Author Topic: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard  (Read 15579 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Re: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2023, 03:25:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m83OEpU_E8

dunno if you guys knew this channel, but it has loads of concerts!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2023, 03:38:52 PM »
Been listening to the Chicago show at work today. This version of Magma is…hot.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2023, 02:31:04 AM »
Not got to Magma yet, still on the 25 minute The River jam  :hat

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2023, 01:09:19 PM »

that jam is good for the soul  ;D
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2023, 01:48:04 PM »

that jam is good for the soul  ;D

Into night 2. The energy in Rattlesnake is beautiful.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2023, 11:32:21 PM »
It's hard to rank their discography because 1. there's so many albums 2. by the time you do a discography re-listen and get towards the latter half, a lot of the stuff you listened to way earlier starts to blur a bit. With that said, i'll throw out my current (which will probably change by the time I've posted) but i'll just go on gut feeling and a lot of the lower ones might not be bad, just ones I don't feel a strong urge to revisit compared to the higher up stuff.

Nonagon Infinity
I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava
Omnium Gatherum
Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
Polygondwanaland
Quarters!
Laminated Denim
Flying Microtonal Banana
Infest the Rats Nest
Changes
Murder of the Universe
Fishing for Fishies
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
K.G
L.W
Butterfly 3000
Gumboot Soup
Oddments
Sketches of Brunswick East
Made in Timeland
12 Bar Bruise
Eyes Like the Sky

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2023, 02:09:08 AM »
Just finished night 3 of Live in Chicago ‘23. I’m not the biggest fan of Garden Goblin, but the run of Magenta Mountain>Change>The Dripping Tap is a great way to finish. Got a few other albums to catch up on then I’ll be spinning Demos Vol. 5 & 6.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2023, 02:59:12 AM »
I’ve listened up to track 23 (Ice V). Chicago is sounding more clear than I’m used to with their boots (and Red Rocks 2023 seems to sound better than Red Rocks 2022).

I’m receiving a 12-LP Red Rocks ‘22 boxset from Needlejuice in about a week if all goes well. When I ordered it RR22 was the absolute hype, but at this point in time (not even a year later) they seem to have gone beyond.

First, the KEXP version of Magma was the thing, then RR22 went even harder, then RR23 Magma went harder than that, and now the Chicago (and Lowlands!) version of Magma is even more crazy.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2023, 08:22:19 AM »
It's hard to rank their discography because 1. there's so many albums 2. by the time you do a discography re-listen and get towards the latter half, a lot of the stuff you listened to way earlier starts to blur a bit. With that said, i'll throw out my current (which will probably change by the time I've posted) but i'll just go on gut feeling and a lot of the lower ones might not be bad, just ones I don't feel a strong urge to revisit compared to the higher up stuff.

Nonagon Infinity
I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava
Omnium Gatherum
Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
Polygondwanaland
Quarters!
Laminated Denim
Flying Microtonal Banana
Infest the Rats Nest
Changes
Murder of the Universe
Fishing for Fishies
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
K.G
L.W
Butterfly 3000
Gumboot Soup
Oddments
Made in Timeland
12 Bar Bruise
Eyes Like the Sky

this is a fine list, tho eyes like the sky is far too low!~
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
Still think Laminated Denim is their weakest album, but the live version of Hypertension from Chicago is fantastic.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2023, 10:46:41 AM »
Still think Laminated Denim is their weakest album, but the live version of Hypertension from Chicago is fantastic.

Hypertension is amazing (live and studio). It’s enough to keep it way from the bottom of the rankings for me.

Finished up Demos Vol. 5&6 earlier. Highlight was definitely the piano demo of Invisible Face, followed by Blue Horse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »

That is a pretty wild take IMO. It's not in their top tier but both songs are great and its only 30 minutes so it's pretty easily listenable. :p

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »
I've given it many chances. It does not hold my attention or interest.

In fact I just listened to it again before posting this. My opinion hasn't changed since I first heard it: It's 2 songs that go nowhere and take their time doing it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2023, 02:38:43 PM »
I've given it many chances. It does not hold my attention or interest.

In fact I just listened to it again before posting this. My opinion hasn't changed since I first heard it: It's 2 songs that go nowhere and take their time doing it.

Maybe their proggy jam stuff isnt your thing? :P Looking at your rankings the albums that lean more into that part of their sound aren't that high up. Personally I like that stuff a lot. Laminated Denim similar to Ice Lava Mushroom Kingdom Mario 64 has a nice laid back vibe and I dig it a lot.

Overall I feel like their discography is pretty solid for a band that has 24 albums in 10 years though. Even the worst ones I would say are listenable and they don't really have stinkers that are just "ugh". It's also fun with a band that has more quality music in a few years than some bands manage to pile together in 40 years as a band. But it's both a positive and a negative I think. Their frantic pace of releasing new music is fun but sometimes it feels a bit like quantity over quality in some areas. Last year was really great but in 2017 they did the same thing and I feel like if you compare the batch of albums from 2017 with the ones from 2022 it's a landslide victory for the latter. Still a few good ones from 2017 but you could definitely feel them stretching themselves out in areas unlike in 2022 where every release except for Timeland was genuinely great in their own way.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2023, 02:43:52 PM »
Woah there, now I think THAT is a hot take. I’d say ‘22 was more consistently awesome, but ‘17 had freaking Polygonwanaland and Murder of the Universe! It’s a really close call, and although I would agree that ‘22 wins, it is really close.

Does anyone else on DTF like Murder of the Universe dammit?!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2023, 02:50:35 PM »
Woah there, now I think THAT is a hot take. I’d say ‘22 was more consistently awesome, but ‘17 had freaking Polygonwanaland and Murder of the Universe! It’s a really close call, and although I would agree that ‘22 wins, it is really close.

Murder of the Universe is fine (a bit repetitive) I had it somewhere in the middle of my ranking so it's not bad at all. Polygon seems to be the general consensus favorite of 2017 at least among the views I've seen, some people have the Microtonal Banana a bit higher up. But the general excitement for the band last year just felt higher. Both Omnium Gatherum and Ice Lava got very good buzz and Changes and Laminated Denim have mostly gotten good buzz as well that I have heard. Feels like the band is in a bit of a second renaissance right now with PetroDragonic also getting huge buzz.

If you wanna point to any sort of dry spell in their discography for me, I felt after Polygon that they were putting out decent albums but nothing really special there for a while. Infest has grown on me after hearing the songs live but K.G, L.W and Butterfly 3000 were 3 albums in a row that were just sort of "decent" IMO. Not bad, just not that special. To bounce back from that with Omnium and Ice back to back is just crazy. Then again it is kinda funny that a "dry spell" of 3 slightly below expectations albums in a row for KG&LW is a downtime of 2 years and for other bands that might be 8-9 years.  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2023, 02:57:27 PM »
MOTU is my #1! Love that album.

And as for their jammy stuff, I do like that aspect quite a bit even if I don't enjoy full albums of it. I love Dripping Tap, The River, most of Ice Death, and God is in the Rhythm is hands down my favorite Gizz song (if that counts as jammy).

The two jams on Laminated Denim just don't go anywhere interesting for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2023, 03:08:20 PM »

Murder of the Universe is fine (a bit repetitive) I had it somewhere in the middle of my ranking so it's not bad at all. Polygon seems to be the general consensus favorite of 2017 at least among the views I've seen, some people have the Microtonal Banana a bit higher up. But the general excitement for the band last year just felt higher. Both Omnium Gatherum and Ice Lava got very good buzz and Changes and Laminated Denim have mostly gotten good buzz as well that I have heard. Feels like the band is in a bit of a second renaissance right now with PetroDragonic also getting huge buzz.

If you wanna point to any sort of dry spell in their discography for me, I felt after Polygon that they were putting out decent albums but nothing really special there for a while. Infest has grown on me after hearing the songs live but K.G, L.W and Butterfly 3000 were 3 albums in a row that were just sort of "decent" IMO. Not bad, just not that special. To bounce back from that with Omnium and Ice back to back is just crazy. Then again it is kinda funny that a "dry spell" of 3 slightly below expectations albums in a row for KG&LW is a downtime of 2 years and for other bands that might be 8-9 years.  :lol

A partly agree about their “dry spell”. I first heard the band in ‘19, but didn’t properly get into them until ‘20. I was excited for KG&LW, but man, those albums do absolutely nothing for me. I can’t say I really love a single song on either album. I like FMB a bit more, but maybe it’s just the microtonal stuff I don’t like. Initially I was also underwhelmed by Butterfly 3000, but it’s really grown on me. It was Omnium Gatherum that restored my faith, and the rest of the ‘22 sealed it.

