Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189037 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1820 on: September 24, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »
If they play The Astonishing at one of those shows I will be happy... not otherwise

There’s zero chance of this. Tickets are being sold for the 2nd night on the basis of this being the DOT tour and celebrating SFAM. If people buy tickets to see that and then get The Astonishing instead, they’ll be royally pissed off and justifiably so. If 2nd night was going to be The Astonishing, they would have to advertise it as such.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1821 on: September 24, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
I wouldn't say zero percent.  It's probably more along the lines of...um...well, yeah, actually zero sounds about right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1822 on: September 24, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Now Petrucci has a chance to redeem himself with 'there can be no turning baaaaaaaaack'  :o

And James can finally correct "we're laring one eternity"  :biggrin:

He should do it again -- just for the sake of nostalgia.

And the closing quote is: Sorry for the short set.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1823 on: September 24, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »

Maybe they will finally fix "Please never forget, let your memory of me dissappear!" (Still a beautiful moment from that album.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: September 26, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
Listened to the album in full after taking an extended break. Thoughts:

The first four songs, while not including any 5-star songs, is a solid run, definitely one of their strongest opening 4-song runs to start an album.

R137 wasn't as skippable as I remembered it being. It's not great, but I made it through with some enjoyment. I feel like if this song was written in the late 00s it would be 10 minutes long and annoyingly repetitive.

S2N was better than I remembered, though that instrumental section in the middle is my least favorite on the album. A bit of a wasted effort.

AWE is still awesome, though [controversial opinion?] the instrumental break before the "Asked me to listen..." part is weak and keeps it from being one of my top 5 DT songs.

Out of Reach: Good song and a bridges the AWE-PBD gap nicely. I don't like the "Ahhh-ahhhs" at the end, but small detail, otherwise no complaints.

PBD: I still think there is something missing that keeps this from being an instant classic. It is a great song, just a feeling there it's a bit of a missed opportunity. Love the subject matter/theme.

VK: Still not sure what to make of this song. I wonder how I would feel about it if it didn't have that silly "Bonus Track" label. It's not bad, but it doesn't stand out in any way. Chorus is pretty rocking though.

Solid album, some highs though nothing legendary, a few lows that don't bring it down significantly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1825 on: September 27, 2019, 01:06:11 AM »
PBD: I still think there is something missing that keeps this from being an instant classic. It is a great song, just a feeling there it's a bit of a missed opportunity. Love the subject matter/theme.

I think the subject matter would have been better suited for the music of Illumination Theory. Not that the actual lyrics of that song are bad or out of place, but a speech about the immensity of the universe and the urge to togetherness in face of our insignificant little spot in the universe would have made wonders for IT, especially the ending part.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1826 on: October 06, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »
Did D/T grow on you or did you like it right away? (I know this may have made sense as a thread of its own, but I'm interested to know)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1827 on: October 07, 2019, 07:57:20 AM »
Did D/T grow on you or did you like it right away? (I know this may have made sense as a thread of its own, but I'm interested to know)

Are you asking somebody specifically, or is this aimed at everybody?  If the latter, I'll go ahead and answer:  I liked it right away.  But not really for the singles (other than Paralyzed).  Untethered and FITL actually took me a bit to appreciate.  But the deep cuts grabbed me right away.  The one thing that felt "off" initially was that the album felt too short.  It doesn't anymore, but I remember feeling that way the first few listens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1828 on: October 07, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »

Are you asking somebody specifically, or is this aimed at everybody?  If the latter, I'll go ahead and answer:  I liked it right away.  But not really for the singles (other than Paralyzed).  Untethered and FITL actually took me a bit to appreciate.  But the deep cuts grabbed me right away.  The one thing that felt "off" initially was that the album felt too short.  It doesn't anymore, but I remember feeling that way the first few listens.
yes, the latter. Forgot to mention that originally.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1829 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
The one thing that felt "off" initially was that the album felt too short.  It doesn't anymore, but I remember feeling that way the first few listens.

It definitely feels "short" (by DT standards), but that's probably because the songs fly by, there's no unnecesary noodling or longer sections for the sake of it.

Having said that, I really want a 30 minute epic on the next album :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1830 on: October 07, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
The one thing that felt "off" initially was that the album felt too short.  It doesn't anymore, but I remember feeling that way the first few listens.

