Author Topic: New Original, 'Red Sky at Morning'  (Read 1541 times)

Offline cosmicwxdude

New Original, 'Red Sky at Morning'
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Hello fellow musicians, writers, performers and artists alike!   I have a little studio at home where I produce my music. Nothing fancy but I am looking to upgrade and get to the next level. In any event here is my latest, 'Red Sky at Morning'.   I like to write songs without rules and regulations. In the vein of progressive, artistic, melodic, changing, non repetitive style.   Hell I grew up on Yes and all the greats from the '70s and I guess I lean a bit in that direction when I write. I just try and find a nice chord progression, beat, style and allow the music to carve the path.

In any event this one has a nice build-up, some fun melodies and a bit of a raw edge.  It's just me and my cosmic orchestra (ie me!)  I do play with others, but when I write I like to pave my own way for now.   Have a listen if you care to. All comments +/-, an insights welcome.  My photo's as a backdrop to the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcY4KdWS0TA

Offline Architeuthis

Re: New Original, 'Red Sky at Morning'
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »
I really enjoyed listening to that. It has a good vibe and like you said, a raw edge. Nice and melodic with cool changes.  That tone you have on the guitar leads, is that an open wah pedal used with single coil pick-ups on the guitar? It reminded me a bit of Porcupine Tree on a couple of their songs.
  Those are also some great photos you had with the music,  and the song title is cool too. Good job!  :coolio

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:46:56 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
Hey thanks Arch!  Appreciate the kind words. That guitar sound is simply my Boss Distortion (classic orange pedal) with the tone and distortion cranked up pretty high but pulled back on the recording board with a good touch of my favorite reverb/delay settings.  Really not much more than that. I don't believe I utilized any wah or phase shifter in this one.  The pickups are BT-2S Pickups.  These are dual coil?  I am not an expert on all the tech involved here.  My guitar is a Gretsch Streamliner hollow body.   I do like the 'lead' sound I got on this recording and I am certainly a Steve Wilson/PP Tree fan.  I simply like all sorts of music and my writing style is in the philosophical vein of 'progressive' in that I have no idea where my initial idea will take me. I usually start with chord progressions then build and piece it together from there. Thanks again!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
 :tup
You could do a sequel to that called "Sailors Take Warning".  :yarr
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP