's a definite tone of the disease without any of the recovery.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »
Never got that impression once while listening to it.

Plus, JP and MP are still good friends, so I can’t see JP writing an MP diss track. Especially something so personal.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Benedettosoxfan

« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:08 PM »
New DT! Never been a better time to emerge from the shadows and offer some takes immediately after the first listen.
Barstool Warrior is some quality stuff. While I always make it a point to listen to the full album for the first time (no singles) it was hard to not listen to this one a second time immediately after hearing it. In fact, it's playing right now as I type this. The second Viper King ended I couldn't click back to this one fast enough. As the band was kicking it into gear during the intro I found myself unconsciously mouthing "She can't stop paciiiiing!"

Room 137- Mixed feeling here. The Manson riff is fun and heavy and all, and it's a solid track overall, but something about it just comes across as unnatural in a not so great way. I can't quite describe it. Maybe it's the use of the words "nevermore" and "forevermore" which are kind of a pet peeve of mine. When's the last time you heard someone just whip out the word "forevermore" in casual conversation? I feel like it was just invented as a way to fill song lyrics when you don't know what else to say.

At Wit's End- Here's Dream Theater turning back the clock. I can't wrap my head around how good some people are at playing guitar. It's an honor and a privilege to have Mr. Petrucci share his craft with us.

Pale Blue Dot- YAAAAAAS. Possibly my favorite on the album but it's way too early to tell. This is a winner all around. It feels like an epic. But it's not an epic. It reminds me of Puzzle Box from Haken's latest album. Here we have everything you could want in a song. Could they have made this song 14 minutes if they really wanted to? Probably. But that would entail throwing in unnecessary things that wouldn't make the song any better. I get the same feeling that I get when listening to Illumination Theory or Octavarium as if I just went on a huge journey through twists and turns. And all in 8 minutes. Bravo.

Viper King- This is awesome. Plain and simple. I laughed out loud and had a wonderful time just jamming by my lonesome trying not to wake the neighbors. I would LOVE to have been in the room with the guys as they were crafting this song. I'm sure it was an ongoing cycle of someone saying "are we REALLY doing this?" followed by 100 reasons as to why they are, in fact, doing it. Totally sounds like a cover or interpretation of something non-DT but who cares. Good music is good music.

I don't remember too much of the singles other than UA was great classic DT by the numbers, which I think is a good thing. Paralyzed... Yeah I had minimal expectations for this song and it's exactly what I thought it would be. As soon as I saw the generic metal song title slotted in the number 2 spot on the tracklist I said "yup, the tradition continues." Fall Into the Light, I honestly don't remember much about it but I remember thinking it was groovy. Middle of the pack as far as the album was concerned.

All in all, I am very happy with Distance Over Time. I can't wait to dig into it more. To have music of this quality this deep in a band's catalog is excellent. We're so spoiled and I hope the kings of prog metal will continue to inspire more bands in the same vein to make music and stretch the boundaries. Until next time!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2019, 11:08:00 PM »
Initial reactions:

Untethered Angel: Honestly this one hasn't been aging well for me. It feels like there's way too much going on structurally. Too many ideas and not enough development of existing ideas imo, even if those ideas are good. Seems like it would fit well on DT12 in that regard.
Paralyzed: Has aged really well so far. Really simple, but effective.
Fall Into the Light: Amazing from start to finish. Probably gonna take a break from this one for a bit tho because it's starting to border on overplayed at this point.
Barstool Warrior: I love the lyrics, but my first impression was that it was a bit inconsistent in musical tone. The first third doesn't really match up with the main body of the song and it didn't really grip me because of that. Could grow on me, but so far it's probably my least favorite.
Room 137: I LOVED this one. The lyrics are a bit goofy in a Systematic Chaos way, but it's a great song. The gigantic chorus swell transitioning into the main riff right at the end gave me jazz stank face. Gave me some Neal Morse and Ayreon vibes in parts. A fave for sure.
S2N: This was like everything I liked about Rush without Geddy Lee's vocals. Nothing could've prepared me for that freaking Owen Wilson "wow" sample in the middle. Like...what was that. It cracked me up. The outro riff and keyboard solo is fantastic. The guitar solo in the middle was very LTE. One of my favorites for sure, if not my favorite.
At Wit's End: That "DEAFENING DEAFENING SHUT IT OUT" part is gonna be stuck in my head for a while, pity it's only used once. Panning effects on keyboard solo were really cool. The solo piano section up to the 2nd guitar solo (minus that one random chunky riff in the middle) is one of the best moments on the album, but imo it comes way too soon in the song and doesn't really flow well from the previous section imo. Didn't care for the "post-credits scene", just felt kinda tacked on. Overall kind of inconsistent and not a fave.
Out of Reach: Intro kind of needs a pickup bar, because that start is really sudden and hard to jive with lol. When the chorus finally hits is a magical moment. Love all of it except for the sudden start. Another fave.
Pale Blue Dot: Digging the Symphony X/djent vibes throughout. Middle section got a little bit excessive towards the end imo. Kinda middle of the road for me. Has a lot of great bits, but it has DT12 syndrome a bit.
Viper King: YEAH. I unironically love this. This is funtastic.

Overall: Really solid, but not top tier. It ranks somewhere around Train of Thought (#6) and Images and Words (#7) for me. Has some fantastic strong moments, but the structural problems that plagued DT12 and Awake kinda pop-up here and there. JLB kills it and is consistent overall. Mangini kills it. Petrucci and Myung kill it. Rudess kills it, but he gets buried sometimes ( :( ). Everyone has a lot of great parts. Overall around a 4.5/5.0.

Song by song ranking:

01. S2N
02. Room 137
03. Fall into the Light
04. Viper King
05. Out of Reach
06. Paralyzed
07. Pale Blue Dot
08. At Wit's End
09. Untethered Angel
10. Barstool Warrior

Kinda weird that the epics ended up being some of my least favorite songs on the album lol. I honestly think this album is at its best on the more concise songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »

I take the song as more a view of alcoholism from the perspective of the family around them. There's a definite tone of the disease without any of the recovery.
like what gets me is how blatant the best of times reprise is, i heard it almost instantly and had to double-check to make sure
why would you do that

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
Listened to the album twice. Had heard the singles many times before. I have been a fan since SC and no other band has me as excited for their music new or old. That said, I didn't really like the subsequent albums compared to their past stuff, until TA. TA was a fresh lease of life for my fanhood because the band was still ready to shake things up. Also MM was more visible to me in TA despite not writing the music so I thought he is finally easing in. So come this album I was very pumped with the promotion and videos but when I heard comments of people on DTF about the songs my expectations were lowered (it's fair I guess since people would want to be somewhat objective about the songs).

But my oh my I was laughing with tears in my eyes listening to the tracks! Where have you been DT all this time??? I was again that snobby immature fan who would compare JP to other guitarists and fiercely defend him.

Based on reviews I thought it's safe to say that AWE and PBD would be my favourites. But after listening, it's S2N and Viper King! Other songs are awesome as well but those two were a one two knockout punch to all my preconceived notions about the band! S2N is all of them unleashed at another level and Viper King.....dear oh dear sometimes I wonder how many bands they can put out of business just like that! (See, immature again!)

Great album could break top 5 for me, I ll be spinning it like 30 more times and have more thoughts! Sorry for the long post but I was too giddy to stop!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline TL

« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
I'll post more in depth thoughts after having a few more listens through and letting it sink in a bit, but here's a quick first impression;

Wow! I absolutely love this. The band just sounds focused, energetic, inspired. Also, listening to it and picking up this album's vibe, they sound like they really had fun with this one. It's such a great blend. *Chef's kiss*.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »
DREAM THEATER IS BACK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Finally breaking new ground! They actually show some restraint here, and there is a surprisingly low amount of excess or bloat on the album. Easily their best since ADToE, and quite possibly their most consistent album in a very very long time. This is everything DT12 should have been, the band reclaiming their crown as THE prog metal kings. It seems like they finally let Mangini out of his cage too. Well done DT!

