Poll

y'all excited for the next thank you scientist record?

yes
1 (25%)
yes
1 (25%)
yes
2 (50%)
i'm a contrarian
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Final Round Results)  (Read 41372 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Round 1 Hangman/First Impressions)
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »

eeehhh this one was really quite bland. icarus was like the most energetic song on the record and it isn't exactly fast-paced to begin with, this whole thing just felt really dry especially for an hour-long record. oh well

technically this should be the last one on my list for the last round but tbh i wanna check out the atoma album too just to see if there's better stuff there because the sound absolutely is my style i just had issues with the production and the specific song used, not impossible there's cooler stuff there tho & i already know puppies doesn't intend to reuse them anyways so why not

also i'm gonna start writeups tomorrow so by friday night i should be able to start posting results.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »
Yeah, I would give the album a listen. To me it's about a 7/10 album. And as I mentioned before, the only reason I used that specific song was for the lyrical content.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »
you told me you had all your EPs and your concept album ready before i even posted prelim results so that's how i know you don't plan to reuse any bands across any of your submissions  :corn

i feel like i could dig the style since that brand of melodic, atmospheric death metal is something i can dig if it's done well (read: mithras, irreversible mechanism, sulphur aeon)

just, the production, man  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
you told me you had all your EPs and your concept album ready before i even posted prelim results so that's how i know you don't plan to reuse any bands across any of your submissions  :corn

i feel like i could dig the style since that brand of melodic, atmospheric death metal is something i can dig if it's done well (read: mithras, irreversible mechanism, sulphur aeon)

just, the production, man  :lol
Yeah, the production is a little weak.

Speaking of having all of my EP's and album done. I'm actually scrapping my idea for this next round (maybe) and reworking a new EP from the ground up that has nothing to do with the story I've created so far. I've had a creative spark for a different short story, so to speak. I may save the original Round 2 EP as a post roulette submission. Plus I'll be returning to the main story for the album round.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:27 PM »
alright  :metal

honestly from how you ended the story on this EP i don't even know where you'd go from there :P

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
alright  :metal

honestly from how you ended the story on this EP i don't even know where you'd go from there :P
I do have a conclusion/resolution for the album round, but this next round was going to be a prequel.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
well your concept is some kind of star war so maybe it's best to skip the prequels, yeah

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
well your concept is some kind of star war so maybe it's best to skip the prequels, yeah
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »

so like, no other track on this is like the title track apparently. it's more atmospheric and even decently electronic? and in that context the production works well for what it's trying to do, it's just on that one heavy track that it feels wrong and it definitely made it feel out of place on your EP too
but the album as a whole? i kinda dig this. dunno if i'm super into it but this feels like the arcane roots situation where the one song i heard was not really much like the rest of the album and gave me expectations for something that the album wasn't trying to be

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2019, 05:20:11 AM »
I love the pace of this roulette, makes me feel like I'm still a frequent poster :heart
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
I love the pace of this roulette, makes me feel like I'm still a frequent poster :heart
OMG trains back! I haven't seen you in years!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2019, 12:11:06 PM »
When you have ~40 songs and ~4 hours of music to consider I don't know why you'd expect the pace to match a "10 songs in one round" roulette but alright :P

Honestly getting really annoyed at y'all considering the expectations were set before you even signed up, it's been in the rules since the very beginning

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
Easy there tiger (sport(slick(buddy)))  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
Don't Ragequit your own roulette :corn

By the way, I should have my EP for the next round to you later tonight. I just need to do the write up for it.

Of course if I get cut it wont matter.

Listen to it anyways!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2019, 06:36:38 PM »
i won't ragequit, i'll just rule 6 people if they keep complaining  :angel:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2019, 06:47:54 PM »
Pretty much have the concept album done. Still trying to figure something out for the next round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Sent for the next round  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »
When you have ~40 songs and ~4 hours of music to consider I don't know why you'd expect the pace to match a "10 songs in one round" roulette but alright :P

Honestly getting really annoyed at y'all considering the expectations were set before you even signed up, it's been in the rules since the very beginning
Hey, all I'm saying is that I like it. In a "10 song per round" roulette I'd be falling behind waaaay too much and dragging down the host's pace.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Yeah four writeups are done as of last night, I'll try to do the last three tonight but if not then Saturday for sure

Lotta new releases this week to keep up with

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
Am I eliminated yet or do I need to start putting the next EP together?

:corn

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #581 on: March 22, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
Uhh I sent a hiphop EP, pretty sure youre safe  :P

Edit: nevermind two people get kicked
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
No comment on either of the above.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »
sent my ep
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: March 23, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
Results, Part 1

1st Place: Puppies_On_Acid – Starfall Ascension Book 2: Vestiges of Lamentations in Residuum

1. 3 – The World is Borne of Flame

First Impressions:
Hmm, not the kind of vocals I was expecting to get from you, to be honest. Also this is a really rad way to start an album in general. The acoustic guitar vibes build into electric guitar vibes and the drums come in to match the smooth flow that was built up. Only real gripe I have is that the percussive guitar hits at the very end don’t sound great. But yeah, for an intro track this does its job pretty well. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, this is just a good buildup track, plain and simple. The vocals feel a bit less out of place after multiple listens and I’m pretty into the melodies too. Honestly this actually gives off some Coheed vibes, now that I think about it. I could absolutely see a song like this on, like, The Afterman. I dig how it builds up and I dig how it sounds. I can’t really fault it for kind of ending abruptly because on its own it’s not intended to be a full piece, so instead I can only really judge it on what it’s intended to be and in that regard it does a damn fine job.

8/10

2. 3 – The End is Begun

First Impressions:
Honestly, I think when I rate these I’m going to combine them into one score because of the way they flow into each other & how pointless it kind of seems to rate them separately since the first track is very much an intro. Anyways. This doesn’t exactly leave off on the groove the previous track had and some of the sounds of the lower guitar tones I am still not keen on. It’s got a straightforward marching rhythm to it though which is good to keep the feel of the song driving. If there’s one gripe I have with both of these it’s that there’s maybe a bit too much of a disparity between how the acoustic guitar sounds vs. the electric. And I guess the vocals feel a bit weak against this music. It’s not a bad song but I don’t think it delivers on the promise the previous track built up, honestly. (DECENT)

Final Thoughts:
Okay, so I think I was a bit harsh on this one the first time. It’s not really the same kind of track as the previous track, to be sure. But it is pretty damn catchy, as I’ve found, considering I’ve had “Shall I Die, Shall I Cry, Shall I Be Shot Through The Sky” on loop in my head for over a week now. I honestly don’t know why I didn’t see the Coheed comparison the first time, though they don’t have as good of a guitar tone and I don’t think they sound thaaat similar outside of the vocals. I still would say I’m not as into this one as I am the previous track, though, simply for a lack of driving energy, but I do like this one well enough regardless, it’s certainly been on my mind a lot more than I expected. I’m definitely gonna check out the album here.

7.5/10

3. Altar Of Plagues – Earth: As A Womb

First Impressions:
The big boi, a whole 12 minutes of black metal (to my understanding?). And like, the whole few first minutes are ambient and foreboding in just the way I like. You know the song’s going to kick in hard at any moment but you don’t know when. It seems to be in the good ol’ fashioned black metal tradition of lacking solid melody, but admittedly I really like the texture of the guitars and everything else sounds pretty good too, except maybe the drums mixed a little loud. It kinda holds steady to just the straight-up black metal song for a bit but gives it a break in the middle for a bit of variation. Black metal friggin’ sucks to write about because it tends to intentionally not be very musically complex. It’s just intense & hopefully pretty emotive and I mean, yeah, I don’t know if there’s much about this specific song that’s sticking out to me on first listen, but it certainly does “intense” well enough in its heavier parts and has a bit of more dynamic moments at the start, middle, and end. I’d check out the full album of this, for sure. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
So I made a comment in my third round impressions that this doesn’t really feel like a song intended to be taken outside of the album it’s on, because, well. For one you’ve got the whole “two minutes of ambient intro” thing which, you know, in a song by itself usually isn’t something you want. Like, I dig the hell out of it and it probably makes for a killer album opener, and it makes for a good transition here too. Anyways in terms of the black metal these guys play they just sound a lot like Der Weg Einer Freiheit to me. Which, considering I love the hell out of DWEF. Yeah. And DWEF is absolutely an albums band too, I can like some of their songs out of context but I don’t think I’ve ever put on a song from Stellar just on its own even as much as I love that album, and I’ve been spinning Unstille lately as well which is much the same way. And this song is basically just the full suite of stuff I love hearing in black metal. Got that rad ambient bit. Got a good chunk of that meaty, blastbeat-y heaviness. Got some nice, atmospheric clean moments. Got that more downtempo but still plenty intense heavier bit. The only thing it really lacks is a sludgy, doomy moment but that really wouldn’t work in this song in particular. But yeah. While I can’t say there’s anything or any part of this that really stands out in my mind, it’s just 12 minutes of a good-sounding song that sounds good, and I absolutely am going to check out this album.

8.25/10

4. Imperium Dekadenz – Dis Manibvs

First Impressions:
Following up the last black metal track is… another black metal track. This one reeeeally has that wall-of-sound effect going on but with more downbeat drums instead of blastbeats drowning out the texture of it and I appreciate that, the tone is rad as hell. I don’t really have a ton else to say about this one either. It pretty much gets more intense as it goes on, it isn’t super melodically-driven either but it has enough for me to be satisfied and it’s intense in the way I want black metal to be. Boring to say but it’s just plain good. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
The one unfortunate thing about this EP is that this song has the task of following up an already 12-minute, pretty strong example of black metal, with… more black metal, but just not quite as good. Granted, this is a German black metal band and, surprise, I’m gonna check out this album too regardless because even if this one doesn’t strike me as hard as the last one, I still do dig the hell out of it. When I mentioned that the one thing the previous track didn’t do was doomy, sludgy black metal? Well, the first half of this isn’t fully what I meant but it’s pretty close. The guitar tone is fantastic, to be frank, it’s got that great wall-of-sound texture to it without being too washed out either. I said at first this was a step down but I don’t really know if it is? I think the one thing is that it just isn’t quite as dynamic as the last track and maybe doesn’t have as good of a throughline to it, but it’s still pretty dang strong black metal and probably “sounds” better overall as well, so really, I dunno. It’s good, yo.

8/10

5. Anata – Downward Spiral into Madness

First Impressions:
And here’s some tech death ehh. Tech death has a bad habit of having audible bass in a death metal genre, which is a really dumb idea. I mean, who wants to hear cool bass licks and a more full sound on their metal albums? Rude. This seems to do well enough at having melodically-driven moments and seems to be wise enough to not just be an endless stream of disconnected ideas either. I reeeeally dig the bits where the two guitars are playing in unison but with different rhythms, it creates this doubling effect that sounds great, kind of reminds me of a thing Oceansize did a lot with their triple-guitar unisons. I think it lacks for really strong, memorable melodies and seems a bit emotively dry like a lot of tech death can tend to be, but it’s a solid enough example of the genre that still gets a fair few things right, so ehh. Could grow on me too. (DECENT)

Final Thoughts:
I think ultimately the faults of this song keep me from really getting all that into it, or at least not as much as a good chunk of the rest of this EP. The bass almost seems a bit too loud, actually, to the point where it sort of crushes the guitars at times. The drums feel weirdly disconnected from everything else. And the vocals basically serve no real purpose, I get nothing at all out of them. The main, repeated motif throughout a lot of this song also isn’t particularly strong, but it’s serviceable. I think they’re smart enough to not go too wild and cram too many different ideas into one song, since there’s more than a few moments that are repeated or are just slight variations on other motifs in the song, but there’s enough diversity to keep it from getting stale too. I don’t know, though, it’s a bit out of place on the EP as the one song that fails to really resonate emotionally, and the kind of muddy sound of the song as previously mentioned I’m not too wild about. It’s still solid enough at the end of the day, I do like it, I’d probably at least listen a few songs deep into the album if nothing else. It’s just a step down from the rest of the EP especially after how strong the previous tracks are.

7/10

6. Falloch – Beyond Embers and the Earth

First Impressions:
And closing out with more black metal. And clean vocals, gasp. This seems to have a bit of a symphonic swell going on too. I don’t like the textures of the guitar as much on this one as I did on the other two black metal tracks here but it still works well enough for the sound, I’m not complaining too strongly either. It’s more of a blackgaze-y sound and the cleaner moments kind of reinforce that but it’s kind of toeing the line a little. I will say that it’s probably my least favorite of the three black metal tracks here but only really by comparison, since overall I still dig it a fair bit. I guess the ending is a bit disappointing too, I feel like it should’ve gotten louder there before the quiet finish, but ehh. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
With the flute that shows up near the start I get a lot of Saor vibes off this, actually. That’s like, uhh. The one thing about this song that’s stood out to me across all three listens, mainly. Yeah, I dunno, this one didn’t end up having quite as much replay value? It’s the really pretty style of somewhat-folky black metal that I can like the sound of but I’ve consistently had trouble getting really into. And that’s not to say I dislike this, I don’t at all, it’s a pretty good example of the style. But it does run into the problem of sounding kind of muddy during the heavier parts in a way that the other black metal here doesn’t, though the clean stuff and all the strings and piano and whatever else gets thrown in there all sounds plenty fine. I also feel like that, as a closer, it isn’t really… climactic? It feels a bit directionless, not really going anywhere with its 8 minute runtime. I don’t know. I feel like this is the kind of thing I want to like more than I actually do.

6.75/10

Overall:

First Impressions:
So yeah one early comment is that the first two tracks and the fifth track don’t really fit in so well with the black metal tracks here, I feel. They’re also way outnumbered in terms of length, taking up like 12 and a half minutes of a full 40 minute runtime, and they also feel like the weaker tracks compared to the black metal track. But at the same time I at least liked everything here, and aside from those songs not quite stylistically fitting, it all does flow pretty well and has a good start/middle/end feel to it. It even comes full circle with quiet acoustic bits bookending the whole thing. Definitely one of the EPs I’m looking forward to revisiting, for sure.

Final Thoughts:
So yeah I guess this is probably the best EP I’ve been sent in any roulette so far? It’s like, just a lot of stuff that’s really well-fit to my tastes, particularly the two big black metal tunes in the middle, and nothing I really even come close to disliking here either. I still stand by the notion that the black metal stuff overpowers the other styles, but I do like the two 3 songs a good bit and the Anata song is heavy enough to not feel that out of place either, it’s organize to flow pretty well overall too, save for a lack of a satisfying ending. But still, this was the clear standout of the round for me from basically the start and I’m probably gonna check out an album or two from each and every band here, which is also a first for me and EPs. The bar has been set and the real goal for the rest of the roulette should be to top this one, y’all.

Current Standings:
1. Puppies_On_Acid
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
------------
6. ???
7. ???

Song Rankings:
2. Altar Of Plagues – Earth: As A Womb
6. 3 – The World is Borne of Flame
7. Imperium Dekadenz – Dis Manibvs
11. 3 – The End is Begun
15. Anata – Downward Spiral into Madness
19. Falloch – Beyond Embers and the Earth

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Round 1 Results Pt. 1)
« Reply #585 on: March 23, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
ftr what i'm gonna do is post 2nd and 3rd place together later today, then 4th & 7th together and 5th & 6th together tomorrow  :corn

there is a very wide gap between 4th and 5th this time but i'm also more than confident on what my two least favorites here are
as opposed to last round there are 15 songs that hit 7/10 or higher and thus the artists are gonna get banned - I'm also going to add the rule than any artist sent 3 or more times in the roulette gets banned, just because I realistically don't need any more music from them. And there's a case of an artist who I've heard before who scored not quite high enough to get banned but I kinda want to check out further anyways, so they're getting banned too.

anyways enjoy the suspense

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #586 on: March 23, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »
yay suspense!

Nice job, Pup!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: March 23, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
Redeemed from Absu! Nice.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #588 on: March 23, 2019, 03:13:53 PM »
Redeemed from Absu! Nice.

:lol no kidding. Anything is better than that apparently.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: March 23, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
tbh if i were to go back now i'd probably cut Lo! in favor of Absu but ehh

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: March 23, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
Results, Part 2

2nd Place: TAC – Scorched

1. Gürschach – The Night The Sky Rained Nukes

First Impressions:
I’m ready for some brutal TAC-core. Jazzy intro plays. Haha. Heavy. Okay that was just a fakeout intro I actually kind of wish they developed that into something instead of the abrupt cut. I’m also not very into this vocal style at all. The production also seems… not great, but not terrible either I guess. Honestly this feels like something that could’ve come straight out of the 80’s considering the vocal style and the production style. This middle instrumental section I like more at least, solid instrumentation, solid soloing. Yeah this is one I feel like I’d be more into if I was bigger on 80’s thrash bands as that seems like the biggest influence, but thrash metal in general doesn’t really do it for me. (AVERAGE)

Final Thoughts:
Really what is up with this intro? Why is it here? On its own it’s… certainly jazz. In this song it just… happens for about 45 seconds before the actual song starts. From a composition standpoint I just don’t understand why it’s here. Anyways what I actually didn’t comment on before that I really should have is how loud the drums are in this mix, like jeez. The bass is a bit loud too but not overly so, but boy the drums just crush everything else here. I actually dig some of the guitar work but half the time it’s hard to hear, and yeah, I’m still noooot really too into these vocals. The first half of the song basically then doesn’t have much for me, but the instrumental in the middle is at least, a fair bit better. Build the entire song around this and, well, I wouldn’t be super into it even still but I’d like it more than I do. The vocal bit that comes in after and the riffing at the end, again, I’m pretty fine with. Nothing I’m wild over, but still. The back half redeems the front half enough that I’m vaguely positive on this one, but it isn’t and won’t be a favorite here.

