Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188258 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1715 on: August 23, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
So, apparently the discussion about the writing process for The Mirror and Lie is so interesting that nobody of us seemingly noticed that now there's an animated video for Barstool Warrior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9b-Qc8e_vk

"Cutting the anchor away."
> Show a picture of a moored boat.

Come on.

DT would be better served by showing footage of them playing.  The odd lyric/animated video is fine, but now that's basically all we've had from them from D/T so far.  Especially Barstool Warrior, which seems to be the "it" track from D/T, give it a proper release.

Are music videos still a big thing? I can't remember the last time I watched a music video that wasn't an animated video. It makes since, it's probably cheap to make and most people will listen to songs in the background and not even pay attention to the video.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1716 on: August 23, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
So, apparently the discussion about the writing process for The Mirror and Lie is so interesting that nobody of us seemingly noticed that now there's an animated video for Barstool Warrior:

Come on.

DT would be better served by showing footage of them playing.  The odd lyric/animated video is fine, but now that's basically all we've had from them from D/T so far.  Especially Barstool Warrior, which seems to be the "it" track from D/T, give it a proper release.

Are music videos still a big thing? I can't remember the last time I watched a music video that wasn't an animated video. It makes since, it's probably cheap to make and most people will listen to songs in the background and not even pay attention to the video.

They are rare but still a thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdUhTHGR1Tk
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: August 23, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
I don't know if they are that rare. Within Temptation put out a couple videos for Resist, and they were neither animated nor just the band playing. From the lovely Sharon herself:

ON WITHIN TEMPTATION’S NEW MUSIC VIDEO FOR “SUPERNOVA” ALREADY HITTING 3 MILLION VIEWS AND THE IMPORTANCE OF MUSIC VIDEOS FOR MUSICIANS TODAY

I think it’s pretty important, because it defines who you are as a band. It’s an easy way to get an impression of a band, and music videos are easy to access. People go on the Internet to check out a band and get an idea of a band and see the music they are making. I think a lot of people make very basic videos, but we try to spend more time on videos and put a lot into them. It’s more than a simple video — it’s an expressive one with a story behind it. So, the videos that we’ve done so far for this album are pretty expensive. I think it’s a good way to promote your album, especially because you can’t rely on radio in all countries.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1718 on: August 24, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
I don't know if they are that rare. Within Temptation put out a couple videos for Resist, and they were neither animated nor just the band playing.

I wonder if maybe the music industry (Rock and Metal labels specifically) put more importance on it in Europe than in North America. You could look up Nuclear Blast Records, or Napalm Records, and they both have plenty European bands all making really good and engaging music videos. But I rarely see that from North American bands. I don't know if it's because the Metal scene in Europe is bigger, maybe they're actually getting TV play, and people still watch TV, or something, but I definitely see more effort being put into music videos by European bands over North American ones.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1719 on: August 24, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
Like so many other things, we have 1000 varieties of everything in the U.S., and instant access to it.  If you make a video here, it will be out there with a million other videos viewable on a hundred different platforms and channels.  Some people will see it.  Yay.  In Europe, there are only a handful of outlets, so a new video will be mainstream for a while and most people will see it.  It's a better bang for the buck over there.  That's my theory anyway.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1720 on: August 24, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »
Eh...Usually InsideOut is the one that usually does the lyric video animations.

The other labels are the ones that do videos, I'll see a couple lyric videos now and then from some bands, but not all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: August 24, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Not to be critical, but do people actually watch these videos? I don't get the appeal.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1722 on: August 24, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »

Not to be critical, but do people actually watch these videos? I don't get the appeal.

Me neither, but lyric videos are less expensive to make, so I guess that’s another factor too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1723 on: August 24, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »

Come on.

"Scripted" music videos with acting and such aren't as common but filming a live performance or two and cutting a video is simple enough and easier than a lyric video, honestly.  When I did my lyric video for This Is The Life back in the day it took forever and it wasn't even complicated.  I would have much preferred to slice together a 12-camera performance video.

Take a look at Untethered Angel, that's a "performance" video, and much more interesting than watching an animated slideshow and way easier to put together.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: August 24, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »
On the topic of Untethered Angel, a video solely dedicated to JP and the guys grilling would make for more fascinating viewing than most of the videos they'd ever released. I would totally watch that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1725 on: August 24, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
JLB: …Between the tours we’re going to be doing after Europe we’re introducing new songs, so let’s play a couple of songs from the album that we haven’t played yet.

Source: https://downloadfestival.co.uk/news-features/interview-dream-theater-we-knew-we-wanted-to-do-a-heavier-album/

My money is on AWE and S2N :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1726 on: August 24, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
Heck yeah now I’m hyped for the upcoming show. Less than 2 months  :millahhhh :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1727 on: August 26, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
And I don't think anything about DT triggers me more than hearing Beneath the Surface is a "post-credits" scene or anything of the sort.
???  Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1728 on: August 26, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
And I don't think anything about DT triggers me more than hearing Beneath the Surface is a "post-credits" scene or anything of the sort.
???  Why?
and IIRC, JP himself called it either that or something to the effect during an interview during ADTOE's promo cycle, I may be wrong though.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1729 on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »
Exactly
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1730 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:22 AM »
???  Why?
and IIRC, JP himself called it either that or something to the effect during an interview during ADTOE's promo cycle, I may be wrong though.

Yep, it came from JP's mouth.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: August 26, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »
Maybe I (unfairly?) feel like a descriptor such as that diminishes its worth and value.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1732 on: August 26, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
Well, I don't hold BTS in very high regard anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1733 on: August 26, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
Maybe I (unfairly?) feel like a descriptor such as that diminishes its worth and value.

Well, JP doesn't feel that way, and he was the one that came up with that description, so I think your feelings may be misplaced.  And, honestly, I've always felt that it is a pretty appropriate descriptor.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: August 26, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
Right and as I said, i did not realize that was a sentiment initially posited by the band.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1735 on: August 26, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »
I was listening to Barstool Warrior the other day and I was really digging the solo, mood, and atmosphere before the "Promises made" part. Love that whole lyrical passage, but then it transitions into another section and kinda goes nowhere for me and I was just left feeling disappointed. It would have been cool if the song went:

*Epic, emotional guitar solo*

Promises made, crying in vain
All empty, never accepting the blame
And not letting go of the shame
A river of tears, as months turned to years
All wasted on someone not willing to change
Now only a shadow remains

*Return to the epic, emotional guitar solo for another minute or so, fade out, outro*

It was just another one of those musical moments that DT has done recently where the transitions can feel kinda jarring or they never return to a really cool part. It happens in S2N for me as well:

Shocking truth, climate change
Floods and fires, hurricanes
Overdose, suicide
Innocent die
Fear and race, endless lies
Sex and faith, terrorize
Drugs and guns taking lives
Innocent die

*proggy instrumental section for a minute that leads into the chorus*

It kinda ruins the momentum that the song had going for it, for me at least. I guess I wish it went:

Drugs and guns taking lives
Innocent Die

*return to the main riff of the song, with perhaps a little bit of variation then into the chorus*

I know, the band has it that way because that's how they wanted it to be and that's the way they heard the song. It just holds me back from really loving the songs as a whole, but rather only getting attached to certain parts of the song.

I still shake my head at one of the most badass riffs and musical moments DT has ever had in Ravenskill at 2:22-2:44. One of my favorite passages in recent memory from DT and it's played for 22 seconds never to be heard again.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1736 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
I still shake my head at one of the most badass riffs and musical moments DT has ever had in Ravenskill at 2:22-2:44. One of my favorite passages in recent memory from DT and it's played for 22 seconds never to be heard again.  :lol

I texted almost those exact words to John Petrucci once.  His response was, "Well, I guess I'll have to revisit that riff on The Astonishing, pt. II."  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1737 on: August 27, 2019, 03:09:16 AM »

I texted almost those exact words to John Petrucci once.  His response was, "Well, I guess I'll have to revisit that riff on The Astonishing, pt. II."  :lol
I wouldn't object actually (Ravenskill is one of these pieces on TA that I like more than some others)

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1738 on: August 27, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »

I wouldn't object actually (Ravenskill is one of these pieces on TA that I like more than some others)

Ravenskill rocks!  and..... :rollin

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1739 on: August 27, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »

Would be fun to have TA pt2 but it’s just an epic on a larger album, 10-20 minutes. Doesn’t even need a story, just revisit that albums sound in a condensed way.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1740 on: August 27, 2019, 02:01:33 PM »

Would be fun to have TA pt2 but it’s just an epic on a larger album, 10-20 minutes. Doesn’t even need a story, just revisit that albums sound in a condensed way.

I support this idea, sort of a reverse Metropolis thing where the standalone epic comes second instead of first.

And just for nerdiness sake, Metropolis part 1 goes into Metropolis part 2 8.1 times, so if DT were to keep the same ratio then TA part 2 would be a 16:07 epic.  Which I think would be awesome! :metal
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1741 on: August 28, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Anybody heard the instrumental version of the album? It's on YouTube at

https://youtu.be/VsfmWudh-EU

It's neat hearing it without vocals. Although I think LaBrie did a good job on this album, hearing the album instrumentally allows you to focus on the music and hear things you didn't notice before.

Cool stuff.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1742 on: August 28, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »
Haken included the instrumental versions on their last two albums.  It's interesting the 1st time, but the novelty wears off quick.  I don't find myself going back for multiple listens.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1743 on: August 28, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
There was another post specifically about S2N instrumental. It’s cool to listen to it everyone once in a while.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1744 on: August 29, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
I'm about to toss Room 137 in the trash with Enigma Machine. It seems to be the only song from this album that pops up on shuffle, and I was never that big on it to begin with. Same with Three Days. HAUH. HAUH. HAUH.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1745 on: August 30, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »

I support this idea, sort of a reverse Metropolis thing where the standalone epic comes second instead of first.

And just for nerdiness sake, Metropolis part 1 goes into Metropolis part 2 8.1 times, so if DT were to keep the same ratio then TA part 2 would be a 16:07 epic.  Which I think would be awesome! :metal

I quite like that idea. I hated TA due to the length and lyrical angle but if they were to have done a Broadway style EP, for example, with a decent plot, I'd probably have loved it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1746 on: September 02, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
I had listened to Barstool Warrior again this morning and the moment JP's solo came up, I was somehow reminded of Bed Of Roses in some strange way. :D (but only during his solo)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1747 on: September 02, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
That’s an awesome Sambora solo, hugely underrated guitarist.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1748 on: September 02, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1749 on: September 02, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
That’s an awesome Sambora solo, hugely underrated guitarist.

I totally agree.  Sambora is the main reason why I picked up guitar at all when I was 14.

As much as I love Bon Jovi, when they came last year to support the first album without Sambora, it was the first time in my life that I just didn't feel like going.  Even though Phil X fits in perfectly it just didn't feel right.  I didn't even buy the album, just streamed it a few times and nothing blew me away.

Conversely, Sambora's current music doesn't do anything for me either, even though his first two solo albums were amazing, the first moreso than the second.

It's just too bad things are the way they are right now.  The power and chemistry of Sambora/Bon Jovi together is so much more than how they are now.