Author Topic: The Monkees - official discussion  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The Monkees - official discussion
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
So yeah, why no discussion of The Monkees here? Ok, I get it. They aren’t a “real” band. They are a “manufactured” one, a TV fad, the Marx Brothers version of Beatles, they didn’t write their own music, they didn’t play their own instruments… But their first four albums were stellar. Their 5th is still good, and has their best, and most identifiable, hit. I recognize that I still listen to their music with the nostalgic glasses of someone who loved their TV show when it had its renaissance in the 80s. Even today that show will make me chuckle with its irreverent humor. But the music is still good, and even if it was handed to them on a silver platter, they still had to be The Monkees, on screen, in the studio, eventually on tour, and maybe most importantly, for the fans. 

A clip from an episode where the devil buys Peter’s soul in exchange for the ability to play the harp. Mike delivers the most moving synopsis of music I’ve ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27DdrvT2Ug

Focus: Discuss the Monkees music, the band, the TV show, and their legacy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: The Monkees - official discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »
I actually thought the new album they released a few years back was actually quite good. A very good pop record with catchy tunes. I really liked She Makes Me Laugh and Birth of an Accidental Hipster.

Other than that, I don’t know much about them. Other than Marcia had a crush on Davy Jones on The Brady Bunch
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:57 AM »
Such a great and underrated band. I get annoyed when they get criticised about not playing on their own stuff. They had the studio aces in The Wrecking Crew playing on lots of their songs - the same guys that were used by the Beach Boys, The Byrds, and many other big acts. But somehow The Monkees got singled out every time.

My favourite album is either 'Headquarters' or 'Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd'. I tend to listen more to 'Headquarters' nowadays. Those two albums is where they took more control, played the majority of the instruments and wrote more of the songs themselves. Songs like 'You Just May Be The One' and 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' are just classics. The 50th anniversary album is kind of great too - 'You Bring The Summer', 'Me & Magdalena', and 'She Makes Me Laugh' are very good songs from outside writers.

Oh, and if you've seen the movie 'Head' from 1968 - it's one of the trippiest movies from that era :lol Weird stuff, but it has a few great songs like 'Circle Sky' and 'Can You Dig It'.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:24:54 AM »
The thing I remember most about The Monkees is the theme song and the episode where they were shooting people with their hands.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »
I thought my Monkee knowledge was pretty extensive, but I just learned very recently Mike envisioned the band being:

Peter on guitar - Mike thought he was a better guitarist then himself
Mike on bass - His bass skills were solid
Davy on drums - Davy had training on drums
Micky as vocalist - Clearly their best vocalist who should be out front

My favourite album is either 'Headquarters' or 'Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd'.

Mine too. I'd probably put PAC&J slightly ahead of Headquarters, but they could flip any given day. There is quite a bit of depth on those albums missing from the more straightforward pop/rock oriented first two albums.

Oh, and if you've seen the movie 'Head' from 1968 - it's one of the trippiest movies from that era :lol Weird stuff, but it has a few great songs like 'Circle Sky' and 'Can You Dig It'.

Oddly I've never seen this all the way through. I've read it's pretty revolutionary in terms of film making.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »
I've always loved The Monkees. I have the whole TV show on DVD, a box set of music and a handful of albums. I loved watching the show as a kid and always enjoyed the music. The Mike songs are usually some of my favorites. Although, Shades of Grey might be my actual favorite.

Their 1996 album Justus was also quite good. Written and performed entirely by them.

Head is always something that has eluded me. I keep meaning to buy a copy as I have never seen it and I want it to sit next to my TV show box sets.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
 :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

When Davy passed away a few years ago it was really hard for my wife (and myself by extension).

With Peter passing away, it feels similar if not worse.

At least he is at peace now as he had the cancer for quite awhile. I want to say at least since I've known my wife which I met her in 2011.

I'm gonna have to write something detailed in my blog soon about this.

I do wonder now if the Mike & Micky tour will feature some Peter tunes in tribute/memory.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
Just saw that and came to post. Peter was always my least favorite Monkee on the show (so let's say the character of "Peter" was my least favorite). Could be perhaps because he was playing a character least like who he was in real life, whereas the other three were more playing versions of themselves. 

“I refute any claims that any four guys could’ve done what we did,” Tork told Guitar World in 2013. “There was a magic to that collection. We couldn’t have chosen each other. It wouldn’t have flown. But under the circumstances, they got the right guys.”

There is much truth to this, with a caveat. There was definitely a magic to the 4 of them, as individuals and as a unit. On the flip side, the fact that they didn't find each other organically hurt them in the long run after they left Kirchner. They each had their own musical proclivities. That can certainly work. A band can blend different styles together to make them their own. But after PAC&J their albums start to sound more disjointed because of the different styles each band member brought to the table. Bands usually come together based on a unified musical direction. Think how JP and JM hooked up with MP at Berklee when they realized they all liked Rush (I think that is how the story goes?)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
So after all these years of being a fan, I finally watched Head. I had to spread it out over a couple nights because I don't have 90+ minutes I can spare in my life to sit through a whole movie. In this case, it worked out well because this was quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen and I cannot imagine sitting through more than 15-20 minutes of it at a time. I knew it was not a traditional film; and I knew it wasn't a 90 minute episode of the show, so I wasn't expecting that, like I am sure lots of people where back in 1968(?). But holy hell what was the plan behind this travesty?

The Porpoise Song is glorious, however.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
Good timing for this thread. Just saw them live on Axis TV last night,  not a bad show..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:08:36 AM »
So after all these years of being a fan, I finally watched Head. I had to spread it out over a couple nights because I don't have 90+ minutes I can spare in my life to sit through a whole movie. In this case, it worked out well because this was quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen and I cannot imagine sitting through more than 15-20 minutes of it at a time. I knew it was not a traditional film; and I knew it wasn't a 90 minute episode of the show, so I wasn't expecting that, like I am sure lots of people where back in 1968(?). But holy hell what was the plan behind this travesty?

The Porpoise Song is glorious, however.

:lol

Yeah I know, I've seen it once and have no desire to watch it again. Some great music in there though. Porpoise Song, Circle Sky, Can You Dig It.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 12:39:37 AM »
people say the same thing about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, lol  ::)

Head to me is an experiment that has its moments, but I guess I don't look at as needing a pure coherent story-line.

The Zappa cameo, the moment with Ray Nitschke, mystical belly dancing scene, to how they did Circle Sky.

Even the Davy Jones Daddy's Song scene is entertaining enough.

I even like how at points it seems like all the guys are inside a larger place (Head) almost like what Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze did with Being John Malkovich.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
Cool Chris Top 20 Monkees songs - I don't rank songs by nature so just did this as a fun 5 minute exercise.

20. This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day
19. Laugh
18. She Hangs Out
17. The Kind of Girl I Could Love
16. Words
15. Sometime in the Morning
14. Tomorrow's Gonna be Another Day
13. Randy Scouse Git
12. Sweet Young Thing
11. You Just May Be the One
10. Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
9. You Told Me
8. The Porpoise Song
7. Riu Chiu
6  All of Your Toys
5. Shades of Gray
4. Love Is Only Sleeping
3  The Door into Summer
2. No Time
1. The Girl I Knew Somewhere

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

this is a day I've feared for, for many years.

My wife is crushed..and probably will be for awhile. And she's supposed to get her COVID booster in a few hours (her 2nd vaccine side effects were hellish back in May for about 36 hours).  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
Always my favorite Monkee. Loved his songs and just loved him.

He finished the farewell tour with Micky and then said farewell himself. I feel so bad for Micky. He must be just a wreck.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 07:27:00 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 12:19:56 PM »
I knew when I saw this thread resurrected that someone had died.

I thought Nesmith died a few years ago though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »
I knew when I saw this thread resurrected that someone had died.

I thought Nesmith died a few years ago though.

No that was Peter Tork (2019). Davy Jones died in 2012. There's only Micky Dolenz left now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 12:36:11 PM »
My cousin saw the Monkees a month ago live and say that Nesmith looked frail.  Sad day.  R.I.P.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »
On the recent tour, Mike was or seemed happy, although in my wife's perception, he wasn't quite himself. A little kooky and of course just singing, and not actually playing guitar, unlike on their last tour in 2019.

there's A LOT more to Mike and his health that has been discussed frequently among the fans community in recent years.

even to the point Christian and Circe ended up leaving the tour about 1/3 the way through for unclear reasons.

Some of that stuff may come out soon, but for now, it's a day to just mourn the passing of a legend, regardless of how well (or not so well) he was.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »
I'd be curious to hear about that behind-the-scenes issue.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
Damn. Mike was always my favorite on the show, I appreciated his understated humor, especially with all the craziness going on. And at quick glance over my top 20 Monkee songs, he wrote several of them.

I posted this clip in my original post in this thread, I apologize for posting it again. One of my favorite TV clips I will never tire of watching. I know that speech was scripted, but damn if that didn't come from Mike's heart. Thank you for all the laughs and great tunes.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 10:47:05 PM »
Damn. Mike was always my favorite on the show, I appreciated his understated humor, especially with all the craziness going on. And at quick glance over my top 20 Monkee songs, he wrote several of them.

I posted this clip in my original post in this thread, I apologize for posting it again. One of my favorite TV clips I will never tire of watching. I know that speech was scripted, but damn if that didn't come from Mike's heart. Thank you for all the laughs and great tunes.

I knew before I even opened the video what it was. Great episode.

RIP Mike. I'm a bereaver.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 11:35:47 PM »