Author Topic: Least Favorite 3 Album Stretch?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Least Favorite 3 Album Stretch?
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »
Definitely ADTOE -> DT12 -> The Astonishing

I like ADTOE, but their last 2 albums are their weakest besides the debut. I agree, there's a great 45-50 minute album somewhere in TA, and the sound is alright. DT12 suffers from many problems both with composition and sound production, and I don't really care for any of the tunes, Enemy Inside is OK, but still feels rushed and unfinished, like the ideas could have been fleshed out a little more. My favorite part of DT12 is the little Easter egg at the end, I could listen to an album's worth of that stuff all day.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
This one was even easier.   Instantly SC-BCSL-ADTOE.   

ADTOE is actually a pretty decent album.   But SC and BCSL are the two worst by a pretty fair margin and since 8V is my #1 all time favorite, ADTOE becomes the sacrificial lamb.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Right now, even though I think 8VM is pretty decent, it's 8VM-BCSL-SC

However, based solely on the released songs, that list could change in a few weeks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »
OV - SC - BC&SL for me as well.

Actually, I enjoy SC much more than most people around here, but the other two aren't too high on my list, so this is my pick.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Welp, I'm gonna say it now that the trailer's been released:  DT12, TA, DOT.  I don't think DOT will be better than ADTOE, so that seals it.

That doesn't mean DOT doesn't sound some juicy sounding stuff on it.  Who knows, maybe it'll surprise me.  But it's hard to top an album with both BITS and BAI on it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
8V-SC-BC&SL
2007-2010 were the lowest days for me as a fan.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
Octavarium - SC - BC&SL

Agreed. I remember after Black Clouds I was starting to lose interest. I would never give up on the band completely but I was more interested in James Labrie's solo stuff at the time. Some great songs among those albums but overall very lacking compared to their entire 14 album discography.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:33:43 PM by bill1971 »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

I like ADTOE, but their last 2 albums are their weakest besides the debut. I agree, there's a great 45-50 minute album somewhere in TA, and the sound is alright. DT12 suffers from many problems both with composition and sound production, and I don't really care for any of the tunes, Enemy Inside is OK, but still feels rushed and unfinished, like the ideas could have been fleshed out a little more. My favorite part of DT12 is the little Easter egg at the end, I could listen to an album's worth of that stuff all day.

I agree with this order and most of the commentary, too.

For me, DT12 is their weakest album by some distance followed by Awake and The Astonishing. A Dramatic Turn of Events isn't too bad although it's horribly let down by the saccharine ballads.

I'm very hopeful about Distance Over Time, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »

I agree with this order and most of the commentary, too.

For me, DT12 is their weakest album by some distance followed by Awake and The Astonishing. A Dramatic Turn of Events isn't too bad although it's horribly let down by the saccharine ballads.

I'm very hopeful about Distance Over Time, though.

That is so interesting to see all the tastes on here. Awake is probably my favorite DT album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
I honestly can't answer that question.  I've tried but I keep running into road blocks, I try to think of three in a row and it gets interrupted by a killer album. Example, I started with FII and instantly ran into a huge road block.
Then I tried ending with FII, that didn't work either...and that doesn't include ACOS since it isn't a full album.
 This topic is difficult,  you ask the impossible!  :justjen
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
It's tough, tends to be that there can be two albums in a row I'd rate towards the lower end of my favourites (Awake and FII, DT12 and The Astonishing) but not three. Depending on how good the new album is, it could complete the trio of my new least favourite album stretch, but it'd not be by much (unless Distance Over Time is really shockingly awful).

I guess that Octavarium - Systematic Chaos - Black Clouds & Silver Linings would be the answer for a lot of people since it's one of the stretches of 3 that doesn't contain an album that loads of people tend to rate extremely highly, and the band was fairly consistent in their style. That's not the case for me though, even if they are not in my top few I rate all those albums around the middle of the discography, am a fan of the overall style, and can't ignore that they contain some of my absolute favourite Dream Theater songs.

Technically the correct answer from my perspective would probably  be WDADU - I&W - Awake, since it contains an album that's extremely far below the rest of the discography in my preferences and that I rarely listen to the studio version (WDADU) and one of the albums that's towards the lower end of the rankings (Awake), but I&W is among my favourite and it just seems a bit stupid as an answer since I'm just punishing it for being near WDADU  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
Falling Into Infinity, Scenes from a Memory, & Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. OR Awake, Falling Into Infinity, & Scenes From a Memory. OR Images & Words, Awake, & Falling Into Infinity.

I was going to choose Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, & Black Clouds & Silver Linings because Octavarium is one of my least favorite albums but then I remembered I like it more than Falling Into Infinity which is my least favorite album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
Not surprisingly, SC and Black Clouds are mentioned in a ton of posts, and then it comes to down which album people like more, Octavarium or A Dramatic Turn of Events, in which album becomes the 3rd of their 3-album stretch. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
Not surprisingly, SC and Black Clouds are mentioned in a ton of posts, and then it comes to down which album people like more, Octavarium or A Dramatic Turn of Events, in which album becomes the 3rd of their 3-album stretch.

This is only because WDADU has IAW and Awake next to it, and FII has those two or SFAM and SDOIT  :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
6 D's
Train Of Thought
8V
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:49:14 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 08:34:02 PM »
6 Degrees
Train Of Thought
Systematic Chaos

HERESY! (I agree on Systematic Chaos).

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
Systematic Chaos - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - A Dramatic Turn of Events

I really like ADTOE but if we're counting 3 in a row, I picked that over 8V.

Are we just limiting this to Dream Theater or can we talk about other bands also?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
6 Degrees
Train Of Thought
Systematic Chaos

HERESY! (I agree on Systematic Chaos).

I edited my post. 8V comes after ToT, not SC.  :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »

This is only because WDADU has IAW and Awake next to it, and FII has those two or SFAM and SDOIT  :P

It's like a batter being protected in a lineup by two power house hitters.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
ADTOE
DT
TA

Offline JoSeM90DT

• A Venezuelan Dreamer
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2019, 07:07:50 AM »
Definitely their last 3 albums:

- A Dramatic Turn of Events
- Dream Theater
- The Astonishing

I miss MP drumming tho.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »
Octavarium - Systematic Chaos - Black Clouds

Octa is an amazing album, probably my sixth favorite of them, but I honestly pick ADToE over it (Sure Octa has the best song of any of both albums, but ADToE is the better album for me). SC and BC&SL were good, but they make my 2 least favorite album stretch... So Octa has to unfortunately pay for it.

Offline JLa

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 04:13:35 AM »
I really hate to say it, but mine is their 3 latest.

Yup. Fingers crossed the negative trend will be broken with tomorrow's release!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 06:01:10 AM »
Octavarium: Except the title track and TALW, nothing to see here

SC: Actually a fine funny album, unfortunately here by virtue of streak

BC&SL: Four otherwordly musical moments inside a disjointed lazy mess of an album

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »
Octavarium: Except the title track and TALW, nothing to see here

SC: Actually a fine funny album, unfortunately here by virtue of streak

BC&SL: Four otherwordly musical moments inside a disjointed lazy mess of an album

I agree about the bolded part on SC.

We picked the same 3 album run.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »
ADTOE (not that bad actually, had huge hopes after this one)
DT12 (Let down)
The Astonishing (Even bigger let down)
and I've got a feeling that
Distance over Time (fingers crossed but there's been nothing to show for years now so no big hopes)

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Either one of these two:
I&W - Awake - FII
ADToE - DT12 - TA

I love I&W but never listen to Awake or FII.
I love ADToE but never listen to DT12 or TA anymore.

Pretty much nailed it...although I did really enjoy TA.

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
For once I seem to be in majority (though the D/T discussion seems to be developing in my favor, too). My least favorite three-album streak is Octavarium - SC - BC&SL

With Octavarium, I like its overall sound and scope, the crisp production and agreeable warmth. A better effort than the two consequent efforts, but lacking in song-writing department (though I like These Walls for its ambiance and a fair share of title track).

For me - and I apologize if someone is distressed by this - SC is the low-point of DT career. The entire band sounds tired and disinterested and going through the motions. Plus the sound is horrid.

BC&SL was an improvement in production department, but again, other than (parts of) TCoT, no songs grab me.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
I agree.  TCOT has great music, but the lyrics...i can't get past those!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2019, 05:05:57 PM »
- A Dramatic Turn of Events
- Dream Theater
- The Astonishing

The 1st and 3rd are just downright terrible. So much so, that they don't even get a spot on my iPod. Probably my 2 least favorite of their albums. I actually really like the self-titled, but it is hampered by terrible sonics and production.

For me, they are adhering to the TOS Star Trek movie format. The even numbers are really good and the odds, not so much.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »
We are really going to milk this "3 straight" topic ah.

Favorite stretch of prog metal concept albums where the protagonist is in a coma and travels through worlds representing different parts of his mind

Easy one: Coma Ecliptic, Automata I, Automata II  ;D

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »
SC - BC&SL - ADTOE

All these have lots of things I like and some great tracks (The Count of Tuscany's easily a top 5 one for me) but as records they are all in the lower half of the discography in my book. I'd probably rate DT12 higher than SC most days and The Astonishing would be a contender for #7 which leaves me with this streak.

SC is not a weak record per se, it just hasn't aged that great. I'll play it on occasion but I don't go back to it that often. BC&SL falls in the same category although the final 2 tracks for me are in "classic" territory. ANTR is great until it gets too long and I never liked what they opted to do with TSF, I get why they put all these parts in there but I almost felt robbed when I heard it for the first time and it's also just a little longer than it could be IMO. I like AROP and Wither. Wither's one of my favorite mellow songs they've done actually.

I like ADTOE more than those 2, my only complaint about it is that structurally some sections or even whole songs are very similar to things they've done in the past. But given the context at the time, that's fine. Also I wonder what it could've ended up sounding like if Mangini had actual input. Oh well.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
ADTOE - DT12 - TA

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
I cannot answer, I really like 8V and ADTOE, I like all DT work,
but the least listend to are:
WDADU
FII
SC
BC&SL
DT12
Carpe diem baby

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
tied between the first and last four MP albums, because you had FII and WDADU in the first four and everything after 6D in the last four. (three isn't sufficient enough sometimes given DT's vast scope of material). FII is their worst one ever IMHO though.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"