6/10

2. Supremacy – Just Before Dying

First Impressions:
Oooh now I’m worried did you sent me an entire EP of 80’s thrash throwbacks? Or at least, the vocals seem kind of like the previous track, though the riffing here is actually pretty strong. It’s basically nothing but guitar riffing so far but it has groove so I can’t fault it. Oh okay there’s the clean break. Now featuring slower chords and group vocals. Yeah, I’m a lot more into this song than the last one on just every aspect, actually. Oh this solo is rad as heck too. Yeah, like, aside from the vocals in the first half of this, I like this a lot. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
I think I said the first half of this was my least favorite part of your EP when I made thirdpressions but I dunno, it’s at least a step up from the first half of the Gurschach song if only for the production being a fair cut above that one. The riffing is alright too but I reeeally do not like these vocals. Basically a third of this song that I’m mostly pretty meh about. And then a rough transition into something much better. The vocal style here is more closer to like, Baroness or Mastodon which I am a lot more onboard with and the melodic guitar lines have a lot of class to them in a way I can totally get behind. The solo also goes a more feels-y route than a technical one. It really is like a bland thrash-y song got stitched together with a solid Mastodon tune and the end result is something I endorse two-thirds of pretty solidly and the other third I just wish wasn’t there. I think I was a little too generous with my initial ranking but there’s enough here that I do like that it still gets a solid score overall.

6.75/10

3. Great Leap Skyward – Black Sea of Trees

First Impressions:
So for this one, I’m pretty sure I actually did listen to this album when it came out because I recognize that album cover. I don’t think I followed up on that first listen, though. Right out the gate I am way into this riffing going on at the start, it has both energy and groove. I’m still a sucker for 6/8 so that probably helps. Ooh and there’s this whole break with the strings in the middle of it all? And now it’s One by Metallica. I mean sure. I think the only real gripe I have with this is that some of the transitions between sections are a bit awkward, but I like all the sections by themselves and they all have the same 6/8 feel at their core so it’s not too awkward either. I do like this a heck of a lot, though, I’ll say that much. Maybe I just didn’t finish this album the first time I tried to listen it, I see this is the closer so it’s possible I never got here. Shame, since this rules. (GREAT)

Final Thoughts:
That first riff is just. Friggin’ fantastic. Nails both groove and power without being melodically impotent either. And this is the first track here too I’d speak positively of the vocals, both the cleans and the harsh vocals work really well. Every song on your EP so far has fit into the “loud start, clean break in the middle” strategy too, but the break here is hhhoouugh, driven by the bass and the strings primarily and it’s both melodic and kind of unsettling as it goes on? Then suddenly DARKNESS IMPRISONING ME. Like okay it’s not a direct ripoff and they play with the rhythm of it a bit but thinking of Metallica every time that bit comes on is really the only knock against this song I can even muster up. I guess also the return to more standard melodic death metal stuff at the end is good too, it doesn’t have the strong riffing the front half had but it brings things full circle well enough and it makes for a solid finale. I’m just gonna outright say that this is the best metal song of the roulette up till now basically no question, I’m honestly worried I’m underrating it even still.

8.75/10

4. Khors – Through the Realm of Unborn Stars

First Impressions:
And now comes a song with the task of following up that last track, which would’ve made for a great closer to the EP I’m sure. Oh this is just, straight up black metal now. This EP is a kind of tour of lots of different styles of extreme metal, I guess? I do prefer my black metal a bit more melody-driven than this, they do have some elements come in on top of the guitars that add some more melody but the actual black metal elements seem a bit muddy or lacking in melody. I guess it’s just a question of whether the melodic elements on top do enough to compensate, which, I suppose they do? I’m enjoying this enough for what it is, at the very least. I’ve listened to enough black metal in the past few years to become really picky about it and I don’t know if an entire album of  this would work for me but I don’t mind having this one song, either. (DECENT)

Final Thoughts:
I feel like something slightly unfortunate here is that this song probably gets hurt a little by having to go up against some of the other black metal in this round. Though it’s not straight up atmospheric black metal like the other stuff I was sent so it’s distinct enough in that regard. The vocals I actually like, both the raspy growls and the deeper cleans, the song seems to be going for a spacey sound if its name is any indication and I think the vocals fit that sound pretty well. And it drives up enough of a groove while still remaining decently melodic even if it’s not consistently driven as such. It’s not exactly how I like my black metal and I’m not so sure an album of this would work for me but nah, I think this one’s grown on me at least a bit over the course of these few listens.

7.5/10

5. Thousand Sun Sky – Echoes From Time’s Passing

First Impressions:
Ooh this is one of those electronic metal type ordeals isn’t it. Where the electronic elements just completely overtake the metal elements. Like they’re just mixed so much louder than the guitars here. I’m two minutes into this and getting the impression it’s an instrumental now. This is fine enough melodically that I don’t really mind it at all, there’s some bits here I would even say I kind of like, but it’s a bit… generic for lack of a better term, strip away the electronics and you have a very straightforward prog instrumental with basically no other flourishes, and I’m not really too keen on the synths to begin with, not a great tone here. Could be way worse though. I’ve heard way worse. (AVERAGE)

Final Thoughts:
Basically the one issue I have with this one throughout its runtime is that the synth tones just don’t work for me, don’t feel like tones this crisp and bright belong alongside the muddy guitar tones they use here. I think the guitar riffing is better than I initially gave it credit for though, both the more fast-paced riffing that comes in when the electronic elements get pushed to the back as well as the straightforward riffing during the “refrain” are solid, and I think in a void the main motif the synths repeat is solid too. I think I have warmed up to this one at least a little bit from my initial listen, and while it’s not, like, anything incredible, it’s not offensive either and it’s, fine enough to listen to with a few moments I really dig.

6.5/10

Overall:

First Impressions:
This EP’s quality basically follows the shape of a mountain. Which is a bit unfortunate since the start and end are pretty important parts of any EP or album, in my opinion, but at the very least it also means I’m not getting bored in the middle either. I don’t really actively dislike anything here and I think going full-out “changing extreme metal genres between songs” works to make this cohesive within itself (kind of similar to what I did on my concept album for Puppies) but I honestly think this would’ve been better served with Great Leap Skyward closing it out since that’s a much stronger closer and a pretty dang cool track in general. Overall though I can see even the songs here I’m meh on potentially growing on me and I like the rest enough already.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, I kind of see a throughline here between these songs but at the same time nooot really that strongly. The first two go together pretty well and I guess Great Leap Skyward and Thousand Sun Sky can be lumped together if you really squint, but then that’s still three different general sounds together on the same EP. And like, the quality of some of those songs is actually pretty solid, though only two of the tracks I feel like I can really get behind the whole way through. That’s then offset by one of the songs just being friggin’ excellent, though, which counts for a lot when it’s the longest track and place at the center of the EP as this glorious high point. I mean, it really should’ve been the closer because then the EP really would’ve ended on a high note, but I can see Thousand Sun Sky working as a closer well enough too. Overall, I mean, I’m not too wild about this one but you seem to be continuing the streak of sending mostly solid enough stuff with one track that really works and brings the whole package up a few notches all on its own.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »
3rd Place: Lethean – Vamos ao Brasil

1. Bittencourt Project – O Pastor

First Impressions:
From what I know of the main artist on this EP I’m expecting power prog from all of these. And like, that’s what I feel like I’m getting here, yep. Except in a language I don’t understand, which could be for the better if the lyrics are like really cheesy or something. Basically a constant problem I find I have with power metal is that the riffing is really boring and the main riffing of this song, kind of is, yeah. It’s got okay enough groove but it’s hammering on just the same two notes and not with a guitar tone that makes it hit very hard. I don’t really have a ton else to say about it. It’s serviceable enough and he has a solid voice but it’s very featureless and honestly a little dull. (AVERAGE)

Final Thoughts:
Okay the riffing is a bit less dull than I think my first impression made it out to be. I dig the little more melodic phrase that punctuates some of the phrases. That hits rhythmically and the strings play off it nicely for a moment that definitely gets me headbobbing. And some of the vocal lines work well enough too. I think the big issue I have with this one is that by like, the halfway point, I feel like I’m already pretty tired of basically everything the song has to offer and it doesn’t really add much else beyond that point either aside from that not very memorable synth bit. I don’t dislike it and I can kind of get some enjoyment out of this one from the moments that do kind of work but it’s not one of the songs in this round or on this EP that really does enough to stand out.

