Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189152 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Excuse my stupidity but what is the ex aequo representing?
Thanks
No stupidity to be excused there. It's a latin expression roughly meaning that the two songs are equal. It's very common in Italian when referring to joint winners of competitions or tournaments. I didn't expect it to be unknown in English!

So basically, at this (admittedly early) point, I like those songs just the same.

Actually, having just re-listened to S2N, I think I should probably rank it higher than Viper King.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
The potential success of this album is not one bit surprising to me.  I think they were pretty clear in their goal to re-unite the fan base after they lost some poeple with TA.  Secluding themselves to do the writing, just like everything leading up to this made me think the potential was there for a top notch DT album.  So far, seems to be the case from reading here.  Looking forward to that back end of the album with PBD and ATE, I feel like those are going to be really fantastic tracks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
This kind of talk is just blowing my mind! I have only heard the singles...

You know, in a way, I almost feel like they have done themselves a disservice with the singles on the last few album cycles.  And I don't mean to be controversial by saying that.  What I mean is just that, while the singles have been "fine," they aren't by any means the songs that end up being favorites among the vast majority of fans.  So since we the fans get to hear what are often some of the "lesser" tracks on a given album first, it's almost like we have a hurdle to overcome in liking a new album when it comes out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Hope to get a D/T Forum design soon :coolio

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »
Excuse my stupidity but what is the ex aequo representing?
Thanks
No stupidity to be excused there. It's a latin expression roughly meaning that the two songs are equal. It's very common in Italian when referring to joint winners of competitions or tournaments. I didn't expect it to be unknown in English!

So basically, at this (admittedly early) point, I like those songs just the same.

Actually, having just re-listened to S2N, I think I should probably rank it higher than Viper King.

Much appreciated.  :coolio

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
2- Room 137

The song they never did something like before. Feels like experimental song with some heavy direction musically and vocally. At first listen it shows me that it's very hard song to get used to. I like it overall.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
I think I mentioned this earlier, but I love the new song titles. Very different feel from how Dream Theater songs are usually named. Little touches like that can subconsciously make an album feel more special or unique.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2019, 01:58:26 PM »
Why is this not on Spotify?  I no longer have the capability to play CDs! 

I know, first world problems. lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »
Why is this not on Spotify?  I no longer have the capability to play CDs! 

I know, first world problems. lol

You have to wait till midnight in your timezone

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
3- S2N

Wow, the intro! John Myung shines first and then JP and JR take the lead. Quite different song considering their discography. It's like ripped off of Illumination Theory and Octavarium but improved in every aspect. The outro sounds like from ToT. I kinda find it strange this vocal style they used but it doesn't bother at all, it fits.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
I can’t wait to hear this. I’m on holiday in France this week. Wi-fi is practically non-existent and mobile data coverage is poor. It might be Saturday night when I get home that I’m able to listen to it fully, and it’s killing me!  ;D
We (the French fan club) are having a release party tomorrow in Paris, so if you're around, come and say hi! 7PM at Dr Feelgood les Halles (near the museum of modern art Pompidou). The entire album, good beer, good food and some great stuff to be won (the album, some fan club CDs and guitar picks)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
I can’t wait to hear this. I’m on holiday in France this week. Wi-fi is practically non-existent and mobile data coverage is poor. It might be Saturday night when I get home that I’m able to listen to it fully, and it’s killing me!  ;D
We (the French fan club) are having a release party tomorrow in Paris, so if you're around, come and say hi! 7PM at Dr Feelgood les Halles (near the museum of modern art Pompidou). The entire album, good beer, good food and some great stuff to be won (the album, some fan club CDs and guitar picks)
Damn, too bad I live in the most remote corner of France  :-[ (I am not even any good with French). I would have loved a listening party!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
So, my pre-order came early. I just got done with my first listen.

Just so everyone knows, I haven’t read anyone else’s posts on this thread because I didn’t want what I have to say to be influenced by anyone else’s thoughts or opinions at this stage. I just wanted to share my raw feelings about this album with you all right now.
So, without further ado…

OH…MY…GOD!!!  :omg: WHAT AN INCREDIBLE ALBUM!  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy

Holy shit... I have not enjoyed any album, let alone a DT album, so much on first listen for a very, very long time. Possibly ever. It took me to places I was not expecting to go.

As the album unfolded, I couldn’t help but smile, and burst out laughing, and at one particular point, I burst into uncontrollable tears of joy. My mouth is still hurting from smiling so much right now.

Why? Because THIS is the band I fell in love with 15 years ago. A band that can transport me to all these different places, nearly everything I could possibly want to hear in my music. And after having not been particularly crazy about the majority of their output since Portnoy left the band all those years ago, I was not expecting to feel this way again about their music.