Favorite songs: Barstool Warrior, At Wit’s End

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2019, 11:55:12 PM »
I have no idea where to even start, and I'm exhausted. But the riffing and groove on this album is exactly what I've wanted for such a long time. So far I think it's my favorite MM album and I think it'll stay that way. His playing is so tasteful but holy Christ it's just sick at the same time. I'm blow away by the improvement in drum sound. I hope they continue this process in the future because, good god, it's working. I'm about to go back to listen to a couple stand-out songs (which is basically all of them besides the singles because I've heard them) again before falling asleep, but I'm gonna have this on repeat tomorrow at work. Barstool Warrior especially impressed me, I was a little hesitant based on their tendency to overdo the cheese a little. But that was never present in this album IMO. The Math-iness in Room 137 is dope, and it just sounds fresh and inspired. Mangini really has some great input (some of those fills in PBD are :censored mind blowing). I think the main groove for S2N was what I was most excited to hear from the studio teasers that were released. I like the the singles better in the context of the album, especially because they were up front, plus some pretty damn solid and unique pieces of their catalog. And the pacing of the album is spot on - nice and concise but also unpredictable, so much shredding, but also tasteful and emotional moments. An actual progressive journey. It's just a masterpiece as far as I can tell right now. At Whit's End and probably some others are top songs in the catalog at the moment. I'm very content with this album. It'll be up very high in my rankings.

God Bless America, as well JM's bass tone (and riffage). Amen. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Addy

« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
Ok, I must say I was a bit worried about this one. I had no expectations, I was worried this one will suffer from the Self-Titled, SC, or BCSL syndrome of having one 10/10 song and a bunch of meh ones. I'm so glad that I can say I love it! Definitely, the best MM-era album, though I really liked ADToE. TO me D/T is better than anything they've done past ToT, to be honest.

First of all, I love the production! It's been a while since their release sounded great IMO. This time they nailed it! Sounds organic, powerful, each member has his place and is audible. The drums are freaking amazing (!!!) and the guitar sounds awesome again (was muddy to me on two previous releases). Great job!

I love the technical bits, but I think emotional melodies are the strongest parts of the record. My favorites - hard to tell really! Each song has this "something" that makes it so good. Even "simpler" songs like S2N or Room 137 (which I think doesn't sound like anything they've done before). I think I love Barstool Warrior, At Wit's End (I feel these could be put on 6DOIT) and Pale Blue Dot (so fresh!) the most. Out Of Reach is really beautiful and Viper King is fun! Nice to see them doing a song that doesn't try to be "epic" and is pure rock'n'roll.

Right now I'm kinda skipping first 3 tracks, but I raped the repeat button when they were released, so I'm sure I'll go back to them.

I'm sure it will age well!

You nailed it, guys! Brilliant job!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »
This is not only EASILY the best Mangini era album, it's also the best DT album in over decade!

There are some weak points to the album. Untethered Angel is a weak opener, and Pale Blue Dot is a disappointment. Pretty much everything in between is quality stuff, with some of the best post 8VM DT songs. Barstool, Room 137, S2N and AWE are brilliant. Out of Reach to me is far from being a throwaway ballad, and Viper King would have totally fit in on the proper album! The opening riff after the organ strongly reminds me of Toto's song "Gypsy Train" :lol

A lot has already been said, but this is a legit return to form for the band! :metal

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:51 AM »
God Bless America, as well JM's bass tone (and riffage). Amen. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Yeah, best JM tone on any album, IMO!! :tup Digging the whole thing as far as 3 listens can go.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2019, 12:06:41 AM »
Wow, just wow...Reviews can be too short or too long, but I read we all agree there is at least a song to love for every DT fan across the world, and when you have the most critic and splitted fans on earth, it's just a challenge completed :D

I'll try to be as concise as I can, but like everyone, I'm just nutting everywhere right now !

The album's mix is great, we are litterally smacked by hard hits, stereo imaging makes everyone well heard, myung is all over the place, drums too !
JLB did a fantastic job, even if it's sometimes a little heavy on the effects side afterwise.
It's my favorite album since octavarium (I'm originally a SFAM/SDOIT/LTE fan for most).

UAngel = I like this song a lot, because I can't stop singing the chorus since the single's release, it's an efficient modern DT opener/single. Solos are great.
Paralysed = Still haven't clicked to me, maybe on more listens
Fall into the light = Felt like a tribute to metallica's proggest, without stealing of course, and it felt good ! The midsection is impressive. The organ solo is wicked evil and I listened it on repeat !
Barstool warrior = Mixed feelings for now, because it's an awesome song, but maybe I wished the astonishing was more like this one, the narration is enjoyable. Let's say it's kind of a known territory to me. JP solos are just wow.
Room 137 = What a riff, people talk about marylin manson but this is too heavy for him to do haha :D I love the singing too, the vocal harmonies and the psychedelic !
S2N = This one got me by surprise, the groove is sick, I love the chorus etc...A total success to me !
At wit's end = Got me a pair of listenings to get it all, but I'm sure now, it's only goosebumps and tears, with a satisfactory grin at the same time, a masterpiece.
Out of reach = I liked how it kept it tight starting the second verse, instead of mellowing and dissolving.
Pale blue dot = The immersive side of the song is awesome, from intro to sci-fi themes (that nitro star wars style single note riff !!!). I love the main rythmic pattern, well in fact I love everything in the song :D Maybe I wished for it to long 5 minutes more, the trip is never long enough with DT :D
Viper king = One of my favorite songs of the album, it's like an old song that got gamma irradiated, I wanna jump on my motorcycle and listen to it on repeat.

I didn't mention every moments I enjoyed because it would have no end, from the false end+wow in S2N to the little end jam at the end of AWE, all solos are bliss (and I can't wait to get the tab book).
Btw, I feel like JP opened a lot his soloing to other styles, like a little satriani touch and sometimes very singing melodies like in barstool (which reminds of the astonishing as for the articulation).

In the end, I think there is no modern DT album that feels new and at the same time makes us remind older albums, like some songs have like some FII vibe on steroids or AWE's riff gave me a therootOAE feel. It means it is all I love in this band !

Favs = S2N, AWE, PBD & viper king
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2019, 12:09:12 AM »
I can’t wait to hear this. I’m on holiday in France this week. Wi-fi is practically non-existent and mobile data coverage is poor. It might be Saturday night when I get home that I’m able to listen to it fully, and it’s killing me!  ;D
We (the French fan club) are having a release party tomorrow in Paris, so if you're around, come and say hi! 7PM at Dr Feelgood les Halles (near the museum of modern art Pompidou). The entire album, good beer, good food and some great stuff to be won (the album, some fan club CDs and guitar picks)
Damn, too bad I live in the most remote corner of France  :-[ (I am not even any good with French). I would have loved a listening party!

Mate, thank you very much, but we’re skiing in the Alps, so we’re not close.

I would love to be better at French than I am, but I can order “un frîtes” and “un grand pression”, so that’s getting me through.  :D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2019, 12:15:51 AM »
I haven't really been keeping up with news on the album; is the digipak version with the bonus track being sold in stores, or is that a website only thing?

I haven't really enjoyed a DT album since ADToE, but the reactions I'm seeing here are encouraging.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JLa

« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
Viper King!  :lol instant favorite!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »

Yeah, best JM tone on any album, IMO!! :tup Digging the whole thing as far as 3 listens can go.

I don't think JP's ever sounded better either. The way the bass and guitar work together during the heavy riffing is next level.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:56 AM »

I don't think JP's ever sounded better either. The way the bass and guitar work together during the heavy riffing is next level.

Agreed on all accounts. Petrucci's tone is outstanding on this one and Myung is not only very audible but also has the coolest sound in ever.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:42 AM »
I was initially disappointed at the lack of 10+ minute songs.. but that was pre-release.. Pale Blue Dot is actually shorter than AROP but encompasses everything staple in a DT epic with their complex movements and riffs.. my initial concern was that the 8 minute songs would follow a similar format to previous 8 minute DT songs but I was wrong! I may actually prefer it this way.. the technicality of each member baffles me on this, to take it up a notch further especially at their age is unbelievable. I feel like this album is almost a rebirth for DT

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2019, 12:39:21 AM »
I was initially disappointed at the lack of 10+ minute songs.. but that was pre-release..

Yeah. With all the content packed into the songs nothing actually feels short.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2019, 12:45:28 AM »
I an on my nth listen and I have to say the best thing about this album is that it really sounds like it was a work of several creative minds. It's making me appreciate the Mangini-era albums in a different light, picturing a post-MP scenario where JP had to take the reins and put the burden of leading the band on his back. It's something they had to go through. But now, they are in a place where JP does not have to do as much of the carrying anymore, and everybody found their voice. As Mangini put it in his FB post:

"This is the only "everyone" band album I've ever been on since demos in 1987 with the Rick Berlin Band in Boston. I really think you can feel the ebb and flow with each member's personality, which makes this unmakeable unless all 5 have a voice. Kudos to Jimmy T. and Ben too. Petrucci made some legendary decisions and did more work than anyone can imagine. This decade has meant a lot of unplanned pressure on him and maybe a few other people too in different ways. And here we are; evolved; learned and happy. That's a win."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:03:38 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Pettor

« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »
Got up early in the morning to enjoy the album on my best headphones while I can't be disturbed. Really good first impression.

UA was never my cup of tea which was clear since the singles were released. Not sure why it doesn't stay with me since it doesn't do anything really wrong, just doesn't lift either.

Paralyzed is a very solid nice song. Like the verse and it has a perfect length really. Just when I had enough of all the good it can offer it's done. Perfect.

Fall Into The Light has been a favorite ever since it's release. Still love it. But today I just wanted it to end so I could hear all the new material.

Barstool Warrior was a immediate hit for me. Had to re-listen to it the first thing when the album was over to just hear it again. That piano break down and solo is amazing! James is doing really good on that one as well.

Room 137 is fun and strange. Will never be favorite of mine I think but it's a nice change and just quite fun listen.

S2R needs more listens. It's interesting but no immediate hook except the awesome ending riffing. Sounds a bit like something from a James solo album.

At Wit's End needs a lot of re-listens. Really like it so far. A journey with great touching subject.

Out of Reach is quite awesome to be honest. Perfectly placed in the album and love the cheesy heartful sound. James does amazing job at the vocals!

Pale Dot Blue. Haha shit. This one is crazy as hell. I LOVE the crazy intro. This is a track that I simply can't place my head around yet when it comes to the structure. Or is there even a structure? Haha I am laughing just by listening to it. LOVE IT!

Viper King is a bonus track. Or something haha. I quite like it but nothing that stands out too much either. The intro is pretty nice actually.

Love that DT went full fun and crazy on this one. So many insane riffs, sections, chaos, hooks etc. I have really fun time listening to it and think this one will stand the test of time well.

Edit: Forgot to say how good the album sounds! James sometimes is hard to hear but other than that it sounds awesome. Mangini has never sounded this good (mix and playing). All instruments come together really well and JP's guitar tone  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:09:39 AM by Pettor »

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2019, 01:07:48 AM »
I would say this is probably the best album of the Mangini era. Barstool Warrior is my current favorite.

One thing I don't think I'm overly fond of, is Mangini's constant following one the rhythm is guitar and/or keyboard. Something about it almost takes away from the songs at times. However, that's a small gripe.

Offline genome

« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:12 AM »
Wow, just wow...

Now I can't stop reading this in Owen Wilson's voice.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2019, 01:18:45 AM »
One thing I don't think I'm overly fond of, is Mangini's constant following one the rhythm is guitar and/or keyboard. Something about it almost takes away from the songs at times. However, that's a small gripe.

But what if they are the ones following Mangini? :p

I have a feeling that that's the case in the riffy section of PBD. And they almost confirmed that that's the case in Paralyzed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:41 AM »
So, it's just 9 in the morning on release day, and everyone has already heard the album but me?  :lol

I have lunch break at 13, then it's off to the store to buy it!  :metal of course I won't listen to it until this evening but still holding  this baby in my hands will feel good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!