Author Topic: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?  (Read 6137 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your thoughts on Starbucks stores?
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
300 or 400 ml latte

It almost looks like you are speaking English here, but I still can't process what that means.
:lol google says 300 ml is about 10 ounces, whatever an ounce is ::) 200 ml is the amount in one classic tall glass you would use to drink water.

A standard soda can in the U.S. is 12 ounces and in Europe is 335 ml.  The notion that a 300-400 ml (10.14-13.53 oz.) coffee drink is "absurdly large" seems really strange.

Seems strange to me, but the coffee's I've had in some places in the Netherlands or Germany were so small that I could see if someone was used to that, that maybe a soda can sized coffee is large. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
Charbucks (Tarbucks, whatever) coffee is easily the single most offensive coffee in the history of bad coffee.  Imagine if you will:  A dump truck full of fresh coffee beans leaves Miami.  It drives to Seattle.  The entire time, the dump truck is spewing exhaust all over its open-air load of beans (aka "city roast").  When it reaches Seattle, it is roasted a full four hours longer than it should be, ground up, packaged, and sent out to their locations on every block of every major city in the country.  The location receives it, brews it, and lets is sit in an unwashed carafe on a hot plate for ten hours before it is allowed to be served to any customers.  That's how truly fucking vile their coffee is.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:22:11 PM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »
I take it you're not a fan of dark roast coffee.  :lol

But in terms of actually offensive there are many, many gas stations and the like that have that quasi-revolting instant tasting coffee. I'll do that in a pinch but I usually need to add things to it to get that instant coffee flavor somewhat masked.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
I moved into a city that has a Starbucks....

Living in the PNW, where there is a Starbucks on every corner) this made me chuckle. Don't know where you call home, but I cannot imagine moving to a city in the US that did not have a Starbucks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
300 or 400 ml latte

It almost looks like you are speaking English here, but I still can't process what that means.
:lol google says 300 ml is about 10 ounces, whatever an ounce is ::) 200 ml is the amount in one classic tall glass you would use to drink water.

A standard soda can in the U.S. is 12 ounces and in Europe is 335 ml.  The notion that a 300-400 ml (10.14-13.53 oz.) coffee drink is "absurdly large" seems really strange.
For coffee it's absurdly large to me. This is coming from someone who can barely finish a small soda drink at McD's/Burger King! The drink sizes in these big American chains are insane to me. I get the value for money, but *Kevin Moore voice* I need something smaller. Not that this is pan-European or anything, the coffee culture I grew up with favors smaller drinks - not Italy-level small, but not much bigger than that.

Living in the PNW, where there is a Starbucks on every corner) this made me chuckle. Don't know where you call home, but I cannot imagine moving to a city in the US that did not have a Starbucks.

Picture this: my home country is just getting its first Starbucks. As in, this month. In the capital. My home city is the third largest, so it's gonna take awhile.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2019, 07:06:39 AM »
300 or 400 ml latte

For coffee it's absurdly large to me. This is coming from someone who can barely finish a small soda drink at McD's/Burger King! The drink sizes in these big American chains are insane to me. I get the value for money, but *Kevin Moore voice* I need something smaller. Not that this is pan-European or anything, the coffee culture I grew up with favors smaller drinks - not Italy-level small, but not much bigger than that.

Picture this: my home country is just getting its first Starbucks. As in, this month. In the capital. My home city is the third largest, so it's gonna take awhile.

All around, though, you're on the mark.  One of the big problems here in the States is portion control.  It's ridiculous.  You almost have to go out of your way to order DOWN.  Everything is "X-tra!" and "Super Deluxe" and whatever.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2019, 11:44:40 PM »
I can't stand the culture that obsesses over Starbucks. The "Han Solo" girls that always wear boots and vests, drinking their pumpkin what-the-fuckevers.

That being said, I'm a lazy gamer that doesn't sleep enough, so when I need to fill my blood with caffeine I'm pretty thankful for the existence of a Starbucks next to my place of work.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
I can't stand the culture that obsesses over Starbucks. The "Han Solo" girls that always wear boots and vests, drinking their pumpkin what-the-fuckevers.

That being said, I'm a lazy gamer that doesn't sleep enough, so when I need to fill my blood with caffeine I'm pretty thankful for the existence of a Starbucks next to my place of work.

Just in the interest of science, where exactly are these "Han Solo girls"?   In the interest of science, of course.  :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2019, 12:33:51 AM »

Just in the interest of science, where exactly are these "Han Solo girls"?   In the interest of science, of course.  :)
Just a reference to a very popular fall outfit...

:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2019, 04:20:33 AM »
That's amazing. The herd mentality never ceases to amaze me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »

Yeah, that totally makes sense.  As Stadler pointed out, we have portion control issues here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
For coffee, if I don't finish it, I usually microwave it and finish the rest later.  Assuming it was just a black coffee like I usually drink.  I don't mind if I get too much.  But I'm also an over weight american  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
Not a fan of Starbucks (neither the burnt flavor nor the stupid size names), but it will do in a pinch.

I like Dunkin Donuts coffee.  But my preferred chain coffee is a chain of convenience stores called Sheetz.  I have no idea how widespread they are, but give me Sheetz over Starbucks any day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
Someone named their company Sheetz? And that company doesn't sell sheets?

And thanks for ruining one of my childhood cinematic icons whoever posted about the "Han Solo girls."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
There's Sheetz in PA, not in NJ or anywhere else from my experience.  I had no idea they were down south, it's one of my must stops when I go back to PSU for a football game or something.  It's like a wawa, but much better.  No surprise they have good coffee (I've had it before but its so rare for me that I can't remember enough to comment on its quality, but I like EVERYTHING from Sheetz).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
There's Sheetz in PA, not in NJ or anywhere else from my experience.  I had no idea they were down south, it's one of my must stops when I go back to PSU for a football game or something.  It's like a wawa, but much better. No surprise they have good coffee (I've had it before but its so rare for me that I can't remember enough to comment on its quality, but I like EVERYTHING from Sheetz).
Is that even possible???  Their sandwiches (WaWa) are killer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
There's Sheetz in PA, not in NJ or anywhere else from my experience.  I had no idea they were down south, it's one of my must stops when I go back to PSU for a football game or something.  It's like a wawa, but much better. No surprise they have good coffee (I've had it before but its so rare for me that I can't remember enough to comment on its quality, but I like EVERYTHING from Sheetz).

The wawa sandwiches alone maybe slightly better, but the rest of the menu (except mac and cheese) is not as good, wawa doesn't have nearly as many food options either.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
There are Sheetz everywhere in the greater Pittsburgh region. Their coffee and food is real good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Never been to Wawa, but the food at Sheetz is pretty good.

Their frozen hot chocolate (made with Ghirardelli chocolate) is to die for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
Half my diet is from Wawa  :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Weird, I have read this thread a bunch of times, might have even posted in it. But on the main page, it cut off the title and just said "Your thoughts on Sta"

And I was so excited to post my thoughts before realizing it was the Starbucks thread.
fanticide.bandcamp.com