Author Topic: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard  (Read 15199 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2023, 07:46:59 AM »
What do they do on the merch and fan interactions? First I'm hearing about this band  :o

Offline billboy73

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2023, 09:14:56 AM »
I've really taken the plunge on these guys over the past couple of months.  I started with Changes, and I really like that one.  From there I went with Ice, Death, Planets... and Nonagon Infinity.  I am currently on Omnium Gatherum.  Everything I have heard so far I have really enjoyed. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2023, 02:45:01 PM »
I've really taken the plunge on these guys over the past couple of months.  I started with Changes, and I really like that one.  From there I went with Ice, Death, Planets... and Nonagon Infinity.  I am currently on Omnium Gatherum.  Everything I have heard so far I have really enjoyed.

My middle son is 'all in' on these guys.....I've listened to a good handful on their albums and really like them but he is like 'all in'. My wife is taking him and one of his buddies to one of their shows in Chicago next summer and I'm super jealous. But....these guys are extremely talented and fun to listen to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2023, 04:29:55 PM »
What do they do on the merch and fan interactions? First I'm hearing about this band  :o

I think it was all kind of kicked off by these guys, Cygoodies...

https://instagram.com/cygoodies?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

They create merch, mainly enamel pins, and they are now kinda endorsed by the band. King Gizz's ethos is very much about sharing their art without the greatest concern for their personal profit. They encourage fans to access their music and products, often for free.

For instance they released album Polygondwanaland as a free bootleg and encouraged  fans to create their own vinyl and album art and sell it as they wish. They also allow fans to make their own audio recordings of shows and share them as they wish. This has led to some fans (Mystery Jack) attending many, many shows, setting up professional audio equipment, and recording the shows.

I love this approach to their art. It helps that they are super prolific, as they are always churning out new music, and not so precious about it (although I understand why other bands ARE so precious about it).

I have been avidly following King Gizzard on their reddit page, especially during their US tour last year, and a load of fans organised a huge meet up before the first Red Rocks Marathon show. During the meet up fans were sharing all their homemade merch, some really professional, others not so much. Not that it matters, it's the culture they breed and everyone wants to get involved. Obviously some merch was being sold, but there were also loads of people who'd made things like stickers, and were just handing them out for free.

The band seem to be quite active on Instagram and reddit, and seem really gracious of the love they receive.

The last thing I want to commend them on is the acceptance, in their fanbase, of all, not matter your differences. I've read a lot of posts from people in the LGBTQIA+ community, who have talked about how the music has really spoke to them about their journey, and struggles, as well as how the fanbase is really welcoming and not discriminatory in anyway. That's no coincidence, it all stems from the band.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2023, 02:33:13 PM »
Great post twosuitsluke!

I was just thinking that it actually took me a good while to get into this band. I first noticed them with Nonagon Infinity and all the hype surrounding that record and I was instantly having trouble with the lo-fi production. I wasn’t that interested in the rough ‘n ready garage rock style.

But the thing that really kept me interested is not only how many records they put out, but how every record is a new exploration of something new. The first track I was really crazy about was Crumbling Castle. Being a Tool fan, I was instantly captivated by the brilliant polyrythms and general build-up to that signature King Gizz garage-rock freakout.

The lo-fi aesthetic is always present on their records in varying degrees, but I have to say I’ve grown to love it. It definitely attributes to the sound of the band, and they apply it to their live performance sound as well. Getting into that vibe got me into Unknown Mortal Orchestra as well. There’s fantastic music happening right now in that ‘genre’.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2023, 02:36:09 PM »
I just wanted to share a King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard playlist I've been working on.

It started when I was looking on setlist.fm, to see what songs they were generally playing on tour last year. One of the things I really respect about this band is that every show is unique. On tour last year it doesn't look like they ever played the same set twice, and their extended jams were always unique and teasing lots of other songs.

Anyway, I started to attempt to compile most of the songs that they played last year, into one cohesive playlist, which flowed nicely. There were some favourite songs of mine they didn't seem to play much, so I added them in too.

This is still a bit of work in progress as I'm shuffling songs around a bit still, but so far I'm happy with how this flows.

