Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124843 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Wentz gets paid
« Reply #385 on: July 17, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
The real question is what to do about Dak. He's wanting Rothlesburger/Rodgers money and he's simply not worth it. Yet I don't see how Jerry can just cut him loose. Where do you go to sign somebody better? It's the same problem Seattle was in. There's nobody comparable you can sign and the longer the wait the more other teams will drive the price up. I think it's a no brainer you pay Z, but D is a real mystery.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #386 on: July 18, 2019, 06:26:40 AM »
I said this about Romo and I'll say it about Rivers and Prescott:  They will never win a Super Bowl in their current configuration (meaning, not counting if either one signs on to back up the GOAT in New England, but absent that...)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #387 on: July 18, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
They should've learned their lesson when they overpaid Romo but like everything else in Dallas, history tends to repeat itself with the exception of championships over the last 22 years.

In all fairness though, Romo was a very good QB for most of his career - he was a legit MVP candidate a couple times and was usually in that 2nd or 3rd tier of best QB's in the league (5th to 12th best), while I doubt anyone except maybe a few Dallas homers would consider Dak any better than an average starter right now.

Oh, I totally agree.  I didn't mean to diminish Romo's talent.  I just think all the money they threw at him didn't help the team.  Although Dak is not as good as Romo was, he has the potential to be under the right coach.  Romo had Parcells in his early years.  Dak has Garrett.  There's a drop off.  I'm thinking Dallas needs to re-evaluate leadership roles in that organization.  Throwing money at players has obviously not worked in the past.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
The real question is what to do about Dak. He's wanting Rothlesburger/Rodgers money and he's simply not worth it. Yet I don't see how Jerry can just cut him loose. Where do you go to sign somebody better? It's the same problem Seattle was in. There's nobody comparable you can sign and the longer the wait the more other teams will drive the price up. I think it's a no brainer you pay Z, but D is a real mystery.

Jerry loves to pay "his guys," so I am sure Dak will get paid here at some point.

Oh, I totally agree.  I didn't mean to diminish Romo's talent.  I just think all the money they threw at him didn't help the team.  Although Dak is not as good as Romo was, he has the potential to be under the right coach.  Romo had Parcells in his early years.  Dak has Garrett.  There's a drop off.  I'm thinking Dallas needs to re-evaluate leadership roles in that organization.  Throwing money at players has obviously not worked in the past.

I don't think Garrett is a terrible coach, but he is not a great one either.  They have done well at drafting the last few years and could be a real contender on that alone, but coaching will likely hold them back at some point.  Give Belichick their roster and they'd probably win the whole thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »
Give Belichick their roster and they'd probably win the whole thing.

I bet that hurt..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #390 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
Not at all.  Playful Spygate jabs aside, I have never denied what an awesome coach he is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Training Camp!
« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Tyreek Hill will not be suspended by the NFL. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
They owe Ray Rice an apology. Jesus Christ that’s pathetic.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »
No joke. The one that got screwed the worst was Ezekiel Elliot. The league's own investigator said there was no basis for suspending him and he got six fucking games. They really do seem to make this up as they go along, and based more often than not on whether or not it's time to stick it to an owner.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »

They owe Ray Rice an apology.

Let's get serious.  Ray Rice was caught on video knocking his significant other out with a punch.  No one deserves that POS an apology.

I agree that the NFL's process is totally arbitrary when it comes to these suspensions, but to say Ray Rice is owed an apology seems out of bounds, if you ask me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »
How about Tom Brady Kev? :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
That one was totally arbitrary as well, and I think Goodell stuck to him a little bit because of the criticism he got over destroying the Spygate tapes. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: July 19, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
I think the other 31 owners had their puppet do their dirty work.  I revel seeing someone like Jerry Jones eat shit when he pounds his chest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »

Let's get serious.  Ray Rice was caught on video knocking his significant other out with a punch.  No one deserves that POS an apology.

I agree that the NFL's process is totally arbitrary when it comes to these suspensions, but to say Ray Rice is owed an apology seems out of bounds, if you ask me.

