Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 123905 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Over/Under on Josh Gordon's next suspension: Week 3
« Reply #525 on: August 22, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
That's why I don't play El Barto. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: August 23, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #528 on: August 24, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
I'm confused to why he even was at that game if he was retiring.

The fans booed him, was he expecting a Standing Ovation?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #529 on: August 24, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
Any fan who booed him tonight is an asshole.

He has gotten the crap beat out of him for most of his NFL career, and it's clear it has wore him down.  I give him full props for making this tough decision.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: August 25, 2019, 05:48:15 AM »
Shocked to wake up this morning and find out he retired.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Andrew Luck retires
« Reply #531 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
People who booed Luck after he gave them the best years of his life and put his body through hell for them don't deserve to be called sports fans. Entitled gits, the lot of them.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #532 on: August 25, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »

He has gotten the crap beat out of him for most of his NFL career, and it's clear it has wore him down.  I give him full props for making this tough decision.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll miss watching Luck play; initially I was shocked when I heard the news but when I watched the press conference, it made a lot more sense... very smart move on his part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #533 on: August 25, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
I was pretty surprised, but not completely surprised.  It was obvious that his new injuries were not healing quickly.  Heck, I had been avoiding all Colts in fantasy drafts I was doing because Luck's health seemed to be in question and their offense takes a bit hit without him. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: August 25, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
I will truly miss Captain Andrew Luck on Twitter.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #535 on: August 25, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »

I'm with you on that.   I'm just not sure how anyone - fan or otherwise - can look on this guy and not say "class act all around".   He put in the effort, and - like so many SAY (Paul Stanley!!) - "if he couldn't do it at the level he knew he should", he stepped back for the good of his team, his body, his family, and him.

I've got nothing but respect for that guy, top to bottom.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #536 on: August 25, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »

Yup. There are a lot of brain-dead sports “fans” out there. I had to call out some morons on my own team’s board for calling him soft. So many people completely lack perspective, it’s pretty sad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: August 26, 2019, 07:21:12 AM »
Oof just saw this on twitter
Troy Aikman
@TroyAikman
11h
That’s total bullshit Doug. What qualifies you to decide how someone should live their life? So you’re now the authority on what motivates Andrew Luck? And if his decisions don’t fit into what you think is best for him then you rip him? Guess that keeps you employed on FS1. Nice

in response to
Doug Gottlieb
@GottliebShow
 · Aug 24
Retiring cause rehabbing is “too hard” is the most millennial thing ever #AndrewLuck

Man, that shot from Troy about being on FS1 is fantastic

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #538 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
Awesome comeback by Aikman. :tup :tup

Gottlieb is a dope. He fills in for Cowherd on occasion and I always turn it off right away when that is the case and immediately delete it from my DVR.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #539 on: August 26, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
I don't know him well enough (uh, not at all) but that's a dick thing to say.  I watched the Luck retirement statement, and he was upfront, honest and fair.  He didn't use buzz words or code words, or hide behind "millenial" nonsense.    He's been almost constantly injured, and it's impacting his quality of life.   That should be enough for anyone (honestly, if Luck just said "yeah, healthy, feeling good, focused, in shape, but i just don't want to do this anymore", that should be enough, but that's me.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: August 26, 2019, 07:55:52 AM »
I think fans are emotional because of the timing. He seemed to be back last year and his announcement came in the pre season where hope rings eternal.

Now look at the same age with Gronk.  Play down.   Hinting for years that he was thinking about retirement.   Retires before preseason.   The fans were prepared.

We fans do dumb things when invested in our teams.  They will regret it later.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #541 on: August 26, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
And say dumb things.

See: this past season's hockey thread.

No wait, don't go see it. :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #542 on: August 26, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »
Did the knuckleheads that were booing him know that he was retiring, or was it simply that he wasn't playing that game due to injury? If it's the latter then they deserved to get blindsided with a whole truckload of Jacobi Brissett.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: August 26, 2019, 08:31:59 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Kev from the other side. Lol

Honestly that's 2 years Indy fans were duped into season tickets thinking their franchise QB was playing.  The team should have had a Friday afternoon press conference as well that would have not have had the fans boo him.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Aikman will take any chance he can to drop a bomb on FS1. He hates Skip Bayless and the fact that they are essentially employed by the same company. I'm with him. I have long called sports radio 'hate radio'. I had a buddy that listened to it all the time and had to ask how he could listen to that garbage. They seem to hate everything and everyone in sports but that's all they talk about. It's toxic and that is Aikman's take on Bayless.

