Author Topic: 2019 NFL Thread v. Chiefs are Champs, Missouri rules the sports world  (Read 124860 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2019 NFL Thread v. Mr. Big Chest on the trade block
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
Well the Pats are trading to get a crazy man in the fold.  Say hello to the newest Patriot, Michael Bennett.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »
They're not giving up much to get him. Swap a 5 for a 7 next year. Not a bad deal at all.

I'm more interested in seeing if they go after Rosen or that kid from Duke. The Duke kid seems to have all of the right characteristics, but his arm doesn't look very strong at all to me, and his passes aren't very tight. He's got great touch, but the looks of it, but I'm not sure that'll cut it in the NFL.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
Can you ever figure out what BB will do?  They have needs and you think he'll draft or trade for that position and never does.  I look forward every year to free agency and the draft to see what he does.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »
Can you ever figure out what BB will do?  They have needs and you think he'll draft or trade for that position and never does.  I look forward every year to free agency and the draft to see what he does.
And it never really seems to make much sense, but works more often than not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10:45 AM »
AB to Chuckyville.

Bye, Bitch...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »
This trade was lose-lose.

The Steelers just lost their best player for little compensation, and the Raiders just gave huge money to a WR which will hamper their ability to strengthen their poor team.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
This trade was lose-lose.

The Steelers just lost their best player for little compensation, and the Raiders just gave huge money to a WR which will hamper their ability to strengthen their poor team.

On the plus side, as a Steelers fan, the cap hit only lasts for one season and the two biggest sources of drama are gone from the team. It's true that I expected them to get more in compensation, but if it helps rid the locker room of cancer then it may well be worth it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
True, it could be addition by subtraction in the long run, but in the short term, he is a huge loss to the team on the field.  He has been arguably the best WR in football for the last 5-6 years and you don't lose that guy and not feel the effects.  And now we will see how good Smith-Schuster really is.  He looked great last year as the number 2 with A. Brown taking all of the coverage, but now he won't be afforded the luxury of single coverage on a regular basis.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
Very true. It will be interesting to see if last year's 3rd round pick has a big improvement this off-season, or if they try to use a pick in the draft on a replacement.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
Seems to me that Oakland has never been a particularly good environment for malcontent receivers.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
Seems to me that Oakland has never been a particularly good environment for malcontent receivers.

It has a chance of becoming a successful match if Carr returns to the form of a few years ago. Otherwise, he'll (AB) will be crying on social media before the season is over, and starting the bullshit that he pulled this past season over again. He had Tomlin that was too easy on him up to this point. Chucky will wear his ass out in no time flat.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
I hate the idea of my Broncos having to go against AB twice a year now  :facepalm: I'm not sure if Gruden's plan will ultimately work out, but it's certainly looking a lot better now that they got AB for peanuts and have several first round picks in this year's draft. It seems like the Amari Cooper trade was as good of an example as you'll ever see of a win-win trade in today's NFL.

I didn't want AB in Denver, but if I knew that was all it would take to get him, I would've been fine with it...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

It has a chance of becoming a successful match if Carr returns to the form of a few years ago. Otherwise, he'll (AB) will be crying on social media before the season is over, and starting the bullshit that he pulled this past season over again. He had Tomlin that was too easy on him up to this point. Chucky will wear his ass out in no time flat.
The guy's spent his entire career surrounded by great talent. Despite what he thinks of Rothlisburger he's taking a huge downgrade here. He's always had a good run game behind him. He's always had another great receiver opposite of him, and maybe a great TE. He's going to a team in rebuilding mode that's going to suck for a couple of years. I don't think he'll handle it well. After a 35-6 loss where he goes 1-13-0 is that $30m going to keep him in line?
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »
Rotating coaching staffs have hurt him as well.  He needs stability.   Good stability though.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »
Rotating coaching staffs have hurt him as well.  He needs stability.   Good stability though.

Do you mean, Carr? Yeah, it's never good to see a team changing their coaching staff on a near yearly basis. The Raiders, Browns, Bucs and a few other teams seem to be in a constant cycle of doing that. I realize that the Raiders are committed to Gruden for the long-haul considering how much money they paid him, but certain franchises seem to breed trouble from within all the time, and they're one of them.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
Good to see AB leave Pittsburgh. Good luck in Oakland.

Mark it down now, if the Raiders start out the season 1-3 or 1-4 or something like that, fireworks are going to go off.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
The Browns aren't fucking around

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »
Changing of the gaurd.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »
Crazy. Browns are all in for 2019.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
What an exciting start to free agency! I was checking my phone for updates whenever I had down time at work today  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
Thought the Jets were the NY team having a shitty day today when Anthony Barr went back on his contract agreement with them, but nobody seems to like this OBJ deal for the Giants.
Photobucket sucks.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:07 AM »
Good to see AB leave Pittsburgh. Good luck in Oakland.

Mark it down now, if when the Raiders start out the season 1-3 or 1-4 or something like that, fireworks are going to go off.

FTFY

Meanwhile, loads of changes in store for the Ravens defense next year.  The two lost FAs were/are not worth the hefty contracts their new teams signed them for.  The team finally has some cap space to work with. 

Most understand Suggs move to Arizona, where he lived from 8th grade on through his years at Arizona State.  Had lost more than a step last year, but still was that one guy I'd watch on defense.  What they lose in the locker room and on the sidelines, though, is immeasurable.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:16:23 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »
Bell to the Jets, sounds about right  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2019, 07:55:44 AM »
Didn't the Steelers offer him 70 Million and he just signed for 50 million for the same amount of years?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
Sucks to trade OBJ, but it's not the worst thing ever.  Giants clearly need to rebuild and he was a lot of money and headache.  Great player no doubt and I don't want him off the team, but the Giants have needs.  Just sucks cause I feel like there's no hope for next season though.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2019, 08:05:29 AM »
Didn't the Steelers offer him 70 Million and he just signed for 50 million for the same amount of years?

I honestly can't remember all the details, and don't care to look them up, but I think the difference is the guaranteed money. Bell wanted more guaranteed, and I think the Jets gave him that. But if you take into account the $14 million and change he left sitting on the table last year, I'm not sure if he's ahead of the game here or not.

I'm sure someone can post the details and correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »
Sucks to trade OBJ, but it's not the worst thing ever.  Giants clearly need to rebuild and he was a lot of money and headache.  Great player no doubt and I don't want him off the team, but the Giants have needs.  Just sucks cause I feel like there's no hope for next season though.
It might be a good move for them long-run, but they borked the timing of it. Gettelman really showed his ass here. "We didn't sign him to trade him" was the correct attitude. Signing him and then trading him cost them 16m in dead cap space. Moreover, they still haven't moved on from Eli. What good is he without his best receiver? Ideally they parlay those two picks into their new QB. Dumping Eli would actually save them enough to cover the OBJ dead money. Working in a new QB is a whole lot easier when he's got an elite receiver, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »
Yea, my only guess is they are going to put the focus on a run game, build the OL, and get a QB to groom.  If they can get Haskins, I would be happy.  The timing is odd, I agree, I think that's what hurts the most here not so much that we are moving on from a stud WR.   I'm not sold on this GM yet and this isn't helping him, but I've got to see how their plan comes out before I really start hating on him and dealing with Eli is a big part of that. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

I honestly can't remember all the details, and don't care to look them up, but I think the difference is the guaranteed money. Bell wanted more guaranteed, and I think the Jets gave him that. But if you take into account the $14 million and change he left sitting on the table last year, I'm not sure if he's ahead of the game here or not.

I'm sure someone can post the details and correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct. He wanted guaranteed money, and the Steelers weren't willing to go that far. I can't say that I blame them considering his injury history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2019, 09:38:08 AM »
Rumor has it that L Bell was hoping someone would top the Jets offer, but no one did, and we know he was going to the highest bidder, so there you have it.

They both got paid, but in the end, Bell went from the Steelers to the Jets and Brown from the Steelers to the Raiders.  Major steps down when looking at the organizations.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »
As a Giants fan I’m glad OBJ is gone. He was a cancer to this team, and he’ll be a cancer to the Browns. He is a “me” player and always has been and proved last year he always will be. It’s a shame because the guy has so much talent, but until he can stop being selfish and learn to control his emotions, he’ll never be a winner.

With that said, the Giants are in for a long season, but in the long run I think this will be good for the team as OBJ was definitely not the answer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
As a Giants fan I’m glad OBJ is gone. He was a cancer to this team, and he’ll be a cancer to the Browns. He is a “me” player and always has been and proved last year he always will be. It’s a shame because the guy has so much talent, but until he can stop being selfish and learn to control his emotions, he’ll never be a winner.

With that said, the Giants are in for a long season, but in the long run I think this will be good for the team as OBJ was definitely not the answer.

I don't get this take.  Is he a diva and a "me" guy?  Yes, but so are a lot of wide receivers, especially the star ones; it's the nature of the position. The way I see it, the Giants stunk last year, and they have/had much bigger issues that Odell Beckham, Jr.  I am not an advocate of paying a WR big money, so I get wanting to trade him and get that contract off the books, but saying he'll never be a winner seems a little odd. 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »

I don't get this take.  Is he a diva and a "me" guy?  Yes, but so are a lot of wide receivers, especially the star ones; it's the nature of the position. The way I see it, the Giants stunk last year, and they have/had much bigger issues that Odell Beckham, Jr.  I am not an advocate of paying a WR big money, so I get wanting to trade him and get that contract off the books, but saying he'll never be a winner seems a little odd.
It’s much more than him just being a diva and a “me” guy. He mysteriously disappears during games (only when thing aren’t going well for him oddly) and the excuse is that he needed hydration, one of these times being a Thursday night game in the middle of October in NJ. He numerous times outwardly complained about his coaches, playcalling, and his teammates (specifically Eli) to the media. After getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for distasteful TD celebrations he tells the media he doesn’t care that he cost his team by getting the penalties. The guy fought with the kicking net on the sideline (and lost) when he wasn’t getting the ball, them proposed to it once things were getting better. Let’s not forget the guy also can’t seem to stay on the field. To those not living in the NY area and following this team there is a lot you may not see. This guy was bad for the team and as soon as things don’t go his way his true colors will show again in Cleveland I’m sure.  Should be interesting with him and Mayfield on the same team. Sure it could go well, but it also could go very, very bad.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:49 AM »
So free agency was pretty good to the Jets. Jesus Christ. Obviously what teams do in March doesn’t matter, it’s all about what they do from September to December and hopefully beyond, but I’m happy with the moves they made over the past couple of days.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2019, 09:21:51 AM »
Is it me showing my age, but have the last couple seasons shown that it's very likely that the Brown, Bell, and Beckham (there's a law firm for you) deals are not going to work out for anyone other than the Steelers and the Giants?    Are you telling me the Steelers missed Bell THAT much?   Does anyone now think that the Jets are a Super Bowl contender?  Hell, do you think they're even going to challenge the Pats for the division?   

I'm starting to think that paying these guys insane money is, well, insane. 

Also, I heard the lovely Molly Qerim Rose (Uconn!) say that the Giants are interested in OSU's Murray, even though most of the mock drafts I've seen seem to totally ignore that possibility.