Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 125157 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Gruden prepping to take a kicker in 1st round
« Reply #350 on: May 14, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
I thought the problem was that they recorded the video. I mean, what did the judge agree to when he allowed cameras to be installed in the first place?
A mistake.

Whether they recorded or merely watched it in real time is irrelevant. The warrant was invalid, and as such nothing that came of it will be admissible. The common legal metaphor is that if the tree is poisoned then so is the fruit. Since the warrant was tainted, so is any information they gleaned from direct result of it. This means that for the sake of the trial the video evidence doesn't exist and they can't even make mention of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »
It affected those innocent people who legitimately went in for a massage.

I wonder who these people are  :lol
Bad johns. It's kind of a funny recurring theme when people are talking about Asian Massage Parlours. Anything the girl does is strictly voluntary and you're merely tipping her, unfortunately in advance. New guys will come in, leave some money on the counter, expect her to do whatever they want. The girl might have any number of reasons to not do anything other than the massage, and the punter isn't in a position to raise hell about it. If she thinks you're a cop you're definitely not going to get any play.

Or, maybe there are just people that enjoy massages from hot, naked Asian chicks.  :lol

And I've never stepped foot in an AMP for many reasons. I've simply read plenty of stories.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
And I've never stepped foot in an AMP for many reasons. I've simply read plenty of stories.

Those stories in the back of the girly mags actually do get read by some people?

;D
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »
Even worse then, the folks who pay for the it and don't get it  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »
Even worse then, the folks who pay for the it and don't get it  :lol

We've talked about this before, I think. I'm not really joking (maybe a little) but that's the main reason I've never set foot in an AMP.  I'd be far more bothered by the idea that I got taken than I would for getting a handy from a cute, naked Asian girl (who may or may not have done that several times already that day).  I'm a "whatever goes on between two consenting adults" kind of guy.

(And not to get political, but all the fervor over legalized weed?   Why aren't we doing the same thing for prostituion?  ALL the same arguments apply, more or less.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2019, 07:50:38 AM »
Oh I'm totally in favor of legalizing prostitution.  "If fucking is legal and selling is legal why isn't selling fucking legal"  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2019, 08:23:05 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/case-against-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-weakened-after-video-barred.html

Florida really only had one other means of effectively prosecuting him and it just flew out the window:
A woman accused of sexually servicing New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft indicated she would fight any effort to get her to testify against him, dealing another crippling blow to prosecutors’ case after a judge barred them from using as evidence videos allegedly showing Kraft receiving sex acts for pay.

The question now is if the video gets released, which is very likely why Bob went this route in the first place. My understanding is that since it was ruled unlawfully obtained that he could sue the police department right on into oblivion if they allowed it to reach the public. It's probably in their best interest to set fire to the thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
I’ve gotta learn to stop being optimistic. Every time the Jets start making a string of decisions that look like they could improve the team, I start to get my hopes up and then they go and do something stupid.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
I’ve gotta learn to stop being optimistic. Every time the Jets start making a string of decisions that look like they could improve the team, I start to get my hopes up and then they go and do something stupid.

Why did they fire the GM?  Seems like an odd time to do it unless they felt he fucked up the draft.  (as I look at the other GM in NY....)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »
Gruden prepping to take a kicker in 1st round?  Well, if the Raiders can't reach the endzone, they'll definitely need a good kicker.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:51 PM »
  "If fucking is legal and selling is legal why isn't selling fucking legal"  :lol

One of my favorite lines from George Carlin. The older and angrier he got, the better!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Yeah... the Jet's are redefining dysfunctional..... :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
If Goodell's head has been out of his ass for some air today he called for a drug test on Zeke Elliot ASAP. That boy was hopped up on something. People on pure air don't behave like that. I'd bet a fiver he tests positive for X.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »
If Goodell's head has been out of his ass for some air today he called for a drug test on Zeke Elliot ASAP. That boy was hopped up on something. People on pure air don't behave like that. I'd bet a fiver he tests positive for X.

What happened?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2019, 03:52:18 PM »

What happened?
He was stumbling around a rave at 0300 looking for trouble and kinda-sorta forced a member of the staff over a barricade. John Law saw it and cuffed him up, but the guy he assaulted didn't want to press charges.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Wentz gets paid
« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2019, 07:11:44 AM »
The Eagles extending the contract of Carson Wentz was not surprising, but considering he was unable to stay healthy the last two seasons, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
How long until we have the "Robert Griffin / Carson Wentz" radio show on ESPNRadio? 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #367 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:58 PM »
https://deadspin.com/patriots-accuse-texans-of-tampering-due-to-their-courts-1835464476

I would give anything if it were to turn out that Casario convinced Texans Dude that he was hot to join him in Houston so they'd fire their existing GM, only to turn around and drop a dime on him for talking out of turn.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »
RIP Pat Bowlen. Damn Hall of Fame screws up again. This man was long deserving of enshrinement and now won't experience it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
https://deadspin.com/patriots-accuse-texans-of-tampering-due-to-their-courts-1835464476

I would give anything if it were to turn out that Casario convinced Texans Dude that he was hot to join him in Houston so they'd fire their existing GM, only to turn around and drop a dime on him for talking out of turn.  :lol

Since when is O'Brien a lawyer?  "No, but yes, but relative only to matter not directly or indirectly related specifically to the Houston Texans or anything relatively related therein."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »

Since when is O'Brien a lawyer?  "No, but yes, but relative only to matter not directly or indirectly related specifically to the Houston Texans or anything relatively related therein."
I noticed that. I thought his actual answer was spot-on. He's no dummy.

I gave a cop an answer similar to that once, but with several more qualifiers, and the dude lost his freaking mind. I thought he was going to drop dead of an aneurysm right there on the side of the road. Most agitated cop I've ever seen.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
The talk is he does want out. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #372 on: June 14, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
The talk is he does want out.
I've seen talks both ways. He's in a real good spot right now. If a better one comes along then bully for him. Houston is not a better gig, though. Not by far. He'll be in the same position of being subordinate to a head coach. He'll be starting from a personnel group he had no control over selecting. And there's a very good possibility that that head coach is out on his ass in another year or two. I suppose if he just hates Bill (or Kraft) then I can see this as an improvement, but that seems unlikely. Moreover, Bill gives him a great deal of leeway. Not sure that'll be the case with O'Brien and the Jr. McNair.

In any case, the CW is that this is just NE trying to get a draft pick or two for him, which I'm pretty cool with. A GM oughtta be worth a good one.

And did you lose a bet or something?
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
I did. Same with my Twitter Avatar.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
RIP Pat Bowlen. Damn Hall of Fame screws up again. This man was long deserving of enshrinement and now won't experience it.

Agreed.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #375 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »
I don't know if this has ever happened before, but in week one Tom Brady will play against the son of a guy he played against 18 years ago. (Devin Bush Jr and Sr.)

Just an interesting factoid. 
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #377 on: July 16, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
Looks like Melvin Gordon and Zeke Elliot are the next running backs to overestimate their worth.  I can't blame them for wanting to get paid, but we're at the point where overpaying a RB is pure madness.  You overpay a great QB, or a stud pass rusher, or a great left tackle, or a stud linebacker, but you do not overpay a RB no matter how good they are.  Not in today's NFL.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2019, 08:18:08 AM »
Looks like Melvin Gordon and Zeke Elliot are the next running backs to overestimate their worth.  I can't blame them for wanting to get paid, but we're at the point where overpaying a RB is pure madness.  You overpay a great QB, or a stud pass rusher, or a great left tackle, or a stud linebacker, but you do not overpay a RB no matter how good they are.  Not in today's NFL.
I'm not sure Elliot is an overestimation. He's the team's MVP by a longshot. Since they're fixing to overpay Dak Prescott there's no telling how this will work out, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #379 on: July 17, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »
I'm not sure Elliot is an overestimation. He's the team's MVP by a longshot. Since they're fixing to overpay Dak Prescott there's no telling how this will work out, though.

While I agree that Elliot is more valuable than most RB's, he already has a lot of miles and touches over the years and plays a very physical style, so he is a RB that will likely fall off of the cliff earlier than most, not to mention that he seemingly does something stupid every off-season. Not sure I'd want to overpay a RB who is one inappropriate grab away from a long suspension.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: July 17, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »

While I agree that Elliot is more valuable than most RB's, he already has a lot of miles and touches over the years and plays a very physical style, so he is a RB that will likely fall off of the cliff earlier than most, not to mention that he seemingly does something stupid every off-season. Not sure I'd want to overpay a RB who is one inappropriate grab away from a long suspension.
You're right about the suspension part, and I'd certainly be using that in the negotiations. He really is a knucklehead. I wouldn't worry about age and number of touches right now, though. He's got 5 years left. After that is when I'd be afraid of signing the guy. Of course his agent already knows that, hence his posturing right now. I'm just thinking about it in terms of what he does to the rest of the team. They're going to give Dak a gazillion dollars, and we've already seen how good Dak is without a solid run game to play behind. To that end Z is the more important player.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #381 on: July 17, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
You're right about the suspension part, and I'd certainly be using that in the negotiations. He really is a knucklehead. I wouldn't worry about age and number of touches right now, though. He's got 5 years left. After that is when I'd be afraid of signing the guy. Of course his agent already knows that, hence his posturing right now. I'm just thinking about it in terms of what he does to the rest of the team. They're going to give Dak a gazillion dollars, and we've already seen how good Dak is without a solid run game to play behind. To that end Z is the more important player.

I mostly agree, but I just can't wrap my head around paying a RB as much he likely wants.  It is true that Dak cannot carry a team - we saw that in 2017 when he shit the bed during Zeke's 6-game suspension - but he is good enough to win with when everything around him is working.  Once they overpay Dak, they are in trouble.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #382 on: July 17, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
They should've learned their lesson when they overpaid Romo but like everything else in Dallas, history tends to repeat itself with the exception of championships over the last 22 years.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #383 on: July 17, 2019, 05:18:53 PM »

I mostly agree, but I just can't wrap my head around paying a RB as much he likely wants.  It is true that Dak cannot carry a team - we saw that in 2017 when he shit the bed during Zeke's 6-game suspension - but he is good enough to win with when everything around him is working.  Once they overpay Dak, they are in trouble.
I reckon they can sign him for 2 dollars over Gurley's deal, I guarantee that's the only thing that knucklehead cares about, and they'd be wise to jump on it. It's a fraction of what elite quarterbacks make and he's worth it to them. Moreover, by this time next year some idiot GM will have given some other RB a much bigger deal, and the price to keep him will be that much higher. The truth is that Dallas needs the guy and now's the time to buy. Plus, Jerry's got some pretty decent skills when it comes to stringing deals out. He doesn't know how to sign the right guys, but he knows how to sign the right contracts. In this case I think Z is the right guy.

edit:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #384 on: July 17, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
They should've learned their lesson when they overpaid Romo but like everything else in Dallas, history tends to repeat itself with the exception of championships over the last 22 years.

In all fairness though, Romo was a very good QB for most of his career - he was a legit MVP candidate a couple times and was usually in that 2nd or 3rd tier of best QB's in the league (5th to 12th best), while I doubt anyone except maybe a few Dallas homers would consider Dak any better than an average starter right now.

I reckon they can sign him for 2 dollars over Gurley's deal, I guarantee that's the only thing that knucklehead cares about, and they'd be wise to jump on it. It's a fraction of what elite quarterbacks make and he's worth it to them. Moreover, by this time next year some idiot GM will have given some other RB a much bigger deal, and the price to keep him will be that much higher. The truth is that Dallas needs the guy and now's the time to buy. Plus, Jerry's got some pretty decent skills when it comes to stringing deals out. He doesn't know how to sign the right guys, but he knows how to sign the right contracts. In this case I think Z is the right guy.

You might be right. 

The Chargers are crazy though if they cave and give Melvin Gordon a big deal.  Gordon is a good RB, and an above pass catching back, which is important in today's NFL, but he has missed games due to injury in three of his four seasons. 

The irony of both of these situations is that the Chargers and Cowboys have rosters that make both legit Super Bowl contenders this year, and both have their starting RB threatening to hold out.