Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124900 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Training Camp!
« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Don't take this as me arguing with you. Reid as a top 6 QB doesn't bother me at all. This whole thing started because I said he was a liability with regards to beating out NE this year, because he is. His overall record isn't any better than Payton's, and he has a losing record in the playoffs, as opposed to Payton. Dude's had a lot of very good teams, nine playoff spots in the NFC-E isn't an easy thing to do. Nor is five more in the A-W but he has nothing to show for it. And in some of those cases it's directly attributable to him.

I am sitting here imagining how it would look to see Andy Reid trying to avoid a pass rush...:P :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »
The headset flies off.... :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »
He might be as fast as Tom Brady is now. :P

Which reminds of a Bill Burr (who's a Patriots fan) quote about Brady:

"Like did you see last year, when he threw that pick-six? When he dove to tackle that guy, it looked like somebody threw a dead body out of a car.”

:lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: July 26, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Oh I love Bill Burr and I heard that line.  Too damn funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: July 26, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
You wanna laugh for like an hour straight?  Just watch clips of Bill Burr on Conan's show.  Non-stop hilarity.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: July 26, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
I saw him live last year.  My jaw was sore from laughing so damn much.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: July 27, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
Giants wide receivers group is off to a good start....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
So, I'm watching the Braves/Nats game on ESPN tonight, and I see along The Bottom Line that Le'veon Bell apologized to fantasy owners.

Apologized? To fantasy owners?

Are you fucking kidding me? I know this isn't news, but holy shit, this guy is a douche.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
In fantasy,  I don't accept his apology.  :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #464 on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:38 AM »
So, I'm watching the Braves/Nats game on ESPN tonight, and I see along The Bottom Line that Le'veon Bell apologized to fantasy owners.

Are you fucking kidding me? I know this isn't news, but holy shit, this guy is a douche.

I read something a year or two ago that talked about how fantasy sports (NFL in particular) has become a huge money making industry. While I agree with you that his apology seems to be very silly, I know that the league takes it fairly serious, and there's huge amounts of money involved.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #465 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »

Honestly it makes sense in a way. He took the year off because he knew his worth, and there’s no sympathy in business, but the fans who missed him last year deserve an apology.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #466 on: July 30, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
Like it or not, fantasy football is a big reason football is king now. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #467 on: August 02, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
Hmmm...I thought fantasy was created because real football was already king.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #468 on: August 05, 2019, 10:09:11 AM »
This could be a "chicken and the egg" scenario. ;)

Football was already getting bigger, and then FF really exploded and took it to the next level.  Heck, half of the guys in our local FF auction league, by their own admission, only watch football nowadays for the fantasy aspect of it, and I've heard that from a lot of other people.  I mean, who's gonna watch a Jags/Titans game (outside of fans of those teams)?  Fantasy football fans, that's who!! :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
I think football was king before FF was a thing, but FF definitely made it bigger, but in my mind, the reason why football is king is because you could watch a Jags/Titan game and enjoy it.  Football is just a sport that you can really enjoy any game of (well, I mean you can watch other teams for the sport, obviously there are terrible games sometimes that you wish you didn't watch).  These days I hardly watch football outside of my team, but when I was younger I could sit all Sunday (or Saturday since I love college ball too) and watch whoever was on TV.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #470 on: August 05, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
There's this assumption that Tom Brady's career is going to end with a whimper, rather than a thud. The expectation is that he goes downhill like Manning and they have to shove him out the door. Seems to me the more likely outcome is that he gets injured and never recovers. If the dude breaks a leg, or destroys a knee, would he ever play again? That would be a real bummer. Like when Janikowski pulled his hamstring and you knew that you just saw his final play. Or Michael Irvin's final play, getting booed by the marginally sentient excrement in Veterans Stadium. I get that the dude can still play, and he has no reason to think that'll be the case as long as he's healthy. Misfortune happens, though, and he's tempting fate with each season he plays. That's not the way the GOAT should go out.

