Author Topic: JP on Eddie Trunk on Monday 2/18/19  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: JP on Eddie Trunk on Monday 2/18/19
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »
20 minutes in. Really enjoying it...aside from Trunk comparing his own work load to JPs. LOL.

JP is great on radio.

JP is great. Coolest revelations from the interview for me were that there is and has been talks about turning the Astonishing into a play/musical....that he's actually had the conversations already with the appropriate people. AND....that when asked about if he'd do another Liquid Tension he immediately said 'yes'....in an almost enthusiastic manner.....but did say that there haven't been ANY plans to....only that he'd totally be open to it.

After hearing that....plus with Jordan already playing with MP again.....I'd say it's just a matte of time before that actually happens...not IF it will happen.

Agreed. LTE is a certainty. It seems like a matter of when at this point. But it will.

I also liked the question about The Astonishing when John said in a perfect world, he would have released the BOOK first, then tour, and release the record after each show.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DT1138

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »
Alright, here it is again, all music has been cut out...

https://youtu.be/dfmAx_tkOJ0

Thank you.

JP sounds like such a cool dude.

You're welcome and I completely agree.  JP never fails to amaze in his skills and also what a cool guy he is.

What songs did they play?  What are your impressions if you don't mind?

Untethered Angel (solo sections)
Paralyzed (part of the verse/chorus)
Barstool Warrior (One of the verses/chorus? not sure which since it hasn't been officially released)

I liked Barstool Warrior....for what they played of it.  The clip lasted only 45 seconds or so (I measured the time length in my audio editor). Sounded like a somewhat lighter, more compressed song compared to what they've released so far.  I look forward to hearing all of it in a couple of days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
LTE is a certainty. It seems like a matter of when at this point. But it will.

Has Tony Levin expressed interest in doing another LTE album? I honestly have no idea.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
I felt that JP was extreeeeeeeemly lukewarm in his answer to LTE.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the LTE had Jordan, but not JP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »

That was my interpretation. Almost like, "Shit, I better say yes but I also need to tamp down any expectations that this is a short term possibility."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »
I haven't heard the interview yet.  But just judging from the comments.... I imagine JP wouldn't mind doing the actual project, but everytime he thinks about it, he can't stop thinking about the media circus that would result.    There would be NO END to the microscope media circus just waiting with baited breath for "THE REUNION"...which may not even be a part of the plan.   

It's a shame that these people can't have the freedom to just engage in a project they would love to do without feeling like they were being pushed by the public to make it more.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
I haven't heard the interview yet.  But just judging from the comments.... I imagine JP wouldn't mind doing the actual project, but everytime he thinks about it, he can't stop thinking about the media circus that would result.    There would be NO END to the microscope media circus just waiting with baited breath for "THE REUNION"...which may not even be a part of the plan.   

It's a shame that these people can't have the freedom to just engage in a project they would love to do without feeling like they were being pushed by the public to make it more.

Finally someone noticed that!

Like it or not, there is a mood "MP vs DT", even if it does not come from them. Even Derek Sherinian knows this and used it to promote SoA.

MP, JR and JP together again is to ask that "THE REUNION" theme be the only relevant thing. Only need to call JM to replace Tony Levin.  :lol

I guess JP knows that very well. We will see what will happen.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »

Truth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the LTE had Jordan, but not JP.

LTE is a certainty. It seems like a matter of when at this point. But it will.

Has Tony Levin expressed interest in doing another LTE album? I honestly have no idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got like Connor Green or someone else to replace Tony if he's not onboard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
I don't think there's be an LTE with two different members.

I could see MP and Jordan involved in some project before I could see JP involved with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »

Truth.

Yeah, I agree with this as well. I think it WILL happen, but that media circus would be ridiculous. The timing will be absolutely critical. They need to find a time where it is most obvious that nothing is going to change with Dream Theater, so that the reunion questions are just silly at that point. However, that's why I think it'll be over the next few years. Look at Mangini's FB post today, saying how he feels like this is the first album he was a real part of the writing and creation with the band. He's fully integrated as a writer, as a player, etc. He's cemented on that drum stool unless he doesn't want to be. It's pretty obvious Dream Theater are very happy as a band now, and as this tour cycle further cements that, I could see the timing being good for LTE again. The reunion questions will still happen, but it will become laughable after a bit, given how DT is positioning itself (even JP's interview with Trunk -- JP made it a point to talk about how long MM has been in the band and how many records he's done with them, both studio and live). That's, in my opinion, very much on purpose.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
Yeah, I agree with this as well. I think it WILL happen, but that media circus would be ridiculous.

A DT reunion, or an LTE project?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they got like Connor Green or someone else to replace Tony if he's not onboard.

I'd rather they not do LTE again if all four aren't on board.  Tony Levin's unique and bad ass bass playing was such a huge part of those two albums kicking ass.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »
Yeah, I agree with this as well. I think it WILL happen, but that media circus would be ridiculous.

A DT reunion, or an LTE project?

LTE
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

That was my interpretation. Almost like, "Shit, I better say yes but I also need to tamp down any expectations that this is a short term possibility."

Really? I didn't hear it like that. He seemed completely fine with it....but he did make the point to say that absolutely nothing has been talked about as far as planning it. I got the impression from his tone that he'd welcome the opportunity. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:44 AM »

I'd rather they not do LTE again if all four aren't on board.  Tony Levin's unique and bad ass bass playing was such a huge part of those two albums kicking ass.

Yes! Completely true.

LTE has become so DT (for obvious reasons) that it is very common for people not to notice or give true credit to Tony Levin. I can bet that a new LTE without TL would not generate much negative commotion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

Yes! Completely true.

LTE has become so DT (for obvious reasons) that it is very common for people not to notice or give true credit to Tony Levin. I can bet that a new LTE without TL would not generate much negative commotion.

My comment was strictly about TL being a bassist and the bassist seems to be the most replaceable in many bands.  He's also really old so I could see them going a different route if they want to continue in the future.  Really has nothing to do with his ability or what he brings to LTE.  It'd be cool to keep the same members for sure, but TL saying "nah" makes me think it wouldn't hold them back if JP/MP/JR want to do it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »

My comment was strictly about TL being a bassist and the bassist seems to be the most replaceable in many bands.  He's also really old so I could see them going a different route if they want to continue in the future.  Really has nothing to do with his ability or what he brings to LTE.  It'd be cool to keep the same members for sure, but TL saying "nah" makes me think it wouldn't hold them back if JP/MP/JR want to do it.

There are a handful of bassists are who are not replaceable...and Tony Levin is one of them.  I am sure they'd have no problem finding someone with chops who would fit in well, but this person wouldn't have the sound and style of Levin. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »

There are a handful of bassists are who are not replaceable...and Tony Levin is one of them.  I am sure they'd have no problem finding someone with chops who would fit in well, but this person wouldn't have the sound and style of Levin.

Dont forget about his awesome Finger Stick work.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
This might be a better fit for the controversial opinions thread, but I think LTE should be left as it is, no reunions please.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."