Just so that you guys know where I’m coming from, I was in the camp that absolutely loved the Astonishing because concept albums, music that tells a story, are something that really appeal to me. And also, I just loved the fact that they were bold enough to make such an album when they knew full well it was not likely to be loved universally, even within the existing fanbase. I love this band so much that I’ve always just wanted them to make the music they want to make, not necessarily what they think we as fans want to hear - which I always felt was something they tried to do with ADToE, and where I felt that they were going with this album following the reception of the Astonishing. So for that reason, I had set my expectations pretty low for this one.

But as it happens, I now feel like I couldn’t have been more wrong.

I’ve been paying attention to what the guys have been saying in interviews, and I know all about how they stayed together in this studio over the summer and really bonded while making this album, which they haven’t done in years. I got the impression that the brotherhood between them was a core component to this album. I also remember reading, or hearing somewhere, that they wanted to make sure there was a “fun” element to this music. And those two things, I think, were absolutely key to making this album so much more enjoyable to me than any of theirs in recent memory. I can hear it in every single song. The five of them are all totally on the same page, making the music they want to make, and having an absolute blast playing it. It really comes through on this album, and I think it’s something that may have been missing (or at least, not quite as present) on most recent albums - for example, the Astonishing, due to the fact that it was entirely written by John and Jordan alone.

The album is definitely more concise than we have come to expect from a band that usually makes a point of filling up the entire disc. And as it turns out, that is no bad thing at all. It gets to the point, and yet none of the elements we would expect to hear from Dream Theater music are missing. There are plenty of heavy moments. There’s a number of quiet moments. There’s a lot of epic moments. And, oh my god, plenty of crazy instrumentals.

Oh my god, the musicianship on this album. Even for a band of virtuosos, this is absolutely off the charts. I lost count of the number of times my mouth fell open, blown away by what I was hearing. Here we have a bunch of men in their 50’s, and one other in their 60’s, who have been playing this kind of technically challenging music for decades, and yet it feels like they’ve lost absolutely none of their enthusiasm, creativity, energy or precision. Rather, they seem to have reached a new level here that seems barely believable. I really am blown away by it.

So, what were the specific highlights for me? Well, considering I have only just listened to this album once I can't recall too many specifics, but a few of them are:

• The first two minutes of Barstool Warrior. This is one of the first moments of the album that really just made me smile, and feel like the album was starting to take me on an interesting adventure. In fact, this song as a whole was really epic and I feel will probably be one of my favourites.
  • S2N - oh my god, JM’s bass riff kicks untold levels of ass. So according to interviews, this riff was the catalyst for several songs on the album, but only ended up becoming one of its own at the very end of the process. But wow, I can totally understand why the guys took it in so many different directions. This is a really, really fun song and if I recall, has an amazing instrumental section. I remember hearing a spoken voice quietly saying “wow…” before the final chorus - a moment which made me laugh out loud with joy as it, for me, totally captured the spirit of the album and how I was feeling at the time listening to it.
  • The outro of At Wit's End and the false ending - a nice, unexpected touch. 
  • Pale Blue Dot. Just... the whole thing. What an incredible rollercoaster of a song. It reminded me so much of why I first became really interested in this band - the incredible musicianship and the crazy time signature changes. I tried to keep up as best as I could while listening to it, trying to understand what time signature they were playing in and where the downbeat was, but after a while realising it’s completely futile, and again, just laughing a laughter of joy. And this was even BEFORE it got to the instrumental section. OH GOD, that instrumental section. You know how that passage near the beginning of Lost Not Forgotten is referred to as the “tickle” section, because it just kept on going and getting crazier and crazier? Well, this was very much like that - times half a dozen or so. When I listened to this moment, something quite phenomenal came over me. I have already mentioned that the music kept making me laugh a laughter of joy, but this section absolutely pushed me over the edge - and suddenly, there I was, laughing and crying uncontrollably. This song, this album was so much better, so much more enjoyable, and so much more fun than I have dared expect, or even imagine.
As an afterthought, that bonus track was - interesting. And really awesome. It was just a fun-ass song with really cool, groovy riffs and rhythms that I don't generally expect to hear in Dream Theater. But it fucking ruled. It almost make me wonder why they don't make more straight-ahead "rocking" tracks like this one!

I really was not expecting this much of an emotional experience, and it felt amazing. My all-time favourite band is back.

I'm still feeling the buzz right now and I got the end of the album about an hour ago.

