Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 123915 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2019 NFL Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
John Elway is officially senile. :facepalm:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »

Is this trying to go to the well too many times?  "Hey, I won two Super Bowls at the twilight of my career, we won one with Peyton on his last leg, let's go for three!!!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/dak-prescott-cites-gisele-bundchen-reason-not-give-cowboys-tom-brady-discount-010836103.html

Not sure what to make of this.   Gut says, I don't like it, for several reasons (none of which have anything to do with throwing shade at "my boy Tom").   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
While I don't begrudge guys wanting to get paid, quarterbacks who insist on their team breaking the bank to sign them care more about getting paid than winning.  If your QB makes a zillion dollars, good luck keeping them surrounded with enough talent to win consistently. 

Also, I agree with what Cowherd said about this the other day. There are two things you don't talk about when it comes to other players: their wives and their money.  And Prescott talked about both. :facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »

If he thinks that, without improving the offensive line, Flacco is a significant upgrade over Keenum, he sure is.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dak-prescott-cites-gisele-bundchen-reason-not-give-cowboys-tom-brady-discount-010836103.html

Not sure what to make of this.   Gut says, I don't like it, for several reasons (none of which have anything to do with throwing shade at "my boy Tom").   

Aside from the whole maximize your salary versus improve your team debate, that is a phenomenally dumbass thing to say.

Also, over the past 10 seasons, a team with a top 5 highest paid quarterback (based on salary cap value) was more likely to miss the playoffs than make the playoffs (21 of 50 made the playoffs).  Of the 21, 14 were named Brady, Manning, Brees or Roethlisberger.  Not once during that time did the highest paid QB win the Super Bowl, and only once (Peyton Manning in SB44) did the highest QB even make it to the Super Bowl.

Source:  www.overthecap.com
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
While I don't begrudge guys wanting to get paid, quarterbacks who insist on their team breaking the bank to sign them care more about getting paid than winning.  If your QB makes a zillion dollars, good luck keeping them surrounded with enough talent to win consistently. 
Yup. I got into an argument with my commie brother, a Saints fan, about this a few years ago. "Drew Brees should squeeze every fucking cent he can out of the Benson's!" Well, he kind of is. He's making more than 20 million a year. ""How is he supposed to throw the ball if he doesn't have any time because his line sucks!" Well, yeah. Good question.  :lol All of this because I suggested he should take a cap friendly deal when he was being a hardass.

And Dak should worry about his own contract. He needs to step it up if he wants to make the money he thinks he should.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »

And Dak should worry about his own contract. He needs to step it up if he wants to make the money he thinks he should.

Given the man crush Jerry Jones has on him, he probably figures he's gonna get paid no matter what.  And he's probably right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »

Given the man crush Jerry Jones has on him, he probably figures he's gonna get paid no matter what.  And he's probably right.

Which is why we won't have to worry about Dallas playing too deep into the winter any time soon. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
Dak is an odd one in that he looks shaky at times, and rarely plays a great full 60 minutes, but give him the ball at the end with the game on the line and he just finds a way to make plays.

Offline max_security

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
I had imagined Flacco just being cut and calling it a day , son of a gun Denver huh. I wish him the best I suppose , he sure can throw when he is motivated.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »
Do you think Denver remembers this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1D8vMiI

We saw the kid as a junior as a Blue Hen when my stepdaughter attended Delaware.  Took them to the 1AA title game, beat Navy, ...stunned and quite happy when the Ravens drafted him.  We have tons of good, tons of not so good, and, well....if him and his agent would have taken a smaller salary while dissing on the pretext of 'I just want to win' BS, Baltimore would have fared much better under his contract.

That said, we loved the guy, overlooked his flaws because he WAS a winner.  I mentioned months ago that it was time to move on.  Don't care to discuss or debate the 'elite' crap (because he wasn't).  But he was the best this town had seen since Bert Jones and that guy with the crew cut that came before him.

I had surgery a few months before this play, jumped higher than I had in years and reinjured myself.  Oh, the sweet agony!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRYZOuXHrA

I just replayed the winning kick in that game.....and this old man jumped out of his chair and got tears in his eyes again.  Equals the Detroit Tigers winning the WS in 68 and 84, Magic and Kelser and Jud winning the NCAA in '79, certain Central Michigan wins, and wins by Bo over Woody, along with the Ravens win over the Pats and then the SB (plus all those wins after agonizing losses against the Steelers during Joe's years).  I never came close to having those moments as a Lions fan in Michigan.  Probably won't again due to 'stuff'. But, damn, what a weird ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjNHz3IqkUI
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:36:55 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »
Do you think Denver remembers this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1D8vMiI

>:( >:( >:(

Absolutely abysmal defense on that play.  I was screaming "NO!!!!!!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
I just know what play it is and refuse to watch. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »

Which is why we won't have to worry about Dallas playing too deep into the winter any time soon.

