Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124957 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. A. Brown orchestrates his way to the Patriots
« Reply #700 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
Although Brees played that last half a quarter to perfection, I know I had this thought at the end of the first half, and have had it before.  I don't know if it's discipline, or coaching, or pressure, or what, but Payton and Reid are both horrible at working the clock to their advantage.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »
The thread title should be changed to v. The Browns orchestrate another loss.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline max_security

« Reply #702 on: September 10, 2019, 03:00:12 PM »
The thread title should be changed to v. The Browns orchestrate another loss.  :lol

Or … " Watch " OBJ begin his journey to NE.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »

Well the Pats did just traded Demaryius Thomas to the Jets so.......  lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
“He will pursue all legal remedies to not only clear his name but to also protect other professional athletes against false accusations

Because if we've learned anything about AB, he will certainly go out of his way for other people, instead of being focused solely on himself.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2019, 12:50:26 AM »
"Hey, we don't have an AB story today.  Oh, thank you! Now we can talk about him for weeks!"
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2019, 04:37:23 AM »
Wonder if this came out over the weekend would the Pats have signed him still?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »
That's the weird thing about this; the timing can't be coincidental, but then again, a claim like that doesn't get put together in 45 minutes, so it had to have been in the works now for weeks at least.  I have zero compassion for AB, and his behavior suggests that his respect for boundaries is... shall we say, lacking, but let's not fail to recognize the last 72 hours or so (before the filing) were a public relations bonanza for that plaintiff.   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
That's the weird thing about this; the timing can't be coincidental, but then again, a claim like that doesn't get put together in 45 minutes, so it had to have been in the works now for weeks at least.  I have zero compassion for AB, and his behavior suggests that his respect for boundaries is... shall we say, lacking, but let's not fail to recognize the last 72 hours or so (before the filing) were a public relations bonanza for that plaintiff.
The first thing I thought was "She has to be a Colts fan," but of course you're correct. This has to have been in the works for a while.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
Did you read that article?  It's both disturbing and bizarre on several levels. 

I don't know what to make of this at the outset:  "Trigger Warning: This article contains information and details about sexual assault and/or violence, which may be upsetting to survivors."   Part of me is compassionate, and understands the benefit of that, but part of me wonders where this ends?  Isn't part of coping learning to incorporate that into your life in a healthy way, so that these triggers are of less impact? 

And this is the sort of thing that is oddly specific and makes me think there is fire with the smoke:  "Later that month, the lawsuit says, while they were streaming religious programming on a tablet at his South Florida home, Brown started masturbating behind Taylor and ejaculated on her back. The lawsuit contains images of profane messages that Taylor says Brown sent to her about the incident."  The first and third instances are sort of the same "he said/she said" events that make this so complicated (and he seems to acknowledge some sexual contact, calling it "consensual") but that middle event has elements that are eminently provable.  Now, whether the proof shows the crime or not I cannot tell, but there ought to be a timeline there and a set of electronic records that prove the context of the assault in a way that many of these accusations cannot. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #713 on: September 11, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

I don't know what to make of this at the outset:  "Trigger Warning: This article contains information and details about sexual assault and/or violence, which may be upsetting to survivors."   Part of me is compassionate, and understands the benefit of that, but part of me wonders where this ends?  Isn't part of coping learning to incorporate that into your life in a healthy way, so that these triggers are of less impact? 

Well, that's probably true but it doesn't negate the benefit of a quick heads up. I'm not a fan of them, myself. I hear them all the time on NPR and some of them seem pretty silly to me, but honestly, why should I care?

And this is the sort of thing that is oddly specific and makes me think there is fire with the smoke:  "Later that month, the lawsuit says, while they were streaming religious programming on a tablet at his South Florida home, Brown started masturbating behind Taylor and ejaculated on her back. The lawsuit contains images of profane messages that Taylor says Brown sent to her about the incident."  The first and third instances are sort of the same "he said/she said" events that make this so complicated (and he seems to acknowledge some sexual contact, calling it "consensual") but that middle event has elements that are eminently provable.  Now, whether the proof shows the crime or not I cannot tell, but there ought to be a timeline there and a set of electronic records that prove the context of the assault in a way that many of these accusations cannot.
Well, the first part of her allegation was "he tried to kiss me," and that always bugs me. That probably makes us all attempted rapists. I had the same thought bout the surprise pearl necklace as you, should be easy enough to prove or disprove. And in the end I take my customary stance of let Johnny look into it and see what the evidence portrays.

