Author Topic: Surrender to reason lyrical analysis  (Read 828 times)

Offline Drinktheater

Surrender to reason lyrical analysis
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »
Does this song talk about destiny and accepting it?

Like JM is saying that there is a reason for everything and that one must surrender to that reason and accept their faith?

There is also a stanza talking about love and altering the state of mind? Is he implying that when feel your going to fall in love is that you don't fight it and surrender to it?

And one more thing I know the Illumination theory is entirely a different song but it seems it is also quoting StR in away during the 5th and final movement "surrender trust & passion"

In moments of pain
Where heart and mind collide
Self reflection helps me decide
I believe the sacrifices in life
Give more than they take

Visions flowing slowly shedding light
Memories swimming in the sea of time
Pieces to the puzzle falling into place
That with which we struggle through we’ve learned to embrace

Love show the way, alter my state of mind
Wash away the sorrow
Grace lead the way
When boundaries are found
Surrender to reason

Life gives you brighter days
Through sacrifices made
My spirit travels like the wind and waves
My heart and mind unite
Mistakes resolved give sight
The river’s currents slowly turns the stone

Restless angels
Help me find my way
Restless angels
Help me find my strength
Restless angels
Help me find my way
Restless angels
Let love show the way
Let grace be the way
Surrender to reason
And she listens openly

Offline Air Weaver

Re: Surrender to reason lyrical analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
I love this album and this track particularly, so I will go ahead and get into this conversation.

I don't think that StR is about destiny at all, quite the opposite. The phrase that precedes it is "when boundaries are found." I find this song to be a nice corrective to the often silly over-the-top lyrics in all kinds of music that promote the idea of anything is possible, just dream it and it will happen, etc. That's the kind of thing that puts too much stock in "Destiny." I suppose you could argue that a typical understanding of destiny is this idea that if something is meant to be, it will be, if not meant to be, it won't happen. I don't subscribe to that. But I do admit it is very popular. I don't like it because it is fatalistic, and goes against the usually complementary idea of working hard to strive and achieve. So if destiny has predetermined things, then what is work and preparation for?

I listened to this album nearly every day while going through a personal transformation, one where I had grandiose visions of what this change would mean. It didn't take me long to see that those visions were just that: grandiose, and not rooted in a realistic expectation of what payoff could be expected from the investment I was putting in. For me, "surrender to reason" became a helpful expression of staying grounded, and not expecting life to simply go by the whims of fate, destiny, or some universe-directing-things fancy. I found my boundaries, my limitations, and I surrendered to reason: to the reality that for now, this was as far as I would or could go.

So for me, the invoking of Grace in those lead up lyrics is more about being willing to take chances, to experiment and be a risk taker. Gracefulness in the face of that means it's ok to fail, or if fail is too strong a concept, then how about it's ok to fall short? That's finding the boundary, the limitation.

It doesn't mean that you still get everything you want at the end of it because of fate. But that doesn't mean the road is over, it might be just the reality check needed to re-assess how to go at your goal again and redefine the boundary for the next time around.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »
I think it's simply about controlling your emotions and making rational decisions when facing difficulties or having to do grunt work (read "sacrifice") to achieve something else in your life. For example if you have ever been in that position where you have put a ton of work into something, at some point you might feel like quitting but if you think about it rationally you might just have to suck it up and get on with it. Basically the tl;dr version is "no pain, no gain". If you've been there you know how it feels and can probably relate to the lyrics more easily.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »
I love this album and this track particularly, so I will go ahead and get into this conversation.

I don't think that StR is about destiny at all, quite the opposite. The phrase that precedes it is "when boundaries are found." I find this song to be a nice corrective to the often silly over-the-top lyrics in all kinds of music that promote the idea of anything is possible, just dream it and it will happen, etc. That's the kind of thing that puts too much stock in "Destiny." I suppose you could argue that a typical understanding of destiny is this idea that if something is meant to be, it will be, if not meant to be, it won't happen. I don't subscribe to that. But I do admit it is very popular. I don't like it because it is fatalistic, and goes against the usually complementary idea of working hard to strive and achieve. So if destiny has predetermined things, then what is work and preparation for?

I listened to this album nearly every day while going through a personal transformation, one where I had grandiose visions of what this change would mean. It didn't take me long to see that those visions were just that: grandiose, and not rooted in a realistic expectation of what payoff could be expected from the investment I was putting in. For me, "surrender to reason" became a helpful expression of staying grounded, and not expecting life to simply go by the whims of fate, destiny, or some universe-directing-things fancy. I found my boundaries, my limitations, and I surrendered to reason: to the reality that for now, this was as far as I would or could go.

So for me, the invoking of Grace in those lead up lyrics is more about being willing to take chances, to experiment and be a risk taker. Gracefulness in the face of that means it's ok to fail, or if fail is too strong a concept, then how about it's ok to fall short? That's finding the boundary, the limitation.

It doesn't mean that you still get everything you want at the end of it because of fate. But that doesn't mean the road is over, it might be just the reality check needed to re-assess how to go at your goal again and redefine the boundary for the next time around.

Hi

Thank you for your reply

hmmn funny I am currently listening to the song right now.  Yeah I get your drift 100% and I am not a big fan of the predestination thing and all that.  And I don't think Myung is one of those people too who believe in fatalistic cheap cliches like "destiny". 

I think what he meant is when people search for the deeper spiritual "reasons" one must not stop at just finding and discovering it but one must commit to it and in a way accepting it (surrender) offcourse there will be hard-work involve things are not going to move on their own.

But I also have a more kinda pre destination esque feel about it. Because lets face it there are some aspects in our lives that we can't control no matter how hard we try sometimes things don't work well and then life gives us another avenue to pursue but we just stubbornly try to do what we want even if we just fail again hence not seeing the other opportunity that is before us.

The stanza where it says "love show the way" this part is kind unclear to me right now maybe tomorrow I will try to make some personal analysis and what I think Myung is saying I am just to sleepy right now.

I am just in the phase of my life now that I think I must "Surrender to reason"

And she listens openly

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »
My take is this is a song about Stoicism.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »
I just spent the last two years helping my teen son battle succefully through very bad/debilitating depression. It has given me more insights and learning with the therapy, researching, for us God, self-reflection, and me doing a bunch of observation. This song really came to life for me afterwards.

The first verse, I get that when you are in pain, struggling, if you turn your mind toward helping others and making sacrifces to help them, you gain positive feelings for yourself which, for the moment can give hope and positveness toward your own mind.

Next, if we spend time accepting our pain, go inward in reflection, the mind can help solve and learn from errors or bad judgement.

And with the chorus. Showing love, not necessarily romantic love, but the acting of being loving and kind to all, even in moments where we meet hate. Choosing grace, (unwarranted forgiveness) and love instead of anger, surrendering in this way for peace.

The next verse a repeat of the idea of the first.

Then some sort of prayer life.