Eh, just a random musing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: August 05, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
I am pretty sure Brady honestly thinks he can play till he is 45, and if his o-line protects him like they did in the first two playoff games last year, he might be able to pull it off, but if teams can get pressure on him and knock him around a little, it will be difficult since injuries simply do not heal as quickly over the age of 40, no matter how much black magic that fake doctor of his uses, or whatever else he does.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #472 on: August 05, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
There's this assumption that Tom Brady's career is going to end with a whimper, rather than a thud. The expectation is that he goes downhill like Manning and they have to shove him out the door. Seems to me the more likely outcome is that he gets injured and never recovers. If the dude breaks a leg, or destroys a knee, would he ever play again? That would be a real bummer. Like when Janikowski pulled his hamstring and you knew that you just saw his final play. Or Michael Irvin's final play, getting booed by the marginally sentient excrement in Veterans Stadium. I get that the dude can still play, and he has no reason to think that'll be the case as long as he's healthy. Misfortune happens, though, and he's tempting fate with each season he plays. That's not the way the GOAT should go out.

Eh, just a random musing.

I agree with all of that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
Well, he only has one more year left contractually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: August 05, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »

2 options on both sides.  They are keeping it year to year.  Understandable on both sides.

I do agree with El Barto.  It will be an injury that will end it.  Actually, it was Peyton's injury that finally took it's toll.  Those neck surgeries were just too much.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #475 on: August 05, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »

2 options on both sides.  They are keeping it year to year.  Understandable on both sides.

I do agree with El Barto.  It will be an injury that will end it.  Actually, it was Peyton's injury that finally took it's toll.  Those neck surgeries were just too much.
Peyton's injury was the whimper, though. He kept playing with diminishing skill, and was able to retire on a high note thanks to a world class defense. At this point any injury Brady suffers stands a pretty good chance of being a career-ender, even where other players would recover. He simply doesn't have the time. I'd just hate to see him go out in such an anticlimactic way, like Seabass.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: August 05, 2019, 03:56:18 PM »
Is it more anti-climatic to go out on injury or by being a shell of your former self with everyone rooting for your back up?  Not saying that will happen to Brady, but hypothetically.  It's just kind of rare to have a hollywood ending to your career. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #477 on: August 05, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
There's this assumption that Tom Brady's career is going to end with a whimper, rather than a thud. The expectation is that he goes downhill like Manning and they have to shove him out the door. Seems to me the more likely outcome is that he gets injured and never recovers.

All it takes is one hit to end a season or worse.  He's tempting fate and should probably bow out gracefully.  We all know he's the GOAT.  There's nothing left to prove.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: August 05, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »

Peyton's injury was the whimper, though. He kept playing with diminishing skill, and was able to retire on a high note thanks to a world class defense. At this point any injury Brady suffers stands a pretty good chance of being a career-ender, even where other players would recover. He simply doesn't have the time. I'd just hate to see him go out in such an anticlimactic way, like Seabass.

HGH can keep you going.

Though I'm for it. These guys give up their bodies for us. I'm all for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #479 on: August 05, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »

Putting down all those beers and sausages during the games, it seems you have returned the favor! :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #480 on: August 05, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
Is it more anti-climatic to go out on injury or by being a shell of your former self with everyone rooting for your back up?  Not saying that will happen to Brady, but hypothetically.  It's just kind of rare to have a hollywood ending to your career.

Yup.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 05, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »

Putting down all those beers and sausages during the games, it seems you have returned the favor! :lol

No.  I need HGH! :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #482 on: August 05, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »

Yup.

Still the gold standard. Peyton went out on a high note, but he was done. Kaput. Elway was winding down, but he still had some game left in him.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
Elway was still a borderline top 5 QB in his last few years; he just couldn't run around like he could in his younger days.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
Balance always helps and Elway still had a gun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2019, 06:47:04 PM »
Flacco still has a gun, so there's hope, right?

:lol :lol :lol

:censored :censored

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
Ok.  Elway had a brain too. :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2019, 12:26:47 AM »
Elway was still a borderline top 5 QB in his last few years; he just couldn't run around like he could in his younger days.

I know that you already know, but I'm posting it anyways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYsO67ZZCU

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
Watching the Pats game tonight, and they just announced that Don Banks passed away. Holy shit. It's been awhile, but I used to think he was as good as they came on the NFL.
He's my wife's age. Way to young...

Seems he died in Canton after the HOF ceremony. Yikes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 08, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
He was at Canton for thr HOF introductions.   I saw his son's tweet.  Too damn young.