Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188148 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »
My judgment is, it is definitely the best MM era album, and it's placed somewhere in the 8V, BCSL region in the overall discography (which are in the upper third of my DT ranking).

Top tunes are AWE, FITL and BW, weak tunes are Viper King (no surprise) but also, gasp, PBD IMO.

The sound is as good as modern DT sound will get, with the minor caveat of MM's hihat (the rest of the kit sounds great however).
The weakest aspect of the album for me are the vocals, which often don't add much to the song.

After TA I was afraid they would play it really really safe to shore up their fan base, but I'm happy to see that D/T was rather used as a "Befreiungsschlag" (German for "an attacking hit to get yourself out of a corner"). I'm looking forward to seeing this live.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Much of the awesomeness of AWE and Barstool Warrior is James' emotional delivery, so I disagree that the vocals are just there. The uniqueness of Room 137 is in large part because of the Beatles like vocal arrangement.

For the hi-hats, I am not sire why but the cymbals in my iTunes download is so.mich clearer than the Spotify stream.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
Really, really enjoying this album, and what excites me is the fact that so many of the songs I flat out want and need to revisit, as there is so much going on - and other albums like this have ended up being my absolute favourites. I too love the sound of AWE and BW, and I did hear someone mention this before, but I love Viper King and definitely feel it fits well enough in the album if pushed up the order. I really enjoyed PBD on first listen too - gave me a real SFAM vibe actually, and I feel there’s so much more to explore there. The ballad OOR is beautiful - what is there is one of the very best ballads they have done, I just can’t help but think it needed another repeat of the beautiful, big chorus to round it out. StN is another like PBD for me - love the initial listen, and so much yet to explore. R137 is an interesting one - at first it was a little straight up, but it gets far more interesting by the second.

Overall on first listen, this could well be right up in my top 5, and with so much more listening and exploring to do, I couldn’t be happier. Great job guys!

Offline gm5k

« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
This wait is killing me here in Texas...still got 6 hours  :-\

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
I just finished my 3rd listen and just....wow! DT have seriously knocked it out of the park with this one! I can safely say this is their best work since 8vm for me. The production is perfect and each member has the perfect tone, the songs are simple, yet still maintain that signature DT sound and style. The pacing of the songs, the way the album flows is outstanding and some of their most melodic material is on this album, especially showcased in JP's soloing. It may be a 57 minute album, but it feels no longer than 30!

They better play At Wit's End on this upcoming tour....I HAVE to hear it live. I can't ever recall being so emotionally moved by a DT song...I never want that outro solo to end, it sounds like heaven.

Oh, and one more thing.....hopefully this record will finally shut the Mangini haters up, cuz he is truly unleashed on this one!!

Offline ReinoudW

« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
I can echo the reviews so far: what a really great album. It is tight, heavy and sounds very good, the production is a breath of fresh air. The songs are a bit more compressed than usual, but there is still all of the virtuosity that one expects from DT. And John Petrucci is on fire: great riffs and a number of excellent solo's added to the collection. I look forward to listening to this album a lot the coming days and months.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
In a couple of hours I'm gonna drive off location for a few miles to get enough 4G to download my digital copy, almost there!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline purzel

« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
wow just wow 😮 after first listening im totally blown away. I listen to these guys 26 years now but I can’t remember I was so positive shocked after first listening. the whole album works so fine. great production great drums beautiful guitar solos it’s just so enjoyable to listen. that’s the band I falled in love 26 years ago. so happy after boring DT12 and for me not working Astonishing. great output thank you DT for this record.

Offline kiszol

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
First impressions:

I'm not that blown away after the first listen as most of you but a good album for sure.
Somewhat surprisingly my early favorites are:

1. Room 137!
2. S2N (wow!)
3. Pale Blue Dot
4. At Wit's End

I'm not including the singles here as I heard them a lot of times and it wouldn't be a fair comparison at the moment.

I feel that BW, AWE and PBD has a significant amount of growing potential as well for me so I won't be surprised if those three would be my TOP3 after a dozen or so spins.  :D

Out of Reach does nothing to me, and Barstool Warrior is a bit of a letdown after the praise it got.

Overall very decent, but it's too early to compare it to other DT albums. I would be surprised however if it would ever trouble my all-time TOP2 (SFAM and 6DOIT).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
I just got this! They were selling it today and I grabbed it.

This is such a fun record, I haven't had so much fun listening to DT in a long time. This, to my ears, is the album DT13 should've been.

Definite highlights, by far: Barstool Warrior, S2N, At Wit's End and Pale Blue Dot.

I like there are no 10+ minute songs, and they kinda trimmed all the fat. An idea similar to what they did with DT13, but let's face it: the songs are way cooler.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline adamack

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
To me, this is an album reminiscent of DT12, though considerably better and with a much better mix. I've taken a good 4 listens to the album, and here are my thoughts. Apologies for the length of this post.

The Good

This may be their best sounding album, mix-wise, in the MM era. DT12 sounded too filtered (sounded like they cut too much off the high end) and mid-heavy, and was the infamous "triggered drums" era of Mangini. Mangini's snare also sounded very dark and boomy.

Everything on DoT sounds brighter, and Myung's bass seems to have more bottom end. The cymbals are nice and bright, and everything seems panned nicely. JP's tone also sounds even more fantastic than usual. Not only the leads, but the rhythm sections as well.

Did I mention this is THE best Mangini? Not only the sound of his drums, but what he’s playing. I feel like he has finally come out of his shell and has fully arrived with a vengeance. Outstanding!

The only thing I don't really like is that they seem to be using a de-esser for James, and the frequency they are compressing makes his "S sounds" sound weird at times. Extremely small gripe though.

I also appreciate that there are a lot of heavy sections on this album. The 3 "singles" all contain some killer riffs, and Room 137 and Pale Blue Dot are also nice and heavy.

My favorite tracks have got to be Fall Into The Light, S2N, Barstool Warrior and Pale Blue Dot.

Barstool Warrior is awesome. I didn't think I'd like this one based on the title, but it's a beautiful song. Petrucci sounds absolutely fantastic on this song. I also really love the verses, and of course the chorus.

S2N really surprised me. When I heard the sampler, I wasn't in love with the chorus. But in the context of the song, it's definitely become my favorite chorus on the album. Also, that riff at the end of the song is awesome! Reminds me very much of the ending to TDEN - how everything just breaks down as a brand new riff is introduced to close out the song, giving JR free roam to work his magic all over the track.

Another standout part of the album is that riff in Pale Blue Dot around 1:50. It has a sort of menacing sound, and it fits nicely with the chaos of the universe. This song in general reminds me a lot of Avenged Sevenfold's "Exist",  in that both tracks are album closers about the universe, and both having speech samples from known astronomers in their intros, before breaking into some chaotic riffs. Really love JP's ending solo too. Those trills give the most accurate musical representation of the "unknown" reaches of space I've heard.

At Wit's End is also good, but not quite as good as I'd hoped based on reviews. It seemed to be one of the early standouts, but again, it sounds very DT12-esque to me so this lowered my enjoyment. I do think this track has the potential to be a grower though. I really wished it'd have been a proper 9 minutes though, as the last 2 minutes are basically just the fade out/in.

Paralyzed is a tough one. I think I like it now, but I hated it when they first released it. The intro really reminds me of Disturbed (who I hate), but Labrie's excellent vocal melodies are really starting to grow on me.

Finally, I like that there is only one ballad on this album. ADToE had 3 ballads. Beneath The Surface is one of my favorite DT ballads, but if Far From Heaven was replaced by one more killer song, I feel like ADToE would be among my fav DT albums ever.

The Not As Good

My biggest fear is how well it will age. DT12 aged terribly for me, and though I like DoT better at this point, I'm not sure if I will still be listening in the years to come. Out of every band I've ever known, DT holds the crown for having the best replay value through the last 20+ years I've listened to them. I still get goosebumps when listening to songs like SDoIT, Octavarium, ACoS...hell - pretty much 90%of their stuff.

But this album, while great, doesn't quite seem to have all of the intricacies that are responsible for that replay value. Maybe it's my own fault for listening to so much DT in the past that almost nothing they do can seem fresh. But there is just something about this album that doesn't have me listening constantly like I did when their other albums first came out.

As a small example, Petrucci's solo in Barstool Warrior sounds very similar to his melodic lead sections in Surrender To Reason or The Bigger Picture. Not particularly a bad thing, as those were my favorite parts from those songs. But if this was the first time I'd heard such a solo, I would be absolutely in love with it.

I'm really not a fan of Room 137. The riffs are awesome, but the vocal melodies just don't do it for me. I always like to think that songs are growers, but I honestly just don't see myself ever liking this song.

I'm also not really feeling Out of Reach. I appreciate that they put one ballad on the album, and it's not a bad song by any means. But it will definitely get lost in a sea of other DT songs I'd rather listen to.

So overall, there are only 2 songs I actively dislike. This is not bad, as it's par for the course with every DT album after ToT (aside from BC&SL, on which I liked every song - though there were only 6 total). On DT12, there were 4 songs I disliked (FAS, TEM, TLG, and AFtR), which is almost half of the album.

The album honestly isn't blowing me away so far, but it's still early and it could end up as my second favorite MM-era album.

Early Rating

It may be too early to rate, as I've only listened to the album around 4 times. But I'd give it a 7.5

And for good measure, here are my ratings of all past full-length LaBrie-era DT albums:

I&W: 10
Awake: 7
FII: 6.9
SFaM: 10
SDoIT: 10
ToT: 10
O8V: 8
SC: 8.2
BC&SL: 8.6
ADToE: 9
DT12: 6.5
TA: 7.5
DoT: 7.5
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:07:49 PM by adamack »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
Dt just posted a live video from the listening party, looks like the folks over there are having a blast.
I'm jelly.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
Axeman is there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
Let's talk shit about him.

Offline adamack

« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »
Whoops, hit reply instead of edit. Disregard this

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
3 hours to go in my timezone :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline drod1985

« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »
Upon initial listens DoT is probably in my top 5 Dream Theater albums. I don’t think my initial reaction is recency bias, as I was never partial to The Astonishnig and DT12 had to grow on me.  DoT is pretty much everything I wanted in a DT album: concise riffy tunes, raw amazing guitar tones, less emphasis on Jordan trying to sound like a guitarist, and the right balance of prog to metal. The singles were the weakest songs on the album, and they’re not bad, they’re just not as interesting as the rest of the album. The mix is also miles better than the last few albums. Drums sounds great, bass is present and guitars sound incredible.

It really seems like everybody brought their A-game and camaraderie was at an all time high here. I’m so glad I got tickets for this tour (it’ll be my first time seeing them since 2005). I hope this energy and approach carries into the tour and subsequent albums.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2019, 07:14:58 PM »
I have Amazon music unlimited and am wondering if they will make the album available at midnight EST.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
I have Amazon music unlimited and am wondering if they will make the album available at midnight EST.

Same here. I’ve held out being that it’s up on YouTube.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »
Does Amazon music unlimited let you download or just stream?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
You can do both. Download is for offline use but is limited to the app itself. You can't download and copy the files to a PC or elsewhere.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
From track 5 onwards, I'm in love. Some very spicy, groovy and fucking heavy stuff there. Dream Theater have risen out of the swamp of the past two albums, possibly nearing some of the 90s greatness in areas. I can tell instantly there is lots of replay value with the second half of the album, I'm impressed!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »
OK, listening to this shit right now!  :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Whoa Paralyzed! Dee Tee bringing on the MEO'LL! :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
That fuckin outro though with the overlaying vocals and the main riff, good fuckin god this is sweet!

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2019, 09:10:32 PM »
Amazing album!!!

I think that every track shines in its own way.

Some, like A Wit's End, Fall Into The Light and Pale Blue Dot have potential to become DT classics like Learning To Live and Trial Of Tears. Any has potential to become a top 5 or 10 DT song; hard to say how time will treat them.

I'm really impressed by the direct intensity of Room 137 and Viper King. Loved the underlying themes. Rocking, singing along with Labrie!

S2N and Barstool Warrior are great too, but somewhat curve balls. Haven't fully understood them, but I already really like them!

Paralyzed and Untethered Angel are great too. A little more on the safe side, but great songs with great melodies and riffs nonetheless. I hope that when I listen to the album around 30 times I'll be able to correctly assess these songs.

Out Of Reach is a good ballad. Nothing too impressing or different, but fine. Probably a little below the ballads of The Astonishing (which kicks ass with Chosen, Ravenskill, The Answer, A Life Left Behind, A Savior In The Square, When Your Time Has Come and my favorite, The X Aspect), and about on par with Anna Lee, Along For The Ride and Far From Heaven, so there's nothing to really complain.

Verdict: Dozens of listens for the singles, three for the full album. Certainly in my top 7. My current ranking:

1. SFAM
2. IAW
3. Awake
4. DOT
5. TA
6. SDOIT
7. BCASL

And I'm no sound engineer, but the album is sonically flawless to me.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
UA - Cool intro song to album.
Paralyzed
FITL - I still love this one  :laugh:
BW - Very good!
R137 - Very different! Love it!
2SN - Amazing song (even with the TDEN-like ending  :'()
AWE - Could be in TA. Fade out/Fade in  :justjen
OOR - FII era vibe? I liked it.
PBD - Need spin more times
VK - Very cool!

Offline themkr

« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »
That at wit's end outro.  :heart

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2019, 09:14:48 PM »
Almost midnight here.

I still haven't heard any leaked versions of the album yet, just the 3 released songs.

Can't wait.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »
Just got home from the launch listening party!

It is more than what I expected. I’ll get this out the way now...BW did not do anything for me. It seems most people like it. I have to listen to it more and maybe it will grow on me.

S2N: amazing song
R137: awesome
AWE: probably will make it to my DT top 10, maybe top 5.
PBD: pretty cool, deff has potential to grow on me.

The album after 1 listen is deff really good. And the second half is better than the first.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline rab7

« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »
Certainly in my top 7. My current ranking:

1. SFAM
2. IAW
3. Awake
4. DOT
5. TA
6. SDOIT
7. BCASL

Why not just say top 4? Or is it that 4-7 can fluctuate any given day?

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Strange how no one is really fussed on the ballad.. I think it’s beautiful, in sections James sounds almost IAW on that track

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »
Strange how no one is really fussed on the ballad.. I think it’s beautiful, in sections James sounds almost IAW on that track

I liked it.

I really like DT ballads. Love BTS, FFH, AFTR, many on TA, etc.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
Certainly in my top 7. My current ranking:

1. SFAM
2. IAW
3. Awake
4. DOT
5. TA
6. SDOIT
7. BCASL

Why not just say top 4? Or is it that 4-7 can fluctuate any given day?

Exactly, they fluctuate a bit, and I didn't want to over-commit. It is 4th right now, but maybe after some familiarity is gained it could be a little lower. (But it has plenty of potential to go up too!) However, I don't believe it possible that it leaves the current TOP 7.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
Hooray for Spotify releasing on Eastern Time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD