Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189073 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1295 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
How can I listen to the Neal morse album?  On Apple Music only a few songs seem to be available and I can’t seem to find it on YouTube in its entirety

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1296 on: March 07, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »
How can I listen to the Neal morse album?  On Apple Music only a few songs seem to be available and I can’t seem to find it on YouTube in its entirety

Buy it.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1297 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
The hard copy is the only way to listen?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
It is available on iTunes as well. I just looked.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1299 on: March 07, 2019, 08:54:20 PM »
got it thanks!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1300 on: March 07, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
Exactly. 

As for the new DT vs the new NMB, while I am as big a fan of Neal and the Neal Morse Band as anybody here, I am taking Distance over Time over The Great Adventure.  The Great Adventure is a good record, but Distance over Time is just better to my ears.  I joked to a few people that after Haken and NMB gave us good but underwhelming albums this winter, it was up to Dream Theater to save the prog season...and they did. :metal :metal

I won't disagree, but I think I only would feel that way because of how TGA and d/t are follow-ups of two very different albums that seemed to be on polar ends of how they were received three years ago. On the DT hand, The Astonishing was received with mix reception and has garnered less-than-favorable views since release, where as on the NMB hand, The Similitude Of A Dream was almost universally praised by Neal-fans and prog-fans alike, and it still holds up today.

Following TSOAD was always going to be a tough battle, and for many TGA falls just short of TSOAD, and though many still seem to enjoy it as much, they still hold TSOAD above it. With The Astonishing, many fans' expectations were lowered to the point that anything the band could do might not be worse than TA, so when d/t came out blazing, many fans found renewed faith in the band. Personally speaking, I hadn't really listened to Dream Theater in the last couple of years - TA sort of ruined the momentum of the band for me, so I hadn't really cycled them through my listening as the months and years went by, but d/t has renewed my interest in listening to my second favorite band again! Distance Over Time has been one of their best albums in years, and many fans who have distanced themselves from the band have come back and embraced the new album, which is pretty amazing.

As for where I'm going with all of this, I'd say that by comparison, d/t had a lot going for it where as TGA had a lot to live up to, so fans of both might see d/t as a better album because it surpassed expectations where as TGA might have barely reached them.

As for MP's part in the NMB, he definitely still has a huge hand in arranging and re-arranging the various members' demos, but in the case of TGA, it's a bit more unclear how much his arranging survived the initial sessions, since Neal pretty much chopped up the album and rearranged it into the sequel to TSOAD that we now know. The Making Of documentary wasn't very clear on how much work survived Neal's slices and dices before they recorded the final album, but Mike definitely keeps track of arranging demos and jams, which has always been a strength of his in many of his bands. He has a very "big picture" mentality that helps see an album come together, where as Neal is very song oriented and has strong melodic senses that really propel the individual songs to catchy heights. I haven't spun TGA in awhile, but I remember enjoying a LOT of the individual songs and choruses, Neal is very good at that. With d/t, I've been having a harder time latching on to vocal melodies, but they are slowly settling in as I listen to the album more and more. It's definitely a slow-burn kind of album for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1301 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:53 PM »

Buy it.
👏bravo bravo!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: March 07, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
I loved The Astonishing to bits and have Train of Thought much lower in the discography so I knew that Distance Over Time  would probably not have the same staying power as TA.

It did not help either that I got O.R.k Ramagehead at the same time. That is an album I find myself wanting to listen to D/T  not so much.

I mean it's good.... Dream Theater are always good to me, but it's not great.

I also don't really remember anything from the album after a couple of listens.... it's just there. A few awesome spots but not one awesome song to me.

As for comparisons to The Neal Morse Bands The Great Adventure.... loved TSOAD and hold TGA almost as high but much, much higher than D/T.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1303 on: March 08, 2019, 01:44:46 AM »

Neal has actually started his own streaming service with all his stuff on it. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head but it won’t be hard to find out.

TGA is another incredible album in a long line of incredible albums stretching back to Spock’s Beard. Mike’s drumming is great on the album as it always is. As others have said, it’s the same box of tricks he’s used for years but it works and sometimes familiarity is not a bad thing. I just took umbridge at the suggestion or maybe hint that he was in some way responsible for Neal Morse having more memorable and effective melodies when he is likely to have had little or no involvement in coming up with them. Neal has been putting similar stuff out since the beginning of Spock’s Beard when NDV was on drums. His stuff though is not metal and is therefore very different to Dream Theater. I think most DT fans would have an even bigger meltdown than they did over The Astonishing if they did an album with a similar production to NMB.

I do agree with Stadler in that I prefer JP in Alex Lifeson mode to modern sludgy metal mode but there is a decent mix of the two here. The album is excellent and growing all the time. I am away on holiday so haven’t had a chance to sit down with the physical album and listen along with the lyrics and I think that’s hampered me a bit as I kept losing concentration and drifting off in the songs. It took me nearly two weeks to finally get through Pake Blue Dot without drifting off and Im now beginning to appreciate that song a lot more. There’s no song I skip at the moment but Im not sure how long FITL will stay in rotation. I’ve also deleted Viper King from my iTunes version as it just doesn’t fit for me. It will be on the cd when I finally get home in two weeks to get my art book edition but not my phone.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1304 on: March 08, 2019, 02:02:42 AM »
Continuing this side-discussion, I never really liked Transatlatntic and Neal Morse. Probably haven't heard more than 3 songs from him over the years. I checked out some songs from TGA and I really liked I Got To Run and Welcome To The World. I might go back and check his discography and even relisten to TA as my musical tastes have expanded since then.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1305 on: March 08, 2019, 02:22:57 AM »
I think his streaming thing is called waterfall streaming or something like that. As far as I am aware, all his stuff is on there including Transatlantic so this may be a cost effective way of investigating his discography further.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1306 on: March 08, 2019, 04:22:01 AM »
I just commented in the Neal Morse thread that it's a tie game between D/T and TGA for me, but if we add Haken to the equation, Vector is the winner. I know, I'm surprised too.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1307 on: March 08, 2019, 06:26:27 AM »
I just commented in the Neal Morse thread that it's a tie game between D/T and TGA for me, but if we add Haken to the equation, Vector is the winner. I know, I'm surprised too.
Wow really??  I guess I'll have to order Vector,  the only Haken album I own is The Mountian. I like it, but not near as much as d/t or TGA..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1308 on: March 08, 2019, 06:33:09 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1309 on: March 08, 2019, 06:37:28 AM »
I loved The Astonishing to bits and have Train of Thought much lower in the discography so I knew that Distance Over Time  would probably not have the same staying power as TA.

It did not help either that I got O.R.k Ramagehead at the same time. That is an album I find myself wanting to listen to D/T  not so much.

I mean it's good.... Dream Theater are always good to me, but it's not great.

I also don't really remember anything from the album after a couple of listens.... it's just there. A few awesome spots but not one awesome song to me.

As for comparisons to The Neal Morse Bands The Great Adventure.... loved TSOAD and hold TGA almost as high but much, much higher than D/T.

I don't get this post... what does TOT have to do with D/T?    I don't see any of that stale NU metal sound on D/T. 

I am someone who gravitates towards the 90's DT and prog sound VS the modern metal sound and I am loving this new album.  I also loved TA.

Did you like Awake?  I think that would be a better judge IMO.   

D/T has SOOO many warm emotional melodic moments to accompany the heavy.... it reminds me more of classic DT than TOT.  The only time I get a TOT or SC vibe is the chorus of Pale Blue Dot but even that has grown on me.

Barstool Warrior,  At Wits End, Out of Reach, Viper King,   I can't even find an ounce of modern metal sound.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:38 AM »
The intro to At Wits End feels very modern metal to me.  Actually a lot of this album sounds like modern metal compared to previous DT albums, I think that's why I like it so much, feels like a more fresh metal style for DT (Untethered Angel sounds more like your typical DT metal song and not so modern).

And wtf with the nu metal reference, I can't think of anything DT have done that would be nu metal or similar. 

The references to ToT are likely due to the heaviness of that album and DoT

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1311 on: March 08, 2019, 07:42:33 AM »
Wow really??  I guess I'll have to order Vector,  the only Haken album I own is The Mountian. I like it, but not near as much as d/t or TGA..

