Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187310 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1890 on: October 24, 2019, 02:33:47 PM »
Also, with every shift in direction comes a new wave of fans.   Those fans that started off with TOT may not think of DT the same way I do.    The 90's music may seem too light and dated. 

I totally get that there is a humungous fanbase here and not everyone has the same opinion but as KevShmev said the band made their name from 1992-2002.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1891 on: October 24, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
Also, with every shift in direction comes a new wave of fans.   Those fans that started off with TOT may not think of DT the same way I do.    The 90's music may seem too light and dated. 

This is me.  I am only on board since early 2016.  I was looking for metal, fell in love with how they mix the prog with the metal, and would say that I listen to Images and Words the least..Although when I do listen, I enjoy it very much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1892 on: October 24, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »
I loved Images and Words back in the day.  I still do.  But I love it less than a lot of other stuff they have done.  It ranks right in the middle of their discography for me.  There is some stuff that is done really, really well.  But other songs that just don't make the cut.  I can't say that about 3 of the 4 Mangini-era albums.  As much as I like I&W, and as much as the highs on that album might be higher than the highs on anything in the 2010s, it just isn't as consistent.  Other than Scenes and Six Degrees, no album is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1893 on: October 24, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »
I think the problem DT has created for themselves is that fans are constantly expecting an OHMYGODTHISISSOGROUNDBREAKING EXPERIENCE, and I just think that's an impossible expectation to live up to.

Personally, I rate ADTOE as my Top 3 DT album, and The Astonishing really isn't that far behind.

I'd say the MM Era has represented.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1894 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »

This is me.  I am only on board since early 2016.  I was looking for metal, fell in love with how they mix the prog with the metal, and would say that I listen to Images and Words the least..Although when I do listen, I enjoy it very much.

I am in the same camp you are.  I became a fan right after ADToE and I am much more into their new stuff.

I loved Images and Words back in the day.  I still do.  But I love it less than a lot of other stuff they have done.  It ranks right in the middle of their discography for me.  There is some stuff that is done really, really well.  But other songs that just don't make the cut.  I can't say that about 3 of the 4 Mangini-era albums.  As much as I like I&W, and as much as the highs on that album might be higher than the highs on anything in the 2010s, it just isn't as consistent.  Other than Scenes and Six Degrees, no album is.

I agree.  I&W has some really good songs and I know it's a land mark album for the band and when I do listen I enjoy it.  However, it just sounds way too dated for me to listen to often.  The same goes for Awake.  I know many fans consider it really heavy and it is sort of in some parts, but when I think of heavy I usually think more along the lines of ToT, and DT12.

Just my pov though.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1895 on: October 24, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »
Personally, I rate ADTOE as my Top 3 DT album, and The Astonishing really isn't that far behind.

Yes and yes.  ADToE and the Astonishing are stellarly good. :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1896 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »
This may be controversial, but I think DOT might be my new second-favourite DT album, behind only Images & Words.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1897 on: October 24, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »
I think the problem DT has created for themselves is that fans are constantly expecting an OHMYGODTHISISSOGROUNDBREAKING EXPERIENCE, and I just think that's an impossible expectation to live up to.

Someone made a thread a while back asking the forum if ti was necessary for DT to still innovate, so I'll just repost what I said there:

I don't think "reinventing" or pushing the boundaries of the prog metal genre should fall on them anymore. They've been around long enough to be well respected and revered as pioneers, but I think the ones to take the genre to new places will be the younger, newer groups.

Offline Rallyfinnen

Re: Distance Over Time sound quality issue
« Reply #1898 on: October 24, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
Thank you for the replies! I asked for a refund from hdtracks too..
Now how can I get a hold of hi res files from the dvd..?

