Author Topic: Career Advice  (Read 1294 times)

Offline kaos2900

Career Advice
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Hey all, looking for some career advice. I'm almost 35 years old and have been doing my job for almost 6 years. I've been at my current company for 10 years. I get 5 weeks PTO with an additional week of holiday vacation days. I have a great covered close and reserved parking spot. I have a great 401k and insurance. The flexibility is great. To top it off I get paid well, or least I feel like I'm paid fairly. I'm respected and trusted by upper management. So on paper everything is great.

However, I'm not happy. I like, don't love, what I'm doing. I don't think I could do what I'm doing for another 30 years. There aren't many career advancement opportunities. The worst thing is I feel like the leadership and direction of the company is going in the wrong direction. I work for a decent sized insurance company and the decisions that are being made I feel will be adverse to our members, myself included.

So, based on all the great things I've listed above am I crazy to consider leaving just because I'm not happy? Do I suck it up because I have a stable job which provides for my family financially and the flexibility for me not to have to work more than 45 hours per week? There are a TON of job postings for what I do and I've been exploring other opportunities. If I could find a company that gives me the majority of the positives above but is a place that I actually enjoy working for then I'd be golden. I'm terrified that's not possible and I'll be giving up those good things for something worse.

On the flipside, how do I stay relevant working for the same company? What if I pass on something better because I've been here for a decade?

Anyone else been in a similar situation that could pass on some guidance?  Thanks in advance!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Career Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
My advice is to semi-actively seek other employment. No need to make it a huge priority, but it's never a bad idea for you to be looking. Apply and interview anywhere that looks promising. If someone makes you an offer, you can always try to negotiate more PTO, higher pay, etc.

I feel like I'm in a similar situation, though I think I like my current job more than you describe liking yours. My biggest fear with looking for another job is the expectation to work extra hours. My current job I rarely work more than 40 hours a week. I feel like that's a question it's hard to ask and get a square answer to in an interview. I doubt companies are ever going to admit they regularly expect their employees to put in 50+ hour weeks, work while on vacation, etc.

Personally, I've reached out to a couple recruiters and look on job boards every now and then. Haven't even applied to single job though because nothing sounds good. I guess it's nice to be in a position where I can be picky.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
I'm in a similar boat as well. I'm a bit burnt out with my job and I see little forward movement for myself here, but the pay and benefits are good.  It's not miserable here, so I wouldn't say "I'm not happy" but I also wouldn't say "I am happy" so that's maybe where we differ, but I have been wondering if the grass is greener. 

It doesn't hurt to look around and apply if you see something you like.  The fact is though, the grass isn't always greener which is what I keep coming back to when I bitch about my job.  I get some really nice perks so I dont know... I'm hard to give advice here because I feel like I'm stuck on the same boat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
I'm going to take the opposite line and say yeah, you're crazy. You say you "like, don't love" what you're doing. That right there puts you in a pretty high percentile. Most people can't say that. And you're well compensated, to boot. Think about it this way, can you envision a next job that you'll actually love after 10 years? Burn out is a real thing, but it's going to happen no matter where you are. If you quit and take another job it's pretty likely you'll be asking the same question 8 years from now.

Now, if the management is going in the wrong direction, an exit strategy is a damn fine thing to have. No argument on that one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
I appreciate the replies! I'm going to continue to test the waters but it's really going to have to be the perfect situation for me to leave. At the end of the day I need to support my family so I'm not going to do anything to sabotage that by leaving a job the allows me to do that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
I appreciate the replies! I'm going to continue to test the waters but it's really going to have to be the perfect situation for me to leave. At the end of the day I need to support my family so I'm not going to do anything to sabotage that by leaving a job the allows me to do that.
That's where I'm at too. I think overall it's a good place to be. Good luck to you!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
Hey, I'm 50 in June. I've been working here for 22 years. I hope to be able to retire at 60, so I've got at least another 10 years left. After 22 years I'm totally burnt out. I'm thinking about quitting this job - everyone says I must be mad to leave without having something else to do, but I really need to be unemployed for 6 months or so in order to find my mojo. It doesn't make any sense to anyone else, but it makes perfect sense to me. Now, if only I could pick up the courage to actually do it. I don't want to be here in 10 years time saying I'm 60 and have been here 32 years...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
Hey, I'm 50 in June. I've been working here for 22 years. I hope to be able to retire at 60, so I've got at least another 10 years left. After 22 years I'm totally burnt out. I'm thinking about quitting this job - everyone says I must be mad to leave without having something else to do, but I really need to be unemployed for 6 months or so in order to find my mojo. It doesn't make any sense to anyone else, but it makes perfect sense to me. Now, if only I could pick up the courage to actually do it. I don't want to be here in 10 years time saying I'm 60 and have been here 32 years...

If you could swing 6 months of not working to find the perfect job to finish out your career then more power to you. For me, there is no way I'm leaving unless I have another gig lined up.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
I'm going to continue to test the waters but it's really going to have to be the perfect situation for me to leave. At the end of the day I need to support my family so I'm not going to do anything to sabotage that by leaving a job the allows me to do that.

This is what I do. I don’t actively look for other positions but if I see one that I know I can perform well I’ll apply and interview. BUT, it has to be the perfect situation for me to consider leaving where I’m at.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
I'm going to take the opposite line and say yeah, you're crazy. You say you "like, don't love" what you're doing. That right there puts you in a pretty high percentile. Most people can't say that. And you're well compensated, to boot. Think about it this way, can you envision a next job that you'll actually love after 10 years? Burn out is a real thing, but it's going to happen no matter where you are. If you quit and take another job it's pretty likely you'll be asking the same question 8 years from now.

Now, if the management is going in the wrong direction, an exit strategy is a damn fine thing to have. No argument on that one.

Kind of where I'm parked too. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »

No offense to you - or to anyone else here - but you may want to rethink that.   I'm 52, well-educated, well-compensated, and well-regarded for the vast majority of my career, and yet... I'm feeling the pressure at this point.   I don't know your full demographics, but i know for me - white, straight male - I'm not getting the benefit of the doubt in any job opportunity.   You know the adage "Tie goes to the runner"?   For the first 25 years or so of my career, I was the runner.  Now, I'm very clearly the fielder.  If there's a younger/female/minority who is even close to my qualifications, I'm the back up plan.  And that's fine, there are no (well, few) sour grapes here.  I live in the world and I accept it for what it is.   But in terms of your post, you are, in my humble and deeply respectful opinion, being too optimistic in saying you can "plan" your unemployment that precisely.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »
I just don't think I could be capable and happy leaving a job and surviving without the income and eating through my savings.  It's been going through my mind a lot lately actually, but there was a guy here at my job who just had enough and was burnt out and said he needed time away, and quit without a job.  He said he had some plans but overall needed time off to recharge, but like how do you take that risk?  I'm not that big of a risk taker.  Maybe someone with a good skill set knows they can get a job easily, but I'm not that confident to be able to so easily, at least not a job that I would rate as better than what I have currently. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
I have 33 years of corporate experience.  Contrary to popular belief, the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence.  Especially in today's culture.  If you're paid well with great benefits and have a fair amount of time vested with the company, it's always in your best interest to stay.  Unless the conditions are completely unbearable and you have education and experience under your belt to move on.  But, that still wouldn't guarantee happiness.  The same problems exist just about everywhere you go.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 02:49:20 AM »

No offense to you - or to anyone else here - but you may want to rethink that.   I'm 52, well-educated, well-compensated, and well-regarded for the vast majority of my career, and yet... I'm feeling the pressure at this point.   I don't know your full demographics, but i know for me - white, straight male - I'm not getting the benefit of the doubt in any job opportunity.   You know the adage "Tie goes to the runner"?   For the first 25 years or so of my career, I was the runner.  Now, I'm very clearly the fielder.  If there's a younger/female/minority who is even close to my qualifications, I'm the back up plan.  And that's fine, there are no (well, few) sour grapes here.  I live in the world and I accept it for what it is.   But in terms of your post, you are, in my humble and deeply respectful opinion, being too optimistic in saying you can "plan" your unemployment that precisely.

And that's what's holding me back. I know it's tough out there, and I know that whatever job I do end up taking will involve a serious pay cut. I just think there must be more to life than work, and I really don't have the energy or enthusiasm to job hunt at the moment. I feel beaten and broken.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
I just don't think I could be capable and happy leaving a job and surviving without the income and eating through my savings.  It's been going through my mind a lot lately actually, but there was a guy here at my job who just had enough and was burnt out and said he needed time away, and quit without a job.  He said he had some plans but overall needed time off to recharge, but like how do you take that risk?  I'm not that big of a risk taker.  Maybe someone with a good skill set knows they can get a job easily, but I'm not that confident to be able to so easily, at least not a job that I would rate as better than what I have currently.

I think you hit on the most important point. I have a hard time imagining how bad a job must be to be worse than not making money.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 02:39:04 PM »
So after a phone interview and some other conversations with trusted peers, I've decided to stay put for the time being. I'm well compensated from a salary and benefit perspective and am listened to and valued. There is no doubt in my mind that if the company does go down the toilet that I'd be able to find a new job quickly.