Author Topic: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?  (Read 6053 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
Have you visited these stores and what is your general impression about them (about a quality of coffee drinks, service, prices etc)?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
My impression is that if you visit one WildRanger, you better hope to goodness no one here works there, because you may not make it out.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »
- delicious coffee
- but the delicious coffee has way too much sugar
- cut the crap and just let me say 'large' instead of 'venti' which makes me feel stupid
- customers in front of me who have like 5 prerequisites on their drink make me rage
- but the drinks are so expensive i never go there anyway so #4 is kinda moot
- i avoid the above by just buying the delicious frappuccinos (see #3 above on dumb names) in gas stations/other stores
- basically they aight
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
There are one or two around where I live*. Don't drink coffee so while I have been to a few with family/friends or to meet someone, I've never bought anything there. Fortunately since I am white I've never had the cops called on me.

Bit of a joy to see the weasel Howard Schultz use his running for president/book tour as a platform to apologize for selling the Sonics. It's really only 10 years too late.

*sarcasm, I live in the PNW, they are everywhere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
I will typically just make coffee at home. If I'm out, then I'll hunt out a Wawa. If I can't find anywhere else, then I will go to a Starbucks if need be, but its rare.

Overall I think its overpriced, overcrowded and just ok coffee.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
Their coffee tastes burnt but it does get you going.  However, I practically never go there.  I drink most of my coffee from my keurig.  I'm not a fan of paying much for my coffee overall.  I've not much of a coffee snob either.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
Easily in my top five of overrated chains. On the rare occasion when I don't have coffee fixins at home there are plenty of other places I can go to that sell much better coffee for much fewer bucks. I've always been of the opinion that their popularity owes to selling coffee inspired frozen drinks to people who aren't really into coffee but still need their caffeine fix.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
I used to have it a lot when I had to wake up st 4am for work. I used to get lattes, Machiatos or Mocha. To be honest, not that great. I used to get it because I had time to kill before work and then got used to it.

Plus, there are too many of them. In Times Squares, NY, there are 5 stores, each a block away from each other.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
Easily in my top five of overrated chains. On the rare occasion when I don't have coffee fixins at home there are plenty of other places I can go to that sell much better coffee for much fewer bucks. I've always been of the opinion that their popularity owes to selling coffee inspired frozen drinks to people who aren't really into coffee but still need their caffeine fix.

Their food is better than their coffee so that's a big no no for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
I will typically just make coffee at home. If I'm out, then I'll hunt out a Wawa. If I can't find anywhere else, then I will go to a Starbucks if need be, but its rare.

Overall I think its overpriced, overcrowded and just ok coffee.

I wonder if this is how Canadians feel when it comes to Tim Hortons?  Just a curio question off the top of my head when it comes to talking about coffee chains.

I used to have it a lot when I had to wake up st 4am for work. I used to get lattes, Machiatos or Mocha. To be honest, not that great. I used to get it because I had time to kill before work and then got used to it.

Plus, there are too many of them. In Times Squares, NY, there are 5 stores, each a block away from each other.

How in the world do these stores manage to stay in business as a separate store?  Are people there really that desperate to get Starbucks that they are willing to walk to another block if one is full?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »

Might be top three.  I had one literally right across the street from me in Philly, and I can honestly band with no exaggeration say, I would not walk across the street for their coffee.  Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth; like an after-taste.  I make my own, go to Dunkin, or, believe it or not, McDonald's. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
Their coffee is nasty.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
How in the world do these stores manage to stay in business as a separate store?  Are people there really that desperate to get Starbucks that they are willing to walk to another block if one is full?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »
Coffee (and snarkiness) aside, it is incredible the brand that Starbucks created, and the culture that is associated with Starbucks. I know I speak from regionality (word?) but people here don't say "You want to get a latte?" or "let's meet at the coffee shop on the corner." They say "Let's get some/meet at Starbucks."

I went to a upper-middle class Jesuit high school in the 90s, and there were two kinds of people who came to school with a cup of coffee/latte/whatever: those who went to Starbucks and those who went somewhere else. If you didn't have that dumbass mermaid on your cup, you weren't as cool as those who did.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:47 PM »
Personally what cracks me up these days is how the other chains (around here being Peet's and Philz) actually manage to completely out-douche Starbucks.