It definitely feels "short" (by DT standards), but that's probably because the songs fly by, there's no unnecesary noodling or longer sections for the sake of it.

now that would be fun I'm sure

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1831 on: October 07, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »

now that would be fun I'm sure

:metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline sylentman

« Reply #1832 on: October 08, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »

I felt similar, also on the "short" comment.  At some point thought that if an Instrumental song was the thing missing so it wouldn't feel "short"...But think making it longer or an instrumental were things the band was not looking forward on this album. I would have loved at least a short instrumental song on D/T ;).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1833 on: October 08, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
I think the album has grown on me a lot over the past few months. I couldn't be happier that they went with the more concise approach to the song structures, & the album (or at least the playlist I made of it :lol) flows really well. The album as a whole isn't quite as good as TA, but it's really close, & far above ADTOE & DT12.

That said, I'm going to reiterate what many people have already said: I think Room 137 should've been the bonus track instead of Viper King.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1834 on: October 09, 2019, 01:21:20 AM »
I liked it straight away and it grew on me with time also, particularly PBD. I respectfully disagree with the above post regarding Room 137 and Viper King. I’m not saying one is a better song than the other but, to me at least, Room 137 fits on the album sonically and stylistically. Viper King, whilst I enjoy it a lot, screams bonus track to me. Not because it’s bad but just because it doesn’t sound like it fits on the album, it sounds like a fun homage to Deep Purple on an album of fairly dark, modern sounding metal songs. Just my opinion though, it’s an awesome album that stands up 8 months on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1835 on: October 09, 2019, 01:31:48 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you, Viper King definitively is the bonus track. And if you take out Room 137 off the album, the number on the android's hand has no meaning  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1836 on: October 09, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
I liked it straight away and it grew on me with time also, particularly PBD. I respectfully disagree with the above post regarding Room 137 and Viper King. I’m not saying one is a better song than the other but, to me at least, Room 137 fits on the album sonically and stylistically. Viper King, whilst I enjoy it a lot, screams bonus track to me. Not because it’s bad but just because it doesn’t sound like it fits on the album, it sounds like a fun homage to Deep Purple on an album of fairly dark, modern sounding metal songs. Just my opinion though, it’s an awesome album that stands up 8 months on.

I don't disagree with that at all.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1837 on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »

Based on the track by track interview that was the subject of another thread, it sounds to me that DT intended Viper King to be just a fun off-the-cuff song.  And it sits nicley as labeled as a bonus track, but I still listen to the album all the way through as if it was intended to be part of the album proper even though I know that was not the case. 
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1838 on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Me too, it’s a fun song with some killer JP playing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1839 on: October 09, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
Viper King is the best Van Halen song in the last 20 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1840 on: October 09, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1841 on: October 09, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »

What VH album should it be on?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1842 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »

VK reminds me more of Extreme then VH.

BTW - LOVE JP's solo on this track!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1843 on: October 09, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »

Lol, I agree!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1844 on: October 09, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »

and Led Zeppelin too IMHO (think Black Dog but with cleaner execution)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1845 on: October 09, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1846 on: October 09, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »

Mike was in Extreme after all...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1847 on: October 09, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »

I'm going to make a 1984 playlist and sneak that song in somewhere.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: October 09, 2019, 05:29:21 PM »

Viper King is the best Sons of Apollo song ever

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1849 on: October 10, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »

Viper King is the best Sons of Apollo song ever
Well, so is Out of Reach.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1850 on: October 11, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »
The new digipaks have the correct logo font.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1851 on: October 20, 2019, 03:53:58 AM »
At Wit's End live from Tivoli Theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTFbusGkjdY

I think At Wit's End is the second Breaking All Illusions where James shines live considering his age and limits.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1852 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »
Love that song on the album, but that video seems to
lack energy. Also could not hear MM's kick. Watching him
reach so high makes my traps and upper back hurt.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1853 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »

I like it just as much as when I first heard it. I think it's a good solid album but I haven't listened to it that much since the first month it came out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Rallyfinnen

« Reply #1854 on: October 22, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »
So, this is my first post. Have been a fan since Images and words, liked most of the albums, but not all.
I heard DoT on Spotify first, and liked the music, but not so much the sound. Since I'm a bit of a hifi-enthusiast, I bought the album in high resolution online, and to my surprise the sound was just as bad. I was shocked!

I think this must be the worst album so far when it comes to mastering. The sound totally lacks dynamics, and sounds like limiters are working overtime in more intense tracks (opening track is a good example). Drums are compressed and kick drum sounds really odd with a low range boost. Fat sound, but no dynamics and really tiring to listen to. Digital audio can do so much more, we are not using cassettes any more (the sound reminds me a little of a tape with the recording level set too high).

Other albums have been varying in sound quality(WDADU comes to mind :), but in this case is seems the input (recorded tracks) was ok, but the dynamics where lost in the mixing/mastering.
Too bad, since the music is top notch (best in the MM-era IMO), but sound quality makes me want to turn it off..

Has nobody else noticed this?