Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124958 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Andrew Luck retires
« Reply #560 on: August 26, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
Troy Aikman, the white Jay-Z.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
  At the other end of the spectrum, how bout those Jason Witten fans?  He retires, sucks at broadcasting on Monday Night and now he's back again in Dallas.  He better have a damn good season or he'll never hear the end of it.  :lol

The only chance Witten has to have a good season, at least in statistical terms, is if the Cowboys plummet and he is able to pile up some garbage yards and catches in some games, while averaging 7 yards a catch again. :lol 

Oh, and I love Troy Aikman. Underrated QB.

Aikman was a very good QB, but he never struck me as a great one.  He was never a QB who could put a team on his back and carry them.  Notice that the second the Cowboys weren't stock piled with talent everywhere, Aikman was far less effective and they were an average team.  And heck, I like Aikman and think he is a really good color commentator, but it's how I see it.  He was great from 1992-1995, but for the rest of his NFL career (8 seasons), he was an under .500 QB (and right at .500 if you take away his 0-11 rookie season), and threw more INT's than TD's.  Despite his three Super Bowl wins, there is a reason he is never mentioned as one of the best QB's ever.  Heck, even during that 1992-1995 run, he was never an All-Pro (per the AP, the one that everyone pays attention to), not even second team!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #563 on: August 27, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
  At the other end of the spectrum, how bout those Jason Witten fans?  He retires, sucks at broadcasting on Monday Night and now he's back again in Dallas.  He better have a damn good season or he'll never hear the end of it.  :lol

The only chance Witten has to have a good season, at least in statistical terms, is if the Cowboys plummet and he is able to pile up some garbage yards and catches in some games, while averaging 7 yards a catch again. :lol 

Yeah, you're probably right.  The expectations have diminished over the years.  Now days, fans are just waiting to be surprised. :omg:  Had his yards after the catch been much more productive, he would've been one of the best all around TE's in the game.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: August 27, 2019, 11:03:44 AM »
https://nesn.com/2019/08/ex-patriot-defends-andrew-lucks-retirement-with-fascinating-twitter-thread/

Very interesting..and kind of sad.

The name Rich Ohrnberger might not mean a ton to most people
oh I know him, former PSU OL.  Good guy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: August 27, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
Gronk new venture.  A line of CBD products.     Get out!  Lol. No surprise.   You hear how much it works medicinally.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #566 on: August 27, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
Doesn't seem any different than any other pointless endorsement.  For a while down here you could buy a car at a Troy Aikman dealership and celebrate by eating Nolan Ryan beef at Randy White's bar and grill, all on properties probably managed by Roger Staubach.

Besides, can this really be any worse than those fucking Tide commercials?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: August 27, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
 :lol

I see a lot of players taking a year off, taking this and healing up physically and mentally before returning to the NFL.

Time for the NFL to modernize for the players sake.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
My man Jared Goff get's paid!  Smart move on the Rams part.  He would have almost certainly cost more if they had waited till next offseason to do the deal.  Or even after Dak's deal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2019, 08:24:16 AM »
:lol

I see a lot of players taking a year off, taking this and healing up physically and mentally before returning to the NFL.

Time for the NFL to modernize for the players sake.

I agree; I don't know what the answer is myself, but I think there are things that can be done to make this more "holistic" for the players. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 04, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
It should be.  I have a feeling the NFL will bargain and will give up the weed punishment to keep the Article 46 in place. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
The Raiders are getting ready to suspend Antonio Brown.

You can't make this stuff up.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #572 on: September 05, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »

I love all the reactions on Twitter about this and giving props to Tomlin for apparently controlling a major problem child for so long.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #573 on: September 05, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »

I love all the reactions on Twitter about this and giving props to Tomlin for apparently controlling a major problem child for so long.

Or for helping to mold him into the monster he's become.

This is all glorious and fantastic. Those of us in Steelers country right now are soaking this in.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #574 on: September 05, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
We're gonna find out how smart the Raiders are here. Given his history of being a bitch they surely had to work in an escape clause should he be uncontrollable. At this point they really only have a few options. Slap him down hard and hope he gets his act together. Let him go on being a bitch and destroy the rest of the team. Get rid of his silly ass, which requires that they had the forethought to provide for that possibility.

edit: an agent already went over this scenario a couple of weeks ago. If I understand this correctly, and I probably don't, they have until Sunday to jettison him. They can cut him loose right now and it will cost them very little (aside from the 3 and 5 they gave to Pitt). If he's on the 53 man roster at the start of their game MNF then they're stuck with him for 2 years as the dead cap will become overwhelming.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:14:30 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #575 on: September 05, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »

Or for helping to mold him into the monster he's become.

This is all glorious and fantastic. Those of us in Steelers country right now are soaking this in.

It makes us Bronco fans happy too!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #576 on: September 05, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
edit: an agent already went over this scenario a couple of weeks ago. If I understand this correctly, and I probably don't, they have until Sunday to jettison him. They can cut him loose right now and it will cost them very little (aside from the 3 and 5 they gave to Pitt). If he's on the 53 man roster at the start of their game MNF then they're stuck with him for 2 years as the dead cap will become overwhelming.

