Author Topic: Distance over time- an interesting review!!!  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Distance over time- an interesting review!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:44:29 AM »
Good review. Far too many factual inaccuracies though.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:04:05 AM »
Well, I've only heard the first 3 songs, and while I wouldn't quite describe them that way, I kind of agree with the sentiment behind that review. I liked the rocket shedding stages analogy though!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »

I thought it was an interesting read, and not just because I also write for the same website and because John is my friend. But what kind of innacuracies did you find?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:09:22 AM »
I don't know how to take seriously a review where Paralyzed is discussed without discussing Mangini's drumming in that song. Or to describe the trashy start of FitL as sounding like any other contemporary DT song.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:23:44 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:21:09 AM »

I thought it was an interesting read, and not just because I also write for the same website and because John is my friend. But what kind of innacuracies did you find?
You're right, I found it to be an interesting read too. Now these dreaded factual inaccuracies: Victoria died in 1928 (not 1929,in a parallel universe in Room 137 maybe :D ), there are 4 J's in the band (Jordan, James, JP, JM), "Into The Light" (should be Fall Into The Light, but we know that), D/T is the 14th album (not the 15th)  And now something else I've come across I found strange, but there may be some logic behind it: These sportspeople analogies. I wonder what they mean. But I like that the review seems to be rather a positive one overall, which I think is a good thing. And I'm not saying your colleague did a bad job or you did or anyone, don't confuse that please. Loved the interviews with James and Jordan.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:33:29 AM »
Positive enough review, just littered with the aforementioned mistakes, no mention whatsoever of “Out of Reach” and reads entertaining enough, but could strip it back a little on all the analogies. The only other thing that bothers me, and this can be said of multiple reviews- I don’t care what Haken and co. personally do. I’ve come to read a DT review as I like that band. As hard as I’ve tried, I just don’t care for those other bands, therefore if they truly are doing something different, it’s lost on me as their music simply doesn’t resonate with me. I just don’t know why you’d have to really even mention other bands. Apologies if that all comes across as a bit negative- I’m actually very chilled  :hat - just a few general thoughts. Peace  :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:43:07 AM »
It is very difficult to describe music without reference to other bands. You do need to say "sounds like Led Zeppelin" or "sounds like The Beatles" and just hope that your readers are familiar with those bands.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »

You're right, I found it to be an interesting read too. Now these dreaded factual inaccuracies: Victoria died in 1928 (not 1929,in a parallel universe in Room 137 maybe :D ), there are 4 J's in the band (Jordan, James, JP, JM), "Into The Light" (should be Fall Into The Light, but we know that), D/T is the 14th album (not the 15th)  And now something else I've come across I found strange, but there may be some logic behind it: These sportspeople analogies. I wonder what they mean. But I like that the review seems to be rather a positive one overall, which I think is a good thing. And I'm not saying your colleague did a bad job or you did or anyone, don't confuse that please. Loved the interviews with James and Jordan.

...and I don't think it's a nylon string guitar in FITL interlude, should be an acoustic...

Nice review anyway.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline erciccio

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »
Or to describe the trashy start of FitL as sounding like any other contemporary DT song.

At most you could describe it as "other contemporary Metallica" ...if the review had been written in 1988 :)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:10 AM »
I loved that review...  clearly written by a fan that was able to be objective and didn’t just throw out the typical cookie cutter crap we always see in reviews.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
"Jim Clark won more Formula 1 and 2 races than any driver in history, and yet no one expected it. Tom Brady has a higher statistical probability of playing in an AFC playoff than most people do of making it to work on time. Hank Aaron hit a hell of a lot of home runs, but no one expected it on every hit."

Exactly my thoughts about the new album...  :biggrin: Kiddin...great review !

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, I started a different one
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:20:36 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »
At the end of this this particular write-up, the reviewer says:

The real enemy of Dream Theater remains Dream Theater, for setting the bar to Olympic pole-vaulting heights, and then setting the expectations for fans and us in the press to somehow meet or exceed that. It may not be realistic to expect that.

I kind of understand this line of thinking, but I respectfully disagree with it. To me, this is just setting yourself up for disappointment. What band, fourteen albums in, delivers their best? I am sure there are some examples, but it is exceedingly rare. At this juncture in their careers, if you expect Dream Theater to exceed the bar set by albums like I&W, Awake, SFAM, etc., you are kind of expecting them to do something that few/no other bands have done, and then getting disappointed when the inevitably do not pull it off. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
At Wit's End is described as quite heavy, but the review to which the thread is dedicated mentions piano balladish parts.... how does the song actually goes? (for the reviewers who already heard it)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rab7

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »
there are 4 J's in the band (Jordan, James, JP, JM)....These sportspeople analogies. I wonder what they mean.

I think at that point he was talking about the instrumentalists at this point. "Mike Mangini is the real deal, and puts down the intense time signatures and beats with the 3 J’s as well as anyone conceivably ever could." He's referring to Mike's cohesion with John, John, and Jordan.

As for sportspeople analogies, he's saying that you won't expect every legendary sportsperson to do amazing things at every opportunity (e.g. We're not expecting Cristiano Ronaldo to get a hat trick every single game that we watch him), so we shouldn't expect DT (the athlete) to make a new SFAM (or whatever you consider their magnum opus) everytime they put out a new record

At Wit's End is described as quite heavy, but the review to which the thread is dedicated mentions piano balladish parts.... how does the song actually goes? (for the reviewers who already heard it)

Fall Into the Light is overall heavy, but has the beautiful melodic part in the middle, so I assume they mean At Wit's End has some similar changes

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
ah that's what the analogy was about. Now I understand. Sorry about that then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »

It has both.  This song really does a lot of different things, and does them well.  This is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  Might be the best song on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
I'm really anxious to hear Pale Blue Dot...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Pale Blue Dot and Barstool Warrior has me the most intrigued.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »
Barstool Warrior...sonically, I would compare it to Blind Faith, The Bigger Picture, and The Looking Glass. 

Pale Blue Dot is the best Symphony X song DT has ever done. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
It is very difficult to describe music without reference to other bands. You do need to say "sounds like Led Zeppelin" or "sounds like The Beatles" and just hope that your readers are familiar with those bands.

Referencing bands or songs for describing similarities etc. is understandable. Referencing bands to highlight what they are doing is more innovative and fresh than a band that has been around for 14 albums is pointless...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »

Early Symphony X or latter Symphony X?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't know how to take seriously a review where Paralyzed is discussed without discussing Mangini's drumming in that song. Or to describe the trashy start of FitL as sounding like any other contemporary DT song.

I hope you meant thrashy, not trashy.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »

:eek

Offline LKap13

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:05 PM »
Good news then. Symph X is my second favorite band  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »

Hopefully, latter :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 04:30:17 AM »

Hopefully, earlier :biggrin:

FTFY

Divine Wings of Tragedy and Odyssey send their regards

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »

Hopefully, earlier :biggrin:

FTFY

Divine Wings of Tragedy and Odyssey send their regards

Paradise Lost and Iconoclast are my SX favorites, so I respectfully disagree  ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dream75

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 06:44:31 AM »

It has both.  This song really does a lot of different things, and does them well.  This is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  Might be the best song on the album.

I listened to about 2 minutes of At Wit's End 😁 In my opinion it will be the best of the album  :metal

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 06:24:00 AM »
The "stabbed rat" part of the review made me LOL.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
Hardcore DT Hipsters? What does that mean?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!