It was more a comment on how fucked up the Hill ruling was. Ray Rice is a piece of shit no doubt but Hill is just as bad.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »

I think the problem is that Ray Rice was punished for no other reason than to mollify the public, and we've yet to see anybody else punished like that. Kareem Hunt will play half this season after something that I consider far worse. Hill plays the whole season and I think it's obviously "more probable than not" that he did something far worse than either of them. We all agree that Goodell acts arbitrarily and capriciously in his capacity as judge, juror, and hangman, but I think you have to go back and look at some of the worst examples, and RR was one of them. I thought Rice got a raw deal, and it seems even more so with the way Roger dictates punishment based on everything but the incident itself.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
I hear what you guys are saying, and I am in no way defending the NFL or Tyreek Hill.  Hill seems like a bad guy by most accounts, and the NFL might as well starting using a dartboard when it comes to handing out punishment.

But hey, the season starts in less than 7 weeks!  :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
The owners don't want to give up the power but there should be an arbiter for discipline.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
No joke. The one that got screwed the worst was Ezekiel Elliot. The league's own investigator said there was no basis for suspending him and he got six fucking games. They really do seem to make this up as they go along, and based more often than not on whether or not it's time to stick it to an owner.

No shit.  If Zeke was playing for any other team at the time, it would've been a totally different story or perhaps no story at all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #404 on: July 22, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Quote from: Dublagent66 link=topic=53408.msg2568639#msg2568639

No shit.  If Zeke was playing for any other team at the time, it would've been a totally different story or perhaps no story at all.

Not sure I buy that. It is hard to imagine Goodell intentionally coming down hard on the Cowboys given that Jerry Jones has as much power as any owner.  I just think their decision-making when it comes to these things is very arbitrary.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
They went after Kraft, and he's pretty powerful. In fact, my hunch is that Zeek was retaliation for the deflategate nonsense. Deflategate was very specifically the other owners sticking it to Kraft. Zeek was probably the same thing. Goodell works for the owners. The owners infight. Sometimes they want to stick it to each other and Goodell is the instrument by which it happens. There's been some pretty good writing about the two factions among the owners.

edit: But then supporting Kev's Magic 8-Ball theory of league discipline there's this: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27239255/nfl-suspends-seahawks-dt-reed-6-games   :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
I personally think they will go easy on the players because the new CBA is coming up in a year.  Another chip they will throw out hoping to slight of hand the players.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Magic 8-Ball theory...I love that.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
I personally think they will go easy on the players because the new CBA is coming up in a year.  Another chip they will throw out hoping to slight of hand the players.
I don't think they're going to budge on discipline. The players have enough stuff to sort out so the league probably won't have to deal with too much pressure.

The smart move would be to outsource it. Hire some law firm (not fucking Wells', somebody competent) or an auditing company to run a sort of parallel justice system. I don't think the owner would go for it, they seem to have developed a penchant for screwing each other via discipline, but it would offer a lot of advantages. For one thing Goodell wouldn't continue to be the face of idiocy. For another if a case gets bungled it's no longer Goodel's idiocy to blame. Lastly, the players could have some semblance of fairness.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »
No, they'll go easy until the ink is dry.  Makes them look sympathetic to the players.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »
Btw,  100% onboard with outsourcing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
Something to consider as well is that three of the Chiefs first eight games are nationally-televised night games, and Goodell knows that a guy like Tyreek Hill is a must-see player, so you want that guy playing in those games to help with the ratings.  It wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Yet it wasnt with Tom Brady.  That's why with the contract coming up it seems plausible that their greesing the skids.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »
But Tom Brady is a cheater!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
 :lol

Imagine .02 air pressure in a football is more important than verbal and physical abuse?

But here we are.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »
Yet it wasnt with Tom Brady.  That's why with the contract coming up it seems plausible that their greesing the skids.
A lot of the owners, including Jerry, were very vocal about the fact that they didn't want Brady suspended for exactly the reason Kev suggests. The dude's ratings gold. Sticking it to Kraft was just more important, apparently. In reality it probably didn't hurt all that much as people still tuned in to see how a Bradyless NE would fare, most likely hoping to see them crash and burn. KC won't have that advantage. Besides, I think the Chiefs are kind of the NFL darlings right now. Everybody wants to see them score 100 points a game (and give up 99) and the league knows the value of that.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
A few owners spoke out but lets be honest here.  There are 32 owners and majority wins.  They act as petulant at those in reality TV shows.  Hell, there should be a reality show on owners. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
Tom Brady is a cheater!

I might make this my new signature.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:26 AM »
 :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Brett Favre wishes he was Tom Brady.  :lol