Author Topic: Brand New Dream Theater Fan Needing Some Direction Please!  (Read 4355 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

Re: Brand New Dream Theater Fan Needing Some Direction Please!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Enjoy your Discovery! (Part III of 2112. Sorry.)

The only comment I have is what NOT to do. Dream Theater albums need to be heard as an entire entity, so please don't get the Greatest Hit(s) record thinking you'll hear a good cross-section of their material. Have fun, and let us know what you like and even what you don't like.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
Weird, I think I am the only one who recommended the Dream Theater self-titled but as per my actual experience, it's the album that I got the most new listeners to get into DT. The songs are short but does not lose the DT sound, and it does not have the 80s vibe anymore that some young listeners might not be receptivr to.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
Greatest Hit anyone?

Enjoy The Ride....

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
Whenever I get into a new band that has a lot of older albums, I start with the older stuff.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »
Don't overwhelm yourself, get one album in addition to the new album and spend about a month with it.
If you liked the new songs then I recommend A Dramatic Turn of Events, it show cases a bit of classic DT mixed with the sound you heard on the new tracks.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 11:43:50 PM »
Personally, when I want to delve into "new bands", I avoid live or compilation material.
But it can work for other folks.

I find that actually seeing them play the songs gets me way more involved and interested quickly... SEEING live stuff is great for me, but I wouldn't start off listening to live stuff.

For OP's request, if listening first is your first choice, I'd just say go with Distance Over Time, since that's what you like so far, and then I'd go Octavarium.

I'd save Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory for the next batch and then I'd venture into some live stuff and go with Breaking the Fourth Wall and SCORE before moving on to the rest of the albums.

The only comment I have is what NOT to do. Dream Theater albums need to be heard as an entire entity, so please don't get the Greatest Hit(s) record thinking you'll hear a good cross-section of their material.

Uh, no they don't need to be heard as an entire entity, and going for The Greatest Hit is a also a nice choice and you WILL hear a good cross-section of their material.

It's not the tape-age or the record-age any longer where you pretty much have no choice *but* to listen to something in order.  Starting with CDs the "random" option became the status quo and it's now ubiquitous.

If people have the time to dedicate an hour to just sitting there listening then sure, go for it in order and in its entirety, but don't scare people or try and shame them into thinking a single track played out of order/context isn't cool, cuz it most certainly is cool and for many people who just don't have the time for music anymore it's essential to be able to grab a track and go with it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:50:44 PM by PetFish »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
Images, Awake, Scenes From A Memory, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. In that order. Then anything else. Skip When Dream And Day Unite. 😆
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 12:19:40 AM »
I’d honestly pick up the new album Distance over Time on Friday first of you like what you’ve already heard and spend some time with that. I would then actually recommend Scenes From A Memory and A Dramatic Turn of Events. They give a good cross section with a more modern sound. If you like those, then explore away - I&W is actually a little dated and I love Awake, but I still think those albums are a good start 👌

Offline Pettor

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 01:14:25 AM »
I think Scenes From a Memory seems to be a good fit if you like the new songs. It's one hell of a ride with some of the best fast, heavy, slow, epic music they ever done.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 05:24:28 AM »
I’d honestly pick up the new album Distance over Time on Friday first of you like what you’ve already heard and spend some time with that. I would then actually recommend Scenes From A Memory and A Dramatic Turn of Events. They give a good cross section with a more modern sound. If you like those, then explore away - I&W is actually a little dated and I love Awake, but I still think those albums are a good start 👌

I agree, I'd actually argue that I&W would turn off someone who's interest got sparked with the new singles.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
Pretty much ignore everything PetFish said and go with the other recommendations (Images, etc).  :tup

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »
As long as you're willing to not linger on first impressions, start wherever you want. Just don't rush them, 'cause they're albums so dense that it takes literally years to unearth all the details.

For a good sample of what this band (and its audience) is really capable of, though, I strongly suggest to sit through all (bonus scenes included) of the Metropolis 2000: Scenes from NY DVD.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 05:58:14 AM »
Trust me, Images and Words has not worked as a starter pack for kids raised to the last two decades' music in my experience. PMU and Metropolis is ok, but Another Day and LtL is just dated for them.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 06:49:14 AM »

I agree, I'd actually argue that I&W would turn off someone who's interest got sparked with the new singles.

Agree with this as well. I get that many love I&W but from D/T perspective it doesn't have to be the best choice.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
I would start with Images and then go through them all. People
s opinions are all over the place so I would start at the beginning.

My 1st Rush album was Power Windows and I highly doubt anyone would recommend that one and I fell in love and cheeked out every album from them. This was in 1987, for those taking notes.

Offline genome

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
Trust me, Images and Words has not worked as a starter pack for kids raised to the last two decades' music in my experience. PMU and Metropolis is ok, but Another Day and LtL is just dated for them.

I agree with this a lot. Musically, it's a decent introduction, but the sound is so dated. I would start with the new album and either Scenes From a Memory or Six Degrees.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »
Images & Words
Awake
Scenes From a Memory
Distance Over Time

Do that. The top three are records most consider the band's classics and high-water mark. Then get the new one if you love those three. And if you love DoT, then expand from there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »
My (too late) advice would be to ignore everyone's advice and embark your very own personal journey of discovery :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
My (too late) advice would be to ignore everyone's advice and embark your very own personal journey of discovery :lol

That's what I like to do it as well, when I decided it was time to stop beign ignorant of Alice Cooper's discography (and he has 26 albums), I just read about the records on Wikipedia trying to guess which ones I could like the most, and started from there.

But of course there's nothing wrong in wanting to hear an "expert" voice before diving in  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Heh! You're right, of course ;D

Funny thing is, so many people recommending Images & Words but in my experience, that album can be quite the turn-off for new fans.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
Heh! You're right, of course ;D

Funny thing is, so many people recommending Images & Words but in my experience, that album can be quite the turn-off for new fans.

People who appreciate great music won’t be turned off.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »
Don't overwhelm yourself, get one album in addition to the new album and spend about a month with it.
If you liked the new songs then I recommend A Dramatic Turn of Events, it show cases a bit of classic DT mixed with the sound you heard on the new tracks.

Agreed!  ADTOE does not get a lot of love on this site.  I bet the new fan will love Breaking All Illusions.  My wife really liked BAI a lot and some of the songs on the self titled.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
If you notice, a Wide variety of recommendations! Which speaks to the music of DT! You are going to have your favorites as well, so don't be over-influenced by anything but what gets you going!
I have seen quite a bit of negative for example (not everyone for sure) about Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings as well as Falling into Infinity. To me they are fantastic as well. (some great covers on Black Clouds special edition btw).

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
Starting with A Dramatic Turn of Events would be a big mistake IMO.   It's personally my least favorite DT album but more than that its just clearly a LATER period album for a band that started 30 years ago.   It doesn't even include one of the key founding members of the band.  Not that all Mangini(The new drummer of the last 4 albums) albums should be DQ'd from listening, you should get there eventually, but that would just be a strange place to start a new fan interested in exploring the rich history of the band. 

The band became big because of Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory.   Start there alongside the new release so you can share in the excitement with everyone. 

That's my two cents.

Offline JLa

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
This thread made me put on SFAM again. It's been a while.  :heart

As for the recommendations, everyone has their own opinion and you've had heaps of suggestions already. I don't think it matters too much where you start, although I maybe wouldn't recommend starting with "The Astonishing" as it is quite different from the other albums.

Someone raised a very good point of taking your time with the albums, though. Keep that in mind. The music can seem to be all over the place upon the first few listens, the songs go on for ten minutes with long instrumental sections. Pick an album. Play it for a few weeks and let it sink in before you move on to another.

Have fun! I wish I could hear the "classics" with fresh ears, there's nothing like it.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
Starting with A Dramatic Turn of Events would be a big mistake IMO.   It's personally my least favorite DT album but more than that its just clearly a LATER period album for a band that started 30 years ago.  It doesn't even include one of the key founding members of the band.  Not that all Mangini(The new drummer of the last 4 albums) albums should be DQ'd from listening, you should get there eventually, but that would just be a strange place to start a new fan interested in exploring the rich history of the band. 

The band became big because of Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory.   Start there alongside the new release so you can share in the excitement with everyone. 

That's my two cents.

Kevin Moore isn't on that album??!!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
Starting with A Dramatic Turn of Events would be a big mistake IMO.   It's personally my least favorite DT album but more than that its just clearly a LATER period album for a band that started 30 years ago.  It doesn't even include one of the key founding members of the band.  Not that all Mangini(The new drummer of the last 4 albums) albums should be DQ'd from listening, you should get there eventually, but that would just be a strange place to start a new fan interested in exploring the rich history of the band. 

That's my two cents.

Kevin Moore isn't on that album??!!

Haha touche.... but Kevin Moore, although awesome, is not as big a part of their history as Portnoy.   Portnoy just has a huge presence and personality so I think it would be strange to START with Dream Theater after he left the band.   Not that the other albums aren't great and worthy to listen to.   

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
 I have the self titled and The Astonishing ranked ahead of any of the last 4 Portnoy albums.   I just wouldn't start there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
Not that all Mangini(The new drummer of the last 4 albums) albums should be DQ'd from listening, you should get there eventually, but that would just be a strange place to start a new fan interested in exploring the rich history of the band

Not if the person asking was first drawn to the band by listening to the most current album, which is the case here.  For that person, the newer albums are an ideal place to start.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
It's funny all the intricate discussion on how to get started.

Warning for the new fan.

A possible side effect of entering into DT world: You can end up like us.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »
Not that all Mangini(The new drummer of the last 4 albums) albums should be DQ'd from listening, you should get there eventually, but that would just be a strange place to start a new fan interested in exploring the rich history of the band

Not if the person asking was first drawn to the band by listening to the most current album, which is the case here.  For that person, the newer albums are an ideal place to start.
THIS!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »

Agree to disagree here... I love everything Dream Theater does but they are a bit past their prime.   That's not an insult just a fact of life.   People get older.     Why not start with the classics that made Dream Theater the mecca of music that they are today?   I suggested listening to the new album alongside the classics as well to enjoy the discussions with everyone. 

I think MOST of this fanbase does not have the Mangini era album's in their top 3.     If someone heard a Paul Mccartney song from Chaos and Creation and it peaked their interest in Paul Mccartney I wouldn't tell them to listen to all of his stuff from the 2000's..... I would tell him to listen to his early solo stuff and the Beatles.   

OR if somebody heard a great Maiden song from one of their newest albums I would tell them to check out Number of the Beast.. same thing maybe more applicable to this forum :)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
Here is my recommendation except obviously the newest album is about to come out so that may be a good starting point so you can experience it with the rest of the world.

Rank   Year   Title
1   1999   Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
2   2002   Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3   2009   Black Clouds & Silver Linings
4   1992   Images and Words
5   1997   Falling into Infinity
6   1994   Awake
7   2003   Train of Thought
8   2016   The Astonishing
9   2007   Systematic Chaos
10   1998   Once in a Livetime
11   1995   A Change of Seasons
12   2005   Octavarium
13   2007   Falling into Infinity Demo
14   2013   Dream Theater
15   1989   When Dream and Day Unite
16   2011   A Dramatic Turn of Events
?   2019   Distance over Time

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
Interesting take. Black Clouds & Silver Linings and Falling into Infinity are my bottom two DT albums, yet I still like them.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »

Agree to disagree here... I love everything Dream Theater does but they are a bit past their prime.   That's not an insult just a fact of life.   People get older.     Why not start with the classics that made Dream Theater the mecca of music that they are today?   I suggested listening to the new album alongside the classics as well to enjoy the discussions with everyone. 

I think MOST of this fanbase does not have the Mangini era album's in their top 3.     If someone heard a Paul Mccartney song from Chaos and Creation and it peaked their interest in Paul Mccartney I wouldn't tell them to listen to all of his stuff from the 2000's..... I would tell him to listen to his early solo stuff and the Beatles.   

OR if somebody heard a great Maiden song from one of their newest albums I would tell them to check out Number of the Beast.. same thing maybe more applicable to this forum

I get what you are saying.  And I'm not trying to change your opinion on current DT.  I'm just saying that I find your approach a bit strange.  If someone likes the sound of a particular song, I think it makes more sense to refer them to more stuff that sounds similar to what they like, instead of first referring them to something that sounds completely different.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."