For newcomers to the band, I'm hoping it will help showcase their ability to flawlessly play many styles.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FMmAVVl3bc58AVsrFksFj?si=Rid4eS5XQgqYQPD_8Ifzbw

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2023, 05:03:43 PM »
Linking the discussion from the "What album are you listening to?" thread for context.

I've been wanting to check out King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard for a little while now (mainly because I find their name very amusing, to be honest), so last night I tried out one of their newest albums [Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms, and Lava]. It sounds quite alright! It was both what I expected and also not what I expected. It sounds kinda weird (in a good way), but I was expecting to sound way weirder. Nothing super-impressive, but good enough that I'd like to give this album more listens. If anyone has any recommendations for other albums from these guys I might like, please let me know.
Check out Omnium Gatherum! Despite the name, it's not a metal album :lol, but a very eclectic record. From there you can pick what sound you like the most and delve deeper into that side of their discography - they're very prolific musicians so you'll have fun for quite a while.

Great to see you taking the dive dude, they are such an incredible band! Sacul's suggestion is a great one,as it does cover many sides of their sound. I'd follow up by suggesting you listen to I'm In Your Mind Fuzz. I've also linked one of the many listening guides that get posted on their reddit page (this one doesn't have their most recent albums on, but has everything up to Omnium Gatherum. I am obsessed with this band so am happy to discuss them at length and give you suggestions on where to go next

https://www.reddit.com/r/KGATLW/comments/uhfbm7/i_updated_my_king_gizzard_flowchart_complete_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I didn't include twosuitluke's post because it takes up more real estate, but that flow chart he linked to is actually pretty cool and spot on.

I'm also obsessed with them, but it took me a good while actually.

My favorites have to be K.G. and L.W., they're companion albums and are both centered around the use of microtonal instruments. I just love those eastern vibes.

And actually Ice, Death Planets (etc.) is a really great recent album by them. One of my favorites as well. However, I think the renditions of some of these tracks in this KEXP session blow the original versions out of the water: https://youtu.be/Jb8UMmrBlC8.

The albums are really cool but they tend to play songs with more energy and heaviness in a live setting. Some of my favorites include Live in Sydney, Live in Melbourne and Live at Bonnaroo, all can be found on youtube.

Yea, the flow chart is really well done and a great way to navigate their huge catalogue.

My obsession has come to the point where I am now delving into all the live recordings that are out there, especially from last years shows.

You mentioned that K.G. and L.W. are two of your favourites. Even though for me, I find them to be weaker than the majority of their releases, it's something I love about the band. Firstly, they have so much varied music, that even huge fans would have vastly different opinions on which albums are best. Secondly, the more I listen to this band, the more I come to appreciate everything they do. From month to month, I'll come to have a period of loving a different album and it will move up the rankings, then rinse and repeat. So yea, ask me in a year and K.G./L.W. maybe top of my lists!

Lastly, I second your opinion on the live recordings, especially KEXP and Live at Bonaroo. The love versions of Magenta Mountain where they jam out the end and give it the 'metal' treatment are just glorious.

Maybe we should take this over to the King Gizz thread?  :lol

Sorry if I'm late to responding to these; I remember checking a couple times yesterday to see if I'd gotten any responses, but it was only just now that I saw all these.
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! I like how in-depth the flowchart is, especially compared to others like it that I've seen before. I'm especially curious to see how varied and eclectic this band is. I became very much obsessed with The Dear Hunter last year, and I think their wide amount of creativity and variety across their whole discography was a big reason why I fell in love with them, so it makes me wonder how these guys will compare. I'm juggling between lots of new things I want to check out (and not just in music), so I might be slow to getting through their discography, but I am interested and will hopefully not take a long time to see what they've got to offer! I'll probably give IDPLMaL a few more listens as well before getting too deep into this band.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2023, 04:05:04 AM »
No need to apologise dude, take your time. It's too easy in this day and age to try to consume too much music (I am definitely guilty of that). If you feel you are vibing with something particular, stay with it. No need to rush, all this music will still be here in a years time.

It's taken me three years to fully love here guys and get a good grasp on their vast discography, so uea enjoy what you are enjoying  :tup

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2023, 03:17:04 PM »
Me on my first listen of Ice V:
Oh, hey, this sounds alright.

Me on my second listen of Ice V:
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V

No need to apologise dude, take your time. It's too easy in this day and age to try to consume too much music (I am definitely guilty of that). If you feel you are vibing with something particular, stay with it. No need to rush, all this music will still be here in a years time.

It's taken me three years to fully love here guys and get a good grasp on their vast discography, so uea enjoy what you are enjoying  :tup

Very good point! I try to keep that in mind, it's just easy for me to want to listen to more stuff at once because I don't want to feel like I'm just wasting time when I could be discovering something new. But at the same time, whenever I'm listening to one or two specific things over a long period of time, I'm usually enjoying it a lot. Case in point, I'm very behind on my Metallica discography marathon because I'm enjoying ...And Justice For All so much that I want to just keep listening to that instead of moving on to the next album (or even writing a review for AJFA  :lol).

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2023, 01:51:32 AM »
Me on my first listen of Ice V:
Oh, hey, this sounds alright.

Me on my second listen of Ice V:
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V
Ice V, Ice V

Very good point! I try to keep that in mind, it's just easy for me to want to listen to more stuff at once because I don't want to feel like I'm just wasting time when I could be discovering something new. But at the same time, whenever I'm listening to one or two specific things over a long period of time, I'm usually enjoying it a lot. Case in point, I'm very behind on my Metallica discography marathon because I'm enjoying ...And Justice For All so much that I want to just keep listening to that instead of moving on to the next album (or even writing a review for AJFA  :lol).

Did you watch the Ice V video with Joey dancing? It's great!

Definitely stay with what you're enjoying, especially And Justice for All! What an album. When I discovered Metallica properly, at like 19, I almost exclusively listened to them for about 6 months, really taking my time with each album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2023, 07:29:40 AM »
I just wanted to share a King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard playlist I've been working on.

It started when I was looking on setlist.fm, to see what songs they were generally playing on tour last year. One of the things I really respect about this band is that every show is unique. On tour last year it doesn't look like they ever played the same set twice, and their extended jams were always unique and teasing lots of other songs.

Anyway, I started to attempt to compile most of the songs that they played last year, into one cohesive playlist, which flowed nicely. There were some favourite songs of mine they didn't seem to play much, so I added them in too.

This is still a bit of work in progress as I'm shuffling songs around a bit still, but so far I'm happy with how this flows.

For newcomers to the band, I'm hoping it will help showcase their ability to flawlessly play many styles.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FMmAVVl3bc58AVsrFksFj?si=Rid4eS5XQgqYQPD_8Ifzbw

Ok, that's a bit much.  What's the best hour block of it to listen to?  Just start from the top?  They have so much music over apparently a range of styles that something is bound to hit, in spite of my qualms with them, but I don't think I'll have the patience for 6.5 hours of them. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2023, 07:45:49 AM »

Ok, that's a bit much.  What's the best hour block of it to listen to?  Just start from the top?  They have so much music over apparently a range of styles that something is bound to hit, in spite of my qualms with them, but I don't think I'll have the patience for 6.5 hours of them.

Yea, I get it. I'd say try the first run of songs from Robot Stop > Magenta Mountain. Most of those songs are quite short so it shouldn't take long. Then try the final stretch of Lava > The Dripping Tap (you can ignore Road Train, I ended it there as it seamlessly loops into Robot Stop so the playlist can loop infinitely). I believe you have already heard Magenta Mountain and The Dripping Tap? As I've sent them in other roulettes.

Make sure you report back after!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
New video for Astroturf...

https://youtu.be/ql_z7t6WGPg

God damn, you gotta appreciate the talent of these guys. They're pretty much all playing multiple instruments and switching it up seamlessly.

Also, Litho how'd you get on with that playlist?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2023, 01:54:32 PM »
Oh, I haven't gotten to it yet, it's just for future reference right now. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2023, 05:25:31 AM »
This band is the band that keeps on giving. They've just released all three nights of their Red Rocks 3 Hour Marathon Sets, as one large bootleg. That's 86 live Gizz songs.