In rosier news, the Colts gave Luck a massive parting gift. Props to Irsay.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
Troy vs Skip goes back a long way. Bayless was the head sports writer for the Dallas Morning News during 8's playing days. At one point he wrote a book that started the rumor that Troy was queer, based on speculation from that incompetent boob Barry Switzer.  Truth is Troy is beloved down here, and Bayless is loathed, although that's exactly what works for him so I guess it's a win win.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
Jim Murray of 98.5 The Sports Hub — the Patriots' flagship radio station — tweeted Thursday that a source told him an alarm was tripped for a possible breaking and entering at Chung's Meredith home. As police were checking on the home, they reportedly found the cocaine.

The official indictment includes very few details, other than Chung's name, date of birth and address. The charge states that he "did possess or have under his control a quantity of the controlled drug cocaine," and that he did so "knowingly," but does not include any further details.

Something tells me that Patrick Chung's got a housekeeper that's fixing to earn a six figure bonus.

Pro-tip: Always stash your drugs in something opaque. A dozen brown cosmetics jars cost $10 on Amazon, FFS. I realize he wasn't expecting Johnny to enter his home while he was away, but nobody ever does. He had a lot of protection in that scenario that he waived by leaving contraband in plain sight.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
Pro tip. Lol

Just heard on the same station Jjm Murray is on that Chung pleaded not guilty.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #548 on: August 26, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Pro tip. Lol

Of course he did. The dope's not his. It belongs to the caretaker while he's away playing football.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #549 on: August 26, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »

That was probably mostly due to timing.  Most players announce retirement shortly after the previous season ends or earlier during the off-season.  Not two weeks before the regular season starts.  I can see why a lot of fans would be pissed off about that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: August 26, 2019, 10:28:39 AM »
Pro tip. Lol

Of course he did. The dope's not his. It belongs to the caretaker while he's away playing football.

Who was it at the rookie symposium told them to have a fall guy? 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »
Cris Carter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: August 26, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
That's right. Thanks Chris.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #553 on: August 26, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
Awesome comeback by Aikman. :tup :tup

Gottlieb is a dope. He fills in for Cowherd on occasion and I always turn it off right away when that is the case and immediately delete it from my DVR.

And yet you tolerate Cowturd?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: August 26, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
I about lost my mind when my local affiliate changed from Rome to Cowherd in the morning. I know Rome has more than his share of detractors, and his show has gone way downhill from before he moved to CBS Radio, but damn Cowherd is atrocious. There was about a week or two when I liked Gottlieb and listened to his show, then I quickly moved on from him too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #555 on: August 26, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
Cowherd is fine in small doses (like any good sports talking head).  Rome and Cowherd both have that obnoxious part of their personality that comes out at times, but you almost have to have that to survive in that industry. 

That was probably mostly due to timing.  Most players announce retirement shortly after the previous season ends or earlier during the off-season.  Not two weeks before the regular season starts.  I can see why a lot of fans would be pissed off about that.

I totally get having that immediate, emotional reaction to news like that, but to boo the guy like that? 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #556 on: August 26, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
I listened to Rome back in the 90s -- back when he and Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton were on the same station.  Then he disappeared from the LA area airwaves, and I wondered for awhile what happened to him.  Once a year or so I catch his show on TV when I'm off work on a weekday, and it's BAD.

Cowherd is one of those guys who says stupid stuff just to get a reaction and generate talk, but I can't stand him at all.  Fortunately, I'm almost never in my car when he's on.  Dan Patrick in the morning is great, as are Petros and Money during afternoon drive (and I completely get that a lot of folks hate Petros, but I think he's hilarious when paired with Money).  Midday around here is Fred Roggin and Rodney Peete or Mason and Ireland.  Roggin should be better, but Rodney Peete is godawful (as is Rob Parker, whom they have on fairly frequently for no apparent reason).  Mason and Ireland are mostly good, but they're very Lakers-centric.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #557 on: August 26, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
Cowherd is fine in small doses (like any good sports talking head).  Rome and Cowherd both have that obnoxious part of their personality that comes out at times, but you almost have to have that to survive in that industry. 

I totally get having that immediate, emotional reaction to news like that, but to boo the guy like that?

Yeah, I know.  He definitely didn't deserve that, but on the other hand, I'm not surprised the way certain fans are now days.  At the other end of the spectrum, how bout those Jason Witten fans?  He retires, sucks at broadcasting on Monday Night and now he's back again in Dallas.  He better have a damn good season or he'll never hear the end of it.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: August 26, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
Pro tip. Lol

His caretaker Ty Law's cousin. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: August 26, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
Oh, and I love Troy Aikman. Underrated QB.