Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188968 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1505 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »
I did finally get the boxed set. Here’s my unboxing video...

https://youtu.be/Erlg0fWsOdk

Glad you finally got it bro! This was an ordeal  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1506 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:33 AM »
Barstool Warrior is the hottest song on the album now on Spotify. It's nearing a million plays already in less than one and a half months from release, despite not being released as a single.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1507 on: April 01, 2019, 06:16:48 AM »
Barstool Warrior is the hottest song on the album now on Spotify. It's nearing a million plays already in less than one and a half months from release, despite not being released as a single.

Makes sense, it’s the best song.

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #1508 on: April 01, 2019, 07:30:01 AM »
D/T is in my top half for sure and is my favorite of the Mangini albums.

The only real disappointment for me is it's about 5 minutes away from being VERY high up on my list.  If they had just added 1-2 minutes to the ending guitar solo of AWE and added 3-4 minutes to PBD they would have been great and the album would also.  Instead they both end, for me, before they should.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1509 on: April 01, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »
Well, Pale Blue Dot already has the longest solo section of the album, adding 3-4 minutes unless it's a whole new verse / chorus or a different passage with lyrics wouldn't help the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1510 on: April 01, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »
I like how they cut the ending of AWE, it leaves room for the imagination, and when they get to play this live, a chance for JP to improv.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1511 on: April 01, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
I don’t understand not liking something as much because it’s too short.  I think the “leave you wanting more” thing is what they’re going for.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #1512 on: April 01, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
Well, Pale Blue Dot already has the longest solo section of the album, adding 3-4 minutes unless it's a whole new verse / chorus or a different passage with lyrics wouldn't help the song.

The vocals for PBD end 1:10 before the end of the track.  I think the song is worthy of a 3-4 minute solo to end the track/album.

Not trying to sound like a complainer, I love the track and album, I just think they could have gone from very good to exceptional with a little longer ending solo.  Same with AWE.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1513 on: April 01, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »

The vocals for PBD end 1:10 before the end of the track.  I think the song is worthy of a 3-4 minute solo to end the track/album.

Not trying to sound like a complainer, I love the track and album, I just think they could have gone from very good to exceptional with a little longer ending solo.  Same with AWE.

Yeah, but that is kind of the obvious way to end it. They’ve done that multiple times.  I’m glad they are trying to do things differently. 
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1514 on: April 01, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
At Wit's End really should have been the closing track. Not only is the song more emotionally climatic for me, but it makes no sense to me that there's a hidden track that isn't at the end of the album. :huh:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1515 on: April 02, 2019, 12:21:35 AM »
Can always count on DT for a fun live show, even with technical difficulties :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba5bEit62u4

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1516 on: April 04, 2019, 04:27:54 AM »
I'm at work, I look up to the monitor that shows the number of calls received today.... it was 137.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1517 on: April 04, 2019, 05:17:35 AM »
The number of mails received at my job is 135 at the moment. Damn.  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1518 on: April 04, 2019, 05:51:04 AM »
Fun fact, I think D/T is the only album besides BCSL where every track has a guitar solo. I don’t think anything JP does on Only a Matter of Time could be considered a solo.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1519 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm at work, I look up to the monitor that shows the number of calls received today.... it was 137.

;D

I was on the bus, buried in a book, and I only looked up for a moment, but when I did, we were driving by a building numbered 137.

I think DT fans are forever doomed to notice the number, hahaha.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1520 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:20 AM »

;D

I was on the bus, buried in a book, and I only looked up for a moment, but when I did, we were driving by a building numbered 137.

I think DT fans are forever doomed to notice the number, hahaha.

Never ending number line :omg:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1521 on: April 04, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
DoT probably has more radio friendly songs than most DT albums or maybe any of them for that matter.  I realize DT gets a lot of internet radio play but what about local radio stations?  I never listen to the radio, so does anyone know if some of the new songs are getting radio play at all?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »
DoT probably has more radio friendly songs than most DT albums or maybe any of them for that matter.  I realize DT gets a lot of internet radio play but what about local radio stations?  I never listen to the radio, so does anyone know if some of the new songs are getting radio play at all?
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993,  which is a bummer since they have quite a few radio friendly songs since then. 

