Author Topic: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard  (Read 15238 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2023, 02:26:56 AM »
Psyched for this album actually. Gila Monster is a stompin' tune and will be the first singles. I also hope for groovy and slightly proggy tracks in the vein of Gaia and Predator X. I also think they upped their metal game since Infest.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
Infest is probably somewhere in the bottom third for me in their discography, musically its okay but their vocals just don't feel like a great match for the style on that album and I feel like they do other styles better. But a new Gizz album is still hype.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2023, 03:02:28 PM »
Infest is probably somewhere in the bottom third for me in their discography, musically its okay but their vocals just don't feel like a great match for the style on that album and I feel like they do other styles better. But a new Gizz album is still hype.

Totally agree. But I have faith in Gizz, and my obsession runs deep, so I'm sure to love whatever it is. I'm hoping for a single drop tomorrow.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2023, 06:29:15 AM »
New single: Gila Monster

https://youtu.be/YQX2CsMCB9M

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2023, 06:50:50 AM »
GILA
GILA
GILA

GILA
GILA MONSTER
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2023, 12:32:06 AM »
This video is everything I love about King Gizz!

GILA
GILA
GILA

GILA
GILA MONSTER

This!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2023, 08:04:00 AM »
Studio version delivers! Can't wait for the new album. Awesome cover art and title.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2023, 11:53:05 AM »
Studio version delivers! Can't wait for the new album. Awesome cover art and title.

Yea they've suckered me in with the vinyl only song to round off the album (looks like it's a narrated lore kinda thing), and I've preordered. If this links in with Murder of the Universe then I will be over the moon.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2023, 06:28:06 AM »
Been listening to the Red Rocks '22 live album(s) over the weekend, 8 ½ hours of bliss. Definitely gained a big amount of appreciation for some songs that didn't necessarily blow me away on the albums, but in a live setting they just hit harder. Also appreciate the band jamming out on some of these songs, like the 18 minute Her & I (Slow Jam II) or the 19 minute The River, there's just so much to love here. 86 songs over 3 nights so you get a big coverage of their discography as well.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2023, 06:26:27 AM »
DRAGON

DRAGON

DRAGON

DRAGON
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2023, 07:03:50 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/comments/142dvhd/king_gizzard_the_lizard_wizard_dragon/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

The video is the usual Gizz awesomeness  :metal

Man, that intro riff is infectious. Not as excited about this release as I was with some of the October releases but I’m sure they’ll pull it off.

DRAGON

DRAGON

DRAGON

DRAGON

:metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2023, 12:19:54 PM »
New album Friday, everyone pumped?!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2023, 12:52:41 PM »
Yes, for sure!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2023, 12:53:04 PM »
The album is out in Australia, which means you can listen to it now if you preordered it on Bandcamp like I did.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2023, 01:01:06 PM »
My only question is if the runtime is longer than it takes to say the album title out loud. 

If so, I'll be happy.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2023, 02:08:44 PM »
The album is out in Australia, which means you can listen to it now if you preordered it on Bandcamp like I did.

You can listen to it on Bandcamp regardless of if you pre-ordered it or not: https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/petrodragonic-apocalypse-or-dawn-of-eternal-night-an-annihilation-of-planet-earth-and-the-beginning-of-merciless-damnation
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2023, 02:11:06 PM »
Yep, on it now  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2023, 01:36:44 AM »
I’ve only listened to half of it, but so far so great. Not to dismiss ITRN but this is just amazing! I love how technical, groovy and old school metal this record is. Love the Tool inspired tribal parts.

Also, their albums tend to sound lo-fi but the production kicks ass in an old school way. I love how it sounds.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2023, 02:57:36 AM »
I’m pretty much with you dude. As a huge metal head I found Infest to be a little one dimensional and wasn’t a huge fan. It definitely ranks in the lower half of their catalogue for me. I was a bit apprehensive going into PetroDragonic, but hoped the band had improved their metal chops.

I can confirm they most certainly have (especially Cavs) and after two listens I know I’ll be returning to this more than Infest. As others on Reddit have said, this is more Infest meets Polygonwanaland.

I thought both singles were pretty cool, although Dragon goes on a little long. I adore the intro though, and didn’t feel it drag so much listening as part of the album experience. I don’t think it’s unfair to say the weakest element of the whole album are Stu’s vocals. I don’t hate them but they don’t quite fit this style for me. I actually prefer the parts where Amby sings lead vocals, but they are few and far between.

Motor Spirit (as I think I mentioned last night) kicks off like the first song on Songs for the Deaf, by Queens of the Stone Age. Supercell is a bit more of a straightforward thrasher, but damn good. Highlights are definitely Witchcraft and Flamethrower for me (as well the aforementioned intro to Dragon). It’s already being theorised that the synthy outro to Flamethrower will lead into the next album (which is reported to be the yin to PetroDragonic’s yang). If these albums go full circle the end of the next album may lead into Motor Spirit.

But anyway, really strong album with much more interesting metal arrangements and killer drumming from Cavs.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »
OK, I listened this morning.

On a scale from 1 to 10, this album kicks ass.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »
So.. I've never heard a King Gizz album before, so I thought I'd give their new album a spin today. I was at my desk at work, so I got a pretty good listen, but I'll probably hit it again tonight with headphones.

I have to say that I really liked it. The vocals were a tad on the ....I don't know what the word is..monotonous? Not sure that's it, but along those lines. I really liked it though.
And the drumming was awesome. I bet that dude is amazing live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2023, 02:55:02 PM »
If you like it, check out their other metal album “Infest the Rats Nest”

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »

I sent him like four songs from it in a previous roulette and he was pretty indifferent about them. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2023, 03:07:01 PM »
Get in Tim! Glad you enjoyed it. I agree about Stu’s vocals being off, although I think they work well with many of the other styles they play.

I can confirm that the whole band are indeed awesome live.

Metropolaris, I gotta respectfully disagree. I feel Infest will be a disappointing listen after hearing the new record. Yes, it’s the closest in style, but I don’t feel it’s the same quality. I’d say stick with the new one for a bit and then dive feet first into the Gizzverse with Murder of the Universe or Nonagon Infinity.

I’ll just be happy for the band to get some more recognition around here to be fair.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2023, 03:17:34 PM »
If Tim likes Murder Of The Universe more than Infest The Rats’ Nest I’ll request to be banned. :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2023, 03:26:13 PM »
If Tim likes Murder Of The Universe more than Infest The Rats’ Nest I’ll request to be banned. :lol

He’ll hate it but I think he’d still like it more than Butterfly 3000 or Paper Mache Dream Balloon, as it’s at least somewhat metal.

Murder of the Universe is a top 3 Gizz release for me though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2023, 03:28:26 PM »
Get in Tim! Glad you enjoyed it.  I’d say stick with the new one for a bit and then dive feet first into the Gizzverse with Murder of the Universe or Nonagon Infinity.

Jumping in feet first might be a bit strong. :lol

But I'll give the new album a couple of spins. And then move on to your recomendations.

I'll hit both.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2023, 04:09:00 PM »

Add me to this list.  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2023, 06:43:05 PM »
I've only listened to the new album twice so far, and I'll need a few more listens before I know how I feel about it. I don't think it'll surpass Infest The Rats' Nest for me, though apparently I hold that record in higher regard than most people on here. :lol The songs on that album have a simplicity to them that I think works in their favor. The songs on the new album are more complex, but also less memorable as a result. Infest The Rats' Nest also has Mars For The Rich and Superbug which gave it some variety; all the songs on this album kind of blend together, especially with how many of them directly transition into one another.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2023, 09:35:01 PM »
Looks like I didn't win any of the giveaways i entered for the Hollywood Bowl show, so finally time to buy a ticket  :lol

There's still plenty of seats available, so now the difficulty is deciding where to sit/how much to spend.  Had a great view in the "super seat" section when i saw The Who there last year, and there's a few seats still available there for around $70.  But I'm tempted to sit further back at around $45-50 to help justify whatever i spend on an event poster  :lol

Either way excited for my first KG show, really digging the new album but with such a long show I'm not sure what to expect set wise

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2023, 02:54:31 AM »
Man, I’ve only seen them once but it was a hell of a show! I feel you on the cost of the poster being factored into your spending. I wish that I could’ve afforded one when I saw them, but also that the queues for mercy weren’t so damn long.

Regarding their sets, the great thing about the band is they are so fluid with what they play and don’t really have any set staples at this point in their career. Maybe Work This Time with Joeys extended solo, but even then I wouldn’t expect it. Just enjoy dude, I’m jealous.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2023, 05:59:52 PM »
The new album is top 5 Gizz for sure, probably top 3. I was right in that it didn't end up topping Infest The Rats Nest for me, but I admire it for being a lot more ambitious than that album. Dragon and Flamethrower are easily the best songs here. Supercell and Gila Monster are the weakest for me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2023, 01:17:28 AM »
The new album is top 5 Gizz for sure, probably top 3. I was right in that it didn't end up topping Infest The Rats Nest for me, but I admire it for being a lot more ambitious than that album. Dragon and Flamethrower are easily the best songs here. Supercell and Gila Monster are the weakest for me.

Can’t see it cracking my top 5 but I also wouldn’t rule it out. I pretty much agree with you though dude, Dragon and Flamethrower are my favourites. Kinda surprised you rank Supercell as one of the weakest as it’s probably the song that would fit on ItRN, more than any other.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2023, 10:00:23 AM »
A heads-up to fellow KG fans: the band are the featured guest on Office Hours Live with Tim Heidecker in precisely an hour from now. If you catch the show live on YouTube you have the chance of witnessing the entire entire two hour extravaganza. After the live stream ends the second hour is only available through Tim's Patreon.

Looking forward to whatever shenanigans ensue!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »
I might be able to catch the last hour of the live show. Got the link?