Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188818 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1925 on: November 21, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
9 months after release, this album holds up well.  I was kind of feeling like I had overplayed it a bit early on, and that as much fun as the songs were to listen to, they might not have much staying power.  But my interest in the album is really getting a strong second wind after seeing the last tour, and I'm really enjoying the songs a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1926 on: November 21, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
9 months after release, this album holds up well.  I was kind of feeling like I had overplayed it a bit early on, and that as much fun as the songs were to listen to, they might not have much staying power.  But my interest in the album is really getting a strong second wind after seeing the last tour, and I'm really enjoying the songs a lot.

Amen. I really do think it will grow to become a classic for most people.  It seems it has everything people love about DT, and also a bit more mainstream appeal in a way. For me personally, it's up there:

1. Images and Words
2. Awake
3. SFAM
4. Distance Over Time
5. Falling Into Infinity
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Train of Thought
8. Self-Titled
9. ADTOE
10. WDADU

The rest...

>>>And bosk, you know how I feel about DT. For them to do a record that connects with me NOW, after so many years of just not feeling what they were doing, that means something.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1927 on: November 21, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
I lost my copy about four months ago as I left my CD in the case sitting on top of my car at night. It flew off onto the road somewhere and probably ended up in a ditch or ran over.  I haven't listened to it since.
 I guess I'll have to order the new version with the CD and the bluray with videos.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1928 on: November 21, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
My favorite song from the album is still Out of Reach.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1929 on: November 21, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
Just listen to it more, and I'm sure it won't feel as distant.  But which song is it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1930 on: November 21, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
My favorite song from the album is still Out of Reach.

Out of Reach really grew on me.  Which surprised me a bit.  It's not my favorite on the album, but I do really like it.

Currently my favorite is S2N.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1931 on: November 21, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
Just listen to it more, and I'm sure it won't feel as distant.  But which song is it?

:rollin

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1932 on: November 21, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »

:lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1933 on: November 21, 2019, 02:50:24 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1934 on: November 21, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »
That’s it, close the thread :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: November 22, 2019, 12:23:51 AM »
I agree, it still holds up well for me. My favourite track off it is Fall Into The Light.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1936 on: November 22, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »

Pale Blue Dot  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1937 on: November 22, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »

Pale Blue Dot  :rollin

Yep, that's about as distant as they come  :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1938 on: November 23, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »
In the midst of listening again. It has held up extremely well. The songs are so cohesive. Hands down best drumming on a DT album. Definitely in the top 3 with Awake and SFAM. A great mix of emotion, complex playing within the context of the song and amazing singing.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1939 on: November 23, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
The best since SFAM.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1940 on: November 24, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
The best since SFAM.

Wow!  That is quite the assessment.  I'm still working on ranking it (it's still a little too new for me to rank it properly).  But I really love the album and congrats to DT for producing something so masterful this late in their career.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1941 on: November 24, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
The best since SFAM.
here's a controversial opinion for you: D/T is my least favourite of the MM era (although I respect your opinion of course), I'm interested to hear what will happen in DT15.  And I agree: D/T being the best since Met2 is a bold statement. (as you'll see now)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

« Reply #1942 on: November 24, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »
Hi, I wanted to share my thoughts so far about this album.  I don't write a lot on this forum but I AM a huge Dream Theater fan since almost 20 years now!!!

I'll start off by saying that I don't have the physical CD as of yet.  I listened to the whole album on youtube (official DT channel) 2-3 times already and I'm just STARTING to like it very much!  Just in case somebody is asking how many DT CD's do I have, I think I must have 20 or more (albums, singles, fan club releases, live albums, DVD's, japanese versions of albums).

For some reasons I felt this album was good when I first listened to it, but not more than good.  I really liked The Astonishing because I thought it was a bold move from DT and a different experience.  I still listen to The Astonishing quite often.  I also liked the self titled one too.  But Distance Over Time left me kinda cold at first.  I thought the SOUND was awesome in my headphones but that was the only thing that grabbed me.

Now fast forward some months later, I started revisit this album and I really like some songs.  Untethered Angel, Room 137 & Viper King are REALLY great songs with a lot of groove and attitude :) 

Right now I'm looking for the version of the physical CD that I'd want the most : regular 9 tracks CD, limited edition digipak or even the book with the DVD's.............So that's where I am now!  This album have grown on me since it's release and almost 1 year will have passed before I have it in my hands.  Shame on me some would say, but I guess the good part of it is that it won't be that long of a wait for me between the day I'll have Distance Over Time in my hands and the day I'll have THE NEXT ALBUM in my hands (in 2022 if I'm counting it right :)).

That's it for today.

Thanks for reading :) 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: November 25, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
The best since SFAM.