5.75/10

2. Angra – The Shadow Hunter

First Impressions:
This guitar intro is already more interesting by itself than the entirety of the previous song, for reference. And I appreciate that some of it carries over even when the heavier guitars come in. The actual main meat of this song isn’t quite as interesting but it at least works to some extent. The drumming helps to keep up the energy without just being kick-spam all the time. And there’s certainly enough diversity to keep me from getting bored or tired of any given musical idea. It’s a well-made example of a style I’m not particularly interested in anymore but I will say I still do like it well enough. (DECENT)

Final Thoughts:
I think this one somehow ended up in my mind as “the weakest one” of the three Angra songs here, somehow? It’s certainly the one I have the most trouble remembering out of the three. I think it might be because this one is decisively the most “standard prog-power” out of the three, a style which I have never been able to find too memorable or been too into. The a capella bit in the middle is genuinely kind of cheesy and a bit too silly for me though. That’s like the one bit of this I remember, I go “oh yeah, that bit” every time. I dunno, this one is basically the same as how I felt about DGM last round – it’s pretty solid and I can’t say I dislike it, there’s not even really anything wrong with it other than a lack of anything I really find that interesting or memorable. It all sounds nice, the production is fine, it’s decently melodic enough. But I’m just not really into it.

6.5/10

3. Angra – The Shaman

First Impressions:
I appreciate that you at least sent off three different albums for all this band’s songs, and three albums almost a decade removed each. And each with different singers, apparently? Production-wise this doesn’t even sound notably weaker, it’s slight but not really problematic. And I dig the inclusions of the horns on this one, they add a lot of personality to this track. It feels to me like there’s sort of a middle eastern vibe to this one in general but I could be imagining it. It definitely feels a bit more straightforward but honestly I think it almost works better for it? Or maybe it’s just I’m really digging the horns here. It’s probably just that. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
Okay it’s really funny to me that this was the one of the three here that people were like “why would you send that” to me. And it’s been my favorite on this EP from the very first listen. This is the grooviest song of the round by a handsome margin and honestly it’s just super dang fun to listen to. I love the  6/8 feel of the prechorus and the vocals there. And as previously stated I love the hell out of the horns in the chorus. Honestly, I’m gonna come out and say – the song that this reminds me most of in this roulette? Tragic Kingdom. From the mid-90’s? Check. Groovy and fun as hell? Check. Decently diverse and dynamic with multiple different feels throughout? Check. Horns? Check, check, check. I will say the one thing this lacks that that song had was a really intense climax, and I think the middle section that turns more atmospheric kind of drags a tiny bit. But like, those are nitpicks for a song that, on the whole, I dig a lot.

8.25/10

4. Angra – ØMNI – Silence Inside

First Impressions:
This starts in a really similar way to The Shadow Hunter, apparently. But with added bass. This definitely sounds more in line with modern prog than the other two, chuggier and heavier. Honestly hearing the two so close together I really can’t help but think this is just an updated version of the aforementioned song. I think the “sound” of this appeals more to be but the actual content of what it sounds like not as much, the chugging isn’t very rhythmically interesting and the melodic runs, while nice, don’t have much personality either. It’s a lack of any melodically grounded hook, I guess. Sounds nice but isn’t super memorable, which is a problem I have more and more the more metal I consume, not so easy to stand out if your melodies aren’t very sticky. All that being said I don’t mind listening to this at all, it keeps itself busy enough to not get boring and at its core still sounds pretty solid. (DECENT)

Final Thoughts:
Honestly, this does seem like just a modern prog update of The Shadow Hunter, even several listens later. And uuhh. It’s a grower, lads. This is actually the song on this EP I ended up finding most memorable somehow, even if I wouldn’t say I like it as much as The Shaman. The chorus in particular, is surprisingly sticky. And I can’t help but love the fretless bass that shows up a few times. It’s hard to really call this one power-prog, it’s just a lot more in line with the 2010’s prog metal scene. I actually really like the wah-drenched guitar lines that pop up a few times throughout too, though, that’s such a John Petrucci thing to do and I never get tired of it. Also that really over-the-top proggy midsection, I like it. I know I said I didn’t like a really similar section in that Arcane song but it’s context, you know? It’s not at all out of place here. And it doesn’t have crappy sounding blastbeats either, so. I am pretty sure I actually did check out this album last year when I dropped but I hardly remember it and probably didn’t get too far in it. Kinda want to go back and check it out again now, though. This doesn’t, like, evoke super strong emotions from me in any regard but it’s very solid prog metal that I’ve enjoyed every listen I’ve given it, so, yeah.

7.75/10

5. Almah – Almah

First Impressions:
Three of the five songs have started off with that similar kind of acoustic guitar noodling here. I guess that’s a Brazillian thing to do. I ain’t complaining since it sounds nice in all three of them, and this one is going for a different vibe than the other two anyways. This isn’t even a metal track it seems, more of a ballad to close things off. Which, after four straight power-prog tracks, is a very smart choice. This is a nice cooldown track and I particularly appreciate the fretless bass here, it fits the dreamy vibe of this one really well. This doesn’t completely abandon prog tendencies either considering the switchup of the mood in the middle. No, yeah, considering it’s just past midnight now and I’m getting pretty tired this is putting me to sleep but not in a “boring” way but a “it’s pretty nice” way. (GOOD)

Final Thoughts:
Hmm, I have a hard time really adding much to what I said in my first impressions writeup about this one, really. I guess the one thing is that while I find this one pretty pleasant, I don’t exactly find it… that memorable, either. There’s no melodies that particularly stand out to me here, the fretless bass again I appreciate but it is a bit buried here and it isn’t really doing anything especially interesting when it is audible, anyways. I feel like this one is here more as a part of the EP than a song on its own, really, a lot of albums do this where there’s a pretty solid and chill softer track after an album’s worth of heaviness and it tends to be a song that doesn’t stand out on its own but in the context of the album works really well to close out the whole experience. And I do like the wall of vocals that the ending eventually devolves into, I can’t really imagine anything else ending this EP well. I feel like maybe my initial reaction was a bit too optimistic, this one didn’t really grow on me or particularly impress me on repeated listens but it’s technically perfect as the EP closer, too.

6.75/10

Overall:

First Impressions:
I mean, this is just an Angra and Friends EP at its core but across each of the five tracks there’s a different sound and there’s only the one track that didn’t really do much at all for me. I sort of feel like having the first Angra track as the opener instead and maybe moving Bittencourt Project to track #3 would’ve broken things up slightly better? That’s really the only comment I have since obviously this being a family tree of artists the cohesiveness is on point and the flow is pretty solid as well. I actually know I did listen to some of Omni last year but probably not the full thing. I’m certainly at least inclined to look a little deeper into an artist I hadn’t really delved much into before, even after one listen, though.

Final Thoughts:
So yeah, for really obvious reasons, this EP is cohesive as hell and flows pretty dang well too. I still don’t know if the Bittencourt Project song adds much to this one overall but that’s really my only gripe with it, I like all the other songs a fair bit and I’m definitely gonna check out at least the two albums the songs I particularly liked were off of. I don’t think I expect to be blown away by Angra but I liked this EP well enough, it’s very much more than the sum of its parts. It’s also kind of like a “greatest hits” mini-compilation, I guess, in a sense? I don’t think I’d ever do that kind of greatest hits round myself but this kind of snuck in by virtue of technically being three different artists, so, whatever. Good stuff, very easily going to make it to the next round.

Current Standings:
1. Puppies_On_Acid
2. TAC
3. Lethean
4. ???
5. ???
------------
6. ???
7. ???

Song Rankings:
1. Great Leap Skyward – Black Sea of Trees
2. Altar Of Plagues – Earth: As A Womb
3. Angra – The Shaman
6. 3 – The World is Borne of Flame
7. Imperium Dekadenz – Dis Manibvs
9. Angra – ØMNI – Silence Inside
11. 3 – The End is Begun
13. Khors – Through the Realm of Unborn Stars
15. Anata – Downward Spiral into Madness
16. Supremacy – Just Before Dying
18. Almah – Almah
19. Falloch – Beyond Embers and the Earth
20. Angra – The Shadow Hunter
22. Thousand Sun Sky – Echoes From Time’s Passing
27. Gürschach – The Night The Sky Rained Nukes
28. Bittencourt Project – O Pastor

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Parama's EP-onymous Roulette v4 (Round 1 Results Pt. 2)
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
Lots of negative comments for 2nd place! :lol

I'm going to finish up my next EP this weekend. I have my album done. Can I just skip to my album?? ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: March 23, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
i mean as of now nobody has yet to get 7 or above with all their songs in one EP  :P
i'm picky but there was a lot of stuff this round i did quite like

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: March 23, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
Well, they are great writeups, I'll give you that. Of course you've had two fucking weeks to work on them :lol

I've been dying to use Gurschasch in a roulette. That album is awesome.