However, any speculation we make here is a waste of time. She said he did it and he's a douchbag. He's guilty and that's that. End of story.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »

Well, that's probably true but it doesn't negate the benefit of a quick heads up. I'm not a fan of them, myself. I hear them all the time on NPR and some of them seem pretty silly to me, but honestly, why should I care?

We're in the same place; I'm not losing even a second of sleep over this.  I'm just fascinated by the mindset that goes into something like this. 

Well, the first part of her allegation was "he tried to kiss me," and that always bugs me. That probably makes us all attempted rapists. I had the same thought bout the surprise pearl necklace as you, should be easy enough to prove or disprove. And in the end I take my customary stance of let Johnny look into it and see what the evidence portrays.

However, any speculation we make here is a waste of time. She said he did it and he's a douchbag. He's guilty and that's that. End of story.

Unfortunately you're right here, too.   This one I do lose sleep over, though.   

I might have written about this before, but I got some news recently.  I have a friend; I wouldn't say "bosom buddies", but I would say close.  His daughter and my daughter played together, and my daughter would sometimes go to the day care he ran if we needed coverage.  He has been in my house many times, I've been in his, and he has had my child in his direct, unsupervised care more than once.  About two years ago, he was arrested for the rape (I think the actual charge was "unlawful sexual intercourse") with two five-year children.  His business - a daycare - was summarily shut down.   His marriage - being repaired after a little mutual trouble - tested beyond endurance.  He maintained his innocence, and even passed a polygraph.  But his name and likeness was all over the news, on line, on television... if you think the comment section is reserved for celebrities, you are sadly mistaken.  People had no qualms calling for his castration, torture, and death. 

Quietly, with little fanfare, the charges were dropped earlier this year, almost 20 months after the arrest.   Business is still closed, he's still known as "that guy", even though the supposed "DNA evidence" was inconclusive, and it turns out the woman who accused him - the mom of the two children - did so out of vindictiveness because he wouldn't give her a refund of services because one child scraped the arm of her precious daughter.   His life is basically ruined; he's I think 54, and a British immigrant; what is he going to do now?  He doesn't have Brown's money to resurrect himself.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #715 on: September 11, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
Seems that Goodell is considering putting AB on the commissioner's exempt list. I'd have a real problem with this. The allegations are serious and if there is anything to them then by all means suspend the guy. Hell, ban him. All we have now is a civil allegation, though. You can't deprive a guy his livelihood over that. And lest anybody think that this is just me being a Patriot's fan, I still thing the league should suspend him for calling his GM a cracker while trying to pummel him and the Patriots would now own that.

Speaking of owning things, Rosenhaus has confirmed that they both knew this lawsuit was coming. Seems like that might give NE an escape clause if he winds up unable to play. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in the CBA that forbids players from concealing things like this from prospective employers.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: September 11, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
I can't believe that a coach who complains about the dome open and it affects to the game with that much detail didnt do his homework on a possible free agent. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: September 11, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Hey legal types... any reason this was filed in civil court and not criminal?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #718 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »
Hey legal types... any reason this was filed in civil court and not criminal?

Perhaps the burden of proof is a lower bar to hit in civil vs. criminal?  Just a guess.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
Well that is definitely true (I recall it's "Preponderance of evidence" and not "Beyond a reasonable doubt.") Just wondering if there was specific reasoning in this case. I figure if someone rapes you, you'd want to the full weight of a criminal court to come down on them, while civil court is where you go when the criminal court doesn't find in your favor (see: Goldmans vs OJ).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
Money vs. Justice.

Isn't it that simple?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #721 on: September 11, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »
Money vs. Justice.

Isn't it that simple?

Not sure those are mutually exclusive.  A victim might feel that getting the offenders money is the best form of justice.  Who are we to say what is best justice for the victim?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #722 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »
Well that is definitely true (I recall it's "Preponderance of evidence" and not "Beyond a reasonable doubt.") Just wondering if there was specific reasoning in this case. I figure if someone rapes you, you'd want to the full weight of a criminal court to come down on them, while civil court is where you go when the criminal court doesn't find in your favor (see: Goldmans vs OJ).
That's not really how I'd put it. Typically I suspect you'd want to do both. Ron Goldman would have preferred to have OJ tossed in prison and get all of his money, and would have sued in civil court even if he'd been convicted. Most likely explanation here is that she didn't figure the cops would prosecute him, and now that a few years have passed there's even less chance.

Money vs. Justice.

Isn't it that simple?
Not for me. I'm pretty cynical but I'm also fair, or at least I try to be. I'm certainly of the mindset to be skeptical of her claims pending their day in court, but I'll not just assume her motives are less than genuine.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: September 11, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
That's not really how I'd put it. Typically I suspect you'd want to do both. Ron Goldman would have preferred to have OJ tossed in prison and get all of his money, and would have sued in civil court even if he'd been convicted. 

Valid points, I was just trying to point out how a criminal court court find him not-guilty while a civic court could find him guilty.

And yes a criminal filing would come from the state, the civil filing from the individual.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: September 11, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
I get that El Barto and Cool Chris.  Both sides are so unreliable that I go to that. The timing of it, the storyline coming out. Both are deplorable to me.

I could go on but you both get my point why both are unreliable.

Let me add, I've said they before.   I didnt want this fuckwad on my team.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
I didnt want this fuckwad on my team.

I understand how you feel....but I would hesitate turning your back on him.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
He deserves due process and to defend himself.

His pass history leads to most not giving himself the benefit of doubt.   How you handle yourself is how you are looked at in real life situations.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »
He deserves due process and to defend himself.

His pass history leads to most not giving himself the benefit of doubt.   How you handle yourself is how you are looked at in real life situations.
His pass history is pretty unremarkable. 3 of 6, 50 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 68.1 rating. I wouldn't judge his credibility on that.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
 :lol

Off the field my friend.   Dont get me wrong, I hope this is bullshit and he helps us to #7.

Just his antics this last year grates most.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »

King, I am thinking Eric was making a joke here that you didn't catch on to.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #730 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:58 PM »

King, I am thinking Eric was making a joke here that you didn't catch on to.

;)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline dparrott

« Reply #731 on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/lawsuit-accuses-antonio-brown-of-rape/ar-AAH6jNp?li=BBnbfcL

Oh boy! :facepalm:

3 days into being a Pat.  :lol

Thankfully he's their problem now!  It's hard enough for the Raiders to win without THAT distraction.

BTW, Marshawn Lynch is bringing an arena football team to Oakland to play at the old Oracle Arena. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
Blonde moment. lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2019, 07:41:43 AM »
BTW, Marshawn Lynch is bringing an arena football team to Oakland to play at the old Oracle Arena.

I hope this helps them build some momentum. For a league that has weathered as many storms as they have without permanently going under, you'd think that at some point they'd be able to make some good business moves and establish some real stability. I fucking love arena football.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
Money vs. Justice.

Isn't it that simple?
Not for me. I'm pretty cynical but I'm also fair, or at least I try to be. I'm certainly of the mindset to be skeptical of her claims pending their day in court, but I'll not just assume her motives are less than genuine.

Granted, the line of work I am in and the side I am on lends itself to me often being skeptical when it comes to one's motives for filing a civil lawsuit.  But that said, filing a civil suit "for the money" isn't necessarily an improper motive.  If she feels she was wronged, and that it cost her something, I see nothing wrong whatsoever with filing a civil suit to get compensated for that wrong.  I think that's every bit as valid a component of justice as locking him up if he did it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."