Author Topic: Dream Theater - Distance Over Time - review by Rick Lockrem  (Read 2061 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time - review by Rick Lockrem
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
Dream Theater’s 14th studio release is upon us and…14?  Really? It’s been a long road since the early 90’s.   
I have to make a confession before starting this review.  I must admit my bias as Dream Theater being my favorite band and has been since I first heard Pull Me Under on the radio in 1992. Yes, I am showing my age. I was a straight ahead metal guy before that moment. But once I listened to Images and Words, the door into progressive music was opened and I have never looked back.  So forgive me please if there are moments where the fan in me overrules the critic.
After experimenting with a concept rock musical release in The Astonishing (which I am not afraid to say I enjoyed even though I know there are some in their fan base who did not), they have returned to their prog metal roots with Distance Over Time, and I couldn’t be happier.
From the press release:  “For the first time in two decades, the bandmates lived, wrote and recorded together over a four-month period at the secluded, five-acre Yonderbarn studios in Monticello, NY. They all moved into the property’s country-house where they shared memories, took turns manning the BBQ and fortifying lifelong friendships as the music happened organically and spontaneously throughout the summer in the beautifully converted barn only footsteps away.”

And I think this record really does show the fruits of this “old school” approach. Dream Theater has been criticized before for just writing in the studio and not really giving the songs time to grow and develop.  These songs are well crafted and have a maturity to them. And, for the first time in a while, for me at least, I found more emotion in the songs and melodies. At the same time, make no mistake, there are guitar riffs everywhere. Petrucci’s hands are all over this.

However, to tell the truth, upon first listen there was nothing that jumped out to me as an instant classic. But with each listen it just keeps getting better. And would we really expect anything else from these prog metal masters? There are a ton of subtleties in this release that your brain simply does not process the first few listens. Rather, you pick up little things as you let this stew in your mind and ears.
As I digested this, I did not find myself going back to any particular song. But, as I would go through each track, it would just hit me, “Wow! this is a good song.” And each time I went through the album I had to wonder aloud where my hour went. The epic tracks are enjoyable listens, and are not long, just for wankery’s sake. So it really is a delightful and entertaining listen.
Sonically, to me, this is the best sounding album in a while, and is the best Mike Magini’s kit has sounded since joining Dream Theater. Your subwoofers will get quite a workout with the combination of Mike’s kick drums and John Myung’s thick, rumbling bass tone (yes we get to hear John Myung in the mix this time). Now, some might disagree with how James LaBrie’s voice is in the mix.  It’s slightly back in the mix (though still easily audible and out front, unlike, for instance, Redemption’s This Mortal Coil). I think it actually enhances the listening experience as it blends in a little more and becomes, in a way, another instrument, working in harmony with the rest of the band.
So let’s take a quick track-by-track walk through the record.

1.   “Untethered Angel” (6:28) - This song is unmistakable Dream Theater.  At the surface you might say, I’ve heard this before.  But after a few listens of this tune in the headphones I figured out why.  DT have managed to squeeze a few elements of all their eras into this tune.  There are hints all over the place of sounds, phrasing or passages of music that allude to the greatness of what they have done in the past, but yet it manages to escape being a repeat performance. It features a great Petrucci/Rudess dual, and a catchy chorus.

2.   “Paralyzed” (4:25) - Straight ahead rocker.  At 4:25 might be the most radio ready/friendly song on the disc. Parts of it nod to “Home” from Scenes from a Memory. You can really hear Myung in the mix. But you definitely hear those layers of that “cake” riffing that JP strives for.

3.   “Fall into the Light” (7:14) – What a great opening riff!  Possibly favorite riff on an album full of riffs. It screams 70’s blues hard rock but quickly races into a delightful metal passage (oxymoron here?).  However, when you get into the meat verses and chorus, it slows into a mid-tempo but classic DT that reminds me of the 6 degrees era. But don’t get too comfortable there, because the band takes off again, jamming for several minutes before coming home.

4.   “Barstool Warrior” (6:53) – Another song with a chorus that has a Scenes feel.  I really like the way this song flows along.  The band really has a good feel here, working with each other to paint a lush sonic landscape. Nice keyboard intro that builds into a full band experience, starting with an Images reminiscent piece that morphs into something deeper.  I really dig this one.

5.   “Room 137” (4:28) – a dirty and gritty tune. This marks the first lyrical contribution by Mangini. As you can imagine, the drums and groove feature prominently here. Definitely a track featuring a style we have not seen much from DT before. At times has a feel you might have found on Awake. I might have liked LaBrie’s vocals to have been less “clean” here.

6.   “S2N” (6:32) – John Myung says “Hello” again. He really shines on this track, laying down a great groove in parts, and really enhancing the arrangements in others. A real musical journey on this one. Lots of prog elements throughout. Fantastic Petrucci solo featured here too. This song will be a hit live, with its trade-offs in the middle.

7.   “At Wit’s End” (9:34) Starts off with another fantastic Rudess/Petrucci shredding run. Next is a galloping band riff that reappears throughout the track. I think this is a special tune. Love the jam that takes it through the end.  Great emotion in the music here in LaBrie’s lyrics about abuse. When he sings “Don’t leave me now…” you can feel the tension as the band plays this one to its beautiful conclusion. This one may just turn into a fan favorite.

8.   “Out of Reach” (4:11) – Lightest song on the disc. Probably classifies as a ballad. Starts slow and slowly builds as the band continuously works to fill in the arrangements and the song progresses. Fairly straight ahead tune but easy to listen to and is quite enjoyable.

9.   “Pale Blue Dot” (8:41) – The album closes with this near 9 minute epic.  Possibly the heaviest sounding and feeling track of the lot. It begins with vocal audio clips to set the tone and then Mangini starts tattering across his cymbals before the whole band crushes you with a heavy staccato machine gun riff. A little jam follows that really highlights how good that production is on the record.  You can distinctly hear all the instruments racing through the notes forming a cohesive sound. The feel of the melody and lyrics hearkens back to the Systematic Chaos album. A solid finish for sure.

10.   “Viper King” (4:08) – Bonus Track – This little track is an interesting one.  Kind of playful.  Jordan starts off with a Deep Purple like Hammond keyboard riff. The LaBrie penned lyrics talks of fast cars.  Kind of a Van Halen feel in parts. The guitars and bass really find a thick, dirty little groove here.  Then another keys/guitar interplay. Definitely a fun time.

Overall this album is very energetic, heavy, fun and most of all, very good. Even though they do not redefine the genre they created they were still able to write songs that don’t sound like other Dream Theater songs but are very much Dream Theater.  I don’t think any DT fans are going to walk away from this release disappointed.  There is something here for fans of all their styles and material.  It’s really a complete record that showcases everything we love about this band.

9.5/10

Another great review, this was supposed to go live on LotsOfMuzik but since the merge happened and our partners have already a review on the site this one it's without a home, but I am sharing it here.

Review by Rick Lockrem

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Dream Theater - Distance Over Time - review by Rick Lockrem
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
Very enjoyable read. Thanks for this.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »
Great review!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »
BTW, Rick it's a member of DTF I think his review it's very good too

Offline adamack

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »
Great, thanks!

Pretty much every review I’ve read has been positive about the album.

This is a pleasant surprise, because I just got the feeling that a large percentage of people felt at least 2 of the first 3 tracks were middle of the road for DT.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:09:14 AM »
Having heard the entire album the first two singles didn't do much for me but the rest of the album it's VERY goodbetween DT standards. I even started to appreciate Out of Reach more and more and now I like it (I had deleted it from my playlist) Initially I gave the album a 6.5 rating, now, it is a solid 8 as I have let the album sink and there are many subtles things to appreciate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
BTW, Rick it's a member of DTF

What's his handle here?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
However, to tell the truth, upon first listen there was nothing that jumped out to me as an instant classic. But with each listen it just keeps getting better.

This has been my experience with all three singles. So the lesson is: don't judge it on first listen.

Four days to go!