Author Topic: Least Favorite 3 Album Stretch?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Least Favorite 3 Album Stretch?
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
Black Clouds, ADTOE, DT12.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »
ADTOE - DT - TA

ADTOE - is a good and consistent albums that only lacks a good production
DT - has my least favorite epic, least favorite instrument and a not a single song I that's anywhere near my favorites
TA - I appreciate the effort, totally understand why people adore it but I not my cup of tea

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
tough to say because they are a very consistent band. Probably SC, BC&SL, ADTOE.

Systematic Chaos is a very good album, for the first half. Then there's Repentance (yawn), Prophets of War (not terrible, but just ok), and Ministry (yawn). Even the first half of ItPoE - Part 2 is a snoozefest. The album ends pretty well though, eventually.

Black Clouds is a mess. Songs are too long, sound is too dark, lyrics are too literal. Not a lot to like (The Count of Tuscany notwithstanding).

A Dramatic Turn of Events is another case of half good, half boring. At least they spread the love here. First track is pretty good, then snoozefest until Bridges in the Sky. Outcry and Far From Heaven are nice. Breaking All Illusions is ok at best. I like the last song a lot.

And, for the record, I think Octavarium and DT12 are two of their most consistently good albums.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »
Octavarium - SC - BC&SL

Probably mine too. Definitely my least listened to three album stretch.

I agree 100%

Too much bloat on those albums. Some great songs like These Walls, Wither, ITPOE Part 1...but overall the weakest stretch

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »
ADTOE - DT12 - TA.  However, I like most of ADTOE.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Volante99

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
To be honest, the last 3 unfortunately.

A lot of D/T is listenable but I haven’t really fallen in love with it, yet. I’m slowly coming to the realization that maybe I’m just not that big of a fan of the post-Portnoy DT era (although I thought ADToE was a solid release).

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
ADTOE - DT12 - TA. I don't really like The Astonishing. I like some of DT12. ADTOE is the best of the three, but it starts to feel samey for me in certain aspects.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:45 PM »
Here's your daily dose of heresy:

WD&DU - I&W - Awake

It's the ONLY three album stretch in their discography that doesn't have a 5/5 album from me and has two of my least favorite of their albums: WD&DU and Awake. I like I&W still tho, but it's more of a 9 than a 10 for me.

Second place would be either:

Octavarium - Systematic Chaos - Black Clouds

or

SC - BC&SL - ADToE

But Octavarium and ADToE are both two of my favorite albums by them.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 12:58:27 AM »
8vm-SC-BC&SL
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline efx

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 04:14:45 AM »
I would probably say ADTOE/DT12/TA. I'm conflicted about it because there are two stellar tracks each on the first two but TA is just something I will never listen to again so overall this would have the be the weakest run for me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 04:26:44 AM »
I would probably say ADTOE/DT12/TA. I'm conflicted about it because there are two stellar tracks each on the first two but TA is just something I will never listen to again so overall this would have the be the weakest run for me.

This. Any run of 3 consecutive albums has at least one good album in it, but TA drags the average score of this 3-album run right down. This isn't a dig at the MM-era band by any means, both ADTOE and d/t are excellent, and DT12 is quite good. It's just TA I don't like.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
ADToE, s/t, TA
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline krands85

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »
There are only 2 runs of 3 without one of my 4 top tier albums - Octavarium-Systematic Chaos-Black Clouds & DT12-The Astonishing-D/T.

Both have a couple mid-tier albums and a bottom tier album and although 8VM-BC&SL probably has more lows, it also has lots more highs, with many more of my favourite individual DT songs.

So I'd have to go with the most recent three albums.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
Probably Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds. Although I do quite enjoy Octavarium.
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds & Silver Linings, A Dramatic Turn of Events
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask