Author Topic: Your Favorite 3-Album Stretch?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline adamack

Your Favorite 3-Album Stretch?
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:48 PM »
First off - deserved shouts out to AboutToCrash and MirrorMask for the "consecutive threes" topic ideas. And apologies if this topic has been done before. I was absent for awhile until recently so I may have missed it.

What is your favorite 3-album stretch?

This is a piece of cake for me. SFaM, SDoIT, and ToT. I will always feel like this was DT in their prime. Definitely Jordan in his prime too. These 3 albums are masterpieces IMO, and if these were the only 3 albums the band ever made, it would still be enough to keep me listening forever.

SFaM is my favorite album by any band, ever. I feel like it's still their most ambitious album, and it just has this nostalgic quality that has managed to remain as good as it was when it came out.

I've always loved Six Degrees, but not until the past year or so has it entered into my top 3. Blind Faith and The Great Debate really punctuate the first disc for me, and the title track is among their best.

ToT is one that I played to DEATH when it came out. I listened to it from 2003 until 2009 or so, but I did tire of it. BUT it's back in full force now, and I have much more appreciation for Stream of Consciousness and This Dying Soul (which, believe it or not, used to be 2 of my lesser favs on the album!) than ever.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Your Favorite 3-Album Stretch?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
Scenes - 6DOIT - TOT easily.

As you say, it was DT in their prime. I became a fan during the TOT days and man, it was great. It was so wonderful to discover the discography and being amazed by every album. I kinda miss those days, in which DT was nothing but pure joy amongst the fanbase even (considering TOT had its fair share of criticism back in the day, and now it's safe to say that it's aged wonderfully).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »
Yeah, I'll go with the SFAM -> 6DOIT -> ToT camp.

The first two being my two favorite DT albums, and ToT, while not one of their all-time greats for me, is solid all around.

I&W -> Awake -> FII would be a good contender if FII didn't bog it down (not to say the album is bad).

Offline Freeze

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
The first three.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
The first three.
Interesting WDADU is nice but I would not in one thousand years put it with Awake and Images.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »
Tricky question, I like all the albums, but the ones I love are surrounded by albums that I just like and not appreciate as the others.

I'd say either Images and Words - Awake - Falling Into Infinity, with the first two carrying alone the weight of my preference, or the run of the Mangini albums.  Scenes is by far my favorite album of them but it's kinda "isolated", Scenes > Six Degrees > ToT is not a bad run by any means but there are stuff here and there in those other two albums that I'm not crazy about  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:48:13 AM »
I’ll go SDOIT -> ToT -> Octavarium.. though I must admit, my judgement is clouded due to Octavarium being the first album I listened to, plus the title track often gives me the impression that the albums better than it is (in hindsight) as that’s the main thing I think about when it’s mentioned.. so I’m possibly viewing with rose tinted glasses

Offline Pettor

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:31:33 AM »
Easy. SFaM, SDoIT, and ToT  :metal

First two are the best albums I have ever heard and the last is the reason I got into DT.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
The first three.

Ditto - if it comes down to WDADU vs FII then I will go WDADU.  As can sometimes be the case I think WDADU holds more value to me because I was "there" - if I came to WDADU late then maybe my view would be different.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Art

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:28 AM »
 Images and Words - Awake - Falling Into Infinity

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:59 AM »
This is a bit tricky for me, since my 3 favourite DT albums are all in different 'eras' - I&W, Train of Thought and ADToE, so there's no combo with 2 of them together (like a lot of others have with I&W+Awake and SFAM+6DOIT), which would make it easy.

Also, almost every single run of three has one of my bottom 4/5 DT albums in it. If my brain is working properly, there are 11 possible 3-album runs and the only one that doesn't have one of those bottom tier albums is Train of Thought-Octavarium-Systematic Chaos.

But I'm still leaning towards SFaM, SDoIT, and ToT, since Scenes is so close to being my number 3 DT album. If I had to pick one run to take to a desert island, I'd probably end up with that one - maybe all that time spent with 6D would finally help it click with me ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 06:23:39 AM »
For me: Awake —> FII —> Scenes.  :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:32 AM »
I'd have to go I&W > Awake > FII.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:33 AM »
FII, sfam, sdoit

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:16:44 AM »
Images, Awake, Infinity
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline adamack

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
Scenes - 6DOIT - TOT easily.

As you say, it was DT in their prime. I became a fan during the TOT days and man, it was great. It was so wonderful to discover the discography and being amazed by every album. I kinda miss those days, in which DT was nothing but pure joy amongst the fanbase even (considering TOT had its fair share of criticism back in the day, and now it's safe to say that it's aged wonderfully).

Yep those were the days. And I totally forgot that Tot wasn’t met with universal praise when it came out. If I rememeber correctly, did some people say it was too heavy, too much wankery, and JP was playing too technically without enough soul?

Tricky question, I like all the albums, but the ones I love are surrounded by albums that I just like and not appreciate as the others.

I'd say either Images and Words - Awake - Falling Into Infinity, with the first two carrying alone the weight of my preference, or the run of the Mangini albums.  Scenes is by far my favorite album of them but it's kinda "isolated", Scenes > Six Degrees > ToT is not a bad run by any means but there are stuff here and there in those other two albums that I'm not crazy about  :D

Nice, it’s refreshing to see some love for the MM era albums. ADToE is still one of my favorite DT albums, and I feel like it’s one of their more under appreciated ones. Really wish I could have included it in my pick somehow.

The first three.

Ditto - if it comes down to WDADU vs FII then I will go WDADU.  As can sometimes be the case I think WDADU holds more value to me because I was "there" - if I came to WDADU late then maybe my view would be different.

I can’t hate on that! As someone who isn’t the biggest fan of FII, WDaDU suddenly becomes a viable option.

This is a bit tricky for me, since my 3 favourite DT albums are all in different 'eras' - I&W, Train of Thought and ADToE, so there's no combo with 2 of them together (like a lot of others have with I&W+Awake and SFAM+6DOIT), which would make it easy.

Also, almost every single run of three has one of my bottom 4/5 DT albums in it. If my brain is working properly, there are 11 possible 3-album runs and the only one that doesn't have one of those bottom tier albums is Train of Thought-Octavarium-Systematic Chaos.

But I'm still leaning towards SFaM, SDoIT, and ToT, since Scenes is so close to being my number 3 DT album. If I had to pick one run to take to a desert island, I'd probably end up with that one - maybe all that time spent with 6D would finally help it click with me ;D

Your general top 3 is awesome! It’s very diverse and it represents one album for each of the 3DT eras - Pre Jordan/90’s era, the JR era/ start of a more modern sound, and the MM/current era.  I&W is their classic, and quite possible the definitive prog album. ToT symbolizes their metal side. And ADToE represents what I believe to be their absolute best of the MM era albums.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »

First two are the best albums I have ever heard and the last is the reason I got into DT.

This.

The run from SFAM through Octavrium is the perfect representation of DT.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 07:37:26 AM »
The Mangini albums for me.

Scenes-ToT would be next.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
Can I say I&W, Awake and ACOS?

If not, then it's pretty easily SFAM through TOT.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
WDADU, I&W, AWAKE

Offline Ruba

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline adamack

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »

This.

The run from SFAM through Octavrium is the perfect representation of DT.

100%. SFaM through Octavarium is pure DT.

Admittedly, Octavarium has dropped a couple spots on my overall list over the years as I very rarely revisit songs like IWBS, TALW, and NE. But seeing as how I believe the title track is the best song that has ever existed, (and TRoaE and PA still kick ass!), I still consider the album an essential. Also, the songs I don't like as much anymore still do a good job at representing DT, because they are still amazing songs, a couple which showcase DT's softer/ballad side.

The Mangini albums for me.

Scenes-ToT would be next.

Happy to see more love for the MM era!

Can I say I&W, Awake and ACOS?

If not, then it's pretty easily SFAM through TOT.

Yeah for sure. I originally was just thinking of their original full-length albums, but throwing ACOS in there actually makes things interesting. I wonder if anyone else's picks would change with it included.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Images & Words / Awake / A Change of Seasons

Sure, I'm going to include the EP (really only the title track), since this is 100% classic Dream Theater. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Images & Words / Awake / A Change of Seasons

Sure, I'm going to include the EP (really only the title track), since this is 100% classic Dream Theater.

Ditto for me. As much as I love FII, For me, its what Grapp said above.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline rab7

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
This is hard to answer for me.

I have SFAM and 6DOIT as my 1st and 4th favorite albums, but TOT is near the bottom for me, so on average the whole thing is dragged down.

Going through the discography, the only time I truly liked 3 consecutive albums is BCSL-ADTOE-DT12, which are all squarely in my "solid, middle-of-the-pack" section. And then you can extend that to ADTOE-DT12-TA (TA is my 3rd favorite).

That said, my rankings go SFAM, I&W, TA, 6DOIT, and then there's a big gap between those 4 and the next 9.

So since I Love SFAM and 6DOIT so strongly, that would reasonably make SFAM-6DOIT-TOT the winner.

However since the gap between ADTOE-DT12-TA is much lower variance and I don't dislike any of those albums, that should make that the winner.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline erciccio

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Easily I&W, Awake and ACOS

Without cheating it would be I&W, Live at the Marquee, Awake...:=  :xbones

Ok, seriously, WJamesADU, I&W, Awake...

Easier to spot the worst 3: Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, BCSL.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »
Worst 3 for me is tough...  I hated Octavarium so much that I actually thought the CD was defective when it came out.  However,  I listen to that way more than ADTOE now. 

I would probably go SC, BC&SL, ADTOE as worst 3.      Octavarium stands up better over time IMO than ADTOE does.

I already said my best 3 was FII, SFAM, SDOIT but if we are including ACOS now than that makes this incredibly tough.    I might have to give it a tie between the above and I&W, Awake, ACOS.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
SFAM - SDOIT - TOT

Online Mladen

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
As much as I love Dream Theater, to me, they've never released a streak of three great albums. But if I had to pick something, I would go with SFAM - SDOIT - TOT. However, the SC - BC&SL - ADTOE streak would be a runner up.  ;)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Easier to spot the worst 3: Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, BCSL.

:tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
Maybe someone should make a "least favorite 3-album stretch" thread.  :justjen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
Worst 3 for me is tough...  I hated Octavarium so much that I actually thought the CD was defective when it came out.  However,  I listen to that way more than ADTOE now. 

I would probably go SC, BC&SL, ADTOE as worst 3.      Octavarium stands up better over time IMO than ADTOE does.

Bottom 3 is 8VA - SC - BCSL or SC - BCSL - ADTOE

8VA and ADTOE are mid-tier albums for me.  I like both, and each has at least one all time great DT song.  It's just the SC and BSCL drag it down.  That and there's no other bad run of albums.  Excluding TA, which I don't rank, FII is at the bottom of my list, but it's flanked by great albums on both sides.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:51 PM »
I have a four-album stretch in fact : I&W, Awake, FII and SFAM.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »
SDOIT - TOT - 8V easily. There's just I&W which I could have ranked between these three albums but that was the gold era of DT for me.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E