This is everything you need right now.

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-red-rocks-22

Now we just need to wait for the mammoth vinyl release  :heart

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2023, 01:11:39 AM »
Preorders are already up, for a 12 LP vinyl release of the Red Rocks shows...

https://levitation.fm/products/king-gizzard-live-at-red-rocks-12xlp-boxset?_pos=4&_sid=e159bec19&_ss=r

:lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2023, 01:45:37 AM »
There was already a really good sounding bootleg up of Red Rocks via archive.org.
You know you're getting obsessed when you start listening to bootlegs.

I understand the band has now released it themselves, mixed by Stu. I just got the Red Rocks and Bonnaroo shows on Bandcamp. They've become quite the jam band.. the Red Rocks version of Rattlesnake is insane. They're quoting lots of other songs in there. Songs get mixed up with eachother and even recent material gets played differently. Where do they get the time to figure all this stuff out? It's insane.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2023, 02:39:52 AM »
There was already a really good sounding bootleg up of Red Rocks via archive.org.
You know you're getting obsessed when you start listening to bootlegs.

I understand the band has now released it themselves, mixed by Stu. I just got the Red Rocks and Bonnaroo shows on Bandcamp. They've become quite the jam band.. the Red Rocks version of Rattlesnake is insane. They're quoting lots of other songs in there. Songs get mixed up with eachother and even recent material gets played differently. Where do they get the time to figure all this stuff out? It's insane.

Yea I had a good listen to the one on archive.org recently (among others). I've also downloaded Bonnaroo and Red Rocks, but not got round to spinning them. Well, I've already listened to Bonnaroo a few times when it came out. It is probably my favourite set to date. I think it's on Bonnaroo where the version of Magenta Mountain has a more metal outro and it is glorious!

The full Red Rocks is likely going to be even better. I'm Gonna split the three nights when I put in on my ipod as it's too much even for me, as one album  :lol

As you said though dude, I have no idea how they find time to do all those (especially Stu). He is clearly obsessed with his art and it is a labour of love.

Same with the live sets. They all seem so locked in as a live band, but how they can mix up their sets every damn night, and add in so many snippets of songs to their jams is kind of insane.

For me, that's just one of the things that makes them so exciting as a band. I'm going to see them in March and know that the set could contain absolutely anything.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
Drip, drip from the tap, don't slip. Drip, drip from the tap, don't slip on the drip.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
Going to see King Gizzard tomorrow for the first time, and I'm beyond pumped! How many of you guys seen them live before?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2023, 12:44:22 PM »
Going to see King Gizzard tomorrow for the first time, and I'm beyond pumped! How many of you guys seen them live before?

I'm seeing them live in August at a festival, first time!
As much as I'm hyped though, I feel like them being restrained to like a 60-70 minute set at a festival is a way inferior experience to just seeing them live as the main act. Still hyped to finally cross them off my list though. :)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
Yea, as much as I'd do anything to see them, I'm glad I'm seeing them headline their own show. They are playing about 2 hours a night at the moment  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2023, 05:56:05 AM »
Went to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard last night for the first time, and this was their set...

Holy shit, what a show. I went with three of my buddies (who I successfully converted last year) and it was just what I needed. We went for a few drinks before the show and I was suitably lubed to dance around/rock out for 2 hours straight. It was so refreshing to see a band who are somewhat out of what I normally listen to, who are kinda in their prime right now.

The set wasn't necessarily my perfect set, but in true Gizz style they jammed out a lot of these songs and added in bits of other songs from their vast catalogue.

Highlights were Robot Stop, Hypertension, Work This Time (dat extended Joey guitar solo  :hefdaddy ), Shanghai jam sesh and finally The Dripping Tap. The Dripping Tap was the one song I desperately wanted them to play so I'm so chuffed they finished with it. By that point I was sweat drenched, dehydrated and elated. This finale tipped me over the edge and I floated along to this transcendent moment. I danced, I swayed, I sung, I bopped, I banged my head! My mate said they jammed this out for even longer than the studio version but honestly I have no clue.

