Author Topic: Brand New Dream Theater Fan Needing Some Direction Please!  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Barley

Brand New Dream Theater Fan Needing Some Direction Please!
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
Hello all.  I recently discovered Dream Theater while listening to Eddie Trunk this week and his interview with John Petrucci.  He then played 2 new songs off of the upcoming album on a later show and I absolutely fell in love with them.  It made me want to go back and explore the Dream Theater back catalog, but I find it a bit daunting as they have 14 albums and I imagine each one is a deep listening experience (meaning it takes a while and many listens to fully process each album).  I was hoping to get some recommendations on where/how to begin my Dream Theater experience.  ;D 

Should I go back and start at the beginning and listen in chronological order?  Or is there a better place to start?  Any albums to avoid until later? Thanks for any recommendations or info!

Barley

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Brand New Dream Theater Fan Needing Some Direction Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:50:38 AM »
I'd buy the new album and their most classic album, Images And Words, together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
Since you liked the two new songs played in the radio show, listen to the Dream Theater self-titled. Then Images and Words. And then Metropolis Pt. 2. That will give you an odea of what the general Dream Theater sound is before  you explore the albums with variation from the sound. Listen on Spotify if you don't want to commit money for now.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
I agree, go for the classic albums. Start with Images and Words, then either pick the follow up, Awake (which is quite dark and heavy), or Scenes from a Memory which is an entire sequel of a song, Metropolis, off Images and Words.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erciccio

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
Lucky you :)

I agree with the suggestions above:

Distance Over Time
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory just to get a sense on a Dream Theater concept album

Than, if you love these ones (and you will) you can probably go in chronological order, but I would skip the 1st one (When Day and Dream Unite) due to the different singer and low quality production.

Another "warning" might be "The Astonishing", that is a prog-metal Opera and is indeed very different from the rest and very controversial for the fan base.
I really love it, but many fans "hate" it. Very little space for grey in the judgements.

Enjoy the ride! :)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
Images and Words is an amazing prog metal album but be prepared for the 80's hair metal vibe.  I love that but its off putting to some.   It's my #2 DT album and the album that got me into the band.

Scenes From a Memory is the pinnacle of DT IMO... its basically I&W with a more 90's sound.   It just an incredible album from start to finish.

I would hold off on anything after Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence until you have fully explored the other albums.   Their slight decline happened with Train of Thought IMO.   Still amazing but not quite GODS OF MUSIC amazing after Six Degrees.

Just one man's opinion although I think a majority would agree that they went in a slightly different direction after Six Degrees with a more metal vibe on Train of Thought.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »
Hello all.  I recently discovered Dream Theater while listening to Eddie Trunk this week and his interview with John Petrucci.  He then played 2 new songs off of the upcoming album on a later show and I absolutely fell in love with them.  It made me want to go back and explore the Dream Theater back catalog, but I find it a bit daunting as they have 14 albums and I imagine each one is a deep listening experience (meaning it takes a while and many listens to fully process each album).  I was hoping to get some recommendations on where/how to begin my Dream Theater experience.  ;D 

Should I go back and start at the beginning and listen in chronological order?  Or is there a better place to start?  Any albums to avoid until later? Thanks for any recommendations or info!

Barley

Welcome!

I like all of Dream Theater's albums personally but they are so vast and varied that you may dislike one but love another. I would listen to a more commercial release than something like Images and Words which is a masterpiece but you can tell that it is early 90's / late 80's material in many spots.

Images and Words is not the best album for a new fan..a lot of people mistakenly advise new fans to listen to this one first. It is too much for many people

I would go with something like Awake (shorter hard rock type of songs with great guitar) Octavarium (I have gotten a few people into Dream Theater with These Walls and Panic Attack), or Scenes from a Memory to hear something wild but still accessible.

The new album also may be a great place to start based on the reviews it sounds like it is accessible and of high quality.

Offline Barley

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 08:25:06 AM »
I'd buy the new album and their most classic album, Images And Words, together.

Thank you!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »
I usually say to start with Images and Words, Scenes From a Memory and Dramatic Turn of Events... but instead, I'm going to recommend that you check out the live album Breaking the Fourth Wall. Everyone is in top form on this one, the set list is great, and you can hear how good they really are since it's live.