I think this is correct (I probably don't understand it either). The question I see floating around now, is whether or not the Raiders can point to specific language in his deal that will force him to either not get guaranteed money or pay back the guarantee he's already received or something of that nature. Assuming they do cut him before the MNF game.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #577 on: September 05, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »

I think this is correct (I probably don't understand it either). The question I see floating around now, is whether or not the Raiders can point to specific language in his deal that will force him to either not get guaranteed money or pay back the guarantee he's already received or something of that nature. Assuming they do cut him before the MNF game.
Conduct detrimental to the team and violating team policies would cover it. I don't think there's really a question that they could do it. The question will be how strong is their case when the inevitable lawsuit is filed. Refusing to attend practices, being insubordinate, and being a major distraction during camp will give them a case, but they'd wind up settling. Still, aside from principle (the dude doesn't deserve shit) settling would likely be an excellent deal for them. Presumably the settlement wouldn't count against the cap so they could pay him something kinda sorta close to this year's salary to shut up and go away. "And good luck finding another team to pay you 60 million now, asshole."
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #578 on: September 05, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »

Conduct detrimental to the team and violating team policies would cover it. I don't think there's really a question that they could do it. The question will be how strong is their case when the inevitable lawsuit is filed. Refusing to attend practices, being insubordinate, and being a major distraction during camp will give them a case, but they'd wind up settling. Still, aside from principle (the dude doesn't deserve shit) settling would likely be an excellent deal for them. Presumably the settlement wouldn't count against the cap so they could pay him something kinda sorta close to this year's salary to shut up and go away. "And good luck finding another team to pay you 60 million now, asshole."

Yup, if it does all go down, it'll be interesting to see what kind of offers he gets after that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: September 05, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
Word is from Schefter that he threatened to punch his GMayock.  What an idiot.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #580 on: September 05, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
So it seems that this latest kerfuffle started because AB posted a fine letter to social media with a bizarrely worded message that was presumably intended to make the organization look bad. The letter included language suggested that he was pushing things to the point where they might bail on him and he upped the ante. Honestly, it's time to cut the cord with him. Things are not going to get better. If it's now or two years form now you really can't afford to wait, and most sources are saying that the raiders are in the clear as of right now.

Also, if somebody with this degree of literacy can get into college, much less graduate, there's a real problem in this country.

Ooh, he read card good!

E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: September 05, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
You know how Jake Tapper looks at the news he's about to read about "Trump" and you can literally see his head swelling?   That's how I feel when I read this stuff.

Player A violates a very clear, unambiguous rule.   
Player A is penalized for said violation.
Player A again violates a very clear, unambiguous rule.
Player A is again penalized for said violation.

And by some magic juju, Player A is the victim, seeking to inflict vengeance? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: September 05, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
I think the Raiders will cut the cord with Brown before the first game, that way they can avoid having to pay all of that guaranteed money.  Brown is not the kind of guy to straighten up and fly straight after a suspension, and the Raiders know it. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #583 on: September 05, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »
I think the Raiders will cut the cord with Brown before the first game, that way they can avoid having to pay all of that guaranteed money.  Brown is not the kind of guy to straighten up and fly straight after a suspension, and the Raiders know it.

We're gonna find out how smart the Raiders are here.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Opening Week!
« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
ANyone watch Hard Knocks?  I didn't watch the whole thing, but by circumstance, I watched the last episode, and it was rather illuminating.  Now I wish I watched more.

I'm a fan of Gruden, and always have been, but I can't say I left that episode with a good feeling, I just can't put my finger on why.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #585 on: September 05, 2019, 05:10:46 PM »
Also, if somebody with this degree of literacy can get into college, much less graduate, there's a real problem in this country.

Well...Division 1 college football is nothing but a minor league operated by universities, so I think any player's literacy has little to do with whether he'll be allowed to play for these minor league teams.  Also, Brown left CMU after his junior year, and I very much doubt he went back to finish his "studies."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #586 on: September 05, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
Few things are more painful to watch than inept offenses.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
Tonight's game blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #588 on: September 05, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
Good defense isn't always fun to watch, but I am enjoying this game. Feels like one big play could swing the game either way. Both offenses are obviously working to get going after barely playing in the preseason.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #589 on: September 05, 2019, 08:41:45 PM »
I have no problem with good defense.  Is this game really highlighting good defense?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #590 on: September 05, 2019, 08:42:53 PM »
Folks in these parts knew the Packers offense was expected to struggle, but were cautiously optimistic about the defense.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #591 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »
I have no problem with good defense.  Is this game really highlighting good defense?
It is for the Bears.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #592 on: September 05, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
magic juju

Leave him out of this. He's a good kid!!!  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #593 on: September 06, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »
I’m assuming most people finally understand what a colossal asshole Antonio Brown is; the horrible cancer he was in Pittsburgh, constantly undermining the team’s effort to win with his narcissism, making Ben feel like he had to force him the ball constantly so he would shut the f up. Hope he never plays another down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #594 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
Wow, that game last night was fucking awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.