If any of you guys enjoy this album a fraction as much as I did, then oh my god are you in for something really special.  :tup ;D :D

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
4- At Wit's End

Hands down, their best mid-epic since Trail Of Tears. Wow, what a journey. Everything is just perfect. Vocals are intense, James is the MVP second with JP. This is the guitar solo I'm looking for.  Not overplayed or soulless just it's what it's meant to be. I absolulety love the fading guitar solo in the end but still the outro is surprising. Not in a bad way!
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »
This kind of talk is just blowing my mind! I have only heard the singles...

You know, in a way, I almost feel like they have done themselves a disservice with the singles on the last few album cycles.  And I don't mean to be controversial by saying that.  What I mean is just that, while the singles have been "fine," they aren't by any means the songs that end up being favorites among the vast majority of fans.  So since we the fans get to hear what are often some of the "lesser" tracks on a given album first, it's almost like we have a hurdle to overcome in liking a new album when it comes out.

Just to add to my last post, I know exactly what you mean and I totally agree. I had already listened to all three of the singles of this album before I got the album today, and whilst I had quite liked what I heard for the most part, none of them really blew me away or got me particularly pumped for the album. But listening to the full album, start to finish, is something else.

To me, Dream Theater has always been about the full album's experience, rather than just one or two tracks. For that reason, I don't think the idea of "singles" really works for a band like this one. And I totally agree, in most cases the tracks that have been released from previous albums as "singles" have generally not been my favourite ones anyway.

Offline genome

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
I still think Paralyzed and FITL hold up with the rest of the album. It's only UA that I think is a weaker track (and yet, it's still a good song that would walk onto most albums since Systematic Chaos)

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
Why? Because THIS is the band I fell in love with 15 years ago.

Very well put. That's something I omitted to remark on few pages back in my review. As I was listening to that blistering four-song run I thought to myself "Where have you guys been all this time?"
It honestly feels like they just dropped through a wormhole in fabric of spacetime to when they were at their most creative.

An exhilirating ride, this album. I really hope it gets the commercial, artistic and media coverage recognition it deserves because it is so obvioys the guys put their heart and mind into this one.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:58:41 PM by CirclesSquared »

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
4- At Wit's End

Hands down, their best mid-epic since Trail Of Tears. Wow, what a journey. Everything is just perfect. Vocals are intense, James is the MVP second with JP. This is the guitar solo I'm looking for.  Not overplayed or soulless just it's what it's meant to be. I absolulety love the fading guitar solo in the end but still the outro is surprising. Not in a bad way!

This song is one of the pinnacles and defining moments of their career.

The musicianship, the execution, the subject matter, the emotional impact...the lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I feel like it's The Bigger Picture's overactive hyper cousin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online geeeemo

« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »
These reviews are taking my anticipation level to an extreme!! :o

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »

Disagree. I think At Wit's End is by far superior in every regard. The emotion is much more believable, at least to me. Not just from James, but from the entire band. The sound is warmer overall as well. I don't dislike TBP, but AWE is...well...awesome. Yeah, I did that.  :facepalm:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

Disagree. I think At Wit's End is by far superior in every regard. The emotion is much more believable, at least to me.

Seconded.

Also, unlike TBP, AWE is good.

(Sorry.)

Offline JRuless

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2019, 03:07:06 PM »
Hey guys, I didnt hear it yet (one hour counting), but is it this good as you say it is? Enjoying all the posts sofar...keep them coming!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »

Disagree. I think At Wit's End is by far superior in every regard. The emotion is much more believable, at least to me. Not just from James, but from the entire band.

So I do agree with what you say. I am one that feels like The Bigger Picture was a missed opportunity. I'm not the biggest fan of TBP, but AWE is what I envision TBP could or should have been.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
5- Out Of Reach

Some of you can be familiar with James' solo stuff "Smashed" from EoP. Mike's drumming is like coming from this song (funny Smashed has his drumming too.) Best ballad from Mangini's Era for sure. Through Her Eyes and Anna Lee are combined with modern sound and with a lovely piano ending.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2019, 03:24:50 PM »
Allow me some background exposition (and excuse my sometimes twisted english) from where I'm coming from, because DTF members are not exclusively known for their impeccable taste, but I can't take it from you, not having a short attention span. I mean it takes almost inhuman stamina to devour The Astonishing in one go.

A friend bought WD&DU and when he played it for me, I wasn't impressed. I'm a little audiophile and loved productions from Trevor Horn and obviously Mutt Lange. So the sound of WD&DU contributed to my lukewarm perception. I was forgetting about its existence fast and still sometimes make the mistake, when discussing DT, that I&W wasn't the band's debut.

That changed big time, the day I&W was released. It blew off my ass. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
We already had Kansas, Yes, King Crimson, but the merging of hair metal (I don't like the term, but I use it for communication simplification) with Prog was all new and stunning. Some bands like Queensryche or Winger hinted at it, but didn't fully realize it like DT did.

At the time of the release I was working as a merchandiser for a small german record label (Rockport / we had some
lesser known prog/rock acts like Peter Hammill or the mighty Rodgau Monotones on board). 
I was on tour with Peter Hammill with a camper for about 3 weeks. There was a lot of downtime between arriving at
the next city and setting up my stand and selling the products. 90% of that time I spent listening to I&W in the camper over and over while I was actively preventing the possibility to see through the windows from both sides and I didn't need curtains...if you catch my drift. 

At that point DT was 3rd of my most beloved bands. After Yes and Def Leppard. Awake came and I loved it too.
Not as much as I&W, but I couldn't hope for a better successor. In contrast to many DT fans, I thought F2I was the logical evolution by becoming more mature. Song is king and not a bitch to carry your awesome shredding, math and counting skills. I thought Peruvian Skies, Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears were great songs and I liked the rest, too. This should be the last time, imho, DT had a well rounded production. When they started to produce their albums by themselves, I thought it sounded good enough, but not great. They (or he) nailed the pressure part, but lacking a little brilliance. Sharpness. Openness. 

With every following album I became more jaded with DT. I belong to the minority, if there is any, who doesn't think
SfaM was their untouchable masterpiece, but I never was a big concept album guy anyway. Octavarium was the first
recording that left me cold. SC and BC&SL didn't do much more for me either. I liked them alright for 3 or 4 spins and moved on.

A Dramatic Turn of Events impressed me at first, but my enthusiasm faded fast, and only thinking of revisiting it,
fills me with dread like only The Astonishing can to an even greater degree.
Call me crazy, but I believe with persons you really love, there is an empathic, telepathic connection and I would like
to think sometimes I'm receiving vibes from a band being in the studio. This happened with DT this time again, so I
was looking forward to the new album with some excitement I haven't felt for the band in a long time.

I didn't listen to the 3 singles (yeah right) releases and red no reviews, because why should I spoil myself.
So here's my first time through impression:

The Astonishing felt like work. DoT is fun again.
Did the album leave me happy and satisfied like being rocked and begging for mercy ? Almost. Almost is quite an
achievement these days. Metal (progressive, classic or modern) bores me to shreds these days (I did enjoy the last
Priest though) and DT is still on top of their game.
It's still rewarding to follow DTs journey, as every album is the reaction to the previous one. Constant evolution.

I had to adjust to the production/mix/mastering. It sounded a bit muddy at first, but cranking it up improved the experience. At first I thought the voice is too low in the mix, but now I think they knew what they were doing. It's probably for the better. I don't like when James sings with a lot of breathing sounds (a.k.a. cheese) and maybe the mix does reduce it a bit. Just a hunch.
While the all around drum sound is an improvement, I still don't like the snare. Does not sound natural in my ears,
but that's a matter of taste. I leave a final verdict on the production quality remain open. Typing this, the guitar
jumped in my face. Alien style. Ok,ok...JP: Your guitar is still star of the show and the production might be the best
of the self produced era.

Untethered Angel: Not DT by numbers, but a very well written song. One of my early favorites.
Some folks wrote the chorus of Paralyzed is boring. I think it's working. Makes my head move.
Instantly fell in love with the solo of Barstool Warrior. Hell yes ! Probably my favorite moment of the album.
JP riffing all over the album. Yes ! Much desired after TA. 
Fall into the light. Does somebody else get a Megadeth vibe from the main riff ?

[zones out]

Viper King is a quality track and I do think it fits with the rest just fine. I'd put it at position 3 to loosen up (Winger
reference) the album flow a bit.

Strong album overall. I'd put it like this:

I&W>Awake>F2I>6DoIT>SfaM>[DoT]>ToT>BCaSL>DT>O>SC>ADToE>TA>WD&DU

I'm a chronic running order changer (if I care enough):

01 Untethered Angel         
02 Paralyzed
03 Viper King         
04 Barstool Warrior         
05 Fall Into the Light
06 Out of Reach         
07 Room 137
08 At Wit's End (cut@8.17)         
09 S2N
10 Pale Blue Dot

Happy honeymoon everybody.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:10:47 PM by Lepprador »

Offline gborland

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Eighty eight motherfucking minutes to go.  :metal
Graham Borland

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
OK, just finished my first listening :

Favorites on first listen : UA, S2N, At Wit's End (this one in particular is fabulous!).
The album seems dark and heavy, but not Awake-dark or ToT-heavy, it's something different. Will have to listen a lot more to get it I think. It's all good from S2N on (I include Viper King as well). Don't know what to think of the 4 songs from Paralyzed to Room 137 yet.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bill1971

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
Wow, I am really encouraged by all the positive feedback! Looking so forward to this. Due to shortage of time tonight, I may just skip to Pale Blue Dot.

