Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124878 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Gruden prepping to take a kicker in 1st round
« Reply #315 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
Yeah, the last man selected is dubbed Mr. Irrelevant, and there's actually a lot of hoopla about it. Aside from the trophy there's a banquet dinner in his honor and a trip to Disney World. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: April 25, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
A trip to Disney?  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #317 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:45 PM »
See, I love that stuff.  That's pretty cool, especially if the person has a sense of humor about it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2019, 11:42:35 PM »
I honestly cannot think of anything les interesting than the draft.

I am not a huge sports fan these days, but even back when I was, I would agree with this sentiment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2019, 01:32:21 AM »
I used to watch it faithfully every year. Now I just look up the results online after work to get a quick synopsis.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2019, 06:22:54 AM »
I used to watch it faithfully every year. Now I just look up the results online after work to get a quick synopsis.

Yea, I forgot last night to even check, but now that I look.....  :facepalm: oh Gettleman, you really don't want to be the Giants GM do you?  How can a GM today, not know player value  >:( >:( >:(

from espn:

Biggest question: Does Jones have franchise quarterback talent? One scout thought Jones was a "backup" with "pedestrian talent." Jones went to Duke as a non-scholarship player and isn't exactly blessed with a cannon arm or a dynamic skill set. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay didn't see it with Jones, either. He had him ranked as his 59th-best player in the draft. The Giants took him significantly higher. -- Jordan Raanan

Like, if you wanted this guy badly, fine, we need a QB, but the value was no where near #6.  There were much better players available at positions of need as well.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #321 on: April 26, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
It seems we may have seen the last of Tyreek Hill in a Chiefs jersey  :lol

He should be permanently banned from the NFL.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »

Yea, I forgot last night to even check, but now that I look.....  :facepalm: oh Gettleman, you really don't want to be the Giants GM do you?  How can a GM today, not know player value  >:( >:( >:(

from espn:

Biggest question: Does Jones have franchise quarterback talent? One scout thought Jones was a "backup" with "pedestrian talent." Jones went to Duke as a non-scholarship player and isn't exactly blessed with a cannon arm or a dynamic skill set. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay didn't see it with Jones, either. He had him ranked as his 59th-best player in the draft. The Giants took him significantly higher. -- Jordan Raanan

Like, if you wanted this guy badly, fine, we need a QB, but the value was no where near #6.  There were much better players available at positions of need as well.

The Giants are the new Browns.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »

from espn:

Jones was certainly polarizing. For every scout that thought he was second rate, there's another that thinks he's going to be great. He struck me as a huge question mark, but I definitely think the upside was great enough to take a flyer on him (#6 I don't know about, though). By all accounts he's super tough, competitive, and has a phenomenal quarterback mind. Plus there's his size. If a team can work on his mechanics to improve his arm the potential is through the roof.

The Patriots seem to have drafted another Edelman. The kid is by all accounts a great receiver, but he lacks explosiveness and playmaking ability. I gather this was one of those "value" picks. At least they didn't trade down. And I liked the reaction from the Patriots fans in their little box. Their excitement completely froze when the name was announced as they all paused to ask "who the fuck is that?"  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:21 AM »
 :lol

Even though those who paid attention know he was at Foxborough earlier in the month.  What is surprising is for the second year in a row the Pats drafted for needs which they never do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »
heard an interesting scenario about the draft this morning...

what if New England didn't get their card in at the end of the 1st round, the next pick isn't scheduled until Friday.  are they penalized? could they just put in their pick immediately at the beginning of round 2?  seems teams would take that extra day to work the phones if there isn't some kind of penalty.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
Jones was certainly polarizing. For every scout that thought he was second rate, there's another that thinks he's going to be great. He struck me as a huge question mark, but I definitely think the upside was great enough to take a flyer on him (#6 I don't know about, though). By all accounts he's super tough, competitive, and has a phenomenal quarterback mind. Plus there's his size. If a team can work on his mechanics to improve his arm the potential is through the roof.

He definitely has potential and could be good.  He was also coached by Eli/Peyton's QB coach.  He's got a lot of the checks for a NFL QB, no doubt.  But his draft stock was much lower.  I think they reached, and reached very far taking him #6.  And that seems to be my issue with Gettleman is not making the most of what he has in a league where every inch matters, every dollar matters in the cap, and every decision is important, you can't risk losing value you already have.  I already felt they lost value in the Beckham trade and I definitely feel like they did in their top pick too.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »

Even though those who paid attention know he was at Foxborough earlier in the month.  What is surprising is for the second year in a row the Pats drafted for needs which they never do.
I don't see this or Sony Michel as a "need" pick. Quite the opposite, in fact. RB was pretty low on the list of priorities last year, simply because they could pick up any of a dozen players and plug him in. While they do need receivers this year, a possession receiver isn't really the priority. Both of these strike me very much as value picks. They were the best players available to them and they'll make use of them.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
I think with Belichick, you can't confuse the POSITION with the PLAYER.  I think for Belichick, the POSITION of running back is crucial, but he doesn't value any PLAYER in that position that highly, because he knows there are other ways to get what he wants.  I personally think that Belichick makes fun of the organizations that drop tens of millions of dollars on guys like Le'vean Bell like we make fun of musicians that lip synch.   

I don't know what to think about that Giants pick.  Those are the qualities they value as an organization - tough, good positional mind - even if they haven't really shown that lately.   I don't know.   Proof will be in the pudding, I guess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2019, 09:25:16 AM »

I don't see this or Sony Michel as a "need" pick. Quite the opposite, in fact. RB was pretty low on the list of priorities last year, simply because they could pick up any of a dozen players and plug him in. While they do need receivers this year, a possession receiver isn't really the priority. Both of these strike me very much as value picks. They were the best players available to them and they'll make use of them.

Both drafts a running back and a receiver were priorities.  They styles have nothing to do with it though.

The talk last year was they needed a running back when they didn't resign Dion Lewis, the year before Blount left and they signed Gillislee and he didn't pan out.  Now who knew in the first round!  That was very un Belichick like.  Jut like the receiver this year. 

These positions were needs, nobody expected they would come in the first round though.  He usually puts stock in other positions for the 1st round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »

Both drafts a running back and a receiver were priorities.  They styles have nothing to do with it though.

The talk last year was they needed a running back when they didn't resign Dion Lewis, the year before Blount left and they signed Gillislee and he didn't pan out.  Now who knew in the first round!  That was very un Belichick like.  Jut like the receiver this year. 

These positions were needs, nobody expected they would come in the first round though.  He usually puts stock in other positions for the 1st round.
Yeah, I disagree. The position they play will factor into it at some point, three equally valuable players you take the one you need the most, but overall it's about taking the best player for NE. If the best player on the board had been an OL, they'd have taken him last night.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
Yeah, of course NE considered it.  :lol

Q: Have you ever looked into what the scenario is if the clock were to run out on you with the 32nd pick?

NC: It’s a great question. We talked about that before the draft, like what were to happen. However many years ago that was, the clock ran out and then it went to the next team. You don’t have the ability to do that anymore, so if it runs out, eventually you have to pick. You’ve got to figure out something to do. If the clock runs out, nobody’s going to trade so you have to make the pick. It’s a great question. If you do it, you could wait until tomorrow morning. Like, could we wait until seven o’clock tomorrow to make the pick? The league probably wouldn’t like that, but at some point we’d probably have to do something.

Q: Could Arizona jump you?

NC: No, that’s what I mean. They can’t – that whole rule, when that happened – I think it was Baltimore and Minnesota – whatever it was, and they jumped in front of them, like, that’s been eliminated. Eventually you’ve got to make a decision.

Q: Doesn’t a part of you just want to watch the world burn though?

NC: No [laughs]. Nobody would be too happy about that.

SI actually says the rule is still in place, so I'm not sure how it would work. It's conceivable that the draft restarts this morning with AZ officially at 32 and NE pending at 33. Part of me is kind of sorry they didn't try it.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »

Yeah, I disagree. The position they play will factor into it at some point, three equally valuable players you take the one you need the most, but overall it's about taking the best player for NE. If the best player on the board had been an OL, they'd have taken him last night.

I always know they'll go for the best player no matter the position but the last 2 years, it's been different.  Both  #'1 are not the best player on the board at the time so you can look at it filling needs.  You know how he looks at other team for example who pay stupid money to receivers.  The highest they ever paid was to Moss, 9 million.  Hell #11 makes mid 4's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
Yeah, of course NE considered it.  :lol

Q: Have you ever looked into what the scenario is if the clock were to run out on you with the 32nd pick?

NC: It’s a great question. We talked about that before the draft, like what were to happen. However many years ago that was, the clock ran out and then it went to the next team. You don’t have the ability to do that anymore, so if it runs out, eventually you have to pick. You’ve got to figure out something to do. If the clock runs out, nobody’s going to trade so you have to make the pick. It’s a great question. If you do it, you could wait until tomorrow morning. Like, could we wait until seven o’clock tomorrow to make the pick? The league probably wouldn’t like that, but at some point we’d probably have to do something.

Q: Could Arizona jump you?

NC: No, that’s what I mean. They can’t – that whole rule, when that happened – I think it was Baltimore and Minnesota – whatever it was, and they jumped in front of them, like, that’s been eliminated. Eventually you’ve got to make a decision.

Q: Doesn’t a part of you just want to watch the world burn though?

NC: No [laughs]. Nobody would be too happy about that.

SI actually says the rule is still in place, so I'm not sure how it would work. It's conceivable that the draft restarts this morning with AZ officially at 32 and NE pending at 33. Part of me is kind of sorry they didn't try it.

It is amazing the scenarios that go through that man's mind.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #334 on: April 26, 2019, 06:36:27 PM »
I think the draft is a lot more exciting when your team has a lot of room for improvement like mine (Denver). I'm really excited about Denver getting QB Drew Lock in the second round. I've been reading about the connection between Denver and Lock for months now. It's still kind of hard to believe he fell this far in the draft when guys like Jones and Haskins were taken in the top 15.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #336 on: May 13, 2019, 05:41:19 PM »
I'll say it again. The 24 other dudes are the luckiest johns on the face of the earth to have a billionaire as a co-defendant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/in-legal-victory-for-robert-kraft-judge-suppresses-video-in-prostitution-case/ar-AABjfGT?ocid=spartandhp

I wonder if any of them copped out.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
Anyone remember Kellen Winslow Jr?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-nfl-star-winslow-ii-faces-potential-life-in-prison/ar-AABiZRH?ocid=spartandhp

wow and he's going after all these old ladies too wtf is wrong with this dude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
I'll say it again. The 24 other dudes are the luckiest johns on the face of the earth to have a billionaire as a co-defendant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/in-legal-victory-for-robert-kraft-judge-suppresses-video-in-prostitution-case/ar-AABjfGT?ocid=spartandhp

Not many sports fans out of N.E think this way but have a rich man involved helped showed the liberties the police were taking.  We all know he got a tug plus but lets just make sure they are charging correctly and not taking liberties in how they get their information.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-nfl-star-winslow-ii-faces-potential-life-in-prison/ar-AABiZRH?ocid=spartandhp

Okay:  he plays the "CTE" card.    Assuming the jury buys it, what happens if (or when) he dies and is found to be clear of it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »

Okay:  he plays the "CTE" card.    Assuming the jury buys it, what happens if (or when) he dies and is found to be clear of it?

then that might explain why he continuously did these acts?  I don't know, but do you mean what does this mean for the NFL?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »

then that might explain why he continuously did these acts?  I don't know, but do you mean what does this mean for the NFL?

Well, I wasn't thinking about the NFL, but that's a good point.   I was thinking more about the immediate justice aspect.  To make that defense, he has to admit the crime, but concede he was not "himself" (not a legal term, my word), he gets to avoid severe legal penalty, but it's all circumstantial.  Circumstantial evidence is legitimate evidence, but we're talking about a specific case where BY DEFINITION, the point at which the circumstantial evidence becomes hard, direct evidence is the point at which justice/punishment/ is no longer an option (or even possible).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »

Not many sports fans out of N.E think this way but have a rich man involved helped showed the liberties the police were taking.  We all know he got a tug plus but lets just make sure they are charging correctly and not taking liberties in how they get their information.
When they admitted they captured surveillance video of nude men and women getting legitimate massages it created a real problem for them. I was honestly betting against Kraft, even though in principle his argument was correct. Glad it worked out this way.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
So the video evidence will be thrown out, but they were allowed to "monitor" weren't they? Can't the officers just testify to what they "monitored"?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
So the video evidence will be thrown out, but they were allowed to "monitor" weren't they? Can't the officers just testify to what they "monitored"?
No, because they were monitoring via the unlawfully obtained video feed. They could probably say that they "monitored" him entering the establishment and leaving 20 minutes later, but that doesn't help them.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »
I thought the problem was that they recorded the video. I mean, what did the judge agree to when he allowed cameras to be installed in the first place?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
The were allowed to monitor not videotape. It affected those innocent people who legitimately went in for a massage.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
I got that, but can't they testify to what they monitored without having to present the video.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
It affected those innocent people who legitimately went in for a massage.

I wonder who these people are  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »