Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124968 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Opening Week!
« Reply #595 on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
Vontaze Burfict was the one holding him back from pummeling his GM and OJ Simpson is telling him to calm down and relax. What more do you need to know about AB?  :lol

Rosenhaus is apparently trying to drive a wedge between Gruden and Mayock in a last ditch effort to get his guaranteed money. In the meantime David Carr and the other team captains have all sided with management. Since AB doesn't seem like the let bygones be bygones type, you're also having to choose between AB and Carr now. Once again, how smart are the Raiders?

Honestly, this is more interesting than the game itself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #596 on: September 06, 2019, 09:24:10 AM »
Vontaze Burfict was the one holding him back from pummeling his GM and OJ Simpson is telling him to calm down and relax. What more do you need to know about AB?  :lol

:lol

Imagine if he was cut?  Who would want that S#$%show?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #597 on: September 06, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »

Imagine if he was cut?  Who would want that S#$%show?

I can't imagine they won't suspend him. The article I read says that if he's suspended then they escape paying him all his guaranteed $$$.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: September 06, 2019, 10:45:11 AM »
Yup.  Well, he put himself in this position.  Shows you how much the Steelers did to deal with this kid when we only heard the whispers out of Pittsburgh. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #599 on: September 06, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
No it wasn't.  Packers won.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #600 on: September 06, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27552977/gruden-plan-brown-play-monday-night

I guess that tells us what we need to know about the Raiders.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: September 06, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
OJ Simpson is telling him to calm down and relax.

No way!  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #602 on: September 06, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27552977/gruden-plan-brown-play-monday-night

I doubt anyone is surprised.  The Raiders are getting duped by Brown and Rosenhaus, who are doing whatever they can to make sure he gets that guaranteed money.  My guess is Mayock wants to cut the cord, but is getting overruled by Gruden who is desperate to win and knows that losing Brown would make that a lot more difficult in the short term.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #603 on: September 06, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »

That's not good.  Neither is this:

"Right now I think his relationship with Coach Gruden is good, very good," Rosenhaus said Friday. "I'm not going to get into his relationship with Mike Mayock, but I will say that we're hopeful that that will be a good one, as well. It has been in the past; it can be in the future."

Far be it from me to tell Jon Gruden how to coach his team, but you can't have deal fever.  Does Antonio Brown make a 5-11 team into a 11-5 team?  I don't think so.  I'm not even sure he makes a 7-9 team a 9-7 team. 

So why compromise everything?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: September 06, 2019, 12:32:54 PM »

If I were Carr I wouldn't throw one pass to him or towards his direction.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #605 on: September 06, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

Yep. Now we know.

I'm really amazed that they folded. Deciding to cut the guy would have been a really tough decision. Deciding to suspend him one game for time to re-evaluate was a no brainer. Not only do they wind up married to the guy, but they put up giant billboards announcing that he's above the team. Somebody needs to rework the Ditka/Ricky Williams wedding picture with AB as the groom and Gruden in a gimp suit, because he's definitely the bitch now. Ideal scenario is that he's gone in 6 weeks and the raiders lose 35 million, their quarterback, and their GM because of it.

Also, while being held back from pummeling Mayock he kept calling him a cracker. Imagine if the races were reversed there. Dude would never be allowed to play again.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: September 06, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
Or throw it too high/away from him so he can't catch anything. A state line of zero catches with a ton of targets looks a lot worse than zero targets.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #607 on: September 06, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
Barto, I was avoiding that topic on purpose, but it goes without saying that if a white player had called a black GM the equivalent of cracker (not sure what the black equivalent is) that the player would be done.  Cracker is a small slur at worst, but still a slur nonetheless.

As for Carr, he is fighting for his starting QB life, so he can't afford to piss it away just to show up his diva WR.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: September 06, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
Also, while being held back from pummeling Mayock he kept calling him a cracker. Imagine if the races were reversed there. Dude would never be allowed to play again.

That would be National Media news for a week or two......As it stands, this little scenario is just news in the sports world.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #609 on: September 06, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »

That would be National Media news for a week or two......As it stands, this little scenario is just news in the sports world.

Yeah, obviously if the races were reversed things would be much different here.

Overall though, I'm with Barto. I'm surprised they folded completely. I expected the Raiders to give him at least a game or two suspension. Rough look for the organization right now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: September 06, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
I just realized there is no NFL Survivor thread(?) Don't we usually do that every year?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #611 on: September 06, 2019, 02:03:46 PM »
I was looking for it yesterday.  Bummed there isn't one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #612 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
I just realized there is no NFL Survivor thread(?) Don't we usually do that every year?
That was always Doc's deal. Maybe he's no longer interested in dicking with it. I always enjoyed it, despite being pretty terrible at it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: September 06, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »
I could try and set it up if there is interest?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #614 on: September 06, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
I think I was out after Week 1 last year. I'd be up for it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: September 06, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
Antonio just put out a YouTube hype video with private conversations between Chucky and himself.

The dude is bat shit crazy!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: September 06, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
The Raiders only have themselves to blame.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: September 06, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
Hey, we can get Antonio for a 3rd and a 5th?  What a steal! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #618 on: September 06, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

(that's for both Brown and Gruden)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: September 06, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #620 on: September 06, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
"Officer, I thought it was that Mayock jerk. Those crackers all look the same!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2019, 08:34:32 PM »
Lots of talk about the legality of using a private conversation without consent.

This is better than General Hospital.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
Chris Mortensen has already tweeted that a Raiders source told him that Gruden thought this latest video was awesome.

The enabling continues! :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
Damn. I hope the Raiders game is on the east coast.  I love to see the Hindenburg blow up again.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2019, 09:49:46 PM »
Damn. I hope the Raiders game is on the east coast.  I love to see the Hindenburg blow up again.

You were there to see it the first time? Damn, you're older than I thought!!!   :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2019, 04:34:46 AM »

Time traveler.  Blob would be happy. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2019, 07:29:47 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
7m
By fining Antonio Brown $215,073.53 last night for conduct detrimental to the team on Sept. 4, the Raiders voided the $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his deal, per league sources.

This could help explain why Brown is now asking the Raiders for his release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2019, 07:30:06 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
In addition to fining Antonio Brown $215,073.53 for conduct detrimental to the team that voided $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his contract, the Raiders sent Brown a letter that he no longer will be entitled to termination pay if they release him, per sources.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #629 on: September 07, 2019, 07:31:30 AM »
I said above I'm a fan of Gruden.  I don't think this is a case of "well, he shouldn't have gone for it on fourth down"; that's just subjective gamesmanship.  This is very different.  And I'm really disappointed in Jon for not seeing the bigger picture here.  If I'm another Raider, I'm like "WTF?".

I can count on maybe three fingers the times when a coach's blatant favoritism could be justified (LT, Brady, and I'm going to save the third for a future choice).  In most cases, when a coach gets too enamored with a player it does not end well for the team, and this is that in spades. 

EDIT:  That Schefter bit is interesting; so they saved the money anyway?  Could Gruden be crazy like a fox?  I don't think so, but it's worth asking.