Poll

y'all excited for the next thank you scientist record?

yes
1 (25%)
yes
1 (25%)
yes
2 (50%)
i'm a contrarian
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Final Round Results)  (Read 41354 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Final Round Results Pt. 1)
« Reply #1015 on: May 05, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Congrats ariich!

This was a pretty fun roulette to run, moreso than my last one for sure, but I still dunno if I'd do it again because it makes each round of listening and results still a decent time commitment  :lol

I did get a ton more music out of this one than the last one, I feel, though. Nothing ordered yet because I've been brickwalled by my huge backlog since the roulette started but I've already got a few things I'm definitely getting and a lot of others I'm pretty likely to get too. Gonna keep updating this thread with album listens as I go through them.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Final Round Results)
« Reply #1016 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
anyways as previously stated i already started on album listens so yo

actually tbh i only listened to the first two songs here, the other full song was also pretty great so yeah getting this one for sure, no further comment, these guys rule. excited for a full album whenever they put one out

i don't think any other songs on this album are as interesting as aspire angelic, but i was into some of it. i can also see this growing on me too. dunno. i'm not checking out the other album by these guys because it's like a huge double album and i already know i absolutely don't need that much of this sound, but this was pretty solid

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1017 on: May 05, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
Seems it was really close, scoring-wise. I'm curious how much the concept scoring factored in to it.

Congrats Ariich!

At least I didn't get eliminated in the first round like last time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1018 on: May 05, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »
it wasn't that close, song-wise, tbh

ariich's low scoring songs were mostly short tracks & there were, as previously mentioned, 5 songs that scored 8 or above  :lol

and your song length on average was a lot longer too. just taking the flat average of the song scores is, again, something i would never do :P

the concept didn't really factor in that much but they were fun to have

also yeah no absu here. thankfully :P

i did like your album overall but it was kind of a slog to sit through five times, vs. ariich's whose i was looking forward to every time. that kind of feeling right there is what made it pretty easy to rank these

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1019 on: May 05, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
Fair enough.

My main goal was to send at least a few bands that you would dig enough to look in to further. Seems mission accomplished.
My secondary goal was to turn you in to a Moonsorrow fan. Mission failed........The original concept album had 2 Moonsorrow songs on it. The other one was 26 minutes long.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: May 05, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
that sounds like it would've been a disaster  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: May 05, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Seems it was really close, scoring-wise. I'm curious how much the concept scoring factored in to it.

Congrats Ariich!

At least I didn't get eliminated in the first round like last time.

At least I didn't get eliminated in the last round like last time! :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1022 on: May 05, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »
Awesome! :D

Yeah I did save DFD, Psion and Soilwork in case I made it to the final. Really glad you dug them. I'd considered all of them for your last roulette, though I couldn't have sent the Psion anyway as the EP was shorter than your minimum length. Especially pleased you liked their two tracks so much, I was pretty sure you'd like them but wasn't sure how much. I don't return to the EP very often but every now and then I do and I enjoy it a lot each time.

I'm obviously extremely pleased but considering how many rounds in both of your last roulettes I've just scraped through, I don't feel particularly deserving of double champion status. :lol On the other hand, I'm pleased with my tactical approach saving my strongest options for the final.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1023 on: May 05, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
PSION

actually tbh i only listened to the first two songs here, the other full song was also pretty great so yeah getting this one for sure, no further comment, these guys rule. excited for a full album whenever they put one out
Awesome! You may have realised that the main songwriter is Tom Maclean, formerly of Haken. He tends to have a lot of different things on the go. Haven't spoken to him in a while so will need to find out when (and I guess if) we should expect more music from Psion.

SOILWORK

i don't think any other songs on this album are as interesting as aspire angelic, but i was into some of it. i can also see this growing on me too. dunno. i'm not checking out the other album by these guys because it's like a huge double album and i already know i absolutely don't need that much of this sound, but this was pretty solid
I mean, I love The Living Infinite and in a way it's a bit more varied in tone/energy levels, but yeah I can see how it might be a bit much. Their recent shorter albums are all pretty damn great though. Ride Majestic is my favourite but they're all a little different (I mean, all very much within the same style but with different nuances and emphases). Might be worth checking out the new one, Verkligheten.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1024 on: May 05, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
god, i already have way too much on my plate atm to add anything else, sorry  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1025 on: May 05, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
Oh I didn't mean right now, obviously. :lol I meant if later one you feel like checking another album of theirs out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: May 05, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »

a mix of a lot of different stuff here, as i expected. i didn't like all of it (some nu-metal-esque stuff that was eugh, one RHCP-ish song i didn't like) but there were a lot of other cool tracks here too. i'll at least check out the other album i wanted to listen to for sure. i kinda want to get something from these guys based on the intrigue alone but i'm not certain

okay the intro of the album being what the title track reprises at the end is good to know. anyways i mostly liked this too, there was some djenty stuff in one or two of the tracks i wasn't so hot on and i'm sad it's only a brief EP, but, gonna be checking out their first album as well (which i think i did listen to once before but i don't remember it at all lol)

hmm. again a few weird tracks i wasn't so keen on but in general i did like a lot of this. it does sound a lot like the kind of stuff late 00's sigur ros was putting out, though a bit more streamlined. i can't say i prefer that approach but i did like most of this a fair bit

maybe more tonight, we'll see, got other stuff i wanna do besides listen to music all day though  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1027 on: May 05, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
Fair warning on Mandroid Echostar's full length album, simply put, it's just not quite as good as that EP.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1028 on: May 06, 2019, 01:05:04 AM »
duly noted, but i'll see for myself :P

in the meantime:

oh this album is like a billion years long but DAMN does it sound good. inclined to say the song you sent was one of the weaker tracks off the album, tbh, just on first listen. i still don't know if this is quite altar of plagues-level black metal but it's not far behind. honestly the crushing length and maybe a bit of lack of flavor are my only real gripes but the core sound is so good i'm gonna be all over this one for sure

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »

i was sent another song from this album in like, my second roulette and i don't remember it at all even relistening to it here. so uhh anyways yeah i kind of dig this but there's nothing here that really... stood out to me, either, they write pretty solid music but i wasn't as into it as i feel i should be with the style. also it's super short lol

well i like this more than i remember liking their second album. it's definitely kinda opeth-y throughout but not as strong as some other soundalikes. and the songs get kinda diverse, though i was always expecting to find their sound more... colorful than it seems to be. i liked this though. the closer ended kinda anticlimactically it felt? shrug

i found my "review" of the other album here and maybe i'll try relistening to this one but i don't have high expectations i was probably right a year ago
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:36:36 PM by Parama »

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1030 on: May 06, 2019, 10:45:56 PM »
Nah, your review is pretty spot on for Perihelion Ship's latest album. I was so disappointed in that album when it came out. The first one is where it's at. :hefdaddy
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
Well rats... I obviously enjoyed playing and I'm glad you enjoyed the concept of my last submission, if not the songs. This has even a lot of fun though.

Congrats Ariich! Those are some badass Soilwork songs for sure.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »

yeah i'm not surprised here but i wasn't too into this one. tbh i only got about halfway through it, this kind of folk isn't my thing, i liked the song that was sent well enough but it isn't really representative of the album & i don't like that song -that- much compared to some of the other stuff you've sent, either, so

pretty solid darker prog rock, actually. interesting how there are other motifs that appear in let go throughout some of the other tracks before. also, i feel like let go is better out of the context of your concept album 'cause the lyrics (which i couldn't find a lyrics sheet for) don't quiiite fit the theme, but out of that context feels more effective? anyways, i wasn't huge on this but i do wanna relisten at the very least
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:44:18 PM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »

this is... okay black metal, i guess. didn't mind it but it doesn't stand out much except for the strings, and they're only really present on the first and last tracks iirc. the production issues are prevalent throughout and it just doesn't feel very interesting? might revisit but eehh there's definitely better black metal even in this contest alone

not surprised here at all but not much of this is for me. i honestly didn't finish the last few tracks 'cause i just completely lost interest. nothing else really has the intensity of precious things and winter is nice (was played in plug last week so i heard it there too) but a few other tracks i didn't like and in general just... not my thing

i said i had a lot of stuff to get through but like half the list is 7.5's and below, oops
i don't know how much other stuff there is here i'll want to follow up on but i guess we'll see

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1034 on: May 09, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »

not surprised here at all but not much of this is for me. i honestly didn't finish the last few tracks 'cause i just completely lost interest. nothing else really has the intensity of precious things and winter is nice (was played in plug last week so i heard it there too) but a few other tracks i didn't like and in general just... not my thing

i said i had a lot of stuff to get through but like half the list is 7.5's and below, oops
i don't know how much other stuff there is here i'll want to follow up on but i guess we'll see