As a side note, one of my favorites when it comes to good music AND decent sound quality is Ark, Burn the sun

I listened to the blu-ray version yesterday, and the dynamics were as expected (nothing exceptional, but good enough), so now I will be able to enjoy the music!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: October 24, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
I am so glad my brain and/or ears are stupid enough that I can listen to pretty much anything and enjoy it if I like the music without letting things like dynamics and compression ruin the experience for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Distance Over Time sound quality issue
« Reply #1900 on: October 25, 2019, 01:45:43 AM »
Thank you for the replies! I asked for a refund from hdtracks too..
Now how can I get a hold of hi res files from the dvd..?

As a side note, one of my favorites when it comes to good music AND decent sound quality is Ark, Burn the sun

I listened to the blu-ray version yesterday, and the dynamics were as expected (nothing exceptional, but good enough), so now I will be able to enjoy the music!

Yup. It still doesn't sound amazing but it is a marked improvement.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1901 on: October 25, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »
I am so glad my brain and/or ears are stupid enough that I can listen to pretty much anything and enjoy it if I like the music without letting things like dynamics and compression ruin the experience for me.

Mine too, I can tell the dynamics are lacking but wow to hear everyone in the band with a separate tone again is so nice. The last few albums every instrument blended together to me, with DT12 being unlistenable. D/T is a fun listen, and I hope the next album has the same separation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1902 on: October 25, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »

That's a really good point.  If they don't blow us away, then they've failed.  Impossible expectations indeed.

Yes and yes.  ADToE and the Astonishing are stellarly good. :metal

I finally got a good chance to listen to TA all the way through -- mostly without interruption (driving to and from my daughter's marching band competition last Saturday).  It was a struggle, and I actually stopped the last track before it ended.  There are 2-3 stellar tracks, and the rest of it is just...boring.  There's SO MUCH sameness on the album.  I may give it one last chance when I drive up to Fresno in a few weeks, but I'm pretty much ready to pack it in and deposit it down with FII and SC at the bottom of the discography.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1903 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
I'm not sure I would like The Astonishing as a "driving" album.  As much as I love the album and enjoy listening to it, I have to be in the right mood and in the right setting.  In the car on a long drive generally isn't the best setting for me for a "prog band doing broadway musical format" type of album.  I generally need something with more energy.  Same reason I don't listen to Neal Morse's Jesus Christ - the Exorcist in that setting either.  It just doesn't work for me. But on the other hand, TA is my go-to when I'm out on the bike trails for a 1-2 hour bike ride.  It's just magic in that setting for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1904 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »
I'm not sure I would like The Astonishing as a "driving" album.  As much as I love the album and enjoy listening to it, I have to be in the right mood and in the right setting.  In the car on a long drive generally isn't the best setting for me for a "prog band doing broadway musical format" type of album.  I generally need something with more energy.  Same reason I don't listen to Neal Morse's Jesus Christ - the Exorcist in that setting either.  It just doesn't work for me. But on the other hand, TA is my go-to when I'm out on the bike trails for a 1-2 hour bike ride.  It's just magic in that setting for me.

Fair point, and I actually thought about it.  Ideally, I'd like about 2 1/2 hours at home by myself with the lyrics booklet in hand, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1905 on: October 25, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
The better place is the "track description" page that used to be on DT.net, if you can find it.  It provided a track-by-track walkthough of the story, which was more concise than the lyrics, but provided more info for figuring out what was going on.  It used to be located at http://dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks, but apparently is no longer there.  Not sure why.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1906 on: October 25, 2019, 11:28:20 AM »
The better place is the "track description" page that used to be on DT.net, if you can find it.  It provided a track-by-track walkthough of the story, which was more concise than the lyrics, but provided more info for figuring out what was going on.  It used to be located at http://dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks, but apparently is no longer there.  Not sure why.

