Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 123917 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. R. Kraft & M. McCarthy visiting Asian spas together
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2019, 07:00:18 AM »
I think it's fair to say that McDaniels is one of the best OC's in the league and Brady has had him for most of his career. The Patriots have also had very good DC's the last few years with Patricia and Flores. These are 3 guys who all had teams champing at the bit to hire them as head coaches over the last few years...

Are the coordinators good? Sure. But as you say, McDaniels has had Brady. But all of these coordinators can do their job because they fall under the Belichick framework. How'd McDanields do as the Rams' OC?

What McDaniels has is a great relationship with probably the best QB ever, working under the best coach ever. He also has a HOF OL coach. The jury is still out on McDaniels on what he can accomplish on his own. I'm not saying he doesn't do a great job for the Patriots, but why wold anyone think that would translate across the league?

And there's been many years, last year among them, where they don't even have an official DC.

Well, I'm of the opinion that "being a great coordinator" doesn't mean "being a great head coach".   There are a 100 exceptions, of course, but it's not a given.     

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2019, 05:06:09 PM »

Quote from: Danny Etling
It was one of the more reckless thing's I've seen in my life.
   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: April 17, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »
I think it's fair to say that McDaniels is one of the best OC's in the league and Brady has had him for most of his career. The Patriots have also had very good DC's the last few years with Patricia and Flores. These are 3 guys who all had teams champing at the bit to hire them as head coaches over the last few years...

Are the coordinators good? Sure. But as you say, McDaniels has had Brady. But all of these coordinators can do their job because they fall under the Belichick framework. How'd McDanields do as the Rams' OC?

What McDaniels has is a great relationship with probably the best QB ever, working under the best coach ever. He also has a HOF OL coach. The jury is still out on McDaniels on what he can accomplish on his own. I'm not saying he doesn't do a great job for the Patriots, but why wold anyone think that would translate across the league?

And there's been many years, last year among them, where they don't even have an official DC.

Well, I'm of the opinion that "being a great coordinator" doesn't mean "being a great head coach".   There are a 100 exceptions, of course, but it's not a given.   

Oh, I agree with that distinction, but all I'm saying is that McDaniels is in THE PERFECT spot for all of the reasons I listed. Should he be named the OC for..whoever, I have no idea how he'll do.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »

What McDaniels has is a great relationship with probably the best QB ever,

When did McDaniels work with Peyton Manning??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #284 on: April 17, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
That debate is over good sir. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: April 17, 2019, 05:35:56 PM »
You Boston fells are so easily triggered.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »

What McDaniels has is a great relationship with probably the best QB ever,

When did McDaniels work with Peyton Manning??

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
You Boston fells are so easily triggered.  :biggrin:

Love you too.  Lol

Btw, proof now that Gronk was the deflator.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »
I suspect Gronk will have an epic Hall of Fame speech in five years.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »

How did the Patriots do without him when he left for the Denver job though? Do you think it's just a coincidence that they went one and done in the playoffs twice in a row, then made it all the way back to the Super Bowl once they brought him back as OC? Sure he has one of the greatest QBs of all time and the greatest coach of all time, but I think he deserves a lot more credit for what he's done with that team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
That 2009 team is generally considered the most toxic locker room in the Belichick Era.

Look, I'm not say he deserves NO credit. I'm not even saying that he's not good. He obviously does a great job here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »

How did the Patriots do without him when he left for the Denver job though? Do you think it's just a coincidence that they went one and done in the playoffs twice in a row, then made it all the way back to the Super Bowl once they brought him back as OC? Sure he has one of the greatest QBs of all time and the greatest coach of all time, but I think he deserves a lot more credit for what he's done with that team.
With all due respect to JMD, I think it has more to do with the system and the organization's way of doing things. You look back over the last 15 years and you see a lot of assistants do a bang up job at the task they're assigned, often to be courted by other teams where they move on to and suck. Dante Scarnecchia might be the most valuable asst in the league. How many running backs have had success under Ivan Fears and went on to suck elsewhere? Or taken the reverse route, like Corey Dillon? I think TAC is right about working within the framework.

Where I differ is that I suspect JMD is going to be a very good HC. What he's learned from Bill is immeasurable, and he's already experienced the pressure of being The Man.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
I think getting that first experience as a HC will definitely benefit him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
Anytime there is big changes like the Pats had in the late 2000's your play will struggle a little bit.  But imagine still never being under 10 wins?

That's because of the QB and the Head Coach.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2019, 07:00:14 AM »
Tickets secured for the Browns at the Jets, and the Browns hosting the Rams in the following game. (Damn, I passionately hate using the secondary market but it's tricky when you live in the UK and have a holiday to book around it.)

Loved the road game against the Saints last year so figured we'd do something similar this year. We drove from Cleveland to New Orleans which was good fun. So much fun, actually, that we decided in future years we'd allow the schedule to dictate to us. Slightly disappointing the most compatible weekend for us is the Jets but hey, we'll find some fun on the road trip to Cleveland, whether we head off towards Washington and back up, or whether we loop north.

Indians are at home, too, so we'll take in a game. Did that last year for the first time, thought it was a cracking experience.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:05 AM »
Anytime there is big changes like the Pats had in the late 2000's your play will struggle a little bit.  But imagine still never being under 10 wins?

2002 down? :P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »

That’s also the only season with Brady as the starter where the Pats missed the playoffs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »

2002 up.  Are you going to play semantics on this player and coach run of never being .500?

You know I know the #'s sucka!😂😂

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »
Are we about the get the Robert Kraft sex tape? :lol what has this world come to, please keep this out of public eye for all our sake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6940367/Robert-Kraft-sex-tape-leaks-online-footage-shopped-multiple-outlets.html

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
Are we about the get the Robert Kraft sex tape? :lol what has this world come to, please keep this out of public eye for all our sake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6940367/Robert-Kraft-sex-tape-leaks-online-footage-shopped-multiple-outlets.html

Unfortunately, many reserve their outrage for video evidence.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
It's amazing the vitriol from the people and the county.  I'm not saying Kraft didn't do it.  Of course he got a tug and more.  They went for the home run linking sex trafficking.  They they botched the warrant and there was no sex ring.  Some would say money allows Kraft to fight but I say his popularity is what is making the people overstretch their bounds.

How many videos have you seen of a misdemeanor?  Most of the time they drop the charges and go after the spa's only to shut them down.  This can happen to the common man and we should be worried.  Give him a damn fine privately, make him do community service quietly and call it a damn day.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »
How did they botch the warrant? I personally think the issuance of sneak and peak warrants to go after trivial offenders is bullshit, but such is life in the police state. They are legal and I havne't heard of any issues with it other than it was an overreach, though.

As for the outcome, I believe the fine and community service has been on the table. Moreover, that's what it's going to come down to anyway. My hunch is that Kraft is just trying to maintain some plausible deniability. based on the the people who will judge him he likely thinks it's better to be convicted while maintaining his innocence than to plead guilty. Because it's Florida the video was going to be public no matter what he did.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
Kraft's legal team states it was illegally secured.

https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3308145002?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F03%2F29%2Frobert-kraft-sex-spa-case-video-patriot-act%2F3308145002%2F

The judge took the video home to look and rule if it's admissible.   If not then they'll go with the word of the workers at the spa.
Yeah, that ain't gonna fly. There's nothing that says sneak and peaks can only be used for certain offenses. More importantly, while the cop probably did embellish his application for the warrant, "oops, my bad" is generally all it takes to get around Mapp nowadays. This has good faith exception written all over it.

Some day a person will challenge these warrants all the way to the SCOTUS. The Man has claimed the authority to sneak into your house and place cameras everywhere because he thinks you might be selling quarter bags of grass. There's really no argument to be made where that passes strict scrutiny. Bob certainly has the money to do it, but I don't think he'd be a particularly good test case. Nor do I think this court would be particularly friendly to the fourth and fourteenth amendments here.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
Oh I agree.  They will even leak it which shouldn't happen.  I'll assume with Florida law it will be released April 29th after the court date and found admissible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2019, 05:41:25 PM »
Kraft's legal team states it was illegally secured.

https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3308145002?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F03%2F29%2Frobert-kraft-sex-spa-case-video-patriot-act%2F3308145002%2F

The judge took the video home to look and rule if it's admissible.   If not then they'll go with the word of the workers at the spa.

"The Patriot Act was supposed to be about stopping terrorism, not rub and tugs.”"   

That made me laugh.  Democracy, manifest! 

Though, this line rubbed me the wrong way (pun absolutely, fully intended):  "The affidavit also stated “a presumptive test of the napkins recovered for the presence of seminal fluid” after a search of the spa’s garbage."  What kind of operation are they running there?  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »

Someone called sports radio last week and said that if they had a 14" dick, then hell yes release it! :lol
There's a reason he doesn't want it released! :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #307 on: April 23, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »
So does anybody have an predictions for the draft? Will AZ really draft Murray or is it a smokescreen? Which QB does NY take? Will Gruden squander his bounty or will he make it work?

My hunch is that NE moves up to draft somebody. They have a lot more picks than they do roster and cap space. The alternative is that they trade some of them for picks next year, but given their propensity for gaining compensatory picks that's probably just perpetuating a cycle. That said, they're probably not going to be in a position to grab Hockenson, and I don't know as any of the QBs or WRs will be worth the move up.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
If NE trades up, it would be to draft a defensive player, I think.  Belichick knows he sucks at drafting WR's, and the hissy fit Brady would throw if they took a QB early is probably not a headache Bill wants to deal with at this point.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
Who cares what Brady thinks but in the end do they go for a few more years or the future?

Honestly,  who has ever predicted correctly how BB picks? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2019, 06:49:50 PM »
I honestly cannot think of anything les interesting than the draft.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
Thin Lizzy albums are probably slightly less interesting.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
I honestly cannot think of anything les interesting than the draft.

For you Pat fans with late 1st round draft pics, it makes sense to not be interested.  I was more interested in the draft last year then ever before because the Giants had a top pick for the first time since they drafted Eli (which is the time I started becoming a fan of the NFL).  This year the Giants have a couple picks but with so much endless possibilities it's not worth my time or interest to figure them all out.    Also watching the draft may be the most boring thing on TV that night.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Gruden prepping to take a kicker in 1st round
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
I was certainly familiar with Mr. Irrelevant, but I'd never heard of the Lowsman Trophy before.  :lol

E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Gruden prepping to take a kicker in 1st round
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
Is that for the last man selected?   I'd love that trophy.  :)