Same thing happened with Tony Romo.  JJ paid him too much too soon.  It's the kiss of death.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
Any thoughts on the NFL and Kaepernick/Reid settlement? 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26004808/everything-know-nfl-joint-collusion-grievance-settlement-colin-kaepernick-eric-reid

Not sure what to think personally.  Part of me says if he really felt like he was standing for something against the NFL, he wouldn't settle, but without knowing details, it's really hard to come to that conclusion.  Also, I can't blame someone for taking a huge paycheck from the NFL to just go away even if trying to stand for something.  Money talks.  I'm also assuming they got paid, I think that seems likely but can't even say that for sure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 03:09:08 PM »
Oh they got paid alright. Though we'll never learn the amount due to NDAs I bet.

I know the NFL, and the 32 teams are not businesses in the traditonal sense, as they have Anti-Trust Exemptions and other aspects that keep them from being Amazon, or the Mom and Pop grocery store down the street. On the surface I feel like a business should be free to hire, or not hire, whomever they want. I know there are EEOC issues, but I don't think being a SJW qualifies as a "Protected Class." If an owner decides not to hire someone that they feel would be bad for their business, I can't fully oppose that line of thinking. If they'd rather have a crap QB who isn't going to potentially negatively affect ticket sale, that is their right. No one is entitled to a job in the NFL.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
Any thoughts on the NFL and Kaepernick/Reid settlement? 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26004808/everything-know-nfl-joint-collusion-grievance-settlement-colin-kaepernick-eric-reid

Not sure what to think personally.  Part of me says if he really felt like he was standing for something against the NFL, he wouldn't settle, but without knowing details, it's really hard to come to that conclusion.  Also, I can't blame someone for taking a huge paycheck from the NFL to just go away even if trying to stand for something.  Money talks.  I'm also assuming they got paid, I think that seems likely but can't even say that for sure.

Yeah, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.  It may very well just have been about the money.  But we don't know.  To play devil's advocate, here's another scenario:  Kaep has a lousy case that he would probably lose, and he and his representation know that. So rather than the risk to his "cause" about taking a public loss, he (and the NFL) gets to save face by settling and walking away. Even though he can't discuss the details, he is still in control of the narrative instead of the narrative being "Kaepernick lost."

I know there are EEOC issues, but I don't think being a SJW qualifies as a "Protected Class."

Well, no, but protesting a civil right is a "protected activity" that an employee cannot be retaliated against because of.  And there are arguably collective bargaining rights that could be violated by league-wide collusion as well.  That doesn't mean his rights to do what he wants on "company time" cannot be restricted.  But this is a very different set of facts, and there are a lot of competing interests at play.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Mr. Big Chest on the trade block
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
With all that has come out this week, I feel vindicated when I suggested a while back that Ben Roethlisberger was not a good leader.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »
So, doesn't repeatedly insisting that your star running back is healthy when he can barely play constitute tampering or something?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/we-finally-know-why-todd-gurley-disappeared-in-the-super-bowl/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
With all that has come out this week, I feel vindicated when I suggested a while back that Ben Roethlisberger was not a good leader.

Multiple upper echelon and many hall of fame players have shared a locker room with him, and the only one that has had anything to say in any kind of negative light is Hines Ward. And his commentary was equally as damning against AB.

Ben isn't a saint by any means, but he's far from being the low-life that the haters paint him as being.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
"Low-life" and "not a good leader" are not the same thing.  He could be one or the other, neither, or both.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
Multiple upper echelon and many hall of fame players have shared a locker room with him, and the only one that has had anything to say in any kind of negative light is Hines Ward. And his commentary was equally as damning against AB.

Ben isn't a saint by any means, but he's far from being the low-life that the haters paint him as being.

Hines Ward and now Antonio Brown.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Big Chest has handled this extremely poorly and is not free of blame, but Roethlisberger's flaws as a leader are pretty glaring now. 

Also, has anyone here called him a low-life lately?  I said "lately" because I am sure he was called that back when he was dealing with the rape accusation.

So, doesn't repeatedly insisting that your star running back is healthy when he can barely play constitute tampering or something?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/we-finally-know-why-todd-gurley-disappeared-in-the-super-bowl/

I am sure they will get fined for it, but as I have said many times, I have no problem with a team hiding how injured a player is. Why tell the other team if and how hurt one of your stars is?  The NFL only gives a crap because of Vegas and the effect it has on gambling.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »

Hines Ward and now Antonio Brown.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Big Chest has handled this extremely poorly and is not free of blame, but Roethlisberger's flaws as a leader are pretty glaring now. 

Also, has anyone here called him a low-life lately?  I said "lately" because I am sure he was called that back when he was dealing with the rape accusation.

Name me 5 (just a number that I picked out of my head for no good reason) successful players at his position playing in the NFL right now without any leadership flaws.

If he wasn't playing for a successful franchise that garners a ton of attention then nobody would bat an eye.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »

Name me 5 (just a number that I picked out of my head for no good reason) successful players at his position playing in the NFL right now without any leadership flaws.

If he wasn't playing for a successful franchise that garners a ton of attention then nobody would bat an eye.

Where did I say that other successful quarterbacks have no leadership flaws? I'll hang up and listen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 06:03:27 PM »
Well Tom Brady.  He's dreamy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »

Flawless. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
Howdy Amigos.....  Forgive me please for not posting sooner.  After the game, we were pretty frikken bummed to say the least.  We of course realized... the potential for disappointment in going to the big game.  I've purposely distanced myself in the aftermath a bit to kinda catch my breath.  Going to the game was a fantastic experience...as was the whole weekend/experience.  We attended the game with 4 everyday friends, and 8 other Forum friends.  The weekend was brilliant overall.  Especially Saturday afternoon and evening where we enjoyed the NFL Experience and surrounding activities.  Including a fantastic gathering at a local downtown Atlanta bar sponsored by multiple Rams booster clubs, and Los Angeles NBC news.

Game day was also a blast... Being ticket holders we had free access to the NFL experience, which was super cool!  From there we filed into the gorgeous new Mercedes Benz stadium.  Now mind you... anything compared to the LA Coliseum is going to be an upgrade  :lol.  Still!!  The stadium had some really epic views, and the concessions were great!  Also....  I have to seriously give it up to the city of Atlanta.  They stepped up to the plate BIG TIME!!!  Everything we did during the weekend was so seamless and secure because of the planning and support.  From the MARTA (metro train) through the whole downtown area, everything was covered by volunteers and support staff.  Everywhere we turned, someone was there cheerful and willing to direct and help you.

The game itself, of course to us was a disappointment because of the outcome.  Funny though... talking to folks around us, we thought the game was extremely exciting and tense.  At the same time we were saying... "Man.. the folks watching on TV must be finding this game boring as fuck!" .  But live?  it was an epic defensive battle. Yeah... I woulda rather had a shoot out...lol...but.

At the end of the day.... I was horrible at photo-documenting everything.  I took more vids than pics (and I don't know how to store and upload vids to this site)  But here are a few pics from the weekend.

Myself and Fred Roggin... our Local Los Angeles NBC news sports guru.  At the Saturday night Bar/Rally

Leaving Los Angeles, LAX....  the gates were decorated in Rams colors for the occasion!  Along with the gate peeps doing Rams trivia and rally stuff!

Our gang on Sat night at the Ram's sponsored club...

My better half prior to the game in front of the Mercedes Benz dome....

Halftime.....

Game shot....

At the end of the day.... I'm ready for the new season!  Regardless of the outcome... our future is bright!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »

Where did I say that other successful quarterbacks have no leadership flaws? I'll hang up and listen.

PM sent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2019, 06:51:44 AM »
Crimson Sunrise, those pictures are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »

Jokes aside, I would actually not question Tom Brady's leadership. Everything I have read or heard about him tells me that he is a great teammate and leader.  And unlike some stars (*cough* Aaron Rodgers *cough*), he wants to be coached.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »

Jokes aside, I would actually not question Tom Brady's leadership. Everything I have read or heard about him tells me that he is a great teammate and leader.  And unlike some stars (*cough* Aaron Rodgers *cough*), he wants to be coached.

You see what Harrison said on one of those Fox shows?  He wanted to hate Tom but Tom won him over with his leadership and hard work.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »

You see what Harrison said on one of those Fox shows?  He wanted to hate Tom but Tom won him over with his leadership and hard work.
Yeah, didn't Tom pick him up at the airport when he first arrived? I know he's done that for other players.

The game itself, of course to us was a disappointment because of the outcome.  Funny though... talking to folks around us, we thought the game was extremely exciting and tense.  At the same time we were saying... "Man.. the folks watching on TV must be finding this game boring as fuck!" .  But live?  it was an epic defensive battle. Yeah... I woulda rather had a shoot out...lol...but.
Yeah, I'm one of the few people who found the game exciting. Teams moving the ball at will is never as interesting as teams having to overcome fantastic Ds.

Glad you enjoyed the experience.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
So you just won another Super Bowl Mr. Kraft, what do you plan to do now?

I'm going to Disney World!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Felate-gate.

Yeah, didn't Tom pick him up at the airport when he first arrived? I know he's done that for other players.

No but was very friendly, worked real hard and pushed others to work hard.  He lead and Harrison loved it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
So you just won another Super Bowl Mr. Kraft, what do you plan to do now?

I'm going to Disney World!

:rollin