Most of the show is up on YouTube already so I'll be watching it later.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2023, 07:04:20 AM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2023, 07:38:10 AM »
Yeah that's a good ass set.

I still haven't seen them live because every time they've toured America post-pandemic they've either skipped my state entirely or played a festival. :censored
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2023, 07:54:15 AM »
Good to hear you had a great time twosuitluke, that's a terrific set! I saw Gizz earlier this month in Tilburg. Great show as well, although very light on my favorites. Still, we had the world premiere of Gila Monster, which is cool because it totally smokes.

I get your point about the band being something outside of what you usually listen to. My usual listening is much more polished music (i.e. Porcupine Tree, Opeth) prog metal-ish stuff. King Gizzard does that as well sometimes, but they're so eclectic and the lo-fi aesthetic plays such a large part in their sound. I used to be thrown off by that but it really gives the band such a unique sound.

Then again, their stuff easily sounds 'better' live because it's automatically sounding more open and hi-fi most of the time.

There's this guy on FB who has a FB page called KGLW streams, he streams every concert so far live on that channel (if he can get decent wi-fi in the venue). Also he uploads all shows to the Altered Beast Broadcasting channel on youtube. It's pretty cool and the band seems to be perfectly fine with it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2023, 02:36:41 PM »

I still haven't seen them live because every time they've toured America post-pandemic they've either skipped my state entirely or played a festival. :censored

Yea it was damn good. You seeing them on their next US tour?

Good to hear you had a great time twosuitluke, that's a terrific set! I saw Gizz earlier this month in Tilburg. Great show as well, although very light on my favorites. Still, we had the world premiere of Gila Monster, which is cool because it totally smokes.

I get your point about the band being something outside of what you usually listen to. My usual listening is much more polished music (i.e. Porcupine Tree, Opeth) prog metal-ish stuff. King Gizzard does that as well sometimes, but they're so eclectic and the lo-fi aesthetic plays such a large part in their sound. I used to be thrown off by that but it really gives the band such a unique sound.

Then again, their stuff easily sounds 'better' live because it's automatically sounding more open and hi-fi most of the time.

There's this guy on FB who has a FB page called KGLW streams, he streams every concert so far live on that channel (if he can get decent wi-fi in the venue). Also he uploads all shows to the Altered Beast Broadcasting channel on youtube. It's pretty cool and the band seems to be perfectly fine with it.

Yea I agree mostly with where you are coming from. I have seen some of the livestreams shared in the sub reddit, but I just don't have the time to watch them all.

I'd already seen the one for last night's show go up, although it's incomplete and misses the first 40 minutes.

I'm watching now and fuck, I love Hypertension  :heart

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2023, 08:28:37 PM »

No, because they're playing a fucking festival again! And I've never been to Boston Calling but the lineup sucks even more than usual this year.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2023, 05:52:06 AM »

No, because they're playing a fucking festival again! And I've never been to Boston Calling but the lineup sucks even more than usual this year.

Yea that sucks. I had to travel to London to see them this week, which ended up being an expensive trip all in. I'm hoping when they next come back to the UK it will be a proper UK tour, but also not holding my breath.

They are playing a festival date in September, but like you, I'd rather see them play a headline tour over a festival.

I'm still buzzing off the performance the other night. It really was something special.

Offline twosuitsluke

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2023, 09:36:04 AM »
New album coming soon

"PetroDragonic Apocalypse"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »
Another metal album?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »
Another metal album?

Seems so. I have mixed feelings about another full King Gizzard metal album. Infest the Rats Nest ranks pretty low on an overall ranking for the band, but I think they've been honing their metal writing skills since 2019. Gaia is better than anything on Infest for me, so let's hope they're continuing on that trajectory.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2023, 02:31:52 PM »
Another metal album?

Seems so. I have mixed feelings about another full King Gizzard metal album. Infest the Rats Nest ranks pretty low on an overall ranking for the band, but I think they've been honing their metal writing skills since 2019. Gaia is better than anything on Infest for me, so let's hope they're continuing on that trajectory.

I disagree with this entire post. :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2023, 04:37:02 PM »
Another metal album?

I disagree with this entire post. :lol

Such is the King Gizzard dichotomy