Offline Barley

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!  New to the forum and not sure how this works really, but I wanted to say thanks.  I look forward to exploring some of these albums.  I think I'll start with the new one, Awake, Distance Over Time, and Images and Words.  Hair Metal vibes don't scare me!   :metal   ;D

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »
My first album was "Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes from a Memory", and is my favorite. Then I heard their hallmark album "Images and Words", followed by their heaviest, "Train of Thought". Then I believe it was the grungey and melancholic "Awake", then their heavy and orchestral "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". Then obviously the rest. (This was all during 2004-2005.)

Just giving an example of a listening regimen that worked on me  :smiley:

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!  New to the forum and not sure how this works really, but I wanted to say thanks.  I look forward to exploring some of these albums.  I think I'll start with the new one, Awake, Distance Over Time, and Images and Words.  Hair Metal vibes don't scare me!   :metal   ;D

Awesome!

Glad that hair metal vibes don;t scare you.  I love Images and Words but it could scare off some people.  If you are more into a modern sound they have plenty of albums that fill that role as well.  Scenes from a Memory is actually the sequel to Images and Words and is more accessible.   Get ready for a ride my friend. Their music is extremely varied throughout the years.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
Lots of good advice. I'd agree that the new release 'Distance Over Time' and the album that put them on the map 'Images and Words' are musts. The song 'A Change of Seasons' is great as well.

Then my personal recommendation would be 'Scenes from a Memory'.....'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence' (<<especially the first three songs) 'Awake' and the self titled 'Dream Theater'

After that....I'd think they're all great to explore

Another "warning" might be "The Astonishing", that is a prog-metal Opera and is indeed very different from the rest and very controversial for the fan base.

I would agree. Definitely 'get in to' Dream Theater and get an idea of them and who they are as a band before trying to tackle this album. A lot of good music....cool storytelling....BUT....it was and remains a divider of fans. Some utterly despise it....some outright love it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

How it works is now you are committed to returning to this thread and posting your thoughts as you experience each album for the first time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Barley

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »

Awesome!

Glad that hair metal vibes don;t scare you.  I love Images and Words but it could scare off some people.  If you are more into a modern sound they have plenty of albums that fill that role as well.  Scenes from a Memory is actually the sequel to Images and Words and is more accessible.   Get ready for a ride my friend. Their music is extremely varied throughout the years.

Will do! Thanks again to everyone. Very much appreciated and so cool that I got so many responses in such a short amount of time!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
Images and Words is a good starting point. One of the few things DT fanbase agrees on is that it's a classic. :lol It may sound a little dated, but songs are top notch.

Offline Barley

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »

How it works is now you are committed to returning to this thread and posting your thoughts as you experience each album for the first time.

Haha. Ok, that's a deal! I have Apple Music and all of the albums are there so I'll start my journey today. I'm going to start with Awake since the new one is not out until Friday.  I'll be back once I've listened a few times to share my thoughts and would love to hear everyone else's as well.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
I would go with Images and Words and then Octavarium.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
If you can afford to see them on the upcoming winter/spring tour, I would start with Distance Over Time (out this Friday) and Scenes From a Memory. They will be focusing on those two albums on the tour.

If you will not be seeing them on the tour, then I would still pick up D/T this Friday, just to see where they are today, and either go chronological starting with Images & Words (their 2nd album), or reverse chronological and get The Astonishing (their 13th album).

Everyone has their own opinion, but I've always liked getting into a band either from back to front, or front to back. With Rush I went from their self-titled and went forward until Clockwork Angels. With Genesis I started with Calling All Stations and worked my way back to From Genesis to Revelations. Both were fun journeys.

With DT, I think it makes the most sense to start with one of their best, I&W, and work your way up. It works out better because they tend to reuse ideas and hide nuggets and melodies in later albums (ie, Scenes From a Memory using a lot of "Metropolis" melodies from I&W, The 12-step suite from Six Degrees to Black Clouds, the Meta-Album from Scenes to Octavarium, etc). It makes more sense going forward in time than backward. I would also NOT discount When Dream and Day Unite (the debut album). I'd listen to that before you get too far into the discography. It's a lot different than what came after, but the songs are still fantastic if you can get by the production and vocals (I can, and I love it).

I'm excited for you to get into DT. It'll be a journey you'll remember.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
Starting in chronological order probably isn't the way to go. For one I'd recommend you skip the first album When Dream And Day Unite until you've got all or most of their other stuff (this album was before they got their current singer). Images And Words is a great album and a good definitive example of the "classic" Dream Theater era. But it is 27 years older than their current album, and it very much has a sound I'd associate more with the 80s than even the 90s. And while it is always a quick recommendation from Dream Theater fans, my thought is just because someone enjoys two of the most recent songs that doesn't necessarily mean they will be as immediately receptive to the sound of I&W. If you regularly listen to things like that and 80s metal vibe sounds right up your alley then it'd be a good starting point (and I'd recommend it as the first go to whenever you do want to get into the early era Dream Theater), but there are definitely great albums that are much more similar to their current sound.

For the closest sound to the newly released songs, the albums with current drummer Mike Mangini are the best bet. Of those I'd recommend A Dramatic Turn Of Events from 2011. This kicked off the Mangini era and also was considered a bit of a "return to their roots" for Dream Theater when they wanted to prove they still had all the elements that made them great after the change in the band. Whether you go for this or the self titled Dream Theater 2013, avoid The Astonishing unless you're looking for something with a very different approach and structure than every other Dream Theater album.

But for a best of both, rather than starting near the beginning and going chronologically or starting near the most recent, I'd pick an album nearer the middle, then go for either more recent or more classic from there depending on what you feel more drawn to first.  I'd recommend Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002) as a good album for this; Scenes For A Memory (1999) has been mentioned already which is a good one too, as long as you're fine to start with a full concept album with the lyrics all related to the same story, repeating musical themes, and some dialogue.

Also, I'd personally strongly recommend Train Of Thought (2003) if you are into heavier stuff. In my experience it has been one of the best at grabbing new fans of Dream Theater if they are not already big prog fans - without knowing more of your musical taste I have no idea if that's the case, but Train Of Thought is a good album to start with anyway as long as you're aware it's considered one of Dream Theater's heaviest / most metal albums.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
I am excited for you!!! I just discovered Dream Theater 3 years ago. I had heard Pull Me Under way back when and had always loved that song, but never had an album or heard them again. I just went to spotify first, because I wondered "Did Dream Theater have any more music ?"  :justjen  :rollin

Of course I opened Spotify and went Wow!.  I believed I started at their Greatest Hit album. I was coming from a love of metal (Metallica fan- but always there was something missing). I remember listening to Root of all Evil, Home and Sacrificed Sons and was blown away. I started skipping around the different albums (On the Backs of Angels was an early fave) - and it was hit and miss at first with what I liked. Some of the stuff takes a few listens,, and then boom!!

The Astonishing had just come out - so I bought it. I thought it was weird and not very metal - but then ( by then I was reading about them on the internet ) I saw that they were touring and playing the entire TA album. I hadn't been to a concert in 15 years (too busy with my kids) and they were teens by then so I went. I was even more blow away by the performance. Now I have seen Metallica, Rush, Styx, Ted Nugent, Jethro Tull and more, but this was like no concert I had ever seen. These guys were loving playing their music and my goodness! could they play (and James singing  :heart) Seeing John Petrucci's solo......And then of course, I was hooked on The Astonishing. I come home and told my hubby and son - if they come back on this tour, you Have to see them.  I did see The Astonishing twice more, did the VIP and for one had elbows on the stage!

I kept listeing to more of their stuff, realized they had another concept album, and bought Scenes from a Memory. Dude, I could not stop playing it - and the version of Home on their Greatest Hit album plays a shortened version, so it was really a treat and surprise to hear it in it's fullness!

You are going to like Dream Theater in a way unique to you. Some like the "proggy" stuff more. (what does that really mean?) I take it to be the 'lighter side" which I thought I liked less than their heavy side, but now I think that their heaviest stuff (at the moment) is not at the top. Some like the heavy stuff more. The beauty of Dream Theater is that everyone has different favorite songs and albums.  You will hear a lot on this forum about Images and Words. I love that album, but it is not my favorite - not even top 3. Some hate Falling into Infinity, but I really dig it!

So, enjoy the ride.  :metal. Be prepared to experience and addiction that is healthy!! (well, except for your ears lol!) I could not listen to any other band for at least 2 and a half years after - and even now, they are 80 % of what I listen to. My husband just shakes his head and says I am gone......

Thats right!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »
In my life in listening to music, there have only two albums in my life that I played non-stop on a daily basis for over six months: Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory. They are not my favorite DT albums though. Haven't revisited those in years.

-Classic albums: Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory
-Experimental albums: Six Degrees and The Astonishing
-Heavy/dark albums: Train of Thought , Awake, Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds
-Commercial sounding/classic prog rock: Falling into Infinity, Octavarium (to an extent)
-New DT lineup - Self titled or Dramatic Turn of Events. The Astonishing features the new lineup but I classified it on the experimental albums
-Quintessential DT song: A Change of Seasons
-Latest DT album: Distance over Time
-Very 1st DT album with original singer: When Dream and Day Unite

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:20:17 AM by goo-goo »

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
Barley, whatever you do... make sure to listen to Scenes From a Memory.   My second favorite album of all time behind London Calling of the Clash. 

Doesn't matter what order you listen to them but you left that out on your list of 4 so I just figured I would reiterate that' a must listen.   Rolling Stone also did a poll of best prog albums of all time and Scenes From a Memory won.   Obviously because of great fans like us :)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
Wow, a new fan! Welcome!

Always a fantastic time discovering DT. My turn was over 20 years ago, but I still remember.   :lol

They already gave you good recommendations.
Listen to Images & Words and Scenes from a Memory!  :biggrin:

Enjoy the ride!

Offline rab7

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
My rule for introducing people is thus:

1. Their magnum opus

2. Their breakthrough album

3. Their most recent album

Thankfully, The Astonishing is no longer their most recent album (I say this not because it's bad, but because it's a one-off and is not fully indicative of DT's present and future sound).

So that would mean you should listen to:

1. Scenes From a Memory

2. Images and Words

3. Distance Over Time, which comes out this Friday

Happy listening! You are in the enviable position of being able to listen to everything for the first time. I think all of us would love to go back and relive that feeling

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
I personally wouldn’t start with Awake as, despite now loving the album, I had a bit of a journey to get there. Like most have said Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory are their two seminal albums and there’s a reason for that. They are the two with probably the most commercial appeal in terms of catchy melodies and insane playing. If you like the darker heavier stuff then Awake and Train Of Thought are probably going to be more your thing. I personally don’t think you can go wrong with their catalog but The Astonishing is very different to the other albums, very broadway/Disney influenced and not as much metal on this one.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
Watch 'Score' Live show as soon as you get the chance! It has songs from every album until 2005 and introduces all of them well (except Train of Thought n Awake I guess) and its an awesome show with two of their epics performed with orchestra!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Barley

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
Barley, whatever you do... make sure to listen to Scenes From a Memory.   My second favorite album of all time behind London Calling of the Clash. 

Doesn't matter what order you listen to them but you left that out on your list of 4 so I just figured I would reiterate that' a must listen.   Rolling Stone also did a poll of best prog albums of all time and Scenes From a Memory won.   Obviously because of great fans like us :)

Ok!  Here's my updated list in order of listening:

-Awake
-Distance Over Time
-Scenes From a Memory
-A Dramatic Turn of Events
-Images and Words

Thanks again everyone!  I'll be back with my thoughts.   :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
I am excited for you!!! I just discovered Dream Theater 3 years ago. I had heard Pull Me Under way back when and had always loved that song, but never had an album or heard them again. I just went to spotify first, because I wondered "Did Dream Theater have any more music ?"  :justjen  :rollin

Of course I opened Spotify and went Wow!.  I believed I started at their Greatest Hit album. I was coming from a love of metal (Metallica fan- but always there was something missing). I remember listening to Root of all Evil, Home and Sacrificed Sons and was blown away. I started skipping around the different albums (On the Backs of Angels was an early fave) - and it was hit and miss at first with what I liked. Some of the stuff takes a few listens,, and then boom!!

The Astonishing had just come out - so I bought it. I thought it was weird and not very metal - but then ( by then I was reading about them on the internet ) I saw that they were touring and playing the entire TA album. I hadn't been to a concert in 15 years (too busy with my kids) and they were teens by then so I went. I was even more blow away by the performance. Now I have seen Metallica, Rush, Styx, Ted Nugent, Jethro Tull and more, but this was like no concert I had ever seen. These guys were loving playing their music and my goodness! could they play (and James singing  :heart) Seeing John Petrucci's solo......And then of course, I was hooked on The Astonishing. I come home and told my hubby and son - if they come back on this tour, you Have to see them.  I did see The Astonishing twice more, did the VIP and for one had elbows on the stage!

I kept listeing to more of their stuff, realized they had another concept album, and bought Scenes from a Memory. Dude, I could not stop playing it - and the version of Home on their Greatest Hit album plays a shortened version, so it was really a treat and surprise to hear it in it's fullness!

You are going to like Dream Theater in a way unique to you. Some like the "proggy" stuff more. (what does that really mean?) I take it to be the 'lighter side" which I thought I liked less than their heavy side, but now I think that their heaviest stuff (at the moment) is not at the top. Some like the heavy stuff more. The beauty of Dream Theater is that everyone has different favorite songs and albums.  You will hear a lot on this forum about Images and Words. I love that album, but it is not my favorite - not even top 3. Some hate Falling into Infinity, but I really dig it!

So, enjoy the ride.  :metal. Be prepared to experience and addiction that is healthy!! (well, except for your ears lol!) I could not listen to any other band for at least 2 and a half years after - and even now, they are 80 % of what I listen to. My husband just shakes his head and says I am gone......

Thats right!

Very cool testimony  :biggrin:

Online geeeemo

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
I usually say to start with Images and Words, Scenes From a Memory and Dramatic Turn of Events... but instead, I'm going to recommend that you check out the live album Breaking the Fourth Wall. Everyone is in top form on this one, the set list is great, and you can hear how good they really are since it's live.

Yes!! :metal :metal :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »

Yes!! :metal :metal :metal

Yeah.....this is a really good idea.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »

Ok!  Here's my updated list in order of listening:

-Awake
-Distance Over Time
-Scenes From a Memory
-A Dramatic Turn of Events
-Images and Words

Thanks again everyone!  I'll be back with my thoughts.   :metal

There really isn't a "wrong" way to do this.  But I will just make one suggestion with your listening order.  I would recommend trying Images and Words before Scenes From a Memory.  The reason is that Scenes contains several musical and lyrical callbacks to the song Metropolis, Pt. I from Images and Words.  Those connections are really cool if you have already heard Metropolis before hearing Scenes.

And by way of giving just a brief bit of background:  The song Metropolis, Pt. I doesn't really have anything to do with Scenes.  Scenes isn't a "sequel."  The "Pt. I" was not meant to signify that there would ever be a part II.  It was just tagged onto the title because it was kind of cool.  But because of fans asking questions about it over the years, the band actually decided to write a long song as a "sequel" of sorts.  That sort of evolved into them expanding it into an entire album's worth of music.  They came up with a cool story and worked it into a concept album inspired by some of the classic concept albums out there like Tommy, The Wall, and Operation: Mindcrime. 

And if you have the time to watch a live show and you like live music DVDs, I second the recommendation of watching Breaking the Fourth Wall.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
Personally, when I want to delve into "new bands", I avoid live or compilation material.
But it can work for other folks.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »
Well said Bosk... I&W before SFAM but make sure to listen to both!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Personally, when I want to delve into "new bands", I avoid live or compilation material.
But it can work for other folks.
It works for me. I bought the Nightwish "Vehicle of Spirit" live bluray and that got me into the band, I've bought a few of their albums since.
 Seeing Dream Theater live in the early nineties got me hooked on them. I kind of liked what I heard before that when a friend showed me their Images and Words album, but after seeing them live I was blown away!
 So I would recommend seeing them live in concert ASAP if you have a chance.  Then, only then, a Jedi will you be! 
 As far as studio albums go, I've had the most success turning people onto DT with Octavarium for some reason.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP