Author Topic: Your Favorite 3-Album Stretch?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Your Favorite 3-Album Stretch?
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
Definitely Awake - FII - SFAM.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
Tough choice, but I'm going with SDOIT - TOT - 8VM because it has the trifecta bonus of containing my first DT songs(TOT), my favorite song(8VM), and my most listened songs(SDOIT).

Honorable second place mention to WDADU - I&W - AWAKE
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
Another vote for Scenes - Six Degrees - ToT. And I know it's been mentioned 999,999 times already on this board but I'll take the chance to make it an even million: what a pair of albums SFAM and Six Degrees are. Recently I listened to them back to back and was as blown away as I was when I first heard them many years ago.

And ToT has my favourite 'ending pair' of songs in the DT discography: Stream of Consciousness and In The Name of God. Incredible way to end an incredible album.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »
Another vote for Scenes - Six Degrees - ToT. And I know it's been mentioned 999,999 times already on this board but I'll take the chance to make it an even million: what a pair of albums SFAM and Six Degrees are. Recently I listened to them back to back and was as blown away as I was when I first heard them many years ago.

And ToT has my favourite 'ending pair' of songs in the DT discography: Stream of Consciousness and In The Name of God. Incredible way to end an incredible album.

1999-2001 is the absolute peak of Dream Theater, musically and compositionally. It is their prime.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 07:22:57 PM »
Believe it or not I have to go with the Mangini albums despite my love for I&W, SFAM, etc because FII is so weak it ruins the other 3-album runs. The first 3 would be a close second.

Offline adamack

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
EDIT: Moved to “least favorite 3 album stretch” thread

Offline LKap13

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »
SFAM, 6DOIT, TOT

I&W, Awake, FII a close second. It's tough to put I&W and awake in a second place category, but TOT>>FII

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
Believe it or not I have to go with the Mangini albums despite my love for I&W, SFAM, etc because FII is so weak it ruins the other 3-album runs.

I have that same issue. If you look at the run from I&W-Awake-FII-SFaM-SDoIT, FII is definitely the sore thumb that sticks out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
My default would have to be SDOIT-8V with Six Degrees being the weakest link in the chain. I almost feel about that the way most people are talking about FII.

It’s hard to believe that as much as I adore DT, they really don’t have a completely “rock solid”, “perfect 10” 3 album run.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dream75

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 05:16:06 AM »
WDADU - I&W - AWAKE

Offline adamack

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »
Believe it or not I have to go with the Mangini albums despite my love for I&W, SFAM, etc because FII is so weak it ruins the other 3-album runs.

I have that same issue. If you look at the run from I&W-Awake-FII-SFaM-SDoIT, FII is definitely the sore thumb that sticks out.

One hundred percent without question.

I've never really thought of this before. If FII would have been an amazing album, DT would have had almost a decade-long run of masterpiece-level albums.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 06:33:25 AM »
I'll guess it will be ADTOE-DT12-D/T (skipping The Astonishing)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
Scenes From a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Train of Thought
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
SFAM, Six Degrees and ToT.

My personal top 3

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
Images-Awake-FII. And while FII is the lesser of the three, there is enough awesomeness on that record for my tastes (specifically Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Anna Lee, and Trial of Tears) that it is absolutely up there in my album rankings.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
Mine is also Images thru Falling Into Infinity, although if I could pick four, it'd be Images thru Scenes.
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
SFaM - SDoIT - ToT

Runner-up:
SDoIT - ToT - Octavarium

That 4 run of albums is like peak DT for me

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 01:04:01 AM »
I&W - Awake - FII

The first two are my favourite DT albums. FII isn't quite up there, but not too far off either.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2019, 01:27:54 AM »
WDADU - IW - AWAKE. Though  FII and WDADU both vie for my top 3 album spot with Awake them Images being the top 2.

Offline efx

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2019, 07:16:33 AM »
Easy. I&W-Awake-FII

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
Gotta go with WDaDU/IaW/Awake - I could probably have chosen any of the options that went up to SDoIT, but all of those get weighed down by FII, which is a decent album, but overall rates low for me in their catalog. WDaDU, as you all probably know from Rob's Full Circle podcast, rates pretty highly in my book.   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Images-Awake-Falling
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?