Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124751 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Free Agent Madness
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »
No surprise there.  You knew it was something bad.  What an idiot.

Yea, when you quit a job you've been striving for since leaving the NFL as a head coach to go back to college for "being with family" it certainly sounds like something bad, but that is still speculation at this point.

Schiano was also a coach at Penn State when Sandusky was there and like many other PSU assistants, they got tagged as "enabling a pedophile" even if they had no real relationship to him, it's kind of like a stain.  I wonder if something about knowng about Sandusky could be related too.  A lof of those guys said they had no idea, but maybe they did.  It's just a very sudden shift for him to not think something bad is about to come out.

Or he could have just also been at Orchids of Asia

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2019, 05:13:24 PM »
So Greg Schiano drops out of the Patriots DC position after getting hired to spend time with his family, but this comes the same day as Zach Smith says he is releasing a podcast about I guess his time at OSU where he coached with Schiano before he was fired over the summer for alleged domestic abuse that maybe the school knew about and looked the other way.  Essentially it makes me wonder if he is about to rub some dirt on Schiano that is going to make him want to get out of the public light, now. 

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/ex-ohio-state-assistant-zach-smith-set-to-release-new-podcast-warns-no-one-is-safe/

No one is safe. I don’t care about anybody. Everyone is going to know what really happened.
yikes I wonder what this guy has to say about the Ohio State scandal and who it might impact.
That guy sounds like a grievance collector. If the only thing he's going to do is out some people then that's a good thing. People like him are often the types that shoot up their workplace or crash a plane full of people.

And I was thinking about Schiano this morning. I was concerned about him as the new DC. He's an established guy brought aboard because he has a way of doing things. I'm not sure how that would work with Bill's way of doing things. I prefer the guys that come up internally. Or at least people who know their place. However, it occurred to me that Schiano might have been a big piece of Bill's exit strategy. It seems pretty reasonable that he was supposed to be the defensive heir apparent after a year or two of learning the Patriots way of doing things. Alongside JMD that could have been a very formidable duo.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »
Josh McDaniels can't believe that Greg Schiano bailed on a job that soon after agreeing to take it. #jimromeshtick

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2019, 01:31:14 AM »
Josh McDaniels can't believe that Greg Schiano bailed on a job that soon after agreeing to take it. #jimromeshtick

At least he was there longer than BB was with the Jets...  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
Something about Schiano rubs me the wrong way though, even though I can't put my finger on it.

Oh, and it's to spend time on his FAITH and his family.   I feel like that might be significant.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2019, 08:02:17 AM »

At least he was there longer than BB was with the Jets...  :lol
Yeah, but neither of them get the style points that Bill did for the napkin thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
I resign as the HC to the NYJ.....

Just weird timing to say the least on Schiano.  With Bill you knew he resigned to get out of shadow of Bill Parcells.  Create his own path.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »

Just weird timing to say the least on Schiano.  With Bill you knew he resigned to get out of shadow of Bill Parcells.  Create his own path.

I've always wondered how and why that went down the way it did. That's as good of an explanation as any.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »

I've always wondered how and why that went down the way it did. That's as good of an explanation as any.
That's certainly some of it. The reality is that it was a no-brainer for any number of reasons. Kraft was going to give him stability and a great amount of control over personnel. The Jets offered neither. Not to mention they were for sale and who knows what happens when the next guy come in. He might have been passing up a great opportunity for a one year stint with a shitty team.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
Jets new look is dropping tomorrow.  Rumor is a combo of a lighter green and black. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
By "new look" I thought you were going to say they were going to go with a quality QB, competitive team, and a winning record. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2019, 11:39:00 PM »
By "new look" I thought you were going to say they were going to go with a quality QB, competitive team, and a winning record.

Why mess with tradition?  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »

He said "new look," not a complete overhaul. :P :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »
yikes....not a good look for the Packers, total dysfunction on all levels......

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
yikes....not a good look for the Packers, total dysfunction on all levels......

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

I read that last night, and very little of it surprised me. 

After years of saying that McCarthy was a boring and unimaginative play caller, I felt vindicated after reading that. :P 

As for Rodgers, I think we have known for a while that he is a sensitive diva. He had better do well and succeed under this new coach, or else the "he doesn't like to be coached" tag will be attached to him forever.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
Man, that was a bigger mess than last year's New England story.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »

....and still win the whole damn thing.  What does that say about the other 31 teams?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »

....and still win the whole damn thing.  What does that say about the other 31 teams?
They suck?

Seriously, I know that I would offer that all dysfunction is not created equally.  Fleetwood Mac are notoriously dysfunctional and yet, Rumours is one of the greatest albums ever produced.   Ground Zero was notoriously dysfunctional and, well, if I didn't tell you who they were you wouldn't know (we didn't even get to a recording studio, let alone an album).

I think the biggest difference between the two is that the Patriot dysfunction wasn't allowed on the field.     

Offline pg1067

« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
Ground Zero was notoriously dysfunctional and, well, if I didn't tell you who they were you wouldn't know (we didn't even get to a recording studio, let alone an album).

If you'd only had a better bass player.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. R. Kraft & M. McCarthy visiting Asian spas together
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2019, 08:46:09 PM »
So Russell Wilson has laid it down that he won't sign a long-term deal with the Seahawks after today, and wants a long-term contract with his salary based on a % of the annual salary cap.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #265 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
So Russell Wilson has laid it down that he won't sign a long-term deal with the Seahawks after today, and wants a long-term contract with his salary based on a % of the annual salary cap.
The deadline is silly. He's not going to turn down the contract he wants a week from now. As for the demands, it sucks pretty hard, but if it's not Seattle it'll be some other schmuck. There's always some idiot willing to blaze a new path to the bottom. Seattle's going to have to suck it up and pay him. If I owned the team I'd pay him what he's expecting to get, but only with the provision that he legally changes his name to Hey Asshole for as long as he reaming on the team.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
So never mind about that whole % of the salary cap thing. Team will be good but not great for the rest of his duration here, he will leave after this contract is up for however much more money the new CBA will allow, and hopefully the team will have a replacement ready to jump in at that point.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #267 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
People like him really make me appreciate Brady all the more. He's also in extension country right now, and he'll sign something favorable for the team. He could ask for the fricking moon and he'd get it, but he won't. Players hit a point years ago where they're getting "set for life" money x3. It was never about that, though. It was about making more than somebody else. I don't think anybody would argue that Brady should be the highest paid quarterback in the league, but he won't demand it, and not because he doesn't need it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: April 16, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
How insecure are these losers who need to be "the highest paid xx in the league" for like 2 months until someone else signs a bigger deal? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
How insecure are these losers who need to be "the highest paid xx in the league" for like 2 months until someone else signs a bigger deal?

I think some of their insecurities is what drives them to be good, having said that, I think they fail to see the big picture.  It's not all about the money, and I mean that in life in general.  I admire Brady for being a team player.  Also some players like running backs I think have a better point in getting paid since their years of big money are fairly thin.  QBs should take less cause their lifespans in the league are longer and they shouldn't hamper their teams salary cap as the leader.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: April 16, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »
People like him really make me appreciate Brady all the more. He's also in extension country right now, and he'll sign something favorable for the team. He could ask for the fricking moon and he'd get it, but he won't. Players hit a point years ago where they're getting "set for life" money x3. It was never about that, though. It was about making more than somebody else. I don't think anybody would argue that Brady should be the highest paid quarterback in the league, but he won't demand it, and not because he doesn't need it.

I am sure Daddy Kraft takes cares of him with a little extra off the books, and his wife makes more than he does, so that does make it awfully easy for him to not demand the highest QB contract.

That said, I agree that quarterbacks asking for the moon does hurt the team's ability to built a great team around them.  In the case of Russell Wilson, he was woefully underpaid early in his career and he is a great QB, so it's not like he doesn't deserve to get paid big time, but I am surprised he went this route, to be honest. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2019, 06:52:09 PM »
Daddy Kraft can only get him handjobs Kev. Come on now.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
It's much easier to be a "team player" when you have the luxuries that Brady does. Wilson's situation is not comparable for several reasons. I don't blame him for approaching this in the way he did because he's a top 5 player at the most important position in the NFL at the young age of 30. Seattle did what they had to do to give themselves the best possible chance at being a legitimate contender for the next 4 seasons. I think it was a win-win for both parties (not to mention the fans, who must be relieved). If anyone deserves that kind of money, it's Wilson.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
Brady did that before meeting a supermodel.   He took less.  That does not work here.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
That's really not what I was getting at... I was implying that it's easier to make a team friendly deal when you're playing for the best coach in NFL history. I'm not trying to take anything away from Brady's greatness, but at this point it's really difficult to argue against him having the best situation for any QB in the entire NFL. He is consistently surrounded by an elite coaching staff and a great supporting cast (offensively and defensively). It's hard to say the same for Wilson, considering how much that team has changed since that SB loss to the Patriots. The one constant is Wilson keeping that team competitive, regardless of his supporting cast. Again, he's also only 30 years old and one of the most gifted players in the NFL.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
The line of thinking that Brady takes less because his wife makes a lot of money is fucking stupid. He has ALWAYS taken team friendly deals. He was always more about football and winning that making every last dollar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
That's really not what I was getting at... I was implying that it's easier to make a team friendly deal when you're playing for the best coach in NFL history. I'm not trying to take anything away from Brady's greatness, but at this point it's really difficult to argue against him having the best situation for any QB in the entire NFL. He is consistently surrounded by an elite coaching staff and a great supporting cast (offensively and defensively). It's hard to say the same for Wilson, considering how much that team has changed since that SB loss to the Patriots. The one constant is Wilson keeping that team competitive, regardless of his supporting cast. Again, he's also only 30 years old and one of the most gifted players in the NFL.

He has Belichick. And Scarnechia, the Offensive Line coach. Other than that coaching staff has been, and is currently hardly elite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:25 PM »
I think it's fair to say that McDaniels is one of the best OC's in the league and Brady has had him for most of his career. The Patriots have also had very good DC's the last few years with Patricia and Flores. These are 3 guys who all had teams champing at the bit to hire them as head coaches over the last few years...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:01:04 PM by Rattlehead »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:44 PM »
Saying that it's easier for Brady kind of misses the point. In the case of Russel Wilson we're talking about the difference between a team friendly 100 million and a Me friendly 140 million. Does anybody think Wilson would have taken 110? 120? And this is on top of the 72 million he'd already made. It's about the status and the team be damned.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2019, 06:34:15 AM »
I think it's fair to say that McDaniels is one of the best OC's in the league and Brady has had him for most of his career. The Patriots have also had very good DC's the last few years with Patricia and Flores. These are 3 guys who all had teams champing at the bit to hire them as head coaches over the last few years...

Are the coordinators good? Sure. But as you say, McDaniels has had Brady. But all of these coordinators can do their job because they fall under the Belichick framework. How'd McDanields do as the Rams' OC?

What McDaniels has is a great relationship with probably the best QB ever, working under the best coach ever. He also has a HOF OL coach. The jury is still out on McDaniels on what he can accomplish on his own. I'm not saying he doesn't do a great job for the Patriots, but why wold anyone think that would translate across the league?

And there's been many years, last year among them, where they don't even have an official DC.