You can access that page (and I did earlier this week) by using the Wayback Machine (www.archive.org).  It does explain the story very well (I couldn't really follow the story well just by listening).  I miss the days of bringing an album home, putting it on, and just lying on my bed reading the lyrics along with the songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1907 on: October 25, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
Similarly, I miss the days when my eyes were good enough that I could actually read what was in the lyric books.  :biggrin:

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1908 on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »

Fair point, and I actually thought about it.  Ideally, I'd like about 2 1/2 hours at home by myself with the lyrics booklet in hand, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

This is how I listened to it the first time through.  I told my family I was not available, locked myself in my room, put on my best pair of headphones, layed in bed with the lyrics and story all printed out and just... listened.  This'll sound over dramatic but it was a magical experience, and not in the Disney sort of way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1909 on: October 25, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

This is how I listened to it the first time through.  I told my family I was not available, locked myself in my room, put on my best pair of headphones, layed in bed with the lyrics and story all printed out and just... listened.  This'll sound over dramatic but it was a magical experience, and not in the Disney sort of way.

Exactly, its why I wish they could do a full on Broadway musical.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1910 on: October 25, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »

I'm with you.  I know a bunch of fans found DT12 hard to listen to because of the compression/loudness, but it doesn't bother me at all and Metallica's Death Magnetic doesn't bother me either, clipping and all  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1911 on: October 25, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »
Similarly, I miss the days when my eyes were good enough that I could actually read what was in the lyric books.  :biggrin:

Reading glasses are wonderful things!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1912 on: October 25, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
Minor quibbles aside, I agree in spirit with lovethedrake.  I am a big fan of all four albums they have done with Mangini, and not many bands can say their 11th through 14th studio albums as a 4-album run is as good as ADTOE, DT12, TA and D/T, but they are prog metal legends (by and large) because of 1992-2002.  I won't say they ever lost their way, but there was definitely some slippage the last few years of the Portnoy era, and I think it's clear that his departure combined with the addition of Mangini gave them the kick in the pants that they were needing.

Agreed 100%. It's like around SC-BC&SL they were all over the highway, weaving between lanes.... And since 2011, they've settled in to the lane they feel happiest and most comfortable in, and set the cruise control at 65. (Maybe TA was them trying the express lane for a bit, and taking the off-ramp for some grub). I don't mean that part about the cruise control in a negative way. I think that's the best most anyone could hope for at that stage in their life and career. Other bands are going to blow by them, take a more popular route, but they aren't going to sacrifice going erratically for stability when they feel that's the best way to get where they are headed.

I suck at analogies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1913 on: October 26, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
Minor quibbles aside, I agree in spirit with lovethedrake.  I am a big fan of all four albums they have done with Mangini, and not many bands can say their 11th through 14th studio albums as a 4-album run is as good as ADTOE, DT12, TA and D/T, but they are prog metal legends (by and large) because of 1992-2002.  I won't say they ever lost their way, but there was definitely some slippage the last few years of the Portnoy era, and I think it's clear that his departure combined with the addition of Mangini gave them the kick in the pants that they were needing.

Agreed 100%. It's like around SC-BC&SL they were all over the highway, weaving between lanes.... And since 2011, they've settled in to the lane they feel happiest and most comfortable in, and set the cruise control at 65. (Maybe TA was them trying the express lane for a bit, and taking the off-ramp for some grub). I don't mean that part about the cruise control in a negative way. I think that's the best most anyone could hope for at that stage in their life and career. Other bands are going to blow by them, take a more popular route, but they aren't going to sacrifice going erratically for stability when they feel that's the best way to get where they are headed.

I suck at analogies.
I see what you're saying though, so it works I guess.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1914 on: October 29, 2019, 04:02:36 AM »
Even if I agree on the fact I had high and lows with systematic chaos / black cloud & SL / the astonishing...
I don't feel that DT "died" after TOT, because when they try stuff, people complain it's different, when they do typical DT, people say they redid X album track by track.

To each his own, D/T is super strong, the only little things that bother me are CD audio dynamics compared to bluray and the song order on the disk :)

Can't wait to see them live in 2020 and I think the blend of all the eras is gonna be awesome !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #1915 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
The album has grown on me over time; it is my favorite Mangini album.  This album is best enjoyed driving fast with the windows down on a long, straight country road.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1916 on: November 07, 2019, 07:53:38 AM »

Reading glasses are wonderful things!

I actually swiped a magnifying glass from my step son for those hard to read passages... :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1917 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:31 AM »
Listened to the album for the first time in a little while yesterday, and I still think this is the most "fun" DT album they've ever done.  They sound so relaxed and completely dialed in, and it shows throughout the record.  I hope the next record has that same vibe and energy.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1918 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
I'm with you romdrums. Listened to DOT for the first time in months today. The record is still fresh, still good. They really nailed a great balance on this one.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1919 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/everymanpodcast/41-james-labrie-dream-theater

This is a new podcast with James LaBrie. I listened it.

To who can't listen whole podcast I take some interesting notes.

*James mentions his vocal practices. Like eating habit, sleeping habit (he says he is an insomaniac), walking or else.
*James feels he sounds better than Astonishing and I&W anniversary tour.
*James thinks he has to take more control over his voice to keep it for older ages.
*James re-works with Jamie Vandera again (he actually made a working calender with him yesterday before podcast)
*James knows his voice is not some of cup of tea. Understands the criticisms, even negative  and mean ones.
*James literally said "yeah I have nights sounds like shit too" like any other vocalists and hopes he's never been remembered for his off nights.
*James' next solo album is going to be like EoP, much more keyboard orianted album. Have ideas and in one years he hopes to release.

Other than those, his musical history (winter rose to solo projects), vocal incidents, band enviroment, tours, next album ideas and his personal view of music.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1920 on: November 20, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »
*James knows his voice is not some of cup of tea. Understands the criticisms, even negative  and mean ones.
*James literally said "yeah I have nights sounds like shit too" like any other vocalists and hopes he's never been remembered for his off nights.

That makes me respect him even more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1921 on: November 20, 2019, 04:02:01 PM »
Blah, I hate Vendera. The notes he coaches people to hit are impressive, but the vowels and the tone really suffer in everything I've ever seen of his coaching work. Good news about the solo albums, the pop melodeath thing was very fun but after two albums it's time to take it down a notch, especially since I presume Matt Guillory is going to be doing the same thing on his own solo album.

Gonna listen later, I love hearing James talk.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1922 on: November 20, 2019, 05:32:51 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/everymanpodcast/41-james-labrie-dream-theater

This is a new podcast with James LaBrie. I listened it.

To who can't listen whole podcast I take some interesting notes.

*James mentions his vocal practices. Like eating habit, sleeping habit (he says he is an insomaniac), walking or else.
*James feels he sounds better than Astonishing and I&W anniversary tour.
*James thinks he has to take more control over his voice to keep it for older ages.
*James re-works with Jamie Vandera again (he actually made a working calender with him yesterday before podcast)
*James' next solo album is going to be like EoP, much more keyboard orianted album. Have ideas and in one years he hopes to release.

Other than those, his musical history (winter rose to solo projects), vocal incidents, band enviroment, tours, next album ideas and his personal view of music.

James is one class act.  I know he struggles, but when he's good, he's really good.  Especially on the albums.  I love his voice and so does my whole family.  I couldn't imagine DT without him.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1923 on: November 21, 2019, 01:34:53 AM »
Me either. And he was very friendly when I met him at age 12. (as were JP and Jordan)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1924 on: November 21, 2019, 02:08:52 AM »
Me either. And he was very friendly when I met him at age 12. (as were JP and Jordan)

Same here, he's the only DT member I met 'cause I caught him touring solo, and he was absolutely kind and receptive. I even said  about my bunch of booklets "Well, do you want to maybe sign them after the show?" to not take up much of his time, and he replied "I'm here now, let's just do it" while he could have just saved himself the trouble to sign several DT and solo booklets.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!