Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188045 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1785 on: September 09, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »
I think that's S2N.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1786 on: September 09, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
On another note I finally listened to the podcast with JP and Eddie Trunk. JP mentioned a riff that JM wrote and they put it in the album. Does anyone know what track that riff is in?

Don't know the specific one he was talking about there, as I haven't listened to it, but the two that have been confirmed to be JM riffs (that I know of) are S2N and UA.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1787 on: September 09, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »
I think that's S2N.
and IMHO it's a fun riff from JM's point of view, him channeling Geddy Lee and all that (I instantly was reminded of both Anthem and By-Tor the first time I listened to it, right when the hunt ended.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online faizoff

« Reply #1788 on: September 09, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
Geez, duh of course it had to be S2N. I don't know why I didn't connect the two. I just listened to d/t right after that podcast too. :facepalm:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1789 on: September 10, 2019, 03:40:38 AM »
On another note I finally listened to the podcast with JP and Eddie Trunk. JP mentioned a riff that JM wrote and they put it in the album. Does anyone know what track that riff is in?

I'm fairly certain he's said in a previous interview that the opening bass riff on S2N was written by JM, but I don't know if it's the same one he's referring to in this interview.

Edit: oops I forgot to go to the next page, so I thought that question was the latest post in the thread :lolpalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1790 on: September 11, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »
It must have been unbelievably unsettling ending his days in room 137. Weird AF.

What did you think it was about before, out of interest?
Me? Or Pg? I actually thought it had to do with The Shining (but then I remembered it was Room 237 in The Shining. Silly me.)

I honestly hadn't given it much thought, but I do recall seeing something about The Shining, which I think would have been cooler, so that's probably what I had in the back of my mind.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I initially thought the song was about the room directly beneath 237 in The Shining.  Turns out it was about something else.  :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1791 on: September 12, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »
Didn't know where to post this, but DT just won "Best International Band" at Prog Music Awards :metal

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline krands85

« Reply #1792 on: September 12, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »
Is that Al Murray presenting the award?  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1793 on: September 12, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
Didn't know where to post this, but DT just won "Best International Band" at Prog Music Awards :metal

I don't get these categories. So, did they win because they go to multiple nations on tour or because they're a bunch of yankees with a canuck in the band?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1794 on: September 14, 2019, 01:28:59 AM »
Because it’s a U.K. based awards show. They have an award for best U.K. band (which Haken won) and then an award for best international band (essentially best foreign band from outside the U.K.) which Dream Theater won.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1795 on: September 14, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »
Because it’s a U.K. based awards show. They have an award for best U.K. band (which Haken won) and then an award for best international band (essentially best foreign band from outside the U.K.) which Dream Theater won.

Gotcha.

In that case  :metal

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1796 on: September 22, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
So I gave DoT an extended break and have started to listen to it again.  I loved it before but I was surprised at how fresh it all still felt.  They really knocked this one out of the park.

I think UA and R137 are just ho hum modern DT songs but I love the rest of the album.

BW and AWE are truly legit classic DT songs.  As a fan of the astonishing as well I really love the direction the band is going.  Their last 3 albums are my 3 favorite since TOT by far and in ascending order with DoT my favorite DT album since Sdoit. 

I expected to come back and find the album a tad stale but if anything it was even better this time around.  My number 4 DT album of all time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1797 on: September 22, 2019, 10:24:16 PM »
So, Prog magazine has a retrospective article on SFAM with new interviews (nothing mind blowing) but it came with a signed lyric sheet of At Wit's End.

That makes me think they may be pulling that one out for the next leg.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1798 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:58 AM »
So, Prog magazine has a retrospective article on SFAM with new interviews (nothing mind blowing) but it came with a signed lyric sheet of At Wit's End.

I got this issue last week with the signed lyric. Looks sweet! I do hope they play AWE in this leg.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1799 on: September 23, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »

I got this issue last week with the signed lyric. Looks sweet! I do hope they play AWE in this leg.
I thought Bosk made that kind of clear on the "The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!" thread:

Very true.  I wonder whether the "new" set list will commence immediately, or if they will do the "old" version in those markets where they haven't played yet (I don't know the answer to that).  But even though the changes are relatively small, I think the new set will leave people in awe.

I'm still considering going but SFaM in it's entirety is a real downer for me so I probably won't.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1800 on: September 23, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »

Signed as in wet ink signatures?  Or replica signatures?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1801 on: September 23, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »

Wet ink sigs. Real deal.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1802 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »

I thought Bosk made that kind of clear on the "The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!" thread:

Very true.  I wonder whether the "new" set list will commence immediately, or if they will do the "old" version in those markets where they haven't played yet (I don't know the answer to that).  But even though the changes are relatively small, I think the new set will leave people in awe.

I'm still considering going but SFaM in it's entirety is a real downer for me so I probably won't.

1. I think bosk only confirmed there would be some small changes, my guess is one or two songs, and am hopeful AWE is one.

2. I'm not the hugest SFAM fan but I would suggest you not miss the show. I'm even seeing them this leg again even though I wasn't crazy about SFAM being played in full from the get go. Oh well, it also allowed me to schedule my bathroom breaks accordingly and not have to worry about lines.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1803 on: September 23, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

Wet ink sigs. Real deal.