I don't know if the label has much clout with mainstream radio since they mostly focus on prog/metal  music. I wish insideoutmusic would push harder to get Distance Over Time on some hard rock stations around the country, but like I said I doubt they have enough clout to do so.

It seems an absolute crime that songs from this album (d/t) aren't getting airplay, Dream Theater deserves better than that!   I know they would have a bigger following here in the states if they did. Plus they would sell out bigger venues.

It all has to do with contracts between radio stations and mainstream record companies.  :tdwn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
I don’t understand not liking something as much because it’s too short.  I think the “leave you wanting more” thing is what they’re going for.

I was initially disappointed with the length (heh heh) of the songs but I ended up being ok with it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: April 05, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
PBD is the only song that makes me feel like I want more and it's not even a short song, the rest feel concise and complete to me.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1525 on: April 05, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »
I have no issue with the song lengths. The only thing that is lacking (to my personal criteria) is precision.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1526 on: April 05, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993,  which is a bummer since they have quite a few radio friendly songs since then. 

I don't know if the label has much clout with mainstream radio since they mostly focus on prog/metal  music. I wish insideoutmusic would push harder to get Distance Over Time on some hard rock stations around the country, but like I said I doubt they have enough clout to do so.

It seems an absolute crime that songs from this album (d/t) aren't getting airplay, Dream Theater deserves better than that!   I know they would have a bigger following here in the states if they did. Plus they would sell out bigger venues.

It all has to do with contracts between radio stations and mainstream record companies.  :tdwn

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure how radio contracts work.  Do they need a request from the record labels in order to play certain bands music?  There has to be some program directors and DJ's out there who know about DT and want to get them into their playlists.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: April 05, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »

News of an exciting collaboration coming on Monday! Stay tuned… 🍻

we getting an official DT beer?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1528 on: April 05, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
I'm guessing an alternate version of the song with guest vocalist.  But what do I know?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: April 05, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
I'm guessing an alternate version of the song with guest vocalist.  But what do I know?

That ran through my mind too given Our New World, but the beer bottles emoji is what my guess is based on (and obviously the song title), plus it's kind of becoming a popular thing for bands to partner with a brewer and make something for the band.  We shall find out Monday.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1530 on: April 05, 2019, 02:54:38 PM »
Maybe one of the members got too drunk and they’re cancelling the tour? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: April 05, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
What about new merch: A barstool with DT logo!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1532 on: April 05, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »

That ran through my mind too given Our New World, but the beer bottles emoji is what my guess is based on (and obviously the song title), plus it's kind of becoming a popular thing for bands to partner with a brewer and make something for the band.  We shall find out Monday.

Exactly what I thought.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1533 on: April 05, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
JP is really into whisky lately. High end stuff. Looks like a DT
brand of hooch in the works.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1534 on: April 05, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »
JP is really into whisky lately. High end stuff. Looks like a DT
brand of hooch in the works.
my guess would be some kind of Gin, seeing as the male protagonist of the piece talks to it.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1535 on: April 05, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »
Still loving this record. Has unfolded very nicely. Currently loving those two "rock" numbers in the middle - R137 and S2N. The former has many subtle and tasteful variations around those beefy riffs, all locked down with that pummeling swing . Mad.

Have gotten much more into MM this time around. He is precise in style, but has a rolling feel and, my word, just BATTERS those tubs.

:metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1536 on: April 05, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »
Just watched a decent quality vid of PBD...holy crap. They were
flawless and Mangini is super human. Unbelievable talent from
every member to play that song so spot on live. Stunning !!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1537 on: April 05, 2019, 04:50:21 PM »
Just watched a decent quality vid of PBD...holy crap. They were
flawless and Mangini is super human. Unbelievable talent from
every member to play that song so spot on live. Stunning !!!

Link?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #1538 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
YouTube search PBD in St. Paul MN. A little hard to hear the bass drum
but decent footage and sound.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: April 05, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Super pumped to see them Wednesday in Red Bank, very close to home. My friend and I are looking for tickets for NYC Friday, and I am on the edge about making the drive to Philly for Saturday but kind of dependent if I can get a ticket for NYC.  Although even if I do go to NJ and NYC, I may end up wanting to go to Philly too.