I don't actually even drink coffee, fucking nasty shit, but iced tea is my lifeblood, and I've tried every iced tea in the area and Starbuck's is still my favorite. Plus it's nice to talk up the cute baristas at 4am before I head into 10 hours of work.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
Cumberland Farms has way better coffee and lattes, and any size you get is only $1. No thanks on Starbucks for me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:04 AM »
Usually nice and chill places if you need to wait for someone or have some time in-between commitments. They have some nice food but their coffee is shit.
Basically, they have achieved what they aimed for. They don't want to have the best coffee, they want to be that 3rd place in your life (1 is home, 2 is work) and as Cool Chris points out, people see Starbucks as the place where you can meet others.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »
Cumberland Farms has way better coffee and lattes, and any size you get is only $1. No thanks on Starbucks for me.

While I do hit up Starbucks across the street from my office (which is made 100% easier by just ordering on the app for pick-up) I agree that for your money Cumberland Farms outshines. I'm fortunate enough to have a few around me and I actively seek them out whenever I'm traveling in New England.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »
I rarely get just a 'normal' coffee there....'if' I have a hankerin' for one of the foo foo coffees I'll go there....usually a White Chocolate Mocha. But that's not very often because those things are like 900 calories  :lol

But, I do like a couple of their 'flavors' of coffee beans so I'll pick those up and get them ground for my home use.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
I rarely get just a 'normal' coffee there....'if' I have a hankerin' for one of the foo foo coffees I'll go there....usually a White Chocolate Mocha. But that's not very often because those things are like 900 calories  :lol

That's another really good point. I see people drink those things on like a daily basis and yeah they are delicious, but that's a once in a while treat for me. I couldn't do it on the daily

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
Well, who cares about a little obesity, diabeatis (because that's how Wilfred Brimley pronounces it) when you can be cool?  :)

(Though having said that; when I lived in Philly, for a while I was right on Broad Street about a block or so from the Gamble and Huff offices and studio.  "Gamble and Huff" are legendary for "The Sound of Philadelphia" - you might have heard of Chubby Checker, Teddy Pendergrass... Hall and Oates did some early stuff there - and are still active in the community.   On the odd occasion that I would go into that Starbucks across the street, for my daughter in the morning before her bus came, there were 4 or 5 guys that would almost always be in there.  Once in a while, one would have his keyboard and they would play and sing.   It was neat, because it wasn't a show, they weren't showing off, there was no "tip cup", or anything like that.  It wasn't a big deal; they would actually be very quiet (they might have been working on things) but they were very friendly and would let my daughter sit and listen until her bus came.  I miss that part a lot, because I didn't know who they were by name, but I feel like I was in the presence of greatness, at least relatively speaking.)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
It's convenience and brand name at this point. Back in the day it was more chic and cool but now it's utterly overpriced fast food, nothing more. I will however say that it's something to have the almost absolute guarantee to have one around the block pretty much in every city and even most smaller towns. Other than that...  :natalieportman:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
my thoughts on Starbucks?

great scam, wish I would have thought of it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online pg1067

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, so I've only been to Starbucks with others.  I did, however, have a white hot chocolate once that was very tasty.  Can't imagine dropping $5+ on coffee on a daily basis, however,.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »

Great summary of Starbucks, I couldn't agree more.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, so I've only been to Starbucks with others.  I did, however, have a white hot chocolate once that was very tasty.  Can't imagine dropping $5+ on coffee on a daily basis, however,.

Hey, Gene Simmons, how did you skate through 50 years never having had a cup of coffee?  I don't doubt you, I just think it's interesting); even when I didn't drink coffee, there were times - ski trips, work trips, weddings, etc. - where there wasn't really a better option). 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »

Hey, Gene Simmons, how did you skate through 50 years never having had a cup of coffee?  I don't doubt you, I just think it's interesting); even when I didn't drink coffee, there were times - ski trips, work trips, weddings, etc. - where there wasn't really a better option).

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life either.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
Never had coffee either.

Except coffee ice cream. Yum.

Starbucks was cool when I was working in the prison place and the only mediocre place to get lunch was a starbucks, who had decent sandwiches.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
Christ, how are there people who've never tried coffee? I suppose y'all are going to tell me you've never tried heroin, either. What a world.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »
My family is the type to have coffee multiple times a day. My grandma mother had a schedule of having coffee at 7am, 2pm and 6pm. Sometimes she would sneak in some coffee around 10-11am or passed 6 pm (specially if people were visiting).

With that said, by the time I was 11 I was having coffee 2 times a day. I stopped when I was 15 and started having coffee again after college (24 years old).

Online pg1067

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »

How?  It's easy.  I just didn't.  But yeah, I get that reaction a lot.  My father died when I was 7, so I don't know if he drank coffee, but my mother didn't, so it wasn't something that was around the house as I was growing up.  Any time we'd walk down the coffee aisle at a grocery store, she'd comment how she loved the smell but didn't like the taste.  I didn't like the smell.  My college experience was rather unusual (longer story than is warranted here), but I never pulled all-nighters.  Didn't do so in law school either.  Ultimately, I've simply never felt the need to drink coffee and, while I don't mind the smell anymore, it's not something I feel like I'm missing out on.

Christ, how are there people who've never tried coffee? I suppose y'all are going to tell me you've never tried heroin, either. What a world.

Well...I've never used any illegal drug, with one exception:  I was house-sitting for someone and invited a couple friends over, including a girl I had the hots for.  She brought some pot and got me to take one drag on a joint.  I don't actually recall tasting or feeling anything, so I'm not sure I did it "right."  This is the same girl I mentioned elsewhere who, prior to an Iron Maiden concert, bought LSD from someone in the parking lot and spent the entire concert in a nearly catatonic state.  Needless to say, I didn't spend much time around her after that .
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
I have tried coffee on a couple occasions, but that was never more than a sip. So while I have certainly drank coffee by definition, I can stand by the assertion that I've never "had a cup of coffee."

I also don't like the smell. From being a kid and smelling it waft up from the kitchen, to every morning when I come downstairs after my wife has brewed hers.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

Gene has other addictions. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
I have always loved the smell of coffee.  I remember trying it a couple of times as a kid and liking it, as long as it had cream and sugar.  My cousin once told me that that means I am not a "real" coffee drinker and don't like the taste of coffee--I just like the taste of the other stuff.  To me, that's a lame argument.  I like hamburgers and hot dogs, but I don't eat those completely plain on a dry piece of bread--I add condiments and flavor them to my liking.  I like various kinds of meat, but usually don't just eat a dry, unseasoned piece of meat--I have it with some sort of sauce, gravy, broth, etc.  Anyhow...

I hardly ever drank it when I was younger.  In college and law school, I started to a bit.  But it was usually grabbing a cup on a cold morning or having a cup with dessert in the evening.  The caffeine never seemed to do much for me as a "pick me up," and it doesn't keep me up at night unless I have a LOT to the point that I'm jittery (which I never do).  Even though I have it a lot more frequently now (a cup in the morning a few times a week, and maybe in the evening with dessert once a week or every couple of weeks).  But it is a nice "comfort drink" that I just enjoy. 

To the question asked:  I'm kinda indifferent to Starbucks.  Their regular coffee is okay, but not my go-to.  And it's overpriced, so there's that too.  But I'll grab a latte or mocha from there every now and then.  And during the holiday time, I have always liked their flavored coffee drinks (peppermint mocha, pumpkin spice latte or egg nog latte).  But outside of the holidays, it is rare that I go there unless I am going with a crowd for work or meeting somebody there.  Like I said, I have nothing against them--they are just expensive.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »

How?  It's easy.  I just didn't.  But yeah, I get that reaction a lot.  My father died when I was 7, so I don't know if he drank coffee, but my mother didn't, so it wasn't something that was around the house as I was growing up.  Any time we'd walk down the coffee aisle at a grocery store, she'd comment how she loved the smell but didn't like the taste.  I didn't like the smell.  My college experience was rather unusual (longer story than is warranted here), but I never pulled all-nighters.  Didn't do so in law school either.  Ultimately, I've simply never felt the need to drink coffee and, while I don't mind the smell anymore, it's not something I feel like I'm missing out on.

Well...I've never used any illegal drug, with one exception:  I was house-sitting for someone and invited a couple friends over, including a girl I had the hots for.  She brought some pot and got me to take one drag on a joint.  I don't actually recall tasting or feeling anything, so I'm not sure I did it "right."  This is the same girl I mentioned elsewhere who, prior to an Iron Maiden concert, bought LSD from someone in the parking lot and spent the entire concert in a nearly catatonic state.  Needless to say, I didn't spend much time around her after that .

See, there's the difference right there:  my dad and my maternal grandmother used heroin coffee like it was oxygen.  Tp this day, my dad to relax has my mom brew a pot of coffee (not what it sounds like; he has bad arthritis - not "knobbly fingers like Keith Richards" arthritis, but debilitating acute arthritis since he was about 35, so while he can do it, simple things like brewing coffee are a major production).