Author Topic: Live vs Studio versions.  (Read 4518 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Live vs Studio versions.
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2021, 09:09:52 AM »
Almost any Genesis song is better live than in the studio, especially when Chester and Phil do the double drum thing.  Also, almost any Dave Matthews Band song is better live than the studio version.  Peter Gabriel is better live than in the studio, depending on whether or not the live version features a prominent performance of his daughter Melanie on vocals. 

Yes!   The "In The Cage" medley on 3SL is literally my favorite piece of recorded music ever, so there's that.   The live versions of Domino are excellent.  The live version of Supper's Ready on Seconds Out blows away the studio.

Marillion’s Warm Wet Circles and That Time of the Night, and Garden Party are better live with Hogarth on vocals.  I’ll fight anyone on that!!

Ooooh, and then you lose me.   :)   I'll have to think about this a bit, but I can't really name a Fish song that Hogarth does better.    He does a good job on Slainte Mhath, and oddly I like the version of Cinderella Search is pretty good.  But, speaking of Fish, the version of Poet's Moon on Sushi is way better than the studio version (I LOVE that song).

Offline HOF

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2021, 09:20:25 AM »
As much as I love the not-quite live Secret World, I would not agree in general that Peter Gabriel's songs are better live than in studio. He's such a studio musician, and many of his songs don't translate very well live.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »
Rush: The Trees (with Broon's Bane as interlude), YYZ(extended live versions), A Passage to Bangkok (ESL), Witch Hunt, By-Tor and the Snow Dog (ATWAS)
Iron Maiden: Rime of the Ancient Mariner (LAD), Fear of the Dark
Deep Purple: Child in Time and Strange Kind of Woman (Made in Japan)
Judas Priest: Victim of Changes (Unleashed in the East)
Thin Lizzy: Rosalie and Emerald (Live and Dangerous)
UFO: most songs on SITN

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2021, 10:52:41 AM »
U2 - The Electric Co. (from Under a Blood Red Sky)
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (from Under a Blood Red Sky)

It has been a LONG time since I have heard that album, but I remember it being my go-to for all those old U2 songs, so great call.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »
Rush: The Trees (with Broon's Bane as interlude), YYZ(extended live versions), A Passage to Bangkok (ESL), Witch Hunt, By-Tor and the Snow Dog (ATWAS)
Iron Maiden: Rime of the Ancient Mariner (LAD), Fear of the Dark
Deep Purple: Child in Time and Strange Kind of Woman (Made in Japan)
Judas Priest: Victim of Changes (Unleashed in the East)
Thin Lizzy: Rosalie and Emerald (Live and Dangerous)
UFO: most songs on SITN

This is a pretty goddamn good list.  Would that your questions be this strong and well-though out!  (I'm kidding!  I like your questions.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2021, 05:19:01 PM »

Peter Gabriel - Come Talk to Me (from Secret World Live)
Peter Gabriel - Washing of the Water (from Secret World Live)
Peter Gabriel - Secret World (from Secret World Live)
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up (from Secret World Live)

Good call on the Secret World Live versions. They're fantastic and at least the tracks from Us had more life than the album versions, though they aren't exactly "live" either from what I understand either.

I have to admit that I chuckle every time I watch the Blu-ray and PG's wordless vocal at the beginning of Kiss that Frog overlaps into him actually playing the harmonica live.  :lol :lol

Live or not, it is still one of my favorite concert videos ever.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2021, 07:52:58 PM »
I have 2 to contribute.

"Red House" by Hendrix, from his 1969 show at the Royal Albert Hall: https://youtu.be/q2L1KzrotM8. It sounds amazing, and Hendrix's playing is all over the place. This recording opens a low-budget VVAA compilation that my grandma gave to me when I was a boy. Every night, I load the CD in my stereo, and I set it as my alarm for the following morning. I wake up to this song everyday.

"Claroscuro" by Soda Stereo, from their 1996 US tour: https://youtu.be/-qDFePjDjq0. In my opinion, one of the highest points in the band's discography. The studio version (from their 1992 album) is much more electronic. This rock-ier live version is gorgeous.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2021, 08:05:03 PM »
There aren’t too many Raven fans around these parts, but for those that are, Live at the Inferno is just a freaking masterpiece.

So much of their first 2 albums (and an EP) are so thin sounding even though the songs are cool. All For One sounded much more full and in your face, but even that doesn’t even come close to what they captured on Live at the Inferno. Literally every song on that album completely smokes the original.  And I still think it’s possibly the 2nd or 3rd greatest heavy metal live album ever made.

John Gallagher’s vocals are very “love em or hate em” but I think it’s absolutely perfect for what the band does. They were honestly one of the best live bands ever in their prime, and LATI captures them at their peak IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2021, 09:51:53 AM »
There aren’t too many Raven fans around these parts

I bought All for One at some point in the mid-'80s.  It was one of those "buy something unknown" purchases.  I never got past that album, and it was among the albums I trashed in the late '90s (along with my record player) and did not replace on CD.  I didn't really like their goofiness (second rate Anthrax in this regard).  The singer's voice didn't really appeal to me, but the thing I really didn't like was the prevalence of rhythm guitar parts under the guitar leads when they only had one guitar player.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
There aren’t too many Raven fans around these parts

I bought All for One at some point in the mid-'80s.  It was one of those "buy something unknown" purchases.  I never got past that album, and it was among the albums I trashed in the late '90s (along with my record player) and did not replace on CD.  I didn't really like their goofiness (second rate Anthrax in this regard).  The singer's voice didn't really appeal to me, but the thing I really didn't like was the prevalence of rhythm guitar parts under the guitar leads when they only had one guitar player.

Well that last part wouldn’t be a problem with Live at the Inferno.  :laugh:

And Raven pre-date Anthrax by a few years. I suppose there is a bit of humor, but it’s not without teeth. Their final Atlantic album Life’s a Bitch in particular was a pretty aggressive album.

A sample of the opening track Savage and the Hungry:

https://youtu.be/qAmL8m83QmE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:29:28 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2021, 02:05:07 PM »
In a big Marillion mood today, so I just put my my whole Marillion catalog on shuffle. I'm getting super annoyed any time any of the live stuff comes up. Like, those things are interesting to hear once in a while, but I don't really want to listen to those versions of the song, most of which are quieter/more muffled or weaker vocally than the studio versions. The only exceptions are the few acoustic performances where they rearrange the songs a bit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
A Question of Heaven, Travel in Stygian, and The Stormrider Trilogy are all better on Alive in Athens, but I prefer the studio version of Dante's Inferno.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2021, 05:06:57 PM »
A Question of Heaven, Travel in Stygian, and The Stormrider Trilogy are all better on Alive in Athens, but I prefer the studio version of Dante's Inferno.

God dammit the ending to A Question of Heaven is better in the studio and I will fight you forever on this!

Agree with the rest though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2021, 05:09:23 PM »
There is not a single song on Alive In Athens that is has a better studio version.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2021, 05:40:49 AM »
Few days late here, but I agree completely with TAC regarding Hollow Years, and Beyond This Life - I really have to be in the mood for that improv section

Others I'll throw out
Octavarium - other than the extended intro, everything about this is better from RCMH
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - the orchestra makes is monumentally better.
Closer to the Heart - Different Stages version.  Dat outro  :hefdaddy
Avantasia - The Scarecrow.  Jorn gives one of the best vocal performances in prog metal.  Ever.
Heart - The Voice (from Rock This House!)
Page/Plant - Four Sticks.  I almost considered listing Kashmir
Evergrey - When the Walls go Down
Nightwish - anything Floor did from Annette's two albums
Star One - Intergalactic Space Crusaders.  The chemistry between Allen and Wilson is amazing.
Triumph - Hold On... a little folk song you might remember.  Making it pure acoustic is a great arrangement.

Entire Albums:
Operation:Livecrime
Mercy Falls - if only for the elimination of the cringy spoken parts

And some obvious classics
Freebird
With A Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker's version)
Do You Feel Like We Do
Alice's Restaurant (although, was there a "studio" version?)
Boom Boom (Out go the Lights)
Rubber Biscuit
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »

The AIA version of Dante is lightyears better than the studio version.  To me, there's no comparison.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2021, 06:18:22 AM »
Most U2 songs are far superior to the studio version. I don't know why. It's like why isn't THAT version the studio version ?

They seem to be allergic to being a rock band on CD for some reason.

The guitar is in one channel and panned hard left. The drums are compressed and gated to hell and back so they sound like a drum machine.

Do they do it on purpose so that the songs sound better live by default ?

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a good album but the songs are so flat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2021, 08:20:17 AM »

The AIA version of Dante is lightyears better than the studio version.  To me, there's no comparison.

No way. All the atmosphere is lost and the keyboard parts are different.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2021, 11:35:49 PM »
Ayreon - Another Time, Another Space (just for the added section so Fish can have more parts to sing)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bobzor

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

The live version(s) of both songs totally destroy the studio versions. Some of the best moments in a live set from this band, for me.

Manowar - Manowar

The song, usually if not always the opening song of the live set, is much more powerful live than on Battle Hymns, partly due to the production on the album.

Most thrash metal works better live.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2021, 02:55:43 AM »
When I saw R.E.M. in 1995 - they played Drive. But it was full on rock. It was a different arrangement and sounded really cool.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2021, 03:36:39 AM »
UFO -- pretty much everything on Strangers in the Night

I was coming in to post this exact thing.

Judas Priest -- pretty much everything on Unleashed in the East

And this. And KISS Alive.

One song on LSFNY that really stands out to me is Through Her Eyes.

And from All The World's A Stage..I love In The End.

All those seminal 70s live albums. I’ll add Lizzy’s Live and Dangerous, Alive 2.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2021, 04:35:49 AM »
When I saw R.E.M. in 1995 - they played Drive. But it was full on rock. It was a different arrangement and sounded really cool.

Man, one of my favorite album openers off one of my favorite albums ever—that sounds amazing. Huge regret that I never saw REM live.

Offline JLa

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2021, 04:46:00 AM »
Symphony X did a live album 20 years ago (I can't believe it's been 20 years, I picked it up on release... ouch), "Live on the Edge of Forever". It has stuff from their albums up until "V". I think most of those live performances blow the originals out of the water. From the opener "Evolution (The Grand Design)" to the closing "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" - this live album has so much energy it's unreal. Wish I'd been there!

Offline kipkjustm

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2021, 05:08:51 AM »
Octavarium from Score is what really got me into the song. It went from a meh song for me to one I absolutely love

Metallica Seattle 89 for me is pretty much the definitive version of each song on there. They played with such an energy the studio versions didn't capture.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2021, 05:23:25 AM »
Symphony X did a live album 20 years ago (I can't believe it's been 20 years, I picked it up on release... ouch), "Live on the Edge of Forever". It has stuff from their albums up until "V". I think most of those live performances blow the originals out of the water. From the opener "Evolution (The Grand Design)" to the closing "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" - this live album has so much energy it's unreal. Wish I'd been there!
I didn't even know this exists,  I have to find a copy somehow.  Did they have Mike Lepond on bass at this point?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2021, 05:39:18 AM »

Man, one of my favorite album openers off one of my favorite albums ever—that sounds amazing. Huge regret that I never saw REM live.

You can look up the setlist on www.setlist.fm  It was June 1995 in Cardiff if i remember rightly. Anyway the Monster tour.

I'm sure there's video of the "electric" version of Drive.

Offline JLa

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2021, 06:05:45 AM »
I didn't even know this exists,  I have to find a copy somehow.  Did they have Mike Lepond on bass at this point?

Yeah, Lepond on bass.

It's on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Edge-Forever-Symphony-X/dp/B00005R8H0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PD9V4VCA8EBE&dchild=1&keywords=symphony+x+live+on+the+edge+of+forever&qid=1630670686&sprefix=symphony+x+live%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-1

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2021, 06:11:02 AM »

Yeah, Lepond on bass.

It's on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Edge-Forever-Symphony-X/dp/B00005R8H0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PD9V4VCA8EBE&dchild=1&keywords=symphony+x+live+on+the+edge+of+forever&qid=1630670686&sprefix=symphony+x+live%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-1

And it's on Spotify.  Just listened to it a few weeks back.  So good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2021, 07:00:34 AM »

I soured on a lot of the extra-curricular stuff around the band (the last time I saw them was like four days after Bush's re-election and Michael said it was the worst day of his life and he got booed, even though we're a very blue state), but when they played their instruments (and sang their songs) there were few bands of that genre and era that could touch them.   I saw them four times (including the first Georgia show after Bill left) and they were fire every time.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »

Yeah, Lepond on bass.

It's on Amazon:

And it's on Spotify.  Just listened to it a few weeks back.  So good.

That was the first Sym X album I bought.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »
I know I'm in the minority on this but I always prefer live versions of most of the bands I like. They're just so much more enjoyable

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2021, 06:40:50 PM »

Great call.  I have this one on CD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2021, 07:00:28 PM »
Van Halen - Live Without A Net
All of those 5150 songs are better live than on the record. The guitar parts are more raw without the rhythm parts he played under the solos.  Plus the extended solo for “5150” and the shorter version of Get Up.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?