Author Topic: Why many people consider introverted and closed people to be conceited?  (Read 5496 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why many people consider introverted and closed people to be conceited?
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
I have very slight social anxiety and am definitely an introvert. The whole thing where introverts need to be alone to recharge so to speak is exactly my experience. Sometimes I love being out with a large group, even for an entire weekend or longer. But inevitably there will come times where I just need a little bit of time to myself to catch my breath.

Here's a question for other introverts. Do you enjoy being out alone but in public/busy places? Like for example, since I started working from home, I've noticed I get much stronger urges to go out after work. That isn't to say I need to go out and talk to people, but I definitely enjoy going to a busy bar, sitting alone, and just kind of vibing with the social atmosphere. I'll talk to people now and then, but that's not my primary goal. Anyone else do that?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »
I have very slight social anxiety and am definitely an introvert. The whole thing where introverts need to be alone to recharge so to speak is exactly my experience. Sometimes I love being out with a large group, even for an entire weekend or longer. But inevitably there will come times where I just need a little bit of time to myself to catch my breath.

Here's a question for other introverts. Do you enjoy being out alone but in public/busy places? Like for example, since I started working from home, I've noticed I get much stronger urges to go out after work. That isn't to say I need to go out and talk to people, but I definitely enjoy going to a busy bar, sitting alone, and just kind of vibing with the social atmosphere. I'll talk to people now and then, but that's not my primary goal. Anyone else do that?
100%. Though I don't go to bars anymore unless it is before a show  :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online pg1067

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
Holy shit!  I thought WildRanger was back!

My first thought.  :lol
Same  :rollin

Make that three!  :lol

Maybe if we say his name three times he'll come back, like Beetlejuice!

As for the subject, I've concluded that I'm an introvert who wishes he were an extrovert.  I'm usually perfectly happy hanging out by myself, but I often wish I could be part of the crowd.  However, if I am in a long social situation or multiple such situations consecutively, I absolutely need to do a deep dive of alone time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »

I get very uncomfortable being just alone out in crowded places. I much prefer to have at least one other person with me, since they act as like a shield against the overwhelming social energy/anxiety. Its like wearing a pair on sunglasses when its too sunny out.

on the flip side, if I've been home a couple of days with no human interaction, I will start getting depressed and have a strong urge to try and interact with people.

So its like I need the isolation to recharge, but there is such thing as TOO much isolation which begins to cause new problems.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2022, 10:46:54 AM »
Holy shit!  I thought WildRanger was back!

My first thought.  :lol
Same  :rollin

Make that three!  :lol

And 4!

I loathe social situations. I can't stand being around people I don't know and I struggle to even tolerate being around the people I do know. I'm happy to just be at home doing my thing.

My wife is an extreme extrovert. We are the epitome of opposite's attract.

Yeah, this kind of sums me up too.

Same here.  I can do the "going out to bars with friends" thing for a while and then it just gets old and burnt out.  Some of my friends can keep doing that non-stop like they can't get enough.  It's been over a year now that I've seen any of them.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2022, 04:43:19 PM »
Really interesting to see both an emphatic yes and no to my post. It's really fascinating how different people are.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2022, 07:17:40 PM »

I really could never go out and sit in a bar alone, no way.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2022, 07:49:01 PM »

That would never occur to me. I wouldn't enjoy that in the slightest.

A couple months ago the wife and kids went on vacation so I was alone for a week. Aside from going to work and the grocery store, I never left the house. There wasn't any one place I wanted to go, regardless of it was a public/busy place or not.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2022, 07:52:15 PM »
A couple months ago the wife and kids went on vacation so I was alone for a week.

Were you not invited??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2022, 08:01:51 PM »
A couple months ago the wife and kids went on vacation so I was alone for a week.

Were you not invited??

Tom, you know better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2022, 08:06:26 PM »

Were you not invited??

Tom, you know better.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2022, 08:30:05 PM »
Tam, you know it to be true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2022, 08:46:37 PM »

Were you not invited??

Mrs. Cool is a teacher so has the summers off. I have one of those jobs that involves working 12 months a year. So often they will leave for a 2 week vacation over the summer and I will join them for the second half (or go for the first half and return early).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2022, 04:19:08 AM »

Were you not invited??

Tom, you know better.

This made me laugh more than it should have.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2022, 04:26:47 AM »

Were you not invited??

Mrs. Cool is a teacher so has the summers off. I have one of those jobs that involves working 12 months a year. So often they will leave for a 2 week vacation over the summer and I will join them for the second half (or go for the first half and return early).

I got one of these too, sucks ass.  Might get a week off if a 13th month is ever discovered.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »

That would never occur to me. I wouldn't enjoy that in the slightest.

A couple months ago the wife and kids went on vacation so I was alone for a week. Aside from going to work and the grocery store, I never left the house. There wasn't any one place I wanted to go, regardless of it was a public/busy place or not.

During winter that scenario happens often for me.  When it's warm enough I do like getting outside a lot, but I prefer it when even that involves less people.  I would definitely not go to a bar alone, unless the bar was also a venue and I was seeing a band.

I think it might be different for me because I'm in a long distance relationship and we talk every day.  Maybe if that wasn't the case I'd feel lonely and want to see people more often, but it's hard to say. 

I enjoy socializing at concerts.  If I'm going to one by myself, sometimes I don't really talk to anyone and I'm fine with it, but sometimes I talk to other fans and it's usually a lot of fun.  And if I know people at the show it's of course good to see them, catch up, talk about music, etc.  As long as it's not actually during the set .. don't talk to me when the band is playing. :)

And as to the original question, I did hear that some kids thought I was stuck up at school because I was pretty quiet.  But it's not like they tried to talk to me either, so... By that logic they were stuck up too. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2022, 06:24:40 AM »

Were you not invited??

Tom, you know better.

This made me laugh more than it should have.  :lol

Me too.  Tum's reactions to Kang are always gold.  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2022, 06:38:51 AM »

I really could never go out and sit in a bar alone, no way.

Relatively speaking, I do that a lot. 

There are too many factors involved in things like this to really pin it all on 'introvert' or 'extrovert', though.  I LIKE human companionship and company; that doesn't mean that it's not an energy expenditure. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2022, 04:36:07 AM »
I HATE humans more and more each day.  :lol

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2022, 06:25:44 AM »
Why are closed and shy people often misunderstood to be conceited?

Most times someone's judging someone to have some negative trait or other it's because they're projecting their own failings onto them.

In the case of accusing someone who's shy of being conceited you can largely take it as read that they themselves are conceited and their expectations of receiving someone's undivided weren't met.