Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 129229 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Patriots film crew on to Pittsburgh
« Reply #1890 on: December 17, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
NE has been struggling, but I think I'd put both them and KC ahead of Baltimore to make the superbowl and that's due to experience.  I wouldn't be surprised just as EB is saying, one bad game in the spotlight by Lamar and they can be beat.  I know BB can plan this, not sold on Reid being able to, but I think KC is really good and certainly has the talent and had their year of experience last year.  Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore made it, I just can see a hiccup happening in the playoffs due to inexperience.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1891 on: December 17, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Nice to see Brees get the TD record - and single game comp % record. Afterward I checked the Patriots fans forum and predictably there was a thread about how much Brees sucks. This is not to be confused with the threads about how Peyton Manning sucked and how Aaron Rodgers sucks. Incredibly paranoid and thin-skinned forum; if any QB other than Brady ever gets praised for any accomplishment they become incensed  :lol. Of course they compare Brees' and Brady's playoff records and conveniently ignore the vast difference in the quality of the defenses behind them. Just ignore the noise folks, Brees has been absolutely awesome and is an all-time great.

Were you beat up in high school by someone wearing a Patriot jersey or something?  Did someone named "Brady"hit on your girl at a school dance?   ;)

Any opportunity to shit on the Pats.  Predicable as an AC/DC record.

Pats fan here, and Brees is one of the best QBs to ever play the game, period.  Guy's amazing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1892 on: December 17, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
I like Brees. I do think playing in a dome has helped his numbers though.  It's Payton I think is overrated. Up until last year, the two of them averaged a 9-7 season. I think now it's up to 10-6, with 1 SB appearance and 3 CG appearances.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: December 17, 2019, 11:28:03 AM »
Bold prediction:  Ravens do not make the Super Bowl.

Who's going to knock them off? Buffalo is not going there and winning. Neither is NE. It can only be KC, and that'll be after beating NE in Foxboro.
Buffalo or NE could go there and beat them. This is a team built entirely around one player. You find a way to beat him, or he has a bad game, and BAL is very beatable. I'm not suggesting that it will happen, or even that it's likely, but simply that BAL isn't unbeatable and a good defense is what will make it happen.

Pretty much this.  I like Jackson, and I like Harbaugh (a lot, actually) but as great as Lamar Jackson is, he will not be the first "great" player that was stymied for 60 minutes - and that's all that it takes - in a playoff game.  Most recently, Patrick Mahomes II (by the Pats), Cam Newton (by the Broncos), Brees (by the Rams)...

Buffalo just played Baltimore pretty well.  I'm not suggesting that they're not one of the best teams in the league.  I'm suggesting that "any given Sunday". 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1894 on: December 17, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »
NE has been struggling, but I think I'd put both them and KC ahead of Baltimore to make the superbowl and that's due to experience.  I wouldn't be surprised just as EB is saying, one bad game in the spotlight by Lamar and they can be beat.  I know BB can plan this, not sold on Reid being able to, but I think KC is really good and certainly has the talent and had their year of experience last year.  Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore made it, I just can see a hiccup happening in the playoffs due to inexperience.
I wouldn't go so far as to put them ahead of KC and Baltimore. I just wouldn't rule them out. And Belichick can certainly craft a plan to take Jackson out of the game. They'll just have to execute, unlike how they did in their first matchup. While most saw it as the death knell for NE, I came away half way optimistic. NE made a bunch of stupid, uncharacteristic mistakes, essentially beating themselves. Otherwise they were halfway competitive. My money would probably still be on BAL, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the playoffs roll around and somebody schools them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1895 on: December 17, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
Brees (by the Refs)...

Fixed that for you  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1896 on: December 18, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
Triple header this Saturday! :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1897 on: December 18, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
Cowherd had an excellent point today as to why Russell Wilson is more valuable than Lamar Jackson: the Ravens have 12 Pro Bowlers; the Seahawks have two.

Now, I get that the Pro Bowl nominations are not the end-all, be-all, and it's funny seeing people lose their minds over Pro Bowl snubs, but it is very easy to argue that Wilson has been the most valuable player to his team this season.  He has one player considered great enough to make the Pro Bowl this season (besides himself), yet he has the Seahawks at 11-3 and currently the 1 seed in the NFC, the much tougher conference.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1898 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
...OR Bobby Wagner can rightly say that he is the rightful MVP when he has carried his team to 11-3 and the #1 seed in the NFC, the much tougher conference, when only having one other player considered great enough to make the Pro Bowl this season.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1899 on: December 18, 2019, 02:13:12 PM »
LOL, there is that argument as well.

I honestly think the 49ers will go into Seattle Week 17 and win the game to take back the division, but it won't be easy, especially since that will likely be the game that is flexed to Sunday night in Week 17, and Seattle usually plays really well in home night games, especially when they start pumping in that crowd noise and persuading refs to call interceptions touchdowns. :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1900 on: December 18, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
Depends on whether they can overcome the injuries.  It is ridiculous how many starters they have had go out this season, and it really caught up to them last week.  I don't know if they have the most injury-depleted roster in the league, but I'm sure they have the most depleted roster among playoff contenders.  But they are going to get some guys back in the not-too-distant future, so we'll see what happens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1901 on: December 18, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »

I honestly think the 49ers will go into Seattle Week 17 and win the game to take back the division, but it won't be easy, especially since that will likely be the game that is flexed to Sunday night in Week 17, and Seattle usually plays really well in home night games, especially when they start pumping in that crowd noise and persuading refs to call interceptions touchdowns. :P
I don't think there are night games in wk 17s. All Sunday afternoon games.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1902 on: December 18, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »

You are correct (and no Thursday or Monday games either).  Most of the games start at 10 a.m.  Three games (Raiders @ Broncoes, Cards @ Rams and 49ers @ Seahawks) start at 1:25 p.m.  Sadly for me, I'm likely to get stuck with having to watch the Cards/Rams game.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2019/REG17
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1904 on: December 18, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
Correct. It looks like they have the option to not flex anything if there are no games where both teams have playoff implications, but if there is, they will flex it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: December 18, 2019, 09:57:36 PM »
3 things I get giddy thinking about reading in December every year:

1) How the Grinch Stole Christmas
2) A Christmas Carol
3) The NFL Playoff tiebreaker procedures
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1906 on: December 19, 2019, 03:06:39 AM »
Depends on whether they can overcome the injuries.  It is ridiculous how many starters they have had go out this season, and it really caught up to them last week.  I don't know if they have the most injury-depleted roster in the league, but I'm sure they have the most depleted roster among playoff contenders.  But they are going to get some guys back in the not-too-distant future, so we'll see what happens.
I know they're getting Sherman back for the play-offs. I bet Sherman is gonna want to play against the Seahawks in week 17 though.  Seahawks are banged up too, Rishaad Penny is out for the season, their center is out for the time being, also Bobby Wagner is questionable with a ankle injury. Their starting corner is out too.   It should be a good game though, it will be close.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1907 on: December 19, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
So, that's four starters missing for the Seahawks.  The 49ers are missing close to 1/2 their starting lineup in all three phases of the game.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: December 19, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »

You are correct (and no Thursday or Monday games either).  Most of the games start at 10 a.m.  Three games (Raiders @ Broncoes, Cards @ Rams and 49ers @ Seahawks) start at 1:25 p.m.  Sadly for me, I'm likely to get stuck with having to watch the Cards/Rams game.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2019/REG17

You're weird.  It's 1:00 and 4:25, everyone knows that.

(I'm kidding; when I lived in Burbank the absolute BEST THING was waking up Sunday morning, making coffee and some breakfast, and sitting down to watch football.  Likewise, coming home from work and making dinner with the MNF game on.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1909 on: December 19, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
So, how likely to people think it is that we'll have an 8-8 division winner in the NFC East?  I was kinda hoping we'd get a 7-9 winner.  But unless I'm missing something, that's no longer possible with the way the schedule shakes out the last two weeks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1910 on: December 19, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
(I'm kidding; when I lived in Burbank the absolute BEST THING was waking up Sunday morning, making coffee and some breakfast, and sitting down to watch football.  Likewise, coming home from work and making dinner with the MNF game on.)

It's one reason I could never live in the eastern time zone.  Games not starting until 1 p.m. is weird, but evening games (football, regular season baseball in the Pacific time zone and playoff baseball) being scheduled so that they don't end until well after midnight would suck hard.

So, how likely to people think it is that we'll have an 8-8 division winner in the NFC East?  I was kinda hoping we'd get a 7-9 winner.  But unless I'm missing something, that's no longer possible with the way the schedule shakes out the last two weeks.

The best/worst you can hope for is a tie in the Cowboys v. Eagles game and that both teams lose their week 17 games, in which case they'd both finish 7-8-1 (and Dallas would win the division).  That said, I think an 8-8 division winner is as likely as the winner of this weekend's game also winning in week 17.  The game this weekend is in Philly, which gives the Eagles a bit of an advantage, but the Eagles play at New York in week 17, and the Cowboys are home to the Redskins.  If you just assume the home teams win all three games, then Dallas and Philly both finish at 8-8, and Dallas wins the division.

Remember that none of this is unprecedented.  As Steelers fans will remember, Denver won the AFC West in 2011 with an 8-8 record. Carolina won the NFC South in 2014 with a 7-8-1 record, and the Suckhawks won the NFC west in 2010 with a 7-9 record.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1911 on: December 19, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
This is turning into an excellent playoff hunt. Right now 9/12 playoff teams are 10-4 or better and we'll see some good H2Hs the next two weeks.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1912 on: December 21, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
I have not paying that much attention to this 100 greatest players thing the NFL is doing, but I did like seeing that neither Terrell Owens nor Cris Carter were chosen as one of the 10 wide receivers.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: December 21, 2019, 12:20:30 PM »
I am casually following it. I am not a football historian, so cannot really comment on anything pre-1980s, and don't want to get in to snubs. But I am a little shocked Jerry Kramer did not make the list. I always thought he was considered one of the best ever at that position.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1914 on: December 21, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
Am I the only one that wants to see the Bills completely stomp the Patriots?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1915 on: December 21, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
I have not paying that much attention to this 100 greatest players thing the NFL is doing, but I did like seeing that neither Terrell Owens nor Cris Carter were chosen as one of the 10 wide receivers.
WR they went heavier than usual with the oldtimers. Only five came from what we consider the modern era. That seems odd to me, and a couple of the old guys I'd never even heard of. That said, WR is probably the biggest talent pool of any position, so there are going to be some snubs.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: December 21, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
Am I the only one that wants to see the Bills completely stomp the Patriots?

I would eat the Cincinnati footage if Dream Team wasn't right there with you.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: December 21, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
WR they went heavier than usual with the oldtimers. Only five came from what we consider the modern era. That seems odd to me, and a couple of the old guys I'd never even heard of. That said, WR is probably the biggest talent pool of any position, so there are going to be some snubs.

Most of those are good; Paul Warfield is certainly worthy.  The only one I might question is Lance Alworth.  Great, but maybe not top ten of all time great. Lynn Swann?   Andre Reed?  Sterling Sharpe? Calvin Johnson?  I'd take Chris Carter, but not Terrell Owens.  Great ATHLETE, not a great RECEIVER, if you're asking me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: December 21, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
FYI, as someone that picked Houston, I LOVE Jameis Winston.

I can't believe that's Bruce Arians' first choice to lead his club.   He DOES NOT help your team; he taxes his defense with his turnovers.  They (the D) played very very well today.  That should have been worse. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1919 on: December 21, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
How's this for a new rule: Anytime somebody's doing some stupid end zone dance you're allowed to tackle him?
E.F. Benson

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1920 on: December 21, 2019, 07:29:08 PM »
How's this for a new rule: Anytime somebody's doing some stupid end zone dance you're allowed to tackle him?
I could get behind this!  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1921 on: December 21, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »

That Bills TD drove you nuts giving it to the fans I'd bet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1922 on: December 21, 2019, 11:34:22 PM »
Damn...don't think I can take another close game by the Niners...and we're at Seattle next week with the division on the line. Fuck.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1923 on: December 22, 2019, 07:46:17 AM »
I am sure injuries are not helping, but confidence in the 49ers defense cannot be high at all right now.  It looked so good early in the season, but for the last eight weeks, it has not been very good, except in the GB and Balt games.

I suspect it won't take long for the NFL to flex that game against Seattle to next Sunday night since it will be for the division title, no matter what the Seahawks do today.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Jameis Winston throwing interceptions at record pace
« Reply #1924 on: December 22, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
Kev, nailed it.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC