Poll

Do you like live medleys?

Yes, I always like them
Not always, but usually
I can take or leave them
I like them occasionally, but usually not
No, I never like them

Voting closes: November 26, 2024, 01:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Do you like medleys (at concerts)?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline DT2003

Re: Do you like medleys (at concerts)?
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
Depends. I think most of the time I’d prefer full songs but I love Instrumedley and Scmedley Wilcox. And I think the medley NMB is currently playing is amazing. Given they are playing TGA in its entirety it doesn’t leave room for much else to be played so this medley is a perfect trip down memory lane.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
Speaking of the Instrumedley, it was my introduction to DT. I listened to it so many times before listening to the individual songs of the medley, so much that when I finally heard the Dance of Eternity, I was kind of let down because it didn't have all those other incredible parts (like Hell's Kitchen & the LTE stuff), besides it kind of sounded off without the transitions I have already made myself used to.

So maybe I'm biased towards DT's medleys for this reason  ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
I remember getting Once in a LiveTime (way back when I actually would buy a live album) and A Change of Seasons being broken up the way it was over the course of the whole show was a major WTF.  That has to be one of the most bizarre and curious set list decisions ever.
For me it was interesting and I liked it, it was interesting to listen and appreciate every part of ACOS separately and hear how they stand on their own.
I agree with Natt. Plus I thought it was cool the way the interspersed parts of it throughout the show, in order, so that the very first thing and very last thing were parts of ACoS. It was an idea that MP carried over from when they did the Ff96 shows, where they were featuring new songs that didn't warrant time for the full song. And besides, you got the complete song on the following tour and live album, so why get your panties in a twist?

Don't treat me like a cheap whore!
Hey, the band just calls it like they see it!   :-*  :biggrin:

The 20-year-old version of me used to love Instrumedley. Recently, while watching the MP/JP playing it, I asked myself "Why?"
Why not? In this particular performance (I'm assuming you're speaking about MP and JR), it was a great way to sum up DT and LTE's history in a piece that still had a lot of familiarity with the fans and didn't require a vocalist. Aside from that, the Instrumedley and medleys in general are a great way to include parts of songs they couldn't otherwise play fully in their entirety within the time limits and at the same time give the songs a bit of a new spin. I love the ways MP came up with to bridge the section of one song to lead directly into a section of a completely different song - that takes some creativity and obviously an intimate knowledge of what sections of songs work well together and what does not. Besides, most of those songs were already performed in full and documented on various live releases anyway, so it's not as if you couldn't enjoy those live performances if you're a stickler for songs being played in their entirety.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
It was an idea that MP carried over from when they did the Ff96 shows, where they were featuring new songs that didn't warrant time for the full song.

Hey fans! We've written some great new songs! But they aren't good enough to play the whole thing, so we're just going to play parts of them. You ready! 1... 2... 3...

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »
It was an idea that MP carried over from when they did the Ff96 shows, where they were featuring new songs that didn't warrant time for the full song.

Hey fans! We've written some great new songs! But they aren't good enough to play the whole thing, so we're just going to play parts of them. You ready! 1... 2... 3...
:facepalm:  The Ff96 shows were to premiere songs that would appear on their upcoming album (FII), NOT ACoS, which had already been played throughout the second half of the previous year. Might wanna get your facts straight, Mr. Cool.  ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
Sounds like Mr. Portnoy's unofficial lawyer is the one with his panties in a twist. :lol :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
Nope. Only just another example of Mr. Cool twisting words.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »

:facepalm:  The Ff96 shows were to premiere songs that would appear on their upcoming album (FII), NOT ACoS, which had already been played throughout the second half of the previous year. Might wanna get your facts straight, Mr. Cool.  ::)

Scotty, I was being a little cheeky. I don't know my DT history like you do. It just struck me funny the scenario you painted.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
Why not? In this particular performance (I'm assuming you're speaking about MP and JR), it was a great way to sum up DT and LTE's history in a piece that still had a lot of familiarity with the fans and didn't require a vocalist. Aside from that, the Instrumedley and medleys in general are a great way to include parts of songs they couldn't otherwise play fully in their entirety within the time limits and at the same time give the songs a bit of a new spin. I love the ways MP came up with to bridge the section of one song to lead directly into a section of a completely different song - that takes some creativity and obviously an intimate knowledge of what sections of songs work well together and what does not. Besides, most of those songs were already performed in full and documented on various live releases anyway, so it's not as if you couldn't enjoy those live performances if you're a stickler for songs being played in their entirety.

1. Correct! MP/JR:tup
2. I agree with you. It was a good choice for that particular performance. I wasn't talking about it specifically.
3. I don't have the same enthusiasm I've had about Instrumedley. Since I haven't listened to Budokan for some time, I didn't remember correctly. MP/JR presentation was a good opportunity for this. It fulfills the purpose of the show, it's live fun, but it's just a medley with disconnected parts. It is not a big deal.
4. Talking specifically about DT. I've had the opportunity to watch two medleys: Schmedley Wilcox and Pull Me Under/Metropolis. I would easily exchange the first for Octavarium and the second for Metropolis.   :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:07 AM »
Had to pick the second option because of this Amorphis three song medley and this Children Of Bodom two song mashup.
I like what Amorphis did with the Elegy medley, because usually they would simply play the full version of Against Widows or On Rich and Poor in that spot. It's cool that they threw in the chorus of Cares, since Tomi J dislikes that song and therefore it's not likely to get played in full at a normal show again.

I also think Rush's R30 Overture was well constructed and works as a nice introduction for the anniversary show, especially with the way it progresses chronologically and then leads into The Spirit of Radio. I still had to pick the 4th option though, because most of the time I'd much rather hear a full song instead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 06:00:56 PM »
Nope. Only just another example of Mr. Cool twisting words.

Playful jabs aside, I get why bands sometimes want to do a medley. It is a way of putting a different twist on a few songs, instead of always playing them as is, tour after tour.  I just usually find them unsatisfying more often than not, personally.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2021, 09:12:49 AM »
LOVE medleys. IMO something is better than nothing and more is never enough!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:07 AM »
Generally, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »
I have no issues with a well-done, creative medley. Could be fun, can’t recall one that I’ve heard that I just thought was awful. Can only really think of medleys from DT, Genesis, and I guess Rush did one on R30. Don’t have a strong opinion on them really.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
It really depends for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I enjoy medleys that seamlessly connect. Those that don't I find annoying.

An example of such a medley is The Big Medley Dream Theater did that's released on ACOS.

Now that's how you do a medley. Most times bands just paste songs together and link them by leaving a hanging note and then starting the riff from the next song.

For me, a Medley should sound like it's own song, and not just a jumbled mess.

Dream Theater was guilty of the jumbled mess with Schmedly Wilcock. That was a great idea on paper, but wasn't executed well. That Medley is a jumbled mess to me.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »
I have no issues with a well-done, creative medley. Could be fun, can’t recall one that I’ve heard that I just thought was awful. Can only really think of medleys from DT, Genesis, and I guess Rush did one on R30. Don’t have a strong opinion on them really.

The Rush one was actually pretty neat. It's a Medley but also an Overture. Hence it's name R30:Overture. Which is neat as it goes through the older rush songs until arriving at The Spirit of Radio. Which is a perfect overture for both the intro to The Spirit of Radio and the 30th anniversary tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
The Genesis "In The Cage" medley from 3SL is my favorite piece of recorded music ever.  And some of the other versions through the years are excellent (and I don't even like the base song - ITC - all that much!).   Not to say that every medley is great, but if it's well thought out, if it gives the band the chance to branch out, then I'm in.   It's like anything else; there are no rules and it's a matter of the details.

Offline HOF

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »

The Rush one was actually pretty neat. It's a Medley but also an Overture. Hence it's name R30:Overture. Which is neat as it goes through the older rush songs until arriving at The Spirit of Radio. Which is a perfect overture for both the intro to The Spirit of Radio and the 30th anniversary tour.

Yeah, I think it’s a nice way for a band with a large back catalogue to get older/obscure stuff into the set. That was a nice way for Rush to get some of that stuff into the concert. I also think it made a lot of sense for later day Genesis to approach their prog stuff that way when most of the crowd were probably there for the hits. At least they didn’t ignore it altogether.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »
Sometimes. I loved when Rush did the big medley a few years ago, but then I quickly got pissed off that that meant I wouldn’t get to hear those songs in full.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
I usually prefer when my fave bands play snippets of songs I love if they have a massive back catalogue - then totally re writing them.

I'd rather go to see Green Day and hear 1 minute of Basket Case than a 3 minute 12 bar boogie of Basket case.