Author Topic: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
Right now, I have a cup of coffee on my table. I usually drink 2 or 3 cups a day.
I can drink it with sugar, without it, with cream or without it.
I love coffee, A LOT, I remember drinking coffee since I was 4 years old, my sons, both of them have drink coffee (in small doses) since they were 6 months old or so. My mother in law once told me: "My father which died by 107 years old drank coffee since he was born and never had a problem of any kind"

I have only gone two time to Starbucks, one was on a trip to CDMX 5 years ago with my family and we all have a cup to taste them, NEVER MORE, I don't like how much sugar they put to it.
The second time was a couple of month ago, to get some oats cookies for my wife.

To my everyday intake I prefer a Colombian grain from Juan Valdez which I think it's the best coffee in the world.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, so I've only been to Starbucks with others.  I did, however, have a white hot chocolate once that was very tasty.  Can't imagine dropping $5+ on coffee on a daily basis, however,.

Hey, Gene Simmons, how did you skate through 50 years never having had a cup of coffee?  I don't doubt you, I just think it's interesting); even when I didn't drink coffee, there were times - ski trips, work trips, weddings, etc. - where there wasn't really a better option).

How?  It's easy.  I just didn't.  But yeah, I get that reaction a lot.  My father died when I was 7, so I don't know if he drank coffee, but my mother didn't, so it wasn't something that was around the house as I was growing up.  Any time we'd walk down the coffee aisle at a grocery store, she'd comment how she loved the smell but didn't like the taste.  I didn't like the smell.  My college experience was rather unusual (longer story than is warranted here), but I never pulled all-nighters.  Didn't do so in law school either.  Ultimately, I've simply never felt the need to drink coffee and, while I don't mind the smell anymore, it's not something I feel like I'm missing out on.

Christ, how are there people who've never tried coffee? I suppose y'all are going to tell me you've never tried heroin, either. What a world.

Well...I've never used any illegal drug, with one exception:  I was house-sitting for someone and invited a couple friends over, including a girl I had the hots for.  She brought some pot and got me to take one drag on a joint.  I don't actually recall tasting or feeling anything, so I'm not sure I did it "right."  This is the same girl I mentioned elsewhere who, prior to an Iron Maiden concert, bought LSD from someone in the parking lot and spent the entire concert in a nearly catatonic state.  Needless to say, I didn't spend much time around her after that .

See, there's the difference right there:  my dad and my maternal grandmother used heroin coffee like it was oxygen.  Tp this day, my dad to relax has my mom brew a pot of coffee (not what it sounds like; he has bad arthritis - not "knobbly fingers like Keith Richards" arthritis, but debilitating acute arthritis since he was about 35, so while he can do it, simple things like brewing coffee are a major production).

Maybe so...except that both my parents were smokers.  Arguably, that was the biggest contributor to my father dying at 53.  My mother, on the other hand, lived to the age of 84.  She cut back a lot during her last 5-10 years or so and eventually quit.  But I never smoked and think smoking is just about the most foul thing ever.  So...I don't really think I'd drink coffee if it had been commonplace at my house growing up, but you never know.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »
Growing up, my mom drank a ton of coffee. Multiple pots her day, by herself.

I did not like the looks of that, so I just never tried it.

Now I have no desire.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
My parents were 3 and 2 packs a day.  Mom died of lung cancer at 64, dad at 72 is battling lung cancer. Both never really drank coffee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
I've never been able to acquire a taste for coffee, but I usually stop in Starbucks 2-3 times every winter to get a hot chocolate on the way to work on a particularly cold day.  It's way overpriced, but 2-3 years ain't gonna brake me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
Christ, how are there people who've never tried coffee? I suppose y'all are going to tell me you've never tried heroin, either. What a world.

Would it surprise you to learn I've tried heroin almost as many times as I've tasted coffee?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 08:05:03 PM »
Yeah, it would, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
Tried it twice, and have drank coffee maybe 5 or so times. Fucking hate the stuff. Only way I've ever liked coffee is an espresso coated, honey stung cheddar called Barely Buzzed.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
Easily in my top five of overrated chains. On the rare occasion when I don't have coffee fixins at home there are plenty of other places I can go to that sell much better coffee for much fewer bucks. I've always been of the opinion that their popularity owes to selling coffee inspired frozen drinks to people who aren't really into coffee but still need their caffeine fix.

Might be top three.  I had one literally right across the street from me in Philly, and I can honestly band with no exaggeration say, I would not walk across the street for their coffee.  Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth; like an after-taste.  I make my own, go to Dunkin, or, believe it or not, McDonald's.

I was surprised at how decent McDonalds coffee is. It's better than the Dunkin Donuts around these parts. The Wife calls Dunkin Donuts "Pee Coffee".

Starbucks is all right. I don't go there very often. I use Target's brand K cups and just drink black coffee these days.

- cut the crap and just let me say 'large' instead of 'venti' which makes me feel stupid

Agreed. The names are fucking stupid. I just say I want a large coffee when I go there.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
I keep seeing people mention the coffee being expensive but the regular coffee is about standard price compared to a similar size at Dunkin, at least where I am. It's when you get into the "crazier" orders where the add-ons, etc, naturally make the price higher. That being said it's about the same for those same drinks in a mom and pop coffee shop whose coffee can be good but small shop doesn't always mean quality and much of the time a standard coffee at those places can cost you $2-3 for a 16 oz for a mildly improved flavor. For as much coffee snobbery as there is in the world when it comes to coffee shops I'm guessing I'm either surrounded by all the wrong businesses or it really is tough to find anywhere that has what is considered a "good" cup of coffee.

On a side note I think the reason I would gravitate to Starbucks over Dunkin now in terms of the big chains is because I've shifted to more french roast style coffee although I've typically been ordering Americanos wherever I go. Over the last couple years there's just something off putting about the taste of Dunkin coffee. Works in a pinch but it's, I dunno, really thin?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »
My wife LOVES Starbucks coffee. I love my wife. So every day, seven days a week, 365 a year, I get her a venti dark-roast on my way back from the gym.

Is $3.00 a day for a cup of coffee a frivolous expense? Perhaps. But like I said, I love my wife :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:09 PM »
I mean, maybe my 3.45 a day for iced tea is frivolous, but being able to spend time with some humans before hitting the kitchen is worth the coin.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »
Growing up, my maternal grandparents lived nearby. So, their home was the central focal point/ meeting place, for my entire family. My grandfather worked as a manufacturing design engineer, and got up at around 3 am each day to go to work. So, my grandmother would make a huge pot of dark roast coffee at 3:30, while she made him breakfast. They each would share a very small cup, and the rest would sit in the pot- and wait; for all of us to show up at various times of the day and partake. When that pot ran out, she would make another- and it would sit all day until around dinner. So generally, depending on what time you stopped by- you could get a fresh cup of hot, and very strong Joe- or a cup of what amounted to acidic sludge. For me, made no difference. I think I had my first tiny cup of coffee with tons of cream added to it-when I was around 7 years of age. I wanted to try it- and I loved it! I was granted occassional cups until I was around 13, and started drinking it more frequently. All these years later, I still put a ton of cream in my coffee. I abhor black coffee by itself, and hate sugar in my coffee in equal measure; unless it's a special Starbucks type drink. I try and drink two cups each day. More than that, and I'm on caffeine overload.

I told you all that to say this--I actually like some of Starbucks more darker, or French roast coffees. I grind the beans and brew it at home. I have been known to stop into a Starbucks now and then for a cup of one of their specialty drinks. A Caramel Machiato, or a White Chocolate Mocha, are my drinks of choice when I do. Is it overpriced? Yes, for sure. But also very tasty.

I never understood people whom complain about the cost, as if somehow on principle- that's the reason NOT to go there. If you can afford it- buy it; or don't. It's not like medicine, or electricty, or those things one needs to survive in the modern world. It's a luxury to purchase. Complaining about the cost as a way to tear down the company- is to me the same as complianing about how unfair the cost of high cost of Bugatti Chiron, or something- then tearing down the company because of it. There are plenty of other excellent options for people to choose from.

Another reason I go to Starbucks are the coffee mugs they sell in large cities. Several years ago, I bought one on a trip to London. They are black and white mugs with a relief of the city on them. I now have 28 of them. I was just in Paris recently, and had some time to tool around the city for a couple of days. I spent one of those days as a "Tumbleweed" at Shakespeare and Company bookstore; helping stock shelves, digging through rare books, and writing my required essay. Down, and around the block was a Starbucks; so I made my way there to buy a coffee mug. I was expecting it to not be very busy. It was packed. I think I was the only tourist there. So, globally- the brand contiunes to grow. On a recent trip last year to Iceland, I was actually surprised to learn there isn't a Starbucks in sight. The government is worried given the population that the chain would do too much damage to the independent shops there now. Probably.

On my last visit a few years ago to Pike Place Market- the line outside the original Starbucks across the street was gross. I would guess 200 or so people were in line to buy a mug from THAT location, or take a photo or selfie. Ironically, when I was an undergrad at UW, we never drank coffee at Starbucks. Waaaay back then it really wasn't a thing. Starbucks, not coffee. Long before I arrived in Seattle, coffee was king of King County. There were tons of shops around town. Near us was a cool, bohemian place called Last Exit on Brooklyn. Great coffee! Or, we would go to a place called Cafe Allegro that sold awesome espresso. We thought we were so cool. Starbucks then? meh.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »
I never understood people whom complain about the cost, as if somehow on principle- that's the reason NOT to go there.

Well, I can't speak for others, but here's my personal take:  Although I didn't frequent cafes a lot when I was younger, I know you could get a cup of coffee REALLY cheap most places.  When Starbucks started to catch on and spread here in CA, their coffee was about twice as much.  And because people were willing to pay, the mom-&-pop cafes and other places that served coffee began jacking up their prices as well.  So even though nowadays, Starbucks' prices aren't really outside the norm, they were a big part of driving up the prices in the first place.  So there's that.  And there's the fact that we all know people who are just everyday, average Joes (or Judys) who don't make much money, but who, given how many times a day they go EVERY day, are probably spending what amounts to $300 a month on overpriced coffee and wondering why they are broke every month.

So, I think for me, it's not really a "complaint," but just an observation.  They are overpriced, from at least a couple of different perspectives.  But that said, I don't really have a major problem with that.  People are entitled to spend their money on whatever they like.  I regulate my own budget.  Even though I like coffee, and I like theirs just fine (although I prefer Peet's), I don't go there often.  Not because it is Starbucks.  But just because there are other things that are more important in my budget.  Not a big deal. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 11:31:21 PM »
^^^ Agreed. My take was more the fact that I know, and have heard people who claim their product is trash, the company sucks, and is somehow some evil entity because of their price point.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 06:21:58 AM »
I will typically just make coffee at home. If I'm out, then I'll hunt out a Wawa. If I can't find anywhere else, then I will go to a Starbucks if need be, but its rare.

Overall I think its overpriced, overcrowded and just ok coffee.

I wonder if this is how Canadians feel when it comes to Tim Hortons?  Just a curio question off the top of my head when it comes to talking about coffee chains.

One of my first trips to canada my buddy pumped me up about Tim Hortons and truthfully it was nothing special, I go there a few times a year when I visit Canada but it isn't that great.

As for Starbucks, I like it occasionally. I'll go to the one in my building once a month and I feel the coffee isn't burnt if you ask them to brew it on the The Clover machine. We have a Dunkin a few buildings down and I much prefer their coffee over Starbucks.

The price of it is what keeps me away, it's expensive, but since I work for a large investment bank everyone gets starbucks in the morning. I had to break it down to my co-worker recently how much money he was wasting on Starbucks, $6 a day, every day, that's over $1500 a year in coffee.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
Apparently, Starbucks is now available on Uber eats, so in addition to spending money the coffee itself, you get to spend money for the delivery fee of $2.49 as well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
Apparently, Starbucks is now available on Uber eats, so in addition to spending money the coffee itself, you get to spend money for the delivery fee of $2.49 as well.

There's a part of me - you all can debate whether it's a big part or a little part - that thinks if you're telling me we're now too fucking lazy or "busy" to get our own cups of coffee, then the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are just over the horizon. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »
I guess it's not that far fetched to think you would pay above average for coffee (not talking about tastes or anything, just that Starbucks costs more than your average cup of joe) that you'd pay a little more to not have to leave where you are.  Having said that, coffee just isn't worth that much to me.  I got to imagine there is a market for it though.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »

The delivery is a constant though. So if you're ordering 12 of these for your office, $2.49 isn't that bad.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »

There's a part of me - you all can debate whether it's a big part or a little part - that thinks if you're telling me we're now too fucking lazy or "busy" to get our own cups of coffee, then the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are just over the horizon.

How about too cold? There's been a few times this winter I've Uber Ate something as simple a burger and fries from a place no more than 1 mile down the road simply because I didn't want to go outside when it was 2 degrees out. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »

How about too cold? There's been a few times this winter I've Uber Ate something as simple a burger and fries from a place no more than 1 mile down the road simply because I didn't want to go outside when it was 2 degrees out.

No, no, I totally get it; I used Door Dash just this weekend.   I don't know; maybe it's my apathy for Starbucks more than anything.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »

No, no, I totally get it; I used Door Dash just this weekend.   I don't know; maybe it's my apathy for Starbucks more than anything.

My kid talked me into getting a Postmates account a while back.  It's awfully convenient, but I always have a tinge of regret when I think about the delivery fee and the tip.

Funny story (at least to me):  My son is a junior in HS and has "off campus" privileges at lunch.  He has gotten into picking up food from the burger place across the street from the school and charging other kids for his service.  When he first told me about it, I thought maybe it wasn't a good idea.  But then I just laughed and decided it was fairly enterprising of him.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Nothing against those services, but when I go into a store I expect to be a priority over said orders. It's exhausting to walk into an empty Starbucks and have to wait 10 minutes for my 20 second iced tea cause some office group ordered 10 drinks with 5000 modifiers.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 09:43:27 PM »
Yes lone star that pisses me off too. Fortunately a lot of places I’ve gone to recently have started making a dedicated post mates pick up area.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
That always annoyed me when it happened at Subway.

"Hey...I got 1 hour for lunch, can I...."
"In a minute, we have 68 sandwiches to make that require the entire staff working at the same time on this one order that was placed 10 minutes ago and needs to be picked up in 20 min"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:10 AM »
I moved into a city that has a Starbucks two years ago and never went to it. A year ago, my sister in law came to visit and I took her walking round town. As it happens, a freezing wind started blowing, dropping the temperature by at least five degrees, and we were right at Starbucks' door, so we went in. I ordered the medium size latte with no add-ons, and I went to pick up what was probably around 300 or 400 ml latte. I love drinking coffee - and I drink all sorts of garbage instant coffee, so I can't really be the judge of quality - but I barely finished it! I heard the sizes were absurdly large before, but I never saw that coming.

Coffee from a good coffee house is generally more expensive in Norway than Starbucks, so really the only way to get a cheaper coffee is sitting down in one of the small coffee places at a mall or grabbing an instant coffee from a supermarket.. If you like really good coffee and have a preferred brand of Italian espresso, it's probably garbage, but then idk why you would even set your foot inside a Starbucks.

I remember drinking coffee since I was 4 years old, my sons, both of them have drink coffee (in small doses) since they were 6 months old or so. My mother in law once told me: "My father which died by 107 years old drank coffee since he was born and never had a problem of any kind"
This is so cute! In my home country coffee culture is huge, and my mom and grandma used to have at least three cups by noon. I was always curious about the smell and the taste, and my grandma used to dip a sugar cube into her cup and then give it to me  :hat
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:07:41 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
I prefer Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf over Starbucks. If you've never been to a CB&TL, you all need to change that :JayOctavarium:

Starbucks coffee seems to always taste burnt. If I am getting just plain coffee, McDonalds is my go to. The McCafe brand isn't horrible. If I want fancy shit, I prefer Coffee Bean over Starbucks, but they are both too damn expensive. I have fancy shit maybe once a month. That reminds me, I still have like $5 on a Coffee Bean gift card in my wallet...

Hmmmm......
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
300 or 400 ml latte

It almost looks like you are speaking English here, but I still can't process what that means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
300 or 400 ml latte

It almost looks like you are speaking English here, but I still can't process what that means.

https://youtu.be/S8LtffE5mU8

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
:lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm always surprised when people talk about Starbucks as not having good coffee.  I suppose it all comes down to taste and for every person saying it's crap, there's two more who like it... I'd just think for the price, you'd expect it to be "good" whether it's to your taste or not...

For me, I like what I've had from Starbucks, but I rarely go there (or elsewhere) because the only kind I like is the kind that's bad for you - tons of milk and sugar and possibly pumpkin spice, chocolate, gingerbread, peppermint, etc. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
...the only kind I like is the kind that's bad for you - tons of milk and sugar and possibly pumpkin spice, chocolate, gingerbread, peppermint, etc. :)

I agree with you.  ...and I fail to see the problem.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:12 AM »
300 or 400 ml latte

:lol google says 300 ml is about 10 ounces, whatever an ounce is ::) 200 ml is the amount in one classic tall glass you would use to drink water.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »
300 or 400 ml latte

:lol google says 300 ml is about 10 ounces, whatever an ounce is ::) 200 ml is the amount in one classic tall glass you would use to drink water.

A standard soda can in the U.S. is 12 ounces and in Europe is 335 ml.  The notion that a 300-400 ml (10.14-13.53 oz.) coffee drink is "absurdly large" seems really strange.