Cool!  I had my eye on that but didn't realize it was real signatures.  Good deal for $26.  Just ordered.  Thanks.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1804 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:22 PM »
So I gave DoT an extended break and have started to listen to it again.  I loved it before but I was surprised at how fresh it all still felt.  They really knocked this one out of the park.

I think UA and R137 are just ho hum modern DT songs but I love the rest of the album.

BW and AWE are truly legit classic DT songs.  As a fan of the astonishing as well I really love the direction the band is going.  Their last 3 albums are my 3 favorite since TOT by far and in ascending order with DoT my favorite DT album since Sdoit. 

I expected to come back and find the album a tad stale but if anything it was even better this time around.  My number 4 DT album of all time.

137, Ho Hum?

Thats the most unique DT song we have got.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1805 on: September 23, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »

1. I think bosk only confirmed there would be some small changes, my guess is one or two songs, and am hopeful AWE in this leg.

Well the last word in the line I quoted from Bosk ....

"I think the new set will leave people in awe."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1806 on: September 23, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
We’ll find out in three days! :metal [Insert Nafaryus’ evil laugh here].

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1807 on: September 23, 2019, 10:54:43 PM »

1. I think bosk only confirmed there would be some small changes, my guess is one or two songs, and am hopeful AWE in this leg.

Well the last word in the line I quoted from Bosk ....

"I think the new set will leave people in awe."

:lol

#nuggetz

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1808 on: September 24, 2019, 04:08:31 AM »
It seems Dream Theater is going to film two shows of London next year.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2yieL-AXHo/

I'm unhappy because we already had SFAM in its entirety.
I'm happy because we'll have DoT in its entirety. (Assume they'll play different DoT songs both night)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: September 24, 2019, 04:51:53 AM »
I'm happy that we get another version of SFAM - with this current lineup, and hopefully with much better graphics/animations than LSFNY.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: September 24, 2019, 05:32:44 AM »
If they play The Astonishing at one of those shows I will be happy... not otherwise

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1811 on: September 24, 2019, 06:19:38 AM »
I think the ship has long sailed for an Astonishing live album.

The reality is, unfortunately, it is one of the least popular DT albums. I doubt they are going to revisit it live just to play a note for note rendition of it. I can't really see the point of that and I doubt it would be particularly successful.
Of course, if they make it into a proper production, get a 'cast' of vocalists (similar to Ayreon) and costumes, sets etc, that would be very cool.

This should be an interesting DVD, perhaps a bit redundant, bt the band was on excellent form when I saw them at Download Festival.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1812 on: September 24, 2019, 07:23:39 AM »
Are we 100% sure this DVD will include scenes? Here is the actual setlist from the LSFNY show:

Set 1: Metropolis, Part 2: Scenes From a Memory

Set 2:
Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
The Mirror (Including "Lie" coda)
Just Let Me Breathe
Acid Rain (Liquid Tension Experiment cover)
Caught in a New Millennium
Another Day (with Jay Beckenstein)
Keyboard Solo
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
Learning to Live

Encore:
A Change of Seasons

The DVD only included 3 songs from the second set and the encore. What if they will only include the first set (rotating a few songs will help with duration) and maybe 1/3 of Scenes?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1813 on: September 24, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
They could pull that off if they play different setlists each night. That way we could get all the songs from the 1st set they did on the US run, all the new songs they're including in the slightly modified version of the set for the upcoming leg, the songs they played on the European festivals, and probably a couple songs from SFAM (hopefully the ones that don't appear on BTFW, nor TSCO), but I feel like they would include the whole thing anyway.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1814 on: September 24, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
I'm guessing they will do the same set both nights and comp the best stuff together from both nights for the DVD.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1815 on: September 24, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
I think the ship has long sailed for an Astonishing live album.

The reality is, unfortunately, it is one of the least popular DT albums. I doubt they are going to revisit it live just to play a note for note rendition of it. I can't really see the point of that and I doubt it would be particularly successful.
Of course, if they make it into a proper production, get a 'cast' of vocalists (similar to Ayreon) and costumes, sets etc, that would be very cool.

This should be an interesting DVD, perhaps a bit redundant, bt the band was on excellent form when I saw them at Download Festival.

Pretty much. If they would film The Astonishing, they would probably do it in two nights such as this London back-to-back date. Would be hard to pull TA perfectly in one night if they were filming it. I'm actually stoked for this film. The current light and video setup for this tour is amazing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1816 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »
Honestly, This Scenes show will likely top the Live Scenes DVD. As long as they make it Especially Special.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evai

« Reply #1817 on: September 24, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
Now Petrucci has a chance to redeem himself with 'there can be no turning baaaaaaaaack'  :o

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1818 on: September 24, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
Now Petrucci has a chance to redeem himself with 'there can be no turning baaaaaaaaack'  :o

And James can finally correct "we're laring one eternity"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1819 on: September 24, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »

And James can finally correct "we're laring one eternity"  :biggrin:

He should do it again -- just for the sake of nostalgia.