Offline kiszol

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
I'm super hyped as well!
Seems like the album has a lot of great tracks, not only 1-2 standout ones.

Offline rab7

« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
Wow, I am really encouraged by all the positive feedback! Looking so forward to this. Due to shortage of time tonight, I may just skip to Pale Blue Dot.

From what I'm reading, you should go to At Wit's End if you're pressed for time.

Some have felt let down by their high expectations of PBD, but acknowledge the awesome (albeit disjointed) riffs. Additionally, AWE was the first song written for the album, so it's probably the freshest sounding one. Like, "we've been touring The Astonishing and I&W for the last 2 years. Here's all our pent up musical ideas that we've been wanting to write"

Offline skcubs

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2019, 04:07:48 PM »
Very enjoyable album actually. Not going to fawn over it like is comon with a lot of people on every dt release.

But all in all a really good album that will get many listens from me.

Offline Tomasoares

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
I'll be honest, this is my favorite album from them, even considering the classic ones, and it has been for a good while that I haven't been enjoying listening to a new album THAT much. (I think last time was when Deadwing was released back in 2005 - !)

Still, I'm never was really a fan of DT. I've discovered them during the 6 Degrees era and listened a lot the Awake and Image and Words album, which I still love. But DT never really was my cup of tea, the technical stuff were kinda so-so and there was way too much cheesy stuff especially on their later albums, mainly the chorus melodies and harmonies. It has been only recently that I decided to revisit them (especially due to the new album announcement) and I just decided to listen to the older stuff and have some fun, regardless of how much technical non-sense stuff there was in some of their songs and the cheesiness of some melodies and lyrics. I think Octavarium was the last album of them that I've actually enjoyed, bar ADToE, and the new singles released didn't do much to me, except Paralyzed which hooked me early on, so my expectations were "hey, another DT album with the same stuff".

But then when I started listening to the whole thing, and Barstool Soldier intro started, it was an instant kick in my face, holy hell, this shit is awesome, and then the whole album clicked on me. I even enjoy now all the singles. The mixing of the album is a bit too loud for my tastes, but fuck, everything here sounds awesome and everything has its own place. There are power and energy in the songs, the amount of "filler" has been replaced by more mature songwriting and everything is so tightly placed together. The album is really heavy, thanks to the lower keys and the guitar sounds beautiful and killer. Ruddess decided this time to focus on more tradition keyboards tones, such as Hammond organ and pianos and, hell, he never sounded so good. The bass also feels big and very present, even with the heavy djent-like guitar. JLB also is awesome singing some really memorable melodies.

The album has some sort of dark-blue vibe that really makes this different from the previous recent albums. I also love the mixing on ADToE (which is tighter) but this feels big and impactful, especially the last two releases that disappointed a lot in that regarding, and then SC and BC&SL which didn't offer anything new compared to their previous efforts.

As a (mediocre) keyboardist player whose prefers atmosphere, feeling and groovy above complexity, they have really succeeded and surpassed themselves, making a technical album but that is above anything full of soul and heart. Song Ranking:

1 - S2N: The most rocking outro from Dream Theater.
2 - Barstool Warrior: Awesome intro, awesome song.
3 - Paralyzed: Best short song from them, awesome intro too.
4 - At Wit's End: Another amazing outro.
5 - Pale Blue Dot: Didn't enjoy much at first, but it has grown on me a lot
6 - Room 137: Very different and heavy, awesome guitar work.
7 - Fall Into the Light
8 - Viper King: One of the most fun tracks and very different from previous DT work
9 - Out of Reach: Really beautiful ballad without the cheesiness of Wither or Forsaken
10 - Unthered Angel: The most typical DT track, but still better than any single I remember since SC.

Album ranking:

S tier: DoT, Awake, 6D, I&W, SFOM
A tier: ToT, Octavarium, ADToE
B tier: FII, BC&SL
C tier: SC, self-titled, TA

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »

Disagree. I think At Wit's End is by far superior in every regard. The emotion is much more believable, at least to me. Not just from James, but from the entire band.
The Bigger Picture is one of my favorite DT songs!

So I do agree with what you say. I am one that feels like The Bigger Picture was a missed opportunity. I'm not the biggest fan of TBP, but AWE is what I envision TBP could or should have been.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
How 'bout a countdown for the new background skins for the DTF site???  :metal