If I was to compare the ‘17/22 releases they’d rank like this, so pretty damn close.

Omnium Gatherum
Murder of the Universe
Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lave
Polygondwanaland
Laminated Denim
Changes
Flying Microtonal Banana
Gumboot Soup
Made in Timeland

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2023, 03:32:12 PM »
2022 > 2017 because one year as Ice, Death, Planets etc. and the other doesn't.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2023, 06:29:21 AM »
2022 for me. IMO they became a much better, more versatile band since they stopped with the dual drummer thing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2023, 06:55:52 AM »
You mean, Cavs engaged altered beast mode.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2023, 08:03:33 AM »
I revisited Murder of the Universe today probably because of this thread, been a while since I spun it. Funny enough it's my most played album by them on last.fm but only because it has so many tracks. So there's other albums I've listened to more times but fewer songs, so fewer plays in the statistics.

Might put it above Flying Microtonal Banana out of the 2017 albums, still not in the same tier as Polygondwanaland though. Murder of the Universe does have a fun idea to it and I enjoy the narration, a lot of the music is great and as a listening experience it's a pretty fun flowing 48 minutes (or whatever). My negatives would be that there's really no S-tier songs on there, for me at least. It suffers a bit from the same syndrome that other "song-cycle" type albums have, where everything is sort of good together but nothing really stands out on its own either. But yeah I would say it went up 2-3 spots in my rankings, but it's still not really close to the very top.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2023, 10:24:05 AM »
I plan to give a listen to at least the first hour or two of this in the next week or two.  Luke, dunno if you want to tweak the order any at this point first or if you're still happy with it. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FMmAVVl3bc58AVsrFksFj?si=Rid4eS5XQgqYQPD_8Ifzbw&nd=1

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2023, 10:30:54 AM »
I plan to give a listen to at least the first hour or two of this in the next week or two.  Luke, dunno if you want to tweak the order any at this point first or if you're still happy with it. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1FMmAVVl3bc58AVsrFksFj?si=Rid4eS5XQgqYQPD_8Ifzbw&nd=1

I might tweak it a bit. I’ve not listened through the whole thing since adding songs from Fishing for Fishies (it was only recently readded to Spotify) and PetroDragonic. Might need to shift the order a little.

« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2023, 11:19:40 AM »
did y'all see the new gizzymail?

highlights:
- new album is done, no details on what it sounds like or when it's coming but they said to be ready
- US tour announced for 2024, with 4 big shows already preordering now (more dates to come)
- lots of other bootleg drops, bootleg live releases, etc

if you are a fan and aren't on the gizzymail chain i suggest you get on it! this band is always doing new stuff and it's a great newsletter to stay in the loop (written by the man Stu himself)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
did y'all see the new gizzymail?

highlights:
- new album is done, no details on what it sounds like or when it's coming but they said to be ready
- US tour announced for 2024, with 4 big shows already preordering now (more dates to come)
- lots of other bootleg drops, bootleg live releases, etc

if you are a fan and aren't on the gizzymail chain i suggest you get on it! this band is always doing new stuff and it's a great newsletter to stay in the loop (written by the man Stu himself)

Yea I saw all that on the Reddit, all looking good. Someone posted what looked like leaked song titles for the upcoming album yesterday. As always, it’s a good time to be a Gizz fan. I hope they announce some UK dates for next year as well. Kinda hoping for a new album release date and single come Friday.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2023, 12:02:17 PM »
I'm fine with missing out on the 3 hour shows but if they completely skip over Massachusetts again... :sadpanda:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
Next album might be called The Silver Cord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KGATLW/comments/16jen44/yang_album_name_release_date_leaked/?sort=new

Possibly coming October 27th

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
Beat me to it :lol

Bring it on! Sure the announcement will be any day now.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2023, 02:47:08 AM »

Hoping for an announcement tomorrow…

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2023, 05:13:03 AM »

Let’s goooooooooo…..

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2023, 05:24:19 AM »
Man, new Steven Wilson album coming out in two days and at the end of the month a new Gizz record. With a lot of synths. Awesome.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2023, 10:19:20 AM »
Doesn't KGLW already have another electronic-heavy album?  That picture is really piquing my interest though, as someone who owns way too many synthesizers myself. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2023, 10:19:56 AM »
You’re thinking of Butterfly 3000

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2023, 10:20:46 AM »