I'm inclined to say it's their best since Six Degrees.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1944 on: November 25, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »
I rank it as the 3rd best DT album, but still only the best since BC&SL :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1945 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:54 AM »
As I said above, I lost my copy of d/t four months ago. I don't think I could listen to it right now anyway.
 When I first got the album, I would take my dog with me to the river in my old toyota Carolla through the woods on the property I live on. I would park near the shore and let her out to play at her favorite place. In the meantime, I would open all four doors and blast d/t through the car stereo and that's how I got to know the album really well.
 My dog suddenly passed away early September at a young age.  If I listened to the album right now, it would spark all those memories of those great moments with her at the river
and probably make me too emotional.  I love the album, but there's now some heavy stuff connected to it for me personally.  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1946 on: November 25, 2019, 09:25:49 AM »
I might say it is their best since The Astonishing. :P

This is one of those cases where in my head I think that Distance over Time is probably the better album, but it has never owned my CD player like TA did for much of 2016.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1947 on: November 25, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »
As I said above, I lost my copy of d/t four months ago. I don't think I could listen to it right now anyway.
 When I first got the album, I would take my dog with me to the river in my old toyota Carolla through the woods on the property I live on. I would park near the shore and let her out to play at her favorite place. In the meantime, I would open all four doors and blast d/t through the car stereo and that's how I got to know the album really well.
 My dog suddenly passed away early September at a young age.  If I listened to the album right now, it would spark all those memories of those great moments with her at the river
and probably make me too emotional.  I love the album, but there's now some heavy stuff connected to it for me personally.  :(

I don't even know what to say to that.  That's the saddest thing I've heard all year.  I'm really sorry.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1948 on: November 25, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
Now fast forward some months later, I started revisit this album and I really like some songs.  Untethered Angel, Room 137 & Viper King are REALLY great songs with a lot of groove and attitude :) 

Right now I'm looking for the version of the physical CD that I'd want the most : regular 9 tracks CD, limited edition digipak or even the book with the DVD's.............So that's where I am now!

Those two songs are not what I expected, and both were a nice surprises. Specially Viper King. Great jam!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1949 on: November 25, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
The best since SFAM.

I'm inclined to say it's their best since Six Degrees.

I agree with this statement regarding best since SDOIT

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1950 on: November 25, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »

I don't even know what to say to that.  That's the saddest thing I've heard all year.  I'm really sorry.
Thanks so much!   :heart

Online Mladen

« Reply #1951 on: November 25, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
So sad to hear all of that, Architeuthis. Stay strong.

Absolutely. As solid as Distance over time is, The Astonishing was on a completely different level.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1952 on: November 25, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
condolences

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1953 on: November 25, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »

Absolutely. As solid as Distance over time is, The Astonishing was on a completely different level.

Yep, The Astonishing is pretty great.  It currently sits in my top 3.  I understand the criticisms surrounding it, but dang it's amazing!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: November 25, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Sorry for your loss Arch, that's very upsetting and sucks even more that you'll now have this emotional attachment to the music, at the same time, it's pretty powerful how you can attach emotions in real life to music like that.  In some ways, that shows how good the music is.  Hopefully you can come around one day and enjoy it without feeling upset.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1955 on: November 25, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »
Sorry for your loss Arch, that's very upsetting and sucks even more that you'll now have this emotional attachment to the music, at the same time, it's pretty powerful how you can attach emotions in real life to music like that.  In some ways, that shows how good the music is.  Hopefully you can come around one day and enjoy it without feeling upset.
Thanks everyone! 
  Yeah I could probably listen to some of the heavier tracks and be ok. The middle section of Fall into the Light with the melodic keyboards and powerful guitar solo would make me tear up. I remember looking up at the trees and the evening sky during that section and all the scenery with my dog by the riverside saying to myself "life is good".  Barstool Warrior also has the same effect for some reason.
 I don't think I could handle At Wits End at this time,,  epecially the "don't leave me now" part..

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1956 on: November 25, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
Thanks everyone! 
  Yeah I could probably listen to some of the heavier tracks and be ok. The middle section of Fall into the Light with the melodic keyboards and powerful guitar solo would make me tear up. I remember looking up at the trees and the evening sky during that section and all the scenery with my dog by the riverside saying to myself "life is good".  Barstool Warrior also has the same effect for some reason.
 I don't think I could handle At Wits End at this time,,  epecially the "don't leave me now" part..
you will, over time (pun not intended), I'm sure.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1957 on: November 25, 2019, 03:40:20 PM »
The best since SFAM.

I agree which was the best since Awake. :)

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1958 on: November 25, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »

Yep, The Astonishing is pretty great.  It currently sits in my top 3.  I understand the criticisms surrounding it, but dang it's amazing!

Nice to hear some love for TA. Im still saddened by the fact there is so much negativity about it...DOT is little behind it for me so Im happy with the latest deliveries from the band! No pointless noodling, just concise, how nice!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: November 25, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
I actually enjoy TA slightly more than D/T as well.  It's close for sure though.