Vector is the worst Haken album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1312 on: March 08, 2019, 07:48:49 AM »
Track by track - Pale Blue Dot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Faxc8EUWUk

Fixed your link, as it starts 311 seconds in.

Great insight into the song here! Gotta love how they purposely arranged the chaotic middle section!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1313 on: March 08, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »

Great insight into the song here! Gotta love how they purposely arranged the chaotic middle section!

-Marc.

Yeah, great video, the best in terms of insights on the songwriting.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1314 on: March 08, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
The intro to At Wits End feels very modern metal to me.  Actually a lot of this album sounds like modern metal compared to previous DT albums, I think that's why I like it so much, feels like a more fresh metal style for DT (Untethered Angel sounds more like your typical DT metal song and not so modern).

And wtf with the nu metal reference, I can't think of anything DT have done that would be nu metal or similar. 

The references to ToT are likely due to the heaviness of that album and DoT

TOT was definitely influenced by NU metal.... same time as disturbed and all that junk and the production is not warm at all.   It's emotionless.  I still like the album because I think it's well written but it's not my favorite DT style at all.

FITL has a very retro metal metallica feel,   I don't think AWE sounds like modern metal at all..... the versus actually remind me of I&W a little.   

It's funny because to me UA is the one that sounds the most like modern DT metal to me which is why it's my least favorite song on the album (still good though).

Room 137 reminds me of something that would be on an 80's Alice Cooper album.     

S2N is like a mix of SDOIT/FII with maybe a little TOT sprinkled in.   

To me production is so key and this album doesn't sound anything like TOT or SC to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: March 08, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »

Agreed, and not nearly as good as Distance over Time or The Great Adventure. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: March 08, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Plus it was released in October, so it's technically a 2018 album ;)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1317 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
D/T has SOOO many warm emotional melodic moments to accompany the heavy....

This is perhaps the most concise description of the overall feel of d/t.  I LOVE this quote!  Perfect!

TOT was definitely influenced by NU metal....

And on the other hand, this completely confuses me.  I have no idea how anyone could hear nu metal in TOT.  And I'm not slamming nu metal at all (although it isn't a part of the metal genre I have ever gravitated toward).  But I have never heard any such influences.  At all.

Agreed.  I listened to Vector so many times trying to latch onto something positive.  But I just came away from it feeling like it was awful.  Sorry, Haken fans.  It just didn't work for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1318 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »

-Marc.

Is that why? I was wondering if someone was in my you tube account and started watching it. Thanks for saying that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1319 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

-Marc.

Is that why? I was wondering if someone was in my you tube account and started watching it. Thanks for saying that.

Yes. They must have copied the link from their desktop and didn't click-off the "From Current Time" option, because the link ends with "&t=311s", denoting the timestamp at which the video will start playing, in this case, 311 seconds (5:11) into the video.

-Marc.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1320 on: March 08, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
D/T has SOOO many warm emotional melodic moments to accompany the heavy....

This is perhaps the most concise description of the overall feel of d/t.  I LOVE this quote!  Perfect!

TOT was definitely influenced by NU metal....

And on the other hand, this completely confuses me.  I have no idea how anyone could hear nu metal in TOT.  And I'm not slamming nu metal at all (although it isn't a part of the metal genre I have ever gravitated toward).  But I have never heard any such influences.  At all.

Agreed.  I listened to Vector so many times trying to latch onto something positive.  But I just came away from it feeling like it was awful.  Sorry, Haken fans.  It just didn't work for me.

ha so I was 1/2 :).    Maybe NU metal is the wrong description.... it was just a very modern metal sound at the time.  It did not have the hair metal vibe AT ALL.  It did have some Metallica but the production was not 80's or 90's sounding at all.

So I guess the production of it just sounded modern to me and that is right when NU metal was popular.   Even the melodic sections like the versus of Eternal Sacrifice don't have a warmth to them that D/T production has. 

I am passionate about music but incredibly laymens on engineering/mastering etc... so it's tough for me to articulate sometimes.  Hopefully the above made sense.         

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1321 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm following you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1322 on: March 08, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
I think I've settled down a bit on the new album. While it is solid, maybe the best Mangini era album, probably at least tied with ADTOE, it is still middle of the road for DT. Yes, they're 14 albums in, over 30+ years, but after two stale/bloated albums this one had to be great. In light of that, looking back at the last 4 albums, I can't help but feel something is missing, like taking Jon Fishman out of Phish, or Lars out of Metallica, or even a non-founding member like Neil Peart out of Rush, etc... you can't imagine it any other way, I'm not even the biggest fan of Rush's later material but I couldn't imagine them without Peart. Yes, I like DOT, but after almost 2 weeks with the album, I'm already over it. Same thing with the last 3 albums, maybe a little more time with ADTOE. I'm still going to revisit these albums, of course, I just mean the lust is over and I'm back to wishing MP was back. Even with the later albums with MP I'd still gush over them for months, especially Black Clouds. I'd gladly have DT take a chance with a new singer if it meant MP came back. I'm over the 'JLB is the voice of the band' narrative. I'm fine listening to Ozzy or Dio, Paul or Bruce, Roth or Hagar, etc... being as that's what seems to be the issue of MP ever coming back. I'm not even knocking Mike Mangini, he's a fine drummer, I might not be into his style as much as many other drummers out there metal or otherwise, but he does a fine job with the material he's given, but I miss the groove in DT's music that I don't think MM has. I've said elsewhere, MM is a metal drummer first, and I'm not a fan of the 'sound' of the drums on any of the albums he's been on, even DOT.

tl;dr I think the band shines more when there is pressure to put on a good album (ADTOE, DOT) but if those 2 albums are as good as it's going to get, well I guess that makes me a semi-casual DT fan, sad to say. If they changed their name after MP left I probably wouldn't be as critical. To me, MP is the DT drummer like Peart is the Rush drummer, and these last 4 albums have been a side project under the DT banner.

Have to agree with this. While there were flashes of brilliance, I didn't think a lot of it was very good (haven't listened to it since the time it came out)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1323 on: March 08, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
I think the 7 string chugging riffs is what might compel some to associate it with nu-metal, but as a whole, nothing about "Train of Thought" resembles nu-metal to me. Not in the least.

The intro to At Wits End feels very modern metal to me.  Actually a lot of this album sounds like modern metal compared to previous DT albums, I think that's why I like it so much, feels like a more fresh metal style

I agree. It's why I've been so drawn to this album, as well. They desperately needed to make this transition, and I'm so glad they did. I know a lot of people who were beginning to think of them as a nostalgia act.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1324 on: March 08, 2019, 01:54:04 PM »
I think the more contemporary metal influences on ToT mostly show up in some tracks where JLB is rapping over more percussive grooves, like on TDS or HTF. Obviously I wouldn't call the album nu metal by any stretch, but the connection is there in small bits and pieces.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1325 on: March 08, 2019, 04:19:59 PM »
CRAP!   I thought I had pre-ordered the boxed set through Amazon, but apparently I pre-ordered the vinyl only.   

Really disappointed, but I *did* want the vinyl anyway.   Just thought I would be getting it as a part of the whole boxed set package, and now I only have it as a stand-alone.    Really pissed at myself for not just pre-ordering from the official website before they sold out.    >:( :censored
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #1326 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1327 on: March 08, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
Amazon still has the box set to be ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KLTV9J4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.  I ordered it.   I just feel a little silly for ordering the wrong thing.  I guess I will see if they will let me return this stand-alone vinyl.   But I don't want to even attempt that until I have the boxed set in hand. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1328 on: March 08, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I know for some things, there is a limited time you can return it.  I would advise calling them and requesting the return.  If it works the same as the last return I did, they will almost immediately email you a return label to print and stick on the package to return it.  But then you can just hold off until you get the box set.  By doing it that way, you've locked in your eligibility to return it, and then it's up to you to either follow through on the return or keep it.

That's my two cents.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1329 on: March 08, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
I know for some things, there is a limited time you can return it.  I would advise calling them and requesting the return.  If it works the same as the last return I did, they will almost immediately email you a return label to print and stick on the package to return it.  But then you can just hold off until you get the box set.  By doing it that way, you've locked in your eligibility to return it, and then it's up to you to either follow through on the return or keep it.

That's my two cents.

Good advice.