Fair enough. I'd suggest you'd listen to Me and a Gun though. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but it's one of the most emotional and harrowing songs I know.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1035 on: May 10, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »

y'know what, this was pretty nice. just really chill folky songwriter stuff but i guess i was totally okay with that tonight

iiii just don't get it. to me this is just the most inoffensive and uninteresting possible take on "jazz rock" but maybe i'm spoiled because TYS just does "jazz rock" so much better. they're talented enough musicians but there's hardly anything here that has any personality or flavor to it. maybe it's just me but i was just bored by this

it feels like they're trying to do something completely different with each track which results in some working and others not so much. i dunno. it doesn't have the intensity i tend to look for in black metal, for the most part, but there were a few tracks i liked?

basically i echo my thoughts about the title track, this has a sound that i like but basically no personality to go alongside it. i still did enjoy it, more than the todtgelichter album, but it's also kinda short on top of not really... standing out
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:50:12 AM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: May 12, 2019, 01:09:48 AM »

i kinda dig this but at the same time it feels overlong and way less diverse than it should be. ehh. i might revisit it but probably not

okay look i know this is like, one of your favorite albums ever puppies, but i just... don't get it. all of these songs are too damn long, and even the album itself is too long, going on like 10 minutes past the point where the last song "actually" ends. and pimea felt like the weakest of the main four songs too, though tbh i didn't relisten to it here because it's 14 minutes and i'm tired... i just wish I understood this album, or this band's sound in general, I guess? I have their 2016 album which is solid but I barely revisit it and this seems even less up my alley than that one. sigh. just gonna move on from this one, unfortunately

i'm gonna shelve the albums from repeat artists on this round's list for the moment (i have a few i wanna check out another thing from) since i have other stuff to do but

also gotta like, actually place an order soon, which i haven't done since like before or right around the time i started this roulette

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1037 on: May 12, 2019, 02:27:29 AM »
FWIW my favourite Moonsorrow albums are V: Hävitetty and Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa, which are sandwiched between the two you've heard. IIRC Hävitetty and Varjoina are clearly more melodic than them; I even had one song shortlisted for Evermind's EP round but didn't end up using it.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1038 on: May 12, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »
FWIW my favourite Moonsorrow albums are V: Hävitetty and Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa, which are sandwiched between the two you've heard. IIRC Hävitetty and Varjoina are clearly more melodic than them; I even had one song shortlisted for Evermind's EP round but didn't end up using it.
While I would agree that they are more melodic, Verisakeet just nails the atmosphere I'm looking for perfectly (although V is very very close). Yes the songs are long, but to me it gives them the time and space they need to evolve and build up naturally.

Parama, I'm glad you gave the album a shot. I understand it's not for everyone, but I think everyone should hear it at least once to make an informed decision (and if I'm being honest, it took me several listens to finally "get" Moonsorrow). Perhaps it's something you can return to in a years time and it will click for you, perhaps not. Either way, it doesn't bother me that you didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, since our music tastes overlap quite a bit across several genres. If you are looking for something more melodic and varied you could try the other Moonsorrow song I was going to send, Tuleen ajettu maa, from the V: Havitetty album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1039 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:16 AM »
bumping this as i took time today to go through all the other roulette albums i had planned

mmm yeah i didn't care much for this one either, only listened about halfway through it though. the style of metal they take most from is not a style that gels well with me. feels like ariich cherrypicked some of their absolute best stuff (or at least the ones that appeal most to me) that gave an impression they'd sound a different way than they actually do (and the way they do sound is a lot more in line with what i expected them to sound like, unfortunately). just not for me, oh well

hmm, i dunno, i liked this one too. i don't feel particularly "wowed" by either of the albums/EPs I've listened to, but I enjoy both if nothing else. will probably not end up a purchase but we'll see

okay, this wasn't as bad as i remember it being, but i definitely didn't like it as much as their first one. this one seems to mix the organs a lot higher & the guitars a lot lower, which isn't to my preference, though i guess it does seem a bit more diverse too? shrug. it's fine but if i'm gonna follow up with one of these it's gonna be the other one

wanted to revisit this one cause i haven't actually done so in a while and yeah, it's a lot better than their later stuff, i know you did originally want to send something from this one ariich and it probably would've scored better, though not like it really matters in the end. though i am curious which song (or songs) you planned to send. this one doesn't have synths and the drummer is consistently fantastic, among other things, though, so yeah i might revisit this one some more

hmm. i was at the very least more into this than their latest one, though i wasn't blown away by it either? but uhh, the remaster specifically, the production sounded better than i remember their latest album sounding even though i think this remaster came out first??? anyways, yeah, it's a bit too